Home

Toyota Stout coming

Posted By: Law Dog

Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:05 PM

Seen that Toyota will release a smaller pickup in the US to compete with Fords Maverick called the Stout this could be something cool. I was never sure why they stopped importing those smaller trucks but made V8s then.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:06 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: warrior

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:08 PM

So what will they come out with after it grows bigger like every other truck seems to do?

The tacoma today is as big as the T100 that is now the Tundra and even bigger.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
So what will they come out with after it grows bigger like every other truck seems to do?

The tacoma today is as big as the T100 that is now the Tundra and even bigger.

Always a ray of sunshine. LOL
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:12 PM

I don't see how a smaller truck can be of much use.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:15 PM

I have leased 3 Tacoma's and am waiting on my 4th. Have leased full size Dodge Rams but the older I get I prefer smaller trucks as I need access to the bed from the side. Will keep the "Stout" in mind after my next Tacoma.

Chris

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

Ideal trapping rig for me to work out of I cannot believe working out of most full sized trucks is as easy as reaching into a truck for what a guy needs.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:17 PM

They can have a use, mainly a niche one.

I can see them being useful for route work techs like pest control, urban delivery, etc. You certainly won't be using them for what most consider real truck work like the trades or farm work.

I would use a vehicle that size for trapping if just running traps.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:22 PM

They can have a use, mainly a niche one.

I can see them being useful for route work techs like pest control, urban delivery, etc. You certainly won't be using them for what most consider real truck work like the trades or farm work.

I would use a vehicle that size for trapping if just running traps.

I own a plumbing service business and find the mid to smaller size trucks more than adequate for my trade.

Chris

Are most full sized trucks used as real trucks today really? Most that I see are cowboy Cadillac rides if it comes down to that never used for work.

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Ideal trapping rig for me to work out of I cannot believe working out of most full sized trucks is as easy as reaching into a truck for what a guy needs.

I can see that. I guess it depends on what you're doing and where. I've had a smaller truck, and for me road lining coon I've flat run out of room if I'm having a good day!

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:28 PM

Looking for a work truck today is tough even out west heck finding a 2 door model is a challenge anymore. When I bought my access cab Tacoma the guy made the comment they don’t sell many 2 door ones and sounded surprised I wanted a 2 door.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:32 PM

[Linked Image]

Would be an ideal for the ranch and for trapping, fishing and hunting. We have full size and small pickups by far the small ones are so much handier and can go in more places than a full size in my area.

The only purpose for a full size here, is for pulling horse trailer and loaded up flatbed.

The only problem with that truck will be the cost.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:33 PM

One real advantage to the smaller truck though is that they are much easier to turn around on gravel roads.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:34 PM

YouTube thread said $25,000
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:42 PM

When do we get the same Hilux the boys in the middle east use?

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay

The are still making the next generation Mitsubishi mini trucks in other places also just not here I’d love to have one.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:49 PM

I would sure look at one depending on mileage and durability perfect for ranch type work and trapping.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:50 PM

As a second truck instead of the SUV the missus drives at the moment, I could see it being useful as it can't pull my trailers or boats of any size that I bring home to work on.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:57 PM

[Linked Image]
35 miles ro the gallon? smile

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 01:58 PM

I love me some mini trucks I bought this 91 D 50 V6 4X4 a rare bird so now I have another summer project. It’s actually made by Mitsubishi.

[Linked Image]

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 02:02 PM

I love me some mini trucks I bought this 91 D 50 V6 4X4 a rare bird so now I have another summer project. It’s actually made by Mitsubishi.

[Linked Image]

Nice!. That one actually has a bed on it you can put stuff in. That Stout looks like it's about 4 ft. That's what I mean about not being useful.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Giant Sage

[Linked Image]

That is a brute of a cat!

Chris
Posted By: gman

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 02:30 PM

I cannot believe working out of most full sized trucks is as easy as reaching into a truck for what a guy needs

Exactly!!!

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 02:32 PM

[Linked Image]

Nice!. That one actually has a bed on it you can put stuff in. That Stout looks like it's about 4 ft. That's what I mean about not being useful.

7 foot beds on the regular cabs and 6 foot on the extended cabs
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 02:35 PM

I've always had full-sized pick ups and I've always used them as working trucks; hauling firewood and construction materials and towing equipment. That said, I had an older Ford Ranger and most recently a Dodge Ram 50 that I really liked. As Jerry mentioned, the small trucks make great trapping vehicles and are usually much easier on gas than a full-size truck. Those little trucks seem to stand up better to normal wear and tear than their big brothers.

Thanks for the heads up Jerry, I'll be taking a close look at the Stouts.

My Tundra and my Ram 50:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gregh

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 02:45 PM

The problem I see with a smaller truck is the fuel millage. It is no better than the bigger trucks now days. I have a 2 door tacoma 4x4 for farm work and hunting but my full size ford gets the same or better millage and a lot more comfortable
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 02:57 PM

X2 missing my older Tacoma's they don't leave as much tore up ground behind.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 03:04 PM

X2

My bet is the majority of the trucks sold in the states NEVER see a mile of gravel roads let alone a 2 track.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 03:15 PM

I have a 06 tundra that is approaching 300k. I looked at some new ones and though they are interesting, the safety features seem annoying at the least. The beeps are out of control. They new tundra automatically put the ebrake on if you open the door and put it in drive.

Plenty of dirt and two track here. Just funny how most of the vehicles set up for that with all the bells and whistles and jacks and jerry cans seem to never be on them.
Posted By: nate

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 03:25 PM

Big trucks are toy's for wealthy boy's, the small affordable trucks are the real work horse's of America.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by nate
Big trucks are toy's for wealthy boy's, the small affordable trucks are the real work horse's of America.

Not sure about that. Can't pull a backhoe to a job site with a Ford Maverick.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by D.T.
I have a 06 tundra that is approaching 300k. I looked at some new ones and though they are interesting, the safety features seem annoying at the least. The beeps are out of control. They new tundra automatically put the ebrake on if you open the door and put it in drive.

Plenty of dirt and two track here. Just funny how most of the vehicles set up for that with all the bells and whistles and jacks and jerry cans seem to never be on them.

My new Tacoma is always making one annoying noise or another sometimes a couple at a time my first thought is always “ now what” .
Posted By: Squash

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 03:44 PM

If it doesn’t get better gas mileage than the Tacoma it will likely flop.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
If it doesn’t get better gas mileage than the Tacoma it will likely flop.

1.4 liter engine is what I got out of it I’d worry about being underpowered but they get a lot out smaller engines today.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 04:01 PM

They are sticking turbos on everything now days. I have a 01 Tundra and that automatic door lock is my pet peeve on it now. It was making a high pitch buzzing one day. I couldn't hear it but the wife could. Finally found was the chirp that activates when use the fob to unlock the doors. cut it out by the roots. It was on the right inner fender wrapped in black tape. has a red and black leads and can be unplugged.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 04:21 PM

Broke my heart when I lost this one in the shed fire it was a total rebuild motor, trans, seals, steering, breaks, suspension, posi heck everything replaced new on it. I added extra leaf springs and extended U bolts I'd just put it in low and haul a weeks worth of boiler wood in the bed no problem called it the tank. They show a 1 ton when I search for parts but never seen one.

[Linked Image]

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 04:28 PM

Did you do any body work on that one? The body looks pretty good on the other one you bought too.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 04:34 PM

Did you do any body work on that one? The body looks pretty good on the other one you bought too.

Not yet the new one will get fresh paint after its road worthy, I have a 4WD extended cab one in the shed that will get the motor, trans and posi out of the burnt one. I have a 2WD regular cab that might get scrapped if I can't find a good cab for it if not I have a motor and a couple trans for that one.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 04:45 PM

No salt here outside the bigger cities and towns so those paint jobs are original ones.

The burnt tank

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Boco

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 04:49 PM

Whitewalls really make the truck,lol.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Whitewalls really make the truck,lol.

This better ? It came with those tires and rims tires are weather checked a few crooked never seen that before. Put new tires and wheels on the other day rims off of a 97 Montero sport I like them.

[Linked Image]

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 05:28 PM

How did it get burnt?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 05:36 PM

I thought you were talking something along the lines of a porter.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 05:37 PM

How did it get burnt?

Boiler coal during a hurricane type wind got in the wood pile and scraps on the ground got the fur shed also.
Posted By: gman

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:06 PM

Ideal trapping rig for me to work out of I cannot believe working out of most full sized trucks is as easy as reaching into a truck for what a guy needs

Exactly how I think Jerry. I've got big trucks but no way I would ever use one for serious trapping. If you can't reach everything you are wasting alot of time and causing alot of aggravation. I've been using little trucks since 1980 for any serious trapping.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:11 PM

As long as it has a 6ft bed I’m interested. Or either the seats let all the way back. Got to have a place to sleep if the need arises. 4x4 and AC are a MUST!!
Posted By: 2zwudz

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:16 PM

I had a S10 and Ranger and both came in handy. You will laugh but i find my Toyota mini van (without the rear seats) to be much more practical the the little trucks. Only thing it needs is 4x4.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:34 PM

Didn't know you lost a D-50 in fire Jerry, that sucks.
They are a good rig, I've had a couple.
And go anywhere.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:40 PM

I like to set with the little truck but don’t mind checking the line with the bigger truck if I’m not adding a bunch of sets it works out that way. The little truck gets a guy through the tighter trails and the bigger trucks don’t get beat up then. Put a few grand in a little truck drive it for 8-10 years and your ahead with no payments or high insurance costs.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:42 PM

I just wish the Tacoma wasn't a $40,000 truck now. I kind of doubt I'll comfortable be able to drive a Stout, if I can I may consider one, stickered up "trucks" even if they are small are much better sales vehicles for me compared to cars.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:43 PM

The only issue I have with small trucks is being 6'2" and 250. But as long as I got some head room and leg room ill drive it like I stole it.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:54 PM

The only issue I have with small trucks is being 6'2" and 250. But as long as I got some head room and leg room ill drive it like I stole it.

6'4" 225. The New Tacoma wasn't bad but my wife nor I could sit in the passenger seat with a baby seat in back which is why I no longer have a small truck. Easier to just drive my work truck (F350).
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 06:58 PM

There's a lot of fullsize trucks in the fleet I work on. Boss man asks them if they can get but with a smaller truck like a ranger or a maverick. They claim they can't, and when we look to see what they're carrying, they'll have something like a couple shovels and some 5 gallon buckets in the back. Most of them could get buy with a Focus or a Malibu. They just want the truck because it strokes their ego.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:02 PM

They fit me well the Tacoma has a funky windshield post making it tough to get in and out of almost roll bar like. The older rebuild type truck a guy could fit a bucket seat to fit a guy since it’s not new and your going to customize it anyway.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:14 PM

My dream Toyota pickup.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:20 PM

I have a 1 ton Dodge diesel, 4 door, long bed. Great work truck for hauling loads, pulling a trailer, and I use it to haul elk hunters in the fall. Sucks getting around though, my Toyotas will go a whole lot more places. The new Tacomas are getting too big also. The 80's Toyotas were the smallest and fit the most places, but first generation Tacomas (97 and newer so the beefed the weak front end up that was in the first couple years) were a good compramise, a little bigger, but more comfortable, good clearance, good reliability, without being too big or having all the "idiot-proof" bells and whistles that are detrimental to actually using it as a four wheel drive. I never trap out of my Dodge and only hunt out of it when I am guiding clients, I like the truck but it is pretty helpless if you leave the main road and it takes 40 acres to turn around.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:36 PM

Toyota Stout.
I wonder if that name is a marketing ploy on words,as in International Scout.
Scouts were the go to for backwoods travel for years.
Lack of available parts made me get rid of mine.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:37 PM

Toss a posi in those little trucks with lug tires and they go about anyplace and get you back out, great trapping rigs I add on to or fill in my line every check so I have no need to haul everything on day one.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Osagian
Toyota Stout.
I wonder if that name is a marketing ploy on words,as in International Scout.
Scouts were the go to for backwoods travel for years.
Lack of available parts made me get rid of mine.

My guess sturdy stout as in strong

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:47 PM

Toss a posi in those little trucks with lug tires and they go about anyplace and get you back out, great trapping rigs I add on to or fill in my line every check so I have no need to haul everything on day one.

Yup, and better weight distribution than the old LWB full size trucks when unloaded.

Drove dad's F100s back in the day that could be squirrely on the back end on wet roads if unloaded and you got on it.
I say Dad's because as soon as I knew better I bought a Chevy, lol. But I swapped ends with one of those as well.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:48 PM

Stout to me means Guinness.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:51 PM

Stout is being advertised as an ev.....I'll never own one

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur

Now it makes sense. The bed is for the extension cord. LOL

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur

1.4 liter engine in the video. Might come in EV also
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 08:40 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The small tacos are great for SEPA trapping, easy to squeeze into small farm lanes, pull off road on tight spots. Love my 2 04’s. I have a FORD150 work truck from my employer. I run the Tacoma on the weekend only .

I will be selling the red 04 4cyl 5 speed later this spring. Only drove it 3K miles IN THE PAST 2 YEARS.

The best little truck with great curves.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter

X2

My bet is the majority of the trucks sold in the states NEVER see a mile of gravel roads let alone a 2 track.

The chicken tax adds 25% to the cost if they are imported making then not cost effective to import. Then there is the epa crap and 'the diesel motor option.

They can be bought in Mexico. Buy a totaled Tacoma the same year and swap the Vin #s so you can register them. But that to much bs for me . I sure would like a simple truck like my 94 Sr 5 was.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 09:04 PM

I don't understand why they don't want to make a real truck anymore. These new designs are mostly grocery getting station wagons. I see no practical use for a 5-6 ft bed truck. For work or over the road.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 09:08 PM

My dream Toyota pickup.

[Linked Image]

I've always thought a dropside tray would be quite useful.
Posted By: run

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 09:19 PM

What engine are these Ford stouts going to run?
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 09:23 PM

It's for the wives/women!

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I don't understand why they don't want to make a real truck anymore. These new designs are mostly grocery getting station wagons. I see no practical use for a 5-6 ft bed truck. For work or over the road.

Even a lot of the big trucks anymore are all cab with a 5 ft. box. I can get by with the 6 ft. but barely.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 09:28 PM

But at least there are options. Not that long ago a standard cab from 3 manufacturers was all you had to choose from.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by run

Toyota Stout start at $25,000 it said. 1.4 liters

The brown one is a Land Cruiser probably not coming to the US soon.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 10:19 PM

Toyota stout sounds like a good beer.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 11:05 PM

No salt here outside the bigger cities and towns so those paint jobs are original ones.

The burnt tank

[Linked Image]

Looks like a coonman truck
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 11:10 PM

The Stout will probably be based on an SUV and won't have a real frame (unibody) or 4 low.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by run

Toyota Stout start at $25,000 it said. 1.4 liters

The brown one is a Land Cruiser probably not coming to the US soon.

Thank you.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 11:55 PM

I think these little trucks are going to sell well.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/18/23 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV
The Stout will probably be based on an SUV and won't have a real frame (unibody) or 4 low.

I think you're right, I heard it will be built on the Rav4 body. Count me out if it is a Unibody. I want another small pickup since trading off my Tacoma, a new one for 25k would be awesome but not if it's a glorified car.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 01:27 AM

[Linked Image]
Picked up this one last august-Great little trapping truck.
Posted By: Rally

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 01:29 AM

Looks like an suv with a peach box tied to the back bumper!

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 01:47 AM

[Linked Image]

Boco, what you get for mileage?
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by panaxman
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The small tacos are great for SEPA trapping, easy to squeeze into small farm lanes, pull off road on tight spots. Love my 2 04’s. I have a FORD150 work truck from my employer. I run the Tacoma on the weekend only .

I will be selling the red 04 4cyl 5 speed later this spring. Only drove it 3K miles IN THE PAST 2 YEARS.

The best little truck with great curves.

I'd be interested in your red truck. How does the frame look rust wise?
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 02:09 AM

my wife and I travel quite a bit to the caribbean and I see those small trucks there all the time. I wish more were available here and I think they'd sell.

My brother had a D50 4wd back in the late 80's. I thought it was a cool little truck and I think there's a market for something that size now.

I agree with most trucks bought now days don't even go off the pavement and are bought as more of a status symbol than anything else.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 02:30 AM

I'm in the market for an unmolested tintop suzuki samurai that is cancer free. Probably a unicorn.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
[Linked Image]

Boco, what you get for mileage?

Uses around 12 ltrs per 100 km.overall.
Around 10.5 on long highway trips.
Posted By: blackoak

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 03:04 AM

[Linked Image]

I loved both of my Trackers!!! They will go places most trucks won't. Great for setting traps. I took the back seats out of mine and you can get a lot of equipment back there.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 05:21 AM

I'm with Bob, you can keep the anything but a standard cab and a 8ft box on a fullsize truck.
I'm afraid the new Toyota will come with a double cab or an extended cab at the least that means a 4-5 ft box.
It'll be more of a fashion statement than a mini-truck.
Posted By: blackoak

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 02:03 PM

I'm in the market for an unmolested tintop suzuki samurai that is cancer free. Probably a unicorn.

They are out there but at a price.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 02:48 PM

A no frills 2 door model would be a great seller IMO.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D

I'm with Bob, you can keep the anything but a standard cab and a 8ft box on a fullsize truck.
I'm afraid the new Toyota will come with a double cab or an extended cab at the least that means a 4-5 ft box.
It'll be more of a fashion statement than a mini-truck.

Not trying to convince you or anyone else to change your thinking on a small size pickup bed. I haul a lot of things 8 feet and longer with a 6 foot bed. I have a rack I can slid in and out and haul on the rack just about any length of material a full size pickup bed can haul. I just hauld 20 sheets of 10 long pieces of tin roofing with end gate down and had a couple 2 x 4's under the load. I have never had to use a full size to do what a 6 foot box can do.

Just my view on the 8 foot verses the 6 foot box.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 05:59 PM

Not hard to make a bed extender.
Easy to slap on or off when needed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:10 PM

Not trying to convince you or anyone else to change your thinking on a small size pickup bed. I haul a lot of things 8 feet and longer with a 6 foot bed. I have a rack I can slid in and out and haul on the rack just about any length of material a full size pickup bed can haul. I just hauld 20 sheets of 10 long pieces of tin roofing with end gate down and had a couple 2 x 4's under the load. I have never had to use a full size to do what a 6 foot box can do.

Of course you've never had to use a full size to do what a 6ft box can do.
But there are things that a 8ft box can do that a 6ft box can't do.

I have hauled 2 x 10 x 10 footers INSIDE the wife's minivan with the rear gate closed.
Regularly haul 4 x 8 ft sheets of plywood again inside the van.

My Dad regularly hauled 12 ft sheets of drywall in the back of his pickups. No way you can do that in a 6ft box.
You can haul 33% more wood chips, manure, gravel, or any other loose items in the back of a 8ft box than a 6ft box.

Also a truck with an extended cab or double cab can't haul (weight wise) or pull as much as a truck with a std cab and 8ft box can.

All this to point out stuff that a 6ft box can't do but a 8ft box can do.

Why limit how much work you can do unless there are other things that are more important. If that's so that's fine. At that point maybe a analysis of why a truck with a 6ft box is needed. If its just to haul the occasional couple of 10ft pcs of tin roofing a minivan could maybe do the job so the downside of having a pickup can be avoided.

a 6ft box is a compromise between a working truck and a truck that spends it time doing minvan stuff.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:14 PM

These new pick-ups are more cab than bed. For my personal use, I don't want cab space as much as I need bed space.

I get trucks in the shop everyday that have the turning radius of a school bus but only have a 6' bed. crazy

Seriously, if buying a vehicle like pictured, why not just buy a mini van that's has the payload covered?

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D

Of course you've never had to use a full size to do what a 6ft box can do.
But there are things that a 8ft box can do that a 6ft box can't do.

I have hauled 2 x 10 x 10 footers INSIDE the wife's minivan with the rear gate closed.
Regularly haul 4 x 8 ft sheets of plywood again inside the van.

My Dad regularly hauled 12 ft sheets of drywall in the back of his pickups. No way you can do that in a 6ft box.
You can haul 33% more wood chips, manure, gravel, or any other loose items in the back of a 8ft box than a 6ft box.

Also a truck with an extended cab or double cab can't haul (weight wise) or pull as much as a truck with a std cab and 8ft box can.

All this to point out stuff that a 6ft box can't do but a 8ft box can do.

Why limit how much work you can do unless there are other things that are more important. If that's so that's fine. At that point maybe a analysis of why a truck with a 6ft box is needed. If its just to haul the occasional couple of 10ft pcs of tin roofing a minivan could maybe do the job so the downside of having a pickup can be avoided.

a 6ft box is a compromise between a working truck and a truck that spends it time doing minvan stuff.

Sound like that works great for you!!! That is awesome.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
These new pick-ups are more cab than bed. For my personal use, I don't want cab space as much as I need bed space.

I get trucks in the shop everyday that have the turning radius of a school bus but only have a 6' bed. crazy

Seriously, if buying a vehicle like pictured, why not just buy a mini van that's has the payload covered?

Because manly men drive trucks! LOL

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:36 PM

Because manly men drive trucks! LOL

I hear ya, but those all cab "trucks" aren't far from grandma's mini van!

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:43 PM

I wish I could go with an 8 ft box and standard cab, but I need cab space for hauling family and such too. Therefore I make do with a 6 ft box.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:45 PM

I doubt the bed on this thing is 6' Trapdog. Looks like 4' would be pushing it.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 06:51 PM

Yeah, on the Stout it looks way too small to do much good.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 07:14 PM

You would think out here in farm country work trucks would be easy to find but the lots are full of show trucks they look at you like you’re crazy if you ask to see a 2 door work truck.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 07:17 PM

Because, last I checked, they don’t come in 4x4.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 08:48 PM

We can license about anything that rolls down the street here our scooter plate covers most vehicles if it meets lights, mirrors and a horn requirements. The reason we don’t use some smaller option is distance traveled on the trapline. We have UTVs, Kia trucks, dune buggies, 4 wheelers running the streets here.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 08:50 PM

You would think out here in farm country work trucks would be easy to find but the lots are full of show trucks they look at you like you’re crazy if you ask to see a 2 door work truck.

Personally for small trucks I like an extended cab with a six foot bed. I had a couple 80s regular cabs and while they got around great, if you had somebody riding with you there wasn't room to throw a lunch box in the cab with you, so the extended cab was a nice compromise, a little more room to haul stuff dry in the cab, plus a little more leg room for taller guys, without sacrificing bed space or getting too big to fit a lot of places. I also used to spend a lot of time hunting/camping out of those trucks, I can lay the seat down in an extended cab and sleep comfortably, in the regular cabs I always had to either open the doors and stick my feet out in the weather or drive the front end up on a bank to tilt the seat back and try and sleep upright.

On the other hand I've never understood the point of a shortbed one ton unless it is a dedicated towing rig. I like being able to throw a stack of plywood in the bed of my Dodge and close the tailgate, don't have to fool with trying to strap stuff down. I can haul a cord and a half of firewood on it comfortably, won't being doing that with a six foot bed.

You can't buy a full size pickup with a manual transmission any more, that right there tells you they aren't making work trucks, and I doubt anyone is making them with manual windows and locks. I was excited when I found my 08 Dodge with manual doors and windows. Bounce a truck around enough on trails and potholed logging roads with dust coming in everywhere to boot and those electric windows and locks always quit. Plus windows freeze in the winter, I don't know how many people I've seen burn up their window motor trying to break a frozen window loose. First thing I always did with my 90s Toyotas was remove the lock from the gas tank door, they would get water in them and freeze and I never liked holding a lighter that close to the gas cap to unthaw them so I could fuel up.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 08:59 PM

I like the 61/2 foot box extended cab.
The extended cab allows you to lock stuff up in the back,also the fold down seat platform with a roll out mattress makes a great bed for sleepin on long trips or overnighting on the trapline.
There is nothing you can haul in an 8 foot bed that you cant haul in a 61/2 foot bed.

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 09:04 PM

Doesn’t hurt to have a trailer if you run a smaller bed truck I run a 12 foot PJ trailer that’s the right size for my Tacoma.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 09:10 PM

I dont think 35 MPG mmmaybe 20-24
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/19/23 09:13 PM

Yeah, on the Stout it looks way too small to do much good.

Coon will never come back enough to make it worthwhile and just like now very few are saleable for a profit

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/20/23 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Because, last I checked, they don’t come in 4x4.

I think some of those vans come in AWD. Not much ground clearance, though!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/20/23 01:42 AM

Yes some mini vans have all wheel drive. I wanted that but it was not worth the extra 8k to buy the van with it over the one we bought.

I honestly really like mini vans. I didn't at first then I took over my wife's old one and after driving it a while came to appreciate how handy it is.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/20/23 07:17 PM

[Linked Image]

wow-beautiful cat!
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/20/23 08:58 PM

When we get rid of the EPA.
So the first of NEVER!

Re: Toyota Stout coming - 03/20/23 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

When we get rid of the EPA.
So the first of NEVER!

That might have been what killed the mini trucks back then the EPA regulations it was hard to figure why when gas was high nobody was making the little trucks but they kept pumping out V8 all the while. Back then Toyota and others car makers were getting 30 miles plus mpg and the EPA rules killed that.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums