Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 10:28 PM

your kidding right ?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 10:29 PM

I’d rather see drug testing to vote. LOL
Posted By: EdP

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 10:30 PM

No

The 19th was ratified after FDR was elected to 4 terms. It was the first time any president departed from the standard established by G Washington. No other president ran for more than 2 terms. FDRs outsized ego and unabated appetite for power was recognized and controls put in place to make sure it didn't happen again.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 10:41 PM

Yep. Abolished. This liberal woke destruction of our country would not be happening if women could still not vote. I know two women who voted for Bill Clinton cause they thought he was good looking. So there is no confusion it should be males, defined as being born with a penis, who are property owners. Just like we started out with.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 10:43 PM

LOL, sounds like my wife.
She always says women shouldn't be allowed to vote, and that white Karens are the worst...
Posted By: warrior

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP
She always says women shouldn't be allowed to vote, and that white Karens are the worst...

Mine as well.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:12 PM

We are a representative republic as in the head of the household voting.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:22 PM

Let's go back to owning land,house to vote
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Yea or Nay?

28 percent of Congress is female.

12 governors are women.

Your dream will never happen.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

Yea or Nay?

12 governors are women.

Never is a long time.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

Yea or Nay?

12 governors are women.

Tell that to Iran.

Pre 1979...

[Linked Image]

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:45 PM

LOL, way we are headed, white heterosexual Christian men will be disenfranchised before long...
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/23/23 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
No

The 19th was ratified after FDR was elected to 4 terms. It was the first time any president departed from the standard established by G Washington. No other president ran for more than 2 terms. FDRs outsized ego and unabated appetite for power was recognized and controls put in place to make sure it didn't happen again.

Consistent leadership during a major war is kind of important.

I might not agree with his politics but it made sense to continue to serve at the time.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 12:10 AM

It's not a male/female problem, it is the overall dumbing down of the voting public, mostly due to mainstream and social media.
However, we also made a huge mistake in 1973 when the voting age went from 21 to 18. A far better move would have been adjusting it to 25, or better yet 30.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101
It's not a male/female problem, it is the overall dumbing down of the voting public, mostly due to mainstream and social media.
However, we also made a huge mistake in 1973 when the voting age went from 21 to 18. A far better move would have been adjusting it to 25, or better yet 30.

I see it more of a failure of men.

We let them have their way and failed to be the head of the household. Look at the spoiled generations that resulted.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 12:16 AM

Should be based on taxes, no federal tax, no vote. Works for me.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 12:31 AM

Doing away with Oprah and The View would take care of most of the problem.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 12:37 AM

We let them have their way and failed to be the head of the household. Look at the spoiled generations that resulted.

Well, it may have been 1971, but I was in high school civics class at the time they lowered to voting age. Had a fairly heated arguement with the civics teacher who insisted that it was our duty to get out and vote. I pointed around the room and said there wasn't a person in this class that knows or cares enough about politics to make an intelligent vote on who should be running things. I thought I was right then, but I know it for sure now.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:10 AM

Plenty of women are smarter than a lot of men and are more than capable of heading a household.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

Plenty of women are smarter than a lot of men and are more than capable of heading a household.

So little Timmy, who has two moms, is twice as lucky???
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:25 AM

grin
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:28 AM

Do you not know anyone who was raised by a single mother? 2 kids I grew up with lost their dads, moms worked full time and raised the kids. Wasn't easy for them I'm sure but they did what they had to and made it work.
Posted By: buster916

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:35 AM

can't believe there are many that would not want their mom to vote.
Posted By: J Staton

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by buster916
can't believe there are many that would not want their mom to vote.

I wish I couldn't vote for senate. Repeal the 17th.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton

I don't see the end result being much different than the popular vote. If the population of the state is liberal enough to elect a liberal legislature, that legislature would would in turn elect liberal senators.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Posco

I don't see the end result being much different than the popular vote. If the population of the state is liberal enough to elect a liberal legislature, that legislature would would in turn elect liberal senators.

Generally true BUT the majority of state legislatures are Republican controlled.

My own Georgia for example wouldn't have Warlock and Asshat as senators.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:21 AM

Warrior you are an idiot.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:21 AM

one of the biggest reasons we have problems is all the kids raised by just women....it is a fact.

But, do not worry because voting really no longer matters.
Posted By: JD Nichols

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:34 AM

Must be at least 35 years old
Be a natural-born citizen of the U.S.
Must have lived in the U.S. for at least 14 years

If these are the requirements to BE the President, Maybe the same should be required to VOTE for the President as well.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:52 AM

The devouring mother is a big reason why this country is falling fast. Need to get the family unit back in order and start condemning promiscuity and childbirth before marriage again.

Now, anything goes. I can't say I'm for abolishing the 19th, but generational welfare due to the breakdown of the family unit and allowing those individuals to vote is not helping. Young men who get someone pregnant out of wedlock should be shamed as well. IMO, this is the heart of all our problems in this country, their is no longer any accountability for ones actions. It will be painful, but the welfare must end and their must be some sort of ramifications for young men throwing out babies left and right with no accountability.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:57 AM

I lean more towards Heinlein's alternative, you most have served in the military or similar to vote.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 03:05 AM

^^^^ or own land and pay taxes. Voters need to have some skin in the game.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
I lean more towards Heinlein's alternative, you most have served in the military or similar to vote.

X2!!

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Posco

Wouldn't help much in Maine but would likely help in states where the majority of the state is conservative but the big cities population out votes them, or maybe I should say out cheats them, in the general election.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 10:37 AM

The opposite of most of the suggestions in this thread is what is likely.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 10:46 AM

Another benefit of repealing the 17th, is that the folks doing the choosing of senators would live among us, not in Fort D.C.
How does that saying go? "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer".
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Yep. Abolished. This liberal woke destruction of our country would not be happening if women could still not vote. I know two women who voted for Bill Clinton cause they thought he was good looking. So there is no confusion it should be males, defined as being born with a penis, who are property owners. Just like we started out with.

I bet the ladies on this site have a different opinion
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by EdP
No

Sometimes the things I read on hear make my brain hurt. The 19th Amendment was ratified in 1920 (12 years prior to FDR):
https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/People/Women/Nineteenth_Amendment_Vertical_Timeline.htm#:~:text=Approved%20by%20the%20Senate%20on,long%20fight%20for%20political%20equality

Suggesting that we disenfranchise half of the American population is a slap in the face to all women. I can't even begin to fathom how our female members are feeling right now. Please know that all members on here do not share this viewpoint.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 11:13 AM

Folks sure are sensitive. Women don't need to vote for they wield a much greater power for molding a nation...motherhood.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by DaveP

Mine as well.

Mine too.

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 12:04 PM

I don't like the term "toxic masculinity" either. So if some female members don't like what I write I guess they can PM me with a tongue lashing or tell me face to face at a get together, or make a public post.

BTW my wife agrees with me on women voting. It's not going to change but not putting Carrie Nation in jail gave us the 18th amendment. It was not men claiming that the government had an obligation to protect people from themselves. It WAS men that finally repealed it after organized criminal enterprises were formed to supply ethanol. Enterprises that have gotten enormously profitable with other drugs still being illegal under prohibition laws.

It was not a preponderance of men that supported any gun control or animal rights laws either.

Men who own property have skin in the game. We should go back to that group being who votes. Its not going to happen but we would certainly benefit from it.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 12:17 PM

Danny, I remember as a kid that in my township elections for local tax issues only property owners were allowed to vote on those referendums. That was back in the late 50s or early 60s in Michigan.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I’d rather see drug testing to vote. LOL

This
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:24 PM

If you want to solve a lot of problems.
1--- one term for Senators,and one term for congressmen. period.
2---- every single body pays federal income tax, everybody then has skin in the game.
And yet,I bet the big powers that be will still control, but it might be a little tougher .
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 01:46 PM

I can see the point of if you don't pay taxes you don't vote but that's only to a point. How many taxes do people on social security pay? You do know a lot of them have paid in over the years and don't now right? A lot of them are also conservative.

The whole owning land thing is an idiotic stance. We own a house does that count? Here's the other thing on that and it's hard for some here to wrap their head around. Some people don't own a home and never will. Does that mean they're liberal or progressive and will vote Democrat? No it doesn't. Also some people when they get older and retire sell their home and spend part of the year traveling to other areas for example the term snowbirds. They may do long term rentals a couple places or more a year so you're going to say they can't vote?

I agree with Green Bay. Reading some of the comments on here does make my head hurt

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 02:02 PM

Badger23 that was how it was for a long while. The last state to abolish property qualification was North Carolina in 1856

I am aware my opinion is in the minority. Won't happen.

Why would someone rent rather than own except the very young just starting out? Even making payments is no more expensive than rent. With the added benefit that you keep some of the money your making payments with in the form of equity.

People who never buy a home are not responsible with their own money. How can they be trusted to vote responsibly?

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by PSB1011
If you want to solve a lot of problems.
1--- one term for Senators,and one term for congressmen. period.
2---- every single body pays federal income tax, everybody then has skin in the game.
And yet,I bet the big powers that be will still control, but it might be a little tougher .

Surefire recipe for staffer control of the swamp. We already have the big issue of the bureaucratic state. Lifetime federal employees doing as they please without penalty. Rotating congress out every six years does nothing to allow power groups within the congress to move against the bureaucracy.

We need to return to the spoils system that we used to have. Where the incoming president can fire or hire at will in the executive.

Return to state legislature appointment of senators.

The income tax should be abolished
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 04:01 PM

Danny, home ownership isn't always the better option. A renter does not have to pay property taxes, repair cost and interest on a home loan.

I pay around $3200 in property taxes on my home which figures out to about $250 a month. Interest rates are high right now for home buyers. Mine is under 3% due to excellent credit. Add in the cost of maintaining a home and it can run into a lot of money real fast.

I've got a friend who's going to be 60 this year (retired navy 22 years and retired from where we both worked in June 2022). He's rented since I've known him about 12 years or so. He's got a great deal at $400 a month for a small 3 bedroom 1 bath house with a single garage. He used to talk about buying and I'd shake my head and tell him you can't buy for what you're paying right now after you figure in proprerty taxes, interest, and maint. cost. He doesn't even mention it anymore and he knows it wouldn't make sense at his age. He also would be tied down if he did want to move.

Alot of times if people hold their money together when they sell a home after they figure in all the costs they're doing good. There are exceptions both ways.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 04:53 PM

Being SS and your retirement investments all get taxed how does anyone not pay taxes when retired?
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Abolish the 19th - 03/24/23 05:01 PM

Rather than attacking all women, attack the ones who deserve it.

A few examples:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Total morons--just different parties.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums