Home

Anybody trout line with plastic buckets?

Posted By: Leftlane

Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 04:11 AM

Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 04:54 AM

I've seen it done. lol It would be illegal in my state. frown
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 06:04 AM

Thanks. That was a good video.

Keith
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 06:37 AM

Looks awkward as could be. Definitely safer and more efficient ways to longline lair pots. I guess it works for him though. I didn’t realize catfish could be caught in artificial dens.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
Looks awkward as could be. Definitely safer and more efficient ways to longline lair pots. I guess it works for him though. I didn’t realize catfish could be caught in artificial dens.

We put small barrels , water heater tanks in the creeks for hogging flatheads the best thing with a small barrel if there is a fish in it stuff the end full of grass and stand barrel up and fish him out
Posted By: cotton

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 11:47 AM

trotlining
Posted By: jk

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 12:05 PM

What no blue bucket??
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 12:14 PM

What water temperature range will a bucket trot line work at?

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 01:05 PM

That would be good info to have. Also, will catfish spawn for only a short season, or all throughout the entire time the water temps are in that range?

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 03:13 PM

This what I googled.

Channel catfish spawn in the early part of the summer. Usually when the water temperature reaches 68 to 70 degrees the catfish migrate to their nesting areas and start getting ready for the annual ritual. The actual spawning takes place when the water temperature is a stable 70 to 74 degrees.

Seems like late May early June when pole fishing is productive off reservoir dam faces. I dont think a bucket line is legal here. Its a violation to place old bathtubs etc out and then noodle them anyway. I suspect the reg applies to a bucket trot line

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 03:37 PM

So it’s only effective during the spawn? And do eggs die when you pull the gear for the season, or can you dump em out and they survive? Up here lair pots are effective for octopus w a 9-10 day soak optimum.

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 03:46 PM

The eggs dont die from what I gather. They just stay in the bucket. With flatheads when you noodle one male off the nest another usually takes over.
Posted By: Kelly

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 04:27 PM

You mean trotlines!

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 04:35 PM

Spelling nazi is here, just our luck!
Posted By: cotton

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 04:50 PM

Ole buddy when tell ya how to spell something ya real trouble
Posted By: wytex

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 05:12 PM

Well there is no such thing as trout lines unless you're talking about the fishing line used on a reel.
Sometimes a little education is welcome, perhaps he thought that was correct spelling but now knows it is not.
No judgement on the OP, just a little education or joshing.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 06:04 PM

I wondered the same when I opened it, if this was going to be some new way of catching trout, but wasn't about to touch the spelling thing.
Posted By: charles

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 06:28 PM

I saw this type of fishing in the Med. They had trot lines with terracotta pitchers. They caught octopus the same way.
Posted By: billy

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 06:34 PM

Leftlane, great vidio sure shows how your people do it there.

thanks billy
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 07:12 PM

The main limiting factor of catfish in most bodies of water is proper nesting sites. Males pick out, clean up and defend a site. Females will inspect the site, lay in it if it is decent and move on allowing other females to do the same. One successful male will fertilize the eggs of several females. Most catfish in a population won't successfully spawn because there's nowhere to do it. The eggs will be reabsorbed or unproductively scattered, if there is no suitable site to lay in.

This is a great method of fishing because you're targeting male fish that are generally to small or weak to defend a natural breeding cavity and successfully spawn. It should help the population as a whole to remove them.

Keith

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 07:53 PM

So could you put out some sort of biodegradable nesting boxes to increase production?

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by cotton
Ole buddy when tell ya how to spell something ya real trouble

Oh yeah, I never even razzed coon man ot barry leroy about their spelling I knew what them meant (most of the time)
Posted By: Guss

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/09/23 10:39 PM

I'm going to try the buckets for cats this Spring.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 03:58 AM

If yur fishin in a crick, you say troutline. Y'all have yur fun spellin it. Makes me no nevermind.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 04:01 AM

When I was younger, I remember people using small trash cans.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 11:28 AM

You guys can have that size catfish! Can’t get the dark meat out of them and have to pick around bones . Give me a 30 lb plus flathead and I’ll get more meat and better tasting from the belly steak than all those combined! Plus have it cleaned cut and ready to cook in 15 minutes.
That said they got a pretty neat set up and really interesting way to do that

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 11:37 AM

You guys want to take an amazing catfish trip come to Ky lake around Memorial Day . Fish the riprap in the canal that connects Ky lake to lake Barkley. Bank or boat every cast is a cat from 3-20 lbs OR a blue gill you can’t reach around . Cats are spawning and bluegill are eating their eggs. We fish from around 5 pm to almost dark . Catch well over 100 for ever every evening. Best baits are leeches or shrimp. You can use crawlers but you’ll catch mostly blue gills with them . Slip bobber at about 7 ft deep 10-12 feet from the bank !!

Lot of people use cane poles. Last time I was there 3 guys from Indianapolis had 3 trucks with tanks on them and was sell to pay lake
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 11:42 AM

Leftlaner, my friend, you sir have some good rich butter on your noodles IMO. I enjoy your posts and this one is no exception. I sure do enjoy a good 'ol catfish dinner and appreciate those who wet a line to get me there. Good post. Keep 'em coming.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: pappy t

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
You guys want to take an amazing catfish trip come to Ky lake around Memorial Day . Fish the riprap in the canal that connects Ky lake to lake Barkley. Bank or boat every cast is a cat from 3-20 lbs OR a blue gill you can’t reach around . Cats are spawning and bluegill are eating their eggs. We fish from around 5 pm to almost dark . Catch well over 100 for ever every evening. Best baits are leeches or shrimp. You can use crawlers but you’ll catch mostly blue gills with them . Slip bobber at about 7 ft deep 10-12 feet from the bank !!

Lot of people use cane poles. Last time I was there 3 guys from Indianapolis had 3 trucks with tanks on them and was sell to pay lake

jbyrd63,
I've spent many a day drifting the canal. That's the wife's favorite place to fish. Can fill a big cooler quick on a good day.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63

Sounds like Heaven
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 03:40 PM

I thought you had to use blue buckets.

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 05:15 PM

Pappy I happened upon that amazing fishing by accident. About 20 years ago my son and I went the barkley shellcracker fishing. But because a rise in water shut them down we struggled. I saw a man and his wife cleaning cats at KY dam village. Ask him how he caught so many catfish. Told me canal and leeches. It was fun but time consuming fighting them in that current on ultra light tackle . My son hooked into an 18 lber up next to Ky and by the time we got it in we where 300 yards out in the middle of Barkley. Next time we went we had catfish rods !! That trip is unreal !! Our best evening was 143 from around 5:30 until 8 pm
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Anybody trout line with plastic buckets? - 02/10/23 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers
So could you put out some sort of biodegradable nesting boxes to increase production?

or every hollow log you find in a 2-3 foot length put in the bank where there is already a bunch of down wood

hollow logs bring no lumber value so they might be had for free for the hualing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums