Home

Prayer ?

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Prayer ? - 02/09/23 11:20 AM

Could some of you well informed shed some light on the proper way to pray for my enemies?
Posted By: cotton

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 11:40 AM

pray for them just like ya would anyone
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 11:42 AM

This is a job for Mark June.

WS
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 11:55 AM

I reckon if you are to love your neighbor as yourself, you should pray as praying for yourself. For example, if you believed the democrat party loved the U.S.A., your rationale side would hope and pray the good Lord brought you back to being in touch with reality. So I guess we should pray for those democrat supporting folk, in my example, that they see the light and return to reality.

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cotton
pray for them just like ya would anyone

One thing I have learned is, specifics matter.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 12:03 PM

The Lord's prayer is a good place to start.

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
I reckon if you are to love your neighbor as yourself, you should pray as praying for yourself. For example, if you believed the democrat party loved the U.S.A., your rationale side would hope and pray the good Lord brought you back to being in touch with reality. So I guess we should pray for those democrat supporting folk, in my example, that they see the light and return to reality.

I like it J, not sure I can do it, but I like it. lol
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 12:10 PM

And if that don't work, pray they are forgiven their sins, after they're smote!

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 12:13 PM

I was listening to Dr Stanley when I heard him pray for misery upon those obtuse in their denial. I got a yellow light when I heard it and was hoping I could get conformation it IS a green light.

Sounding like, not so much. frown
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 12:14 PM

I've never considered prayer a waste of time, but this may be an exception.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 12:42 PM

Everyone has until they take their last breath to ask Jesus into their heart. We are to love the person and hate the sin they are committing. I struggle praying for certain people, but I know I should. Power and money will not get you eternal life. Only Jesus. Less about me more about Jesus.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Could some of you well informed shed some light on the proper way to pray for my enemies?

First, I don't claim to be some holy roller, but I do know pray is a real and powerful.

If it was my pray, I would pray for strength, pray for finding the good in people and your enemies. Pray that you can show those kindness and love for those that you resent. I also would pray to give you the help, strength for the first step to show that kindness to people.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 01:01 PM

Open your bible and see what Jesus says about it . Not what Mark or what anybody else says. Pretty sure you won't like the answer. It doesn't involve politics.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 01:01 PM

Amen

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
Open your bible and see what Jesus says about it . Not what Mark or what anybody else says. Pretty sure you won't like the answer. It doesn't involve politics.

You just couldn’t do it, could you? lol
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 01:27 PM

Pray for them the way you'd want them to pray for you and your family. If they're sick, pray for healing. If you've wronged them somehow, pray that they'd forgive you. If they've wronged you, acknowledge your forgiveness towards them in your prayers. If they have needs, pray that those needs would be met. If they're not saved, pray that they'd come to know Jesus. If they're saved, pray that their faith would become stronger.

Jesus loves my enemies every bit as much as he loves me, and I'm every bit a sinner doomed to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) as they are without Jesus. I have people that are my enemies, and I'm sure there are people that view me as their enemy.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 01:46 PM

I just couldn't help myself sorry. I now will go away .lol

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 01:52 PM

lol
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 03:22 PM

I do believe that is one of the hardest things that Jesus told us to do,,, love your enemies. Pray for them that god can help them too,, to possibly reverse the course that is making an enemy. Keep malice out of your heart… sometimes they will always be your enemy no matter how hard you pray,,,,
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Prayer ? - 02/09/23 03:31 PM

The apostle Paul said we are to pray for our enemies. By doing so, we heap burning coals on their heads. That's not an act of retribution, but more a matter of conviction.
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Prayer ? - 02/10/23 10:59 AM

Pray that they come to know the Lord. Never pray ill for anyone. If you do, you may find yourself receiving what you pray for them.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Prayer ? - 02/10/23 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
The apostle Paul said we are to pray for our enemies. By doing so, we heap burning coals on their heads. That's not an act of retribution, but more a matter of conviction.

That's right , Rom12 20
How many times in the Bible is being tried by fire mentioned?
Removing impurities from precious metals such as gold and silver?
The next vs is ROM 12. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
We were all created in God's image, even our enemy's.
Some times they just need to see some goodness to help remove a little droth.

Re: Prayer ? - 02/10/23 11:49 AM

Now HT, there was a pastor of the colonial era that prayed for their enemies. Seems a band of pirates had raided and robbed the village in which he ministered. He called all the men of the church together and they prayed all throughout the night that those pirates would come to understand that they had done wrong and turn themselves in. Well come morning no pirates had showed so those men that had prayed for them formed a posse, captured those pirates, and promptly hung them. Read this story when researching the Black Robbed Regiment.

Re: Prayer ? - 02/10/23 12:00 PM

It seems God always instructs for us to do what isn't easy. Why would he ask us to do what we already do anyway?
The Word of God - recorded as God's own words by Matthew (5:43-46) - answers your question HT. No need for too much commentary except that our prayer should be that God would aid us in doing what we don't prefer to do (I know I can be a Jonah too often);

“You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Aren't we immeasurably blessed that God doesn't hate those who hate Him cause that is/was all of us. Simply put, God sent His Son to show us how to love the One we hate.

Blessings,
Mark
© 2024 Trapperman Forums