Home

Neighbors dogs

Posted By: Vatrapper63

Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:07 AM

I have a neighbor who has three hounds and I have gotten along with him fine. One has a collar for an electric fence and is no problem. He yard is probably an acre and he has the other two hounds 10 feet from the property line in a chain link pen. The second my back door opens, it is nonstop barking like they had a bear up a tree. I was working in the backyard 2 hours last week and they never stopped to take a breath. We have to sleep with fans running because you never know when they are going to start in the night. I bought one of those so called dog silencers and set it up on my property 10 feet from the pen but it has not helped yet........ Would you say something or put up with it??
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:10 AM

Maybe a fence they can't see through on your side of the line or ask him if he'd move they to the other side of his property? Barking is what hounds do. I'd try a gentle approach to him, heck tell him your wife sent you. lol
Posted By: warrior

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:15 AM

Unacceptable. When I had hounds if they opened in the pen there had better be a coon making off with something or a stranger in the yard. No, excuses.
I had one that could be heard a mile deep on tree and I got rid of because the dummy couldn't shut up in the box. He was better in the pen but I want mine better seen than heard if they are not actively hunting.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:18 AM

Why have you not said anything yet? There is no reason to go on like that, I couldnt. I'm sure if he is a good guy, he will handle the problem, If not, use all revenues at hand, ordinance and such.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:18 AM

Sneak over and put some bark collars on them.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:22 AM

He most likely isn't aware of the problem, and won't be unless you bring it up. I'm betting he'll do something to remedy the situatiuon.
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:23 AM

Go get your gun, headlamp, and boots on, then turn em loose.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
He most likely isn't aware of the problem, and won't be unless you bring it up. I'm betting he'll do something to remedy the situatiuon.

Hard to believe the owner can't hear nonstop barking.

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:44 AM

Your approach to him will most likely decide how he responds. Maybe invite him over to your back yard for a couple beers. wink
Posted By: fieldsy

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 02:58 AM

clueless owner, who doesnt care what others think... Like you really cant hear your dogs barking nonstop??? You want them, you keep em quiet.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by fieldsy
clueless owner, who doesnt care what others think... Like you really cant hear your dogs barking nonstop??? You want them, you keep em quiet.

Dealing with something similar for the past 3 years. Tried talking to them but that's been a dead end. Talked to the township and they agreed it's a problem. They had a deputy stop by and have a talk with them but that was only good for about two weeks. Now anytime their dogs bark for more than 20 minutes straight they get another visit by law enforcement. Unfortunately the last deputy is clueless and probably did more harm than good.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 03:14 AM

Give them something to eat.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 04:29 AM

Did you move in next to him or did he move next to you? He is a lot more likely to be accommodating if he wasn't there first. That being said, I have a whole pack of hounds, I don't like to listen to them bark at the house for no reason. They bark when I feed them and when somebody pulls in the yard. Once that somebody stops and shuts their rig off they shut up. I do have one that wears a bark collar when I take others hunting and leave her home. She will wait until I am gone and then start barking because she was left behind. She knows she would get in trouble if I was there. Put a bark collar on her and she knows what it is and never makes a sound. But if I forget to put one on her I hear about it from the wife when I get home.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 07:14 AM

why I don't have neighbors within a mile
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 10:57 AM

I have been told there is no such thing as a bad dog. But bad owners are quite common .
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 11:24 AM

good luck , hope it works out for you
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 11:41 AM

I can't imagine having neighbors

WS
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 12:36 PM

Sounds like you live in town so I would think there is some kind of ordinance.

Maybe call the code enforcement and see what options you have.

If they seem like decent people I would talk to them first before getting law involved (filing a complaint), if they are known to be difficult let the law handle it

You could always fight fire with fire if you want. Dogs hurt your ears, get one of those whistles that people can't hear and blow it all the time when you are outside. Supposed to hurt their ears laugh
Posted By: Elkguy

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 03:13 PM

The fact that he put them next to your property line and not his house says it all.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Elkguy
The fact that he put them next to your property line and not his house says it all.

X 2 !!!

If the neighbor won't address the issue,
then it's time for a stealth - operation.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Your approach to him will most likely decide how he responds. Maybe invite him over to your back yard for a couple beers. wink

Then every time he says something, answer "I could not hear what you said with those dogs barking." It is the owners fault, not the dogs.
Posted By: bass10

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 07:28 PM

Yeh, my good friend was very good friends with his neighbor. His neighbor got a dog and penned it right by his bedroom window. So on those cool spring and fall days when most people
like to have their windows open he couldn't. He happens to be the nicest guy I know. He approached the neighbor and he went ballistic and they ended up never talking again. My personal
view is I fill up my dogs water twice a day, those dogs probably aren't cared for and why have them to keep them penned up barking outside. Good Luck!
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/09/23 07:32 PM

Talk to him dirst!! Give him the Benefit dirst!! Then id that does not stop let the Authorities make him stop!!!
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 04:14 AM

I do like the idea of asking the ole boy if you can feed or water his dogs for a while so that they figure out that you are not an intruder.
We had a Corgi that barked at everyone who came to house for way too long.
All I had to do was give that person one dog treat to give him, and he never barked at that person ever again. Now if he did forget, all I had to do was tell him, "Hey, he gave you a treat", and he would shut up.
We had a construction crew coming to the house for days on end renovating a bathroom. On day one, I made sure that each one of them gave him a treat. The only man that was not there that day was the plumber. That dog never barked at the other 3 guys when they showed up day after day even though they only gave him a treat on day one.
When the plumber came by, that dog barked at him like he was the mailman.
Now I am not suggesting that a pack of hounds is as smart as this Corgi, but all dogs are slaves to their stomachs and will respond eventually to the hand that feeds them.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by Elkguy

X 2 !!!

Better hope it's REAL stealthy if it's my dog.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 05:24 AM

I must say this post has me a bit confused. If someone's neighbor complains about the smell of cow crap... they're a CA idiot.

If someone's neighbor complains about the smell of skunk.... they're a CA idiot.

If someone's neighbor complains about you skinning a coyote in your front yard, they're a CA idiot.

If someone's neighbor complains about them shooting and processing a deer on their own land, they're a CA idiot.

But if someone's neighbor complains about hunting dogs doing what hunting dogs do.... somehow the dog's owner and NOT the neighbor is the CA idiot????
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 11:59 AM

I have owned multiple hounds and I did not tolerate their barking other than to warn of a visitor, man or beast. The barking can be stopped if the owner wants it stopped. Either the owner doesn't care or he isn't home when they are barking.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R
I have owned multiple hounds and I did not tolerate their barking other than to warn of a visitor, man or beast. The barking can be stopped if the owner wants it stopped. Either the owner doesn't care or he isn't home when they are barking.

True to this ^^^

*** And what Warrior said above ^

The Dog knows. If it's been taught.
Posted By: badger

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 01:01 PM

Let us know the outcome please
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 01:59 PM

Hounds are bred to be high energy. They see you out in your yard they just want you to take them hunting. They are bred to bark like that when their quarry is treed,. They have been conditioned to know that barking brings the human to the tree and trained to bark till he shows up. They can be taught to stay quiet in the dog box and kennel. Some people just never bother to start a pups training with manners. I would be as friendly as possible when you talk to him. Making an enemy out of a neighbor is never good. you may end up just having to tolerate it.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 02:07 PM

There is a reason my wife does not want me to get hounds again. I don't becuse I don't have time to run them 3 days a week year round to keep them in shape and on fire. And since I don't like hunting with just ok dogs I opt to not have them at all. The wife is happy becuse she hated one of my chop talking beagles years ago.
Posted By: BandB

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I must say this post has me a bit confused. If someone's neighbor complains about the smell of cow crap... they're a CA idiot.

If someone's neighbor complains about the smell of skunk.... they're a CA idiot.

If someone's neighbor complains about you skinning a coyote in your front yard, they're a CA idiot.

If someone's neighbor complains about them shooting and processing a deer on their own land, they're a CA idiot.

But if someone's neighbor complains about hunting dogs doing what hunting dogs do.... somehow the dog's owner and NOT the neighbor is the CA idiot????

You can't get away from the sound of hounds barking. It is unreasonable to expect a neighbor to have to listen to that racket constantly.

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Originally Posted by 8117 Steve R

True to this ^^^

*** And what Warrior said above ^

The Dog knows. If it's been taught.

X2

My neighbors dog is a German shepherd with little or no training. Dogs need a job and the dogs owner has neglected to give him on so has taken upon itself to create one, that would be to protect the family. The problem lies with the owner not agnologing the dogs warning so the dog barks at everything and continues to bark. I don't blame the dog.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 02:42 PM

Blame the dog or not when they bark incessantly or keep you up at night it's a problem when an individual has close neighbors.

I would talk with the neighbor and hopefully it can be resolved.
Posted By: BW55

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 02:43 PM

Something that I am not proud of but,during a neighbor dog barking session one night,I called them and barked in the phone until they hung up.
This was before caller ID and smart phones.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 03:48 PM

Record the barking, get a big azzed military speaker and point it at his bedroom window full blast.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 04:04 PM

I cannot tolerate a barking dog. All night...period.

Nights spent without sleep drives my normally placid, happy countenance, into enigmatic insanity until the barking is stopped. A sleep-deprived redhead , who loves firearms, and can fling an axe , is an unfortunate , formidable force , that just a few negligent dog owners have had to deal with , years ago.

Sleep deprivation has been a form of torture for captured soldiers for a long time. Constant noise is also known as a form of pollution.

It is very rare nowadays, that I hear a dog in the distance, day or night, and rarer still, see any dogs left to roam . These mountains are too full of wolves, bears, and ranchers who don't bat an eye to protect their livestock. I do have, about half a mile away, two men who run lion hounds. They sometimes pass by here on summer day runs, and their dogs are always polite and quiet when the owners stop onto the place to ask a question, or just to say hello and rest their pack in the shade. All dressed up with radio collars , etc. Nice polite hounds.

Two nights ago, a couple hounds obviously got free and in their brief freedom break, late at night, wandered near enough to here, to get the scent of my semi wild rabbits....this was a first. They have never broke loose before , to my knowledge.

I awoke to hearing a systematic noise in the distance...thinking at first it was a coyote. The short howls got closer, then I recognized them as hounds. Their calls intensified as they accessed my estate, and I knew they were onto finding my rabbits. A couple of more minutes and they raised the roof , lol...they found my rabbits , who hole up deep under my woodpile at night. Just like beagles down south, rabbit hunting...except these hounds were of larger breeds. No way to sleep through that ...so I put the flashlight on them, there were two. I yelled at them to shut up, stop, and go home. They immediately became silent, looked up at me, and without another sound, trotted silently back towards their place. They were very good boys, just doing what they are trained to do, out for an unexpected , short night's run. I didn't hear a peep from them since.

I would much rather have dealt with them, than the occasional bears and coyotes that need to be dealt with at times.

I even know of a sled dog owner, who trained all his dogs to be silent...no din of constant barking and howling tied to their houses . He couldn't stand the noise every night.

But a dog that just barks incessantly , all night, or every night, I have 0 tolerance . The same as teens who blare loud music into all hours of the night that have driven neighbors , even distant ones, a bit crazy. It is the unrelenting noise , regardless of its source.

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 04:10 PM

Well said Sharon....and remind me to stay on your good side.....
"Nights spent without sleep drives my normally placid, happy countenance, into enigmatic insanity until the barking is stopped. A sleep-deprived redhead , who loves firearms, and can fling an axe , is an unfortunate , formidable force , that just a few negligent dog owners have had to deal with , years ago."
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BW55
Something that I am not proud of but,during a neighbor dog barking session one night,I called them and barked in the phone until they hung up.

Hahahaha Awesome
...did it help?
Posted By: white17

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BW55

I have called several of them over the years in the middle of the night. If their dogs keep me awake I will keep them awake. I have never barked into the phone but I know they got the message loud & clear.

I have zero tolerance for barking dogs and less than zero for a brain dead dog owner who does nothing to correct the situation.

I am considering hiring Sharon to patrol my neighborhood.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/10/23 07:59 PM

wink
Posted By: charles

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/11/23 01:25 AM

Run a garden hose to your property line and attach a sprinkler aimed at the dog pen. When they bark, give them a soaking.

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/11/23 01:43 AM

VAT63 - Did you talk to the neighbor?
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/11/23 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by walleyed

X 2 !!!

Better hope it's REAL stealthy if it's my dog.

Yap, yap, yap............BANG !!!!! laugh

w

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/11/23 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by charles
Run a garden hose to your property line and attach a sprinkler aimed at the dog pen. When they bark, give them a soaking.

Not a bad idea but may not work well in the winter.
Posted By: Vatrapper63

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/12/23 10:22 PM

I sent him a text asking if I could have permission to scold the dogs when they wouldn't shut up and he said yes. Then I told him that they woke my daughter regularly at night and I had to run a fan and he apologized and said from now on he was going to be home on weekends (he works away) and he was going to take them out to hunt and that should make the situation better if they got out and ran, I don't believe it,, We do live out in the country. I have 5 acres and he has more than that. My next closest neighbor after him is well over 100 yards away. I believe he put the pen where he did because his dad put an outbuilding there for a long time ago and he keeps the dog food in it but the pen is closer to my house than it is his. He is a nice guy but he is young and is not around much and doesn't seem to care much about anything. I am going to take some advice and start with "being nice" and giving them a snack and telling them to shut up. If that don't work, I will try some methods suggested that are not as nice.
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/12/23 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by charles

We had a similar problem with the neighbor's dog. The dog was at the back of their yard, and across the fence from our backyard. It would bark, I would grab the hose and....wet dog. After about 3 or 4 doses, all I had to do was open the back door, and it would stop barking. Luckily the house was a rental, and the problem didn't last forever.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/13/23 12:39 AM

Real world advice-peanut butter sandwiches with a couple Tylenol PM’s in each. That will get you thru a night or two whilst you get a hole dug.

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/13/23 02:48 AM

Thing is that if you approach them about their dogs and then something happens to the dogs, who do you think they are coming after?

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/13/23 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Vatrapper63

I sent him a text asking if I could have permission to scold the dogs when they wouldn't shut up and he said yes. Then I told him that they woke my daughter regularly at night and I had to run a fan and he apologized and said from now on he was going to be home on weekends (he works away) and he was going to take them out to hunt and that should make the situation better if they got out and ran, I don't believe it,, We do live out in the country. I have 5 acres and he has more than that. My next closest neighbor after him is well over 100 yards away. I believe he put the pen where he did because his dad put an outbuilding there for a long time ago and he keeps the dog food in it but the pen is closer to my house than it is his. He is a nice guy but he is young and is not around much and doesn't seem to care much about anything. I am going to take some advice and start with "being nice" and giving them a snack and telling them to shut up. If that don't work, I will try some methods suggested that are not as nice.

Sent a text?

Re: Neighbors dogs - 02/13/23 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Thing is that if you approach them about their dogs and then something happens to the dogs, who do you think they are coming after?

Even if you had nothing to do with it. Learned that lesson 20 years ago. Now if I have an issue I take care of it and never say a word. Best thing is to put the critter in the road where it gets hit a few times and can be found. Then it just got hit and there is no wondering what happened to it if it just disappears. Now that's only for problem animals to my live stock or aggressive two my kids on Our farm not animals in their property or even close to the line on mine unless they have dead chickens in their mouth.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums