Home

Beaver pearls

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:17 PM

Anybody ever find anything like this? In all the years I've been trapping I don't recall ever running into this. The knife hit this "thing" embedded in the leather just like how you find a puss pocket. But this one was hard like a bullet and ensconced in the leather. Completely calcified.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:19 PM

Lead, puss yes but nothing like that!

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:33 PM

Maybe I'll sell it on Ebay for about the same amount of money somebody would pay for Elvis' old pocket comb.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:39 PM

Could be a the silver tip of a lead bullet!

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:51 PM

I am curious if any other big beaver producers have seen this before. I'm somewhere over 7000 for beaver in my lifetime and I believe it's the first I've seen.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:52 PM

I've never seen anything like that.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:53 PM

7000……. How do you even type??? My hand are numb after 4!!!! Really cool find btw!!!!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 03:56 PM

How hard is it? I would assume soft if calcium. I suppose there is a slight possibility it could silica. If so you might want to have it worked into a setting on a ring.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:04 PM

never seen or even heard of that before

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:07 PM

It is extremely hard but light weight. At some point I'll weigh it on my gram scale.

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:20 PM

[Linked Image]

This is the pelt it came out of, a nice blanket female off the Willamette river near where I live. You can see the kind of puss-pocket hole that it came out of; but there was no puss associated with it.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:28 PM

That is a government tracking device. Now they know where you live. smile
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:32 PM

What does it taste like?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:35 PM

Id wager that's been there for a long time, probably a year. Probably have something in the center of it if you cut it open or had it x-rayed
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:55 PM

According to a biologist/archaeologist friend of mine, people frequently have calcifications in them like that. They find a lot of calcifications at ancient burial sites.

Keith
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 04:58 PM

Cool.
Here is a thought! Maybe it's a piece of clam shell or fish bone small rock? that healed into a cut. Then over time wore it round and crusted over?
Like others Ive found bird shot and 22 bullets in beaver and other critters. In deer found healed in broad heads. Never seen any thing hard was usually like scar tissue ball or puss around items.
Maybe have mineral person look at it with a loop?

Mac
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 05:01 PM

Cut my foot on a beer bottle when I was in college.
Had something similar come up months later but significantly smaller.

Doc that cut it out said it was some type of foreign body that my body had calcified.

SniperBBB has the right idea
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 05:02 PM

Beaver are getting ready to evolve into oysters!! You found the missing link. laugh
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 05:21 PM

That looks like a kidney stone from Kentucky.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 06:34 PM

Beaver ambergris
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 07:54 PM

Beaver Birth control implant

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 08:12 PM

I'm thinking maybe I need to cut it open or candle it and find out if there is foreign material that started the pearl.

Could be a whole new industry waiting to happen: We live catch beavers; inject their hide with some grains of sand or whatever, and then dead-catch them after the pearls are big enough!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 08:25 PM

cool !!! I have never seen anything like it , thanks for sharing
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 08:39 PM

Alien chip
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 08:45 PM

Well Carl, I have found those in several beaver. I don't remember where I caught them, good chance one was from the Willamette. I used to ask biologists about things like that, and got few answers that I trusted. I suspect it is a calcified growth around something, like a thorn tip. Just a guess though.
Posted By: buster916

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 10:51 PM

did ya cut it open lets see what that looks like
Posted By: Mac

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 11:16 PM

Thanks for sharing. Never seen anything like it.

mac
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bearguy
I suspect it is a calcified growth around something, like a thorn tip. Just a guess though.

My thoughts exactly. Could be a little piece of barbed wire that the growth formed around. Or maybe a steel shot pellet that triggered the growth.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/15/23 11:56 PM

You guys that always want to just cut something open.. You never watched the blob when you was a kid. LMAO

Mac
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/16/23 12:04 AM

I have a big, movable knob on my left knee, just below the kneecap. When I was in 4th Grade a kid stabbed me there with a pencil and the lead broke off. Lots of calcification on it but you can still see the little black spot in the middle of it. It's a real bugger when I kneel on a hard surface.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Magnum21

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/16/23 03:02 AM

Some kid with a good slingshot went home telling a story about how his trophy got away!.
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/16/23 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I have a big, movable knob on my left knee, just below the kneecap. When I was in 4th Grade a kid stabbed me there with a pencil and the lead broke off. Lots of calcification on it but you can still see the little black spot in the middle of it. It's a real bugger when I kneel on a hard surface.

Moosetrot

Uh oh, did this happen at a school in northern Indiana around 1979, and is your name Danny?
If so, I apologize moosetrot. I was not fully in control of my emotions in fourth grade. But in all fairness I plainly told you what was going to happen if you stepped on my fingers again next time my pencil fell between our desks, but you didn’t listen…
Posted By: eedup

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/16/23 09:15 AM

Wonder if it's a calcified piece of bvr tooth ?
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/16/23 10:48 AM

Pretty cool! Much rather find that than this.
[Linked Image]

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/16/23 03:21 PM

Geez! That's almost more puss than rat!
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Beaver pearls - 03/16/23 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

Uh oh, did this happen at a school in northern Indiana around 1979, and is your name Danny?
If so, I apologize moosetrot. I was not fully in control of my emotions in fourth grade. But in all fairness I plainly told you what was going to happen if you stepped on my fingers again next time my pencil fell between our desks, but you didn’t listen…

Nope! In 1979 I was out of High School for 8 years. It happened at St. Mary's Catholic grade school in Pewaukee, WI....about 3 years before I got kicked out. If you would have stabbed me with a pencil in 1979 we may have had an "issue". LOL!

I don't think any of us were fully in control of anything in 4th Grade...

Moosetrot
© 2024 Trapperman Forums