Home

Combination fur shed/meat processing shed?

Posted By: yote_trapper20

Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 05:29 PM

Anyone here have a shed that serves as a fur shed but also as a butcher shop for deer, chickens, etc? Best options would probably be to keep them separate but that would require a bigger space to split or separate shed.

Any issues with cross contamination?
Pros?
Cons?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 05:42 PM

I'd have it in two different rooms
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 06:15 PM

hamging meat takes on flavor easily i wouldnt recommend it unless very sanitary in fur shed lockers do not age beef with deer ect..
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 06:41 PM

I call that my garage.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 06:51 PM

I have a combo fur/butchering shop. Fur is skinned inside on the skinning machine fleshing stretching in one corner. Fur is dried in the air closet. Game and livestock gutting and quartering happens on the pole outside and goes in a walk-in cooler. Wipe everything down shop with with 50/50 bleach /water before bringing meat in from the cooler. Shop has stainless steel tables with 1/2" plastic sheet on top.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Castormound
I call that my garage.

Yep, same here.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 07:20 PM

Todays steak meal with twice baked potatoes and a splash of yote glands. sick
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 07:24 PM

Yes sir I have a 26 by 36 shop do everything in there I do kind of keep things separated like monster Toms set up is explained
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 07:37 PM

It depends on the amount of the fur handling that’s done in that building and lure/bait making going on. I’ve walked into some fur buyers places that were very potent just stepping through the door. I have 2 buildings that I would not butcher food in, I usually 1/4 the animal and do it in the kitchen 1/4 at a time.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 07:54 PM

Everything goes on in the barn here. Deer processing and fur processing. No contamination issues, tables and counters are always washed down and bleached. Just like in the kitchen.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 08:39 PM

[quote=Law Dog]Todays steak meal with twice baked potatoes and a splash of yote glands. :s YOU FORGOT THE BEAVER CASTORS!!!!??? How can you have quality dining without some Beaver Castors!!!??? How can you have a Quality Dining experience without your Beaver Castors on your Baked Potato?? People will think you are city.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 08:44 PM

I always wanted to start a Restaurant where the Hunters Trappers and Fisherman all met and cleaned and stretched their animals so we could Grill and eat them. I think Fleshing and Stretching would be the entertainment!!! It would be even better if we could get the women to do the Fleshing and Stretching!!!! laugh wink whistle
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 08:50 PM

In a Hooters like outfit! laugh
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I'd have it in two different rooms

Yep wouldn’t want to process meat where I put up critters but each their own
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 10:09 PM

A butcher shop on one of the Hutterite colonies here got shut down when the inspector walked in and saw a couple coyotes hanging inside.
Posted By: grumman57

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/14/23 10:13 PM

This is why I don't ever eat any food that somebody else makes. Some people have no idea what cleanliness means.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/15/23 01:25 AM

I do (to a degree). If you have a steel top workbench or a wooden top bench that is freshly painted (White) periodically, you can keep those surfaces clean with some work.

Or keep a one of those fold up plastic tables just for processing game. Those are pretty easy to keep stored separate and clean. The space isn't usually the issue, its the surface you place your meat on that can cause problems.

But yeah, my game is usually finished in the kitchen once it's in smaller pieces. A two stage process here.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/15/23 01:28 AM

There is absolutely no way I’d butcher a deer in my fur shop! ZERO chance!!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/15/23 10:05 AM

I do it , everything benches are stainless steel , i don't make any lure , and I have hot water to clean up everything never had a complain on any meat that I butcher
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/15/23 10:11 AM

I don't even use the same knives to skin and butcher deer with that I use to skin critters. I sure ain't throwing it up on the same tables that I lay critters on....no matter what it's cleaned with...
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/15/23 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
I don't even use the same knives to skin and butcher deer with that I use to skin critters. I sure ain't throwing it up on the same tables that I lay critters on....no matter what it's cleaned with...

I'm with you 100% , why would anyone risk contamination of wild game meat that you worked so hard to harvest .
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Combination fur shed/meat processing shed? - 03/15/23 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
In a Hooters like outfit! laugh

OMG haven't you looked around at conventions?
just
© 2024 Trapperman Forums