Home

New RV

Posted By: Bosco

New RV - 03/01/23 06:11 PM

I just bought a new RV but now worry I might not have enough truck, the RV is a 30' 2 axle , they say is 1/2 ton towable,I have a3/4 ton Chevy Duramax standard . Any experts here?I will get a equalizer hitch for it.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 06:15 PM

That's not a problem at all for that truck

And yes the weight distribution hitch is a must
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bosco
I just bought a new RV but now worry I might not have enough truck, the RV is a 30' 2 axle , they say is 1/2 ton towable,I have a3/4 ton Chevy Duramax standard . Any experts here?I will get a equalizer hitch for it.

What's it weigh?

I'm not an expert by any means but I suspect you'll be fine. Of course towing flat land is much different than the mountains. What year is the Duramax and what is the tow Capacity?

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 06:19 PM

How long is your truck ? Crew cab ?

If it's a regular cab I'd add the sway control system to the weight distribution Hitch
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 06:20 PM

You’ve got a Chevy. Might as well stay home.

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 06:50 PM

The camper dry weight is around 7000lbs. My owners manual says I can tow 12,000lbs. Its an older "05" truck, single cab longbed,single wheel axle. I'm in Montana so we got hills/mountains! It is a standard transmission and I think its low geared.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 07:44 PM

I would worry more about trailer whip headed down a big grade than being able to pull it up one. Keeping up with the trailer brakes and getting your brake control dialed in can help.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 08:07 PM

Plenty of truck for that camper.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 08:09 PM

You shouldn’t have any problems. I pull a 30ft 5th wheel with a 17ft Lund boat behind it with a GMC 3/4 ton 6.0 gas.
Posted By: warrior

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 08:39 PM

Big difference between dry weight and fully loaded. Tell the missus she doesn't need that extra suitcase. If you pull that off let me know because mine still won't listen, lol.

But if it were me I'd look at getting the trailer brakes dialed in and consider keeping your transmission and engine oil cool. Might look at aftermarket coolers. And stay on top of your truck brakes pulling is easy stopping can be hairy if the brakes aren't right

But you are well within safe limits.
Posted By: Guss

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 08:43 PM

Should bought a 3/4 ram.
Posted By: midlander

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
Should bought a 3/4 ram.

He said he wanted to go camping, not to the repair shop...:)
Posted By: charles

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 09:42 PM

My son has a similar RV. He tows it all over the US with his family of four. He uses a 2018 Ford Expedition with a towing package and is powered by the V-6 3.5 EcoBoost Engine. Absolutely no problems. Surprised me.

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by midlander
Originally Posted by Guss
Should bought a 3/4 ram.

He said he wanted to go camping, not to the repair shop...:)

Lol

Yep that Duramax was made for towing and has almost always outperformed the competition in similar year trucks
Posted By: Guss

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 10:10 PM

No the Cummings was made for pulling.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 10:10 PM

I think you'll be just fine, keep the trailer brakes working and take your time. If you do decide to sell the Dmax let me know, that sounds like a great rig!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 10:19 PM

I chuckle at the manufacturers statement that a half ton will pull that camper. I wouldn't do it. I just spent $4500 rebuilding the transmission in my halfer and my camper is a 20' that weighs 3800#. It was tough for 175k miles but not tough enough.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 10:25 PM

It will do good, sure wouldn't want a half ton.
Half tons might pull them, but I wonder about stopping them.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 11:18 PM

Towed campers that size with a half ton easily for many years. 30 foot is getting big for a half ton in wind but you got to load it up and go to the scales that see how much it will weigh towing it. Most half tons can handle 8 to 12,000 pounds these days. I got a believe a three-quarter ton truck should be able to handle that camper easily.

The problem with half tons is payload. Most half tons have less than 2000 pound payload and some of them especially the fancy ones, The payload is approaching 1000 pounds. Your tongue weight will figure into your payload. Most three-quarter ton trucks have substantially more payload than half tons.

Like others have said, get a really good hitch and set it up correctly, make sure your trailer brakes are working well and you dial them in from the cab, and last check your payload inside the drivers door and make sure you don’t go over that with passengers, gas, gear and tongue weight.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 11:46 PM

should be fine.
Posted By: frank1969

Re: New RV - 03/01/23 11:51 PM

My 5th wheel is 13000 # and I'm using a 1 ton with Cummings and it doesn't even know it there your 3/4 is plenty enough truck but get the kit so it will tow much better
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: New RV - 03/02/23 12:10 AM

I have a 3/4 ton Ram with the Hemi. I pull a 4 horse trailer all the way to Florida loaded and have never had a Problem BUT I also Have tranny coolers and slotted Rotors and Ceramic Pads. Also have twin Calibers on every tire. Yours should do fine. The Fuel Mileage will suck but you were not expecting any anyway!!!

Re: New RV - 03/02/23 12:19 AM

Thanks for the info and tips, ,The pickup has a 6 speed standard, I havent souped it up at all, but just a little anxiety going to such a long camper,I even started to look at 1 ton trucks.I've seen flipped trailers on the highways here.
Posted By: cmj

Re: New RV - 03/02/23 12:55 AM

I have a 28 ft travel trailer. Tow it with f350 7.3 4 door and long bed, no stabilizer or load dist hitch. never had any problems. Have also towed it with a 95 f250 gas ext cab short bed the same way, no issues.
You will be fine with that truck.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: New RV - 03/02/23 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bosco
Thanks for the info and tips, ,The pickup has a 6 speed standard, I havent souped it up at all, but just a little anxiety going to such a long camper,I even started to look at 1 ton trucks.I've seen flipped trailers on the highways here.

Just get a really good hitch and take your time. Don’t be rushed. Being a standard, you can easily use gears to limit speed downhill or move faster on the flat. Get used to it before you go on challenging mountain roads. It won’t be any easier with a one ton…. No need to buy a new truck….unless you want one, lol. Many people towing similar campers with half tons. Just take some easy trips to build confidence and make sure the hitch is set up right.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums