Home

Southern Accents

Posted By: warrior

Southern Accents - 03/18/23 09:37 PM

https://fb.watch/jlW93cUafo/
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Southern Accents - 03/18/23 10:04 PM

Warrior- I've always thought that was the case, the Southern 'accent" was closer to the English accents than say the New Englanders. I've also thought that Aussie was similar to U.S. Southern way of speaking but with a different twist.

The Southern people were generally more isolated with their settlement penetration directions across a large regional space than say colonial and early national migration coming west from New England, New York, and Pennsylvania. A large number of Scot-Irish ancestry Southern families migrated the Appalachian great valley in the first half of the 1700s after not being in Pennsylvania for too long. And of course, much of Louisiana "Southern" would sound like French sped up because they originated in "Acadia" in what is now present day Nova Scotia but were forced out by the British after the French lost one of the early 1700s North American colonial wars.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/18/23 11:05 PM

There's two different French plus Spanish in LA. The Acadian Canadian French which became the Cajuns of South LA and the French proper of New Orleans who were the ruling elite of Louisiana territory. There would be a transfer of the territory to Spain for a short duration before reverting back to France who we would buy the territory from. These folks became the Creoles of New Orleans and surrounding vicinity.

Believe it not there is a difference.

BTW, there's more French influence on the Gulf Coast than most realize. Mobile was the first French settlement, to survive that is. New Orleans was the third settlement. The actual first near Biloxi failed in it's first year.

Later, Demopolis, AL would be founded as the Vine and Olive colony by French refugees of the Napoleonic era. Myth had them as aristocratic napoleonic officers actuality they were refugees from the Haitian slave revolt.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: Southern Accents - 03/18/23 11:23 PM

I've heard that Appalachia and Ozarks dialect are about the closest there is to old(er) English. Kind of a time capsule.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:02 AM

My accent is bad Appalachian. I cannot stand to listen to my voice on a voice mail. Never realized it was so bad. I call it a lazy tongue. I caught a lot of flak for it in the army.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1
My accent is bad Appalachian. I cannot stand to listen to my voice on a voice mail. Never realized it was so bad. I call it a lazy tongue. I caught a lot of flak for it in the army.

Same same. Northerners hammered me pretty good in the army. I can't stand to hear myself recorded. Sounds like lazy hillbilly.
And my daughter is a high school English teacher.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:16 AM

It's not an A-KORN, it's akern, real fast, almost one syllable.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:40 AM

Yanks in the army never understand light bread or sweet milk. Matter of fact they kept asking me to say light for some odd reason.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:41 AM

LOL all you people hating your accent... I love the southern accent better than any other accent... on men or women.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:48 AM

Ain't hating on it. Mine actually has two gears depending on the company. Goes into low range when the yanks are around.

Matter of fact here's a tip for you non southern speakers. When it goes deep country it's about to get real. And if it's a southern gal saying it you better get out of dodge.
Posted By: coalminer7755

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:57 AM

I'm from SWPA all my life. Most folks around here say I talk sorta funny. I'm just a hillbilly farmer. Some ask me where I'm from in the south, and southern folks ask me where in the heck I'm from. I'm all mixed up. Lol

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 01:23 AM

An interesting subject. Daughter was in theater in college and took some language courses. She says there are trained linguists that can hear someone talk and pinpoint them by their dialect to the small area that they came from. Most original settlers in the Southern Ozarks (came from Middle and Eastern Tennessee which is Appalachia), and Appalachia and have hints of what is called Elizabethan English. Scotch Irish folk.
The most neutral American English comes from of all places, Montana, Wyoming, Western Dakotas. The upper west.
I'm really OK with the way I talk. There are times I wish I could talk, not necessarily better, but more neutral. More articulate.
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 01:36 AM

I think I speak pretty well for being deep southern. Personally I don’t feel like I have a strong accent but I have people tell me how my voice is real distinct. I have a very deep Randy Travis/Josh Turner sounding voice. I never realized how strong it was till I first heard myself recorded. Scout1 is spot on with Akern. Ive caught flak for that quite a few times.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 01:36 AM

There are definite differences in southern dialects. North Alabama has the hard R while lower Alabama drops to a soft R. My daddy's people are from lower Alabama and I was sent to speech classes early in school because of it. I still remember the sentence, Robert had a red rooster, and hate it to to this day. Mama was North Alabama hard R.

Parts of Mississippi even throw in hard Rs where none exist as in warsh or squarsh.

The low country in the Carolinas have their own soft accent as well, which is where most of lower Alabama originated.

This reflects the two routes into Alabama. Across the coastal plain/federal road out of the Carolinas and down through the Appalachians/Cumberland Gap.

Georgia has a similar North South difference as well though not as influenced in the North due to being on the east side of the mountains.
Posted By: Dewey S

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 01:43 AM

I’m from the mountains of Virginia. When I was in the military everybody thought I was from Texas because of my accent.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 01:47 AM

My dad’s side is from Ashland AL area. Mom used to laugh about how dad used to say he needed to throw some ar in his tar. My mom’s side is Lakeland, Fla. They have their own dialect down there but to me it doesn’t sound near as southern as GA. We moved up to GA when I was three so my dialect is pure GA. My cousins down in Fla. sometimes laugh at what and how I say certain things.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 01:52 AM

Had cousins that grew up in Clearwater, FL. They were as pure Alabama as I, with a mom from Butler and Dad from Boaz yet they sounded like yankees.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by T-REV
dad used to say he needed to throw some ar in his tar. .

True. If there ain't no ar in that tar, you ain't gonna get very far.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:06 AM

Glad i don't have an accent, that must be terrible.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Yanks in the army never understand light bread or sweet milk. Matter of fact they kept asking me to say light for some odd reason.

Them Yanks are going to be surprised when they die and God Tells them to Git in the Truck we goin up to the Big house now!!!

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:10 AM

JTRAPPER, It's jist ar cross to bear.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Osagian
dad used to say he needed to throw some ar in his tar. .

True. If there ain't no ar in that tar, you ain't gonna get very far.

Probly from ridin over these (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) akerns and the tar got a hole in it! grin

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by randall brannon

Them Yanks are going to be surprised when they die and God Tells them to Git in the Truck we goin up to the Big house now!!!

Ain't that the truth!

As cousin Hank put it.

If heaven ain't alot like Dixie, I don't want to go

Just send me to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) or New York City
It would be about the same to me

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:18 AM

My wife used to give me flak for a long time about ordering mashed tadors and corn as my sides at dinner one night. She has firmly accepted that she has married a hillbilly.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:25 AM

There are definite differences in southern dialects. North Alabama has the hard R while lower Alabama drops to a soft R. My daddy's people are from lower Alabama and I was sent to speech classes early in school because of it. I still remember the sentence, Robert had a red rooster, and hate it to to this day. Mama was North Alabama hard R.

Parts of Mississippi even throw in hard Rs where none exist as in warsh or squarsh.

The low country in the Carolinas have their own soft accent as well, which is where most of lower Alabama originated.

This reflects the two routes into Alabama. Across the coastal plain/federal road out of the Carolinas and down through the Appalachians/Cumberland Gap.

Georgia has a similar North South difference as well though not as influenced in the North due to being on the east side of the mountains.

Wobart had a wed wooster?

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:26 AM

My wife used to give me flak for a long time about ordering mashed tadors and corn as my sides at dinner one night. She has firmly accepted that she has married a hillbilly.

Mine knew what she was getting when the waitress in this one restaurant brought out a pan of cornbread and I asked for a glass of buttermilk. Sitting there in a fancy restaurant in suit and tie eating cornbread and clabber.

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1

Wobart had a wed wooster?

Yup
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dewey S
I’m from the mountains of Virginia. When I was in the military everybody thought I was from Texas because of my accent.

I grew up on the Pacific, but I grew up around a bunch of West Virginia hillbillies and some tarheels from North Carolina. That blended in to an accent where I was often asked if I was from Texas. Nowadays I just get asked, "where are you from?"

If I spend a couple hours on the phone with somebody from the south, especially the Carolinas, I get off of there talking like a born and raised tarheel.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 03:40 AM

The girls at Tractor Supply never want to let me out of the shop without have had a chat with me because they love my accent . And I don't have a clue what sort of accent I have as I lived in so may different places and worked with many different nationalities that in my book, its all a messed up mix
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 03:46 AM

The southerners have accents? The last time I was in the south they pegged me from being from Minnesota. I must be the one with the accent.
Posted By: BRONZEBACK

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 04:48 AM

You all sound like Boomhauer from King Of The Hill to me!!!
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Osagian
I've heard that Appalachia and Ozarks dialect are about the closest there is to old(er) English. Kind of a time capsule.

Sure is!

There used to be an outfit that did Shakespeare in appalachian accent. Once you hear it, the play, with the different cadence, suddenly is much easier to understand and enjoy.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 05:42 AM

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 06:14 AM

I watched the whole video. Very very interesting.
Yeah,that's kinda,,,,,,,the way I talk.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 09:41 AM

Record away, nobody sounds better saying it than me! lol
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 10:45 AM

I see a lot of younger people losing it from watching too much tv and actually caring what other people think of it. I’ve seen speech captioned on tv when I could understand it perfectly. A little known southern secret…..when we get around people that make fun of it we double it and lots of times are amused at your accent. I used to make fun of people I worked with from other states without being mean about it and they never ever realized they were actually being played.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 11:46 AM

y'all sure do talk funny!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Southern Accents - 03/19/23 12:10 PM

Whenuhza lasime summause folks bendown yonder?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums