Home

State vehicle inspections

Posted By: Posco

State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 12:40 PM

A license to steal?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 12:44 PM

another tax miss represented as there to provide greater safety

the states with don't turn in significantly fewer accidents or fatalities.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 12:51 PM

Its ridiculous. Especially in rhe north with all the salt that gets used and rusting out everything.

Luckily Ohio doesn't do this. There is inspections to be able to get a salvage title vehicle back on the road.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 12:53 PM

I try not to begrudge them because you wouldn't beleive what some consider to be road worthy in South Texas
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 12:57 PM

Nebraska used to do it but thankfully did away with it. They need to worry more about the individual driver than if the muffler is rusty.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 01:10 PM

Just another tax ripe with corruption in many states, the same with city stickers forced taxation a tax for what really.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 01:11 PM

I dont have a problem with commercial vehicle inspections but POV's? uhuh

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I dont have a problem with commercial vehicle inspections but POV's? uhuh

Agree that makes more sense on the big trucks Illinois inspections were leave a $20 on the seat and pass no problem.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 01:53 PM

WV has Inspection stickers. It was originally SUPPOSED to be a Temporary thing to help with Road Work but as usual it is now permanent and usually raises every year. Just a Gimmick.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

According to the GAO, there is no statistical difference in crashes or fatalities between states that mandate inspection and those that don't.

A fellow who operates an auto repair shop locally posted a YouTube video of a pickup truck losing its front tire causing a severe accident. He suggested this is why vehicle inspections were necessary. It wouldn't be the first time a mechanic failed to tighten lugnuts. I pointed that out to him in the comments section.

I was looking at an older Jeep in excellent shape with very low mileage. The seller mentioned it needed
a clutch bearing. Armed with the research I'd done, I called the same mechanic to get a quote. He quoted a price three times as high as the part I had already sourced. We're talking multiple hundreds of dollars for the same part. I understand people are in business to make money but...

The state issues these inspection licenses to these mechanics and we're at their mercy. Unless your vehicle fairly recently rolled off the assembly line, these guys always manage to find something that fails inspection.

There's got to be a better way.

Posted By: hippie

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:16 PM

[Linked Image]

grin

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
[Linked Image]

grin

Ours are color coded and displayed on the windshield. Police know at a glance whether your vehicle inspection is current or not.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:23 PM

Ours are too, that's my license to rip you off with.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:28 PM

Jerk. I mean that in the kindest possible way.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:37 PM

Ours or. Color coded to. You can buy a sticker for one year for 10 or two years for 20. And if you have a trailer with two plus axles. You have to get one for them too! It’s just a tax!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:42 PM

No inspection necessary in Indiana. Wonder if Canada has freedom vehical inspections?

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Posco

Jerk. I mean that in the kindest possible way.

lol, It's ok, lots of people don't understand how hard the state would come down on us if we falsely rejected a vehicle or passed one that kills someone.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:43 PM

You should see our roads.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:48 PM

Its been a few years since I've been up your way but for a spell I was coming up every year. I hunted and trapped in the northwoods.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:50 PM

According to the GAO, there is no statistical difference in crashes or fatalities between states that mandate inspection and those that don't.

A fellow who operates an auto repair shop locally posted a YouTube video of a pickup truck losing its front tire causing a severe accident. He suggested this is why vehicle inspections were necessary. It wouldn't be the first time a mechanic failed to tighten lugnuts. I pointed that out to him in the comments section.

I was looking at an older Jeep in excellent shape with very low mileage. The seller mentioned it needed
a clutch bearing. Armed with the research I'd done, I called the same mechanic to get a quote. He quoted a price three times as high as the part I had already sourced. We're talking multiple hundreds of dollars for the same part. I understand people are in business to make money but...

The state issues these inspection licenses to these mechanics and we're at their mercy. Unless your vehicle fairly recently rolled off the assembly line, these guys always manage to find something that fails inspection.

There's got to be a better way.

and as you pointed out no statistical difference between states that inspect and states that don't so then it is just a tax and a way to make you spend more.

this video https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1640070360098807809

jacked up truck looks to be a chevy looses drivers front wheel it goes under a little Rav 4 looking Black suv and it flips end wise ?
look at the second to the last bounce of that tire , the rotor still looks to be attached , that or a wheel spacer

lifted truck , wheels outside the fenders , there are a lot of arguments that could be there

vehicle inspections are not the first one I would go with

if you have a shop in your area looking for more work right now , there is a reason , they are cooks or bad at what they do!

every shop around here is busy , all the time.

people who are bad at their jobs look for the government to create them easy money on inspections

for a commercial truck where the company will maximize profits till the driver is dead and several people around them

but in a POV where it is your tail in that crash , if your vehicle is unsafe to drive , that probably isn't your riskiest behavior.

we don't know the circumstances of that crash , or who put the wheel on, when , what hardware was in play if it was a wheel spacer or a sealed hub bearing unit that failed

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:52 PM

That is the very video I was referring to.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:54 PM

Its been a few years since I've been up your way but for a spell I was coming up every year. I hunted and trapped in the northwoods.

C'mon up, I'll show you around my neck of the woods.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 03:59 PM

I love it up there and hope to come up again. When they passed the exclusion box rule is when I quit, boxes would take alot of room for me to haul up.

Maybe if Mink prices come back....I think a fella could catch a charge of them.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:03 PM

That is the very video I was referring to.

lots of places that could go , anyone who is jumping on vehicle inspection because they saw that video had an agenda

how do you know it wasn't a vehicle form an inspected

it was in California

https://abc7.com/118-freeway-crash-caught-on-video-chatsworth/13024626/

since California is a state vehicle inspection state I would put that as a nope didn't work.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:03 PM

Back to inspections....

Stickers cost me 2 dollars each for years, until we got Wolfe as a governor...a democrat. Right now they cost me 9 dollars each! In essence, he put a 7 dollar tax on every vehicle in the state but people don't realize it.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:11 PM

Back to inspections....

Stickers cost me 2 dollars each for years, until we got Wolfe as a governor...a democrat. Right now they cost me 9 dollars each! In essence, he put a 7 dollar tax on every vehicle in the state but people don't realize it.

The inspection fee is $15 here, pass or fail. I'm all for safe vehicles, but the state has set up a predatory system where there is little recourse. I don't doubt someone could go to three different inspection stations and all could come up with different issues to fail the vehicle.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:22 PM

some of our county's also have a emissions inspection. gotta have clean air! but obummer got rid of all the clunkers! mercer county,pa has it. to the west of them is youngstown ohio. who's air did they sample?

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:24 PM

Back to inspections....

The inspection fee is $15 here, pass or fail. I'm all for safe vehicles, but the state has set up a predatory system where there is little recourse. I don't doubt someone could go to three different inspection stations and all could come up with different issues to fail the vehicle.

exactly the issue if the state doesn't staff the inspection site with a state employee how are you getting a unbiased inspection.

and if they staff with a state employee how can it be cost effective

a civil suit of a vehicle that meets all the state standards that is failed by private inspection place would be interesting.

I worked for a national auto service chain in the 90s for a while, the whole point in bringing cars in for oil changes for 20 dollars was to find the other work they needed in the inspection.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:29 PM

All ya have to do is report them if you think they did ya wrong and they'll check it out.

Here, every so often they have an undercover guy drive around and have you inspect his car. don't do it right and you're fined and license revoked.

There's more checks and balances than meets the eye.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by minklessinpa
some of our county's also have a emissions inspection. gotta have clean air! but obummer got rid of all the clunkers! mercer county,pa has it. to the west of them is youngstown ohio. who's air did they sample?

That's all we have here. Emissions test -$20 But it is a farce. Most cars nowadays run clean or they don't run.

No safety inspection.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by minklessinpa

We call them "city slicker stickers" here. Our county doesn't have them so it's easy to tell who isn't from around here.

And! I can't do a safety inspection on a car that needs one unless it has a new city slicker sticker on it.

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 04:42 PM

exactly the issue if the state doesn't staff the inspection site with a state employee how are you getting a unbiased inspection

We used to have state employees running the emissions test centers here. But then they found the state employees cheating/taking bribes. It got shut down one day with police taking people out of the building at gunpoint. Big scandal.

Now run by the private sector.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 06:15 PM

Stickahs here are 40-45.00

Fail for glazed ovah head light lenses
Bald tires
Loose ball joint .
Steering components
Excessive rust
rotted out body mounts.
Burning excessive oil
Cracked glass

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 06:20 PM

Stickers we don’t need no stinking sticker!
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 06:51 PM

We don’t have them in Idaho but I take my vehicles to a garage every year to get a complete inspection for my piece of mind
Posted By: grumley701

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Stickers we don’t need no stinking sticker!

Yep, never heard of such nonsense...
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 07:42 PM

Friend of mine moved to Tennessee. He said .

You should see the junk on the road here ! He said .
I pray every day ,that no one comes into my lane

For a nice head on collision...because of worn out steering paahts.
Posted By: EdP

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 07:50 PM

It's motor vehicles and multi-axle trailers here and a total waste of time and money. There was some talk of doing away with it a few years ago but it didn't go anywhere.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 08:01 PM

I remember a TV doc. on auto mech. fraud. Undercover camera footage.
Small pump oil can, secretly squirt a little on a shock. Show the customer.
"This ones leaking ..... better change both" ( maybe all 4 would be wise)
Chaaaa Chinggggg $ $ $
Day in, day out. Easy job, minimal training, cheap labor, big markup, monster profits.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 08:12 PM

Every year battle in NY. Safety and emission inspection. Biggest problem is have any kind of code on the computer. Fix the problem. Wipe the code off and still have to drive sometimes hundreds of miles to have it clear the code for the inspection. Can't remember when they didn't have inspection NY. $21 bucks every year and sometimes lots of hassle
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 08:18 PM

Squash your lucky if all their doing is emission inspection. Ball joints,wheel bearings, lights just about everything is supposed to be checked and around here unless your buddy owns the shop it's an all out money grab.
One of the biggest scams is to pull the emergency brake. Most people with automatic transmissions never use it. When the mechanic pulls the E brake and it hasn't been used for years it locks up and has to be fixed.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
It's motor vehicles and multi-axle trailers here and a total waste of time and money. There was some talk of doing away with it a few years ago but it didn't go anywhere.

Too much money involved to get rid of them. That and we can't keep a republican governor long enough to actually fix things.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 09:04 PM

Sounds like a government overreach to me. Here in Michigan alls you need is a VIN and the most expensive car insurance in the country. I have drove quite a few vehicles that checked off everything on Nessys list. Never killed anyone, just cheap transportation.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Its ridiculous. Especially in rhe north with all the salt that gets used and rusting out everything.

Luckily Ohio doesn't do this. There is inspections to be able to get a salvage title vehicle back on the road.

Ohio used to have them , you would get flagged over any place they found room to have the inspection.
Haven't see them since the 70's .
Just another way to get more money .

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 09:34 PM

I left MD bout 40 years ago.
Only got an inspection once, when registered. Only again if you got a ticket for something specific ... like a light out or bad tires.
It's the owner/operators responsibility to keep the vehicle maintained and safe.

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/27/23 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Sounds like a government overreach to me. Here in Michigan alls you need is a VIN and the most expensive car insurance in the country. I have drove quite a few vehicles that checked off everything on Nessys list. Never killed anyone, just cheap transportation.

The clasic Michigan special...."The Beater with a heater" Got a $200 S10 Blazer that I run the muddy roads between the cabin and home. Parts are cheap.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/28/23 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by randall brannon
WV has Inspection stickers. It was originally SUPPOSED to be a Temporary thing to help with Road Work but as usual it is now permanent and usually raises every year. Just a Gimmick.

Most stations around here do not do inspections they just sell you a sticker for $14.66

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/28/23 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960
Originally Posted by randall brannon

Most stations around here do not do inspections they just sell you a sticker for $14.66

yea ... same here.
Just have to basically "present" the vehicle. If you drove it in ...... it's good to go.
Never tried pushing one in, not sure if it would pass or not.
p.s.never owned a ford. smile

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/28/23 05:22 PM

I did 2 inspections this morning and didn't even find a light out.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/28/23 05:34 PM

I’m purity sure that white truck had a good inspection sticker on it! And the front tire still came off? Wow! He should get his money back on the inspection!

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/28/23 05:39 PM

Glad it wasn't my sticker.....I'd be getting a visit if it was.

Surprise, Cali inspections are for emissions.

https://www.liljegrenlaw.com/car-inspection-laws-in-california/

Re: State vehicle inspections - 03/28/23 07:24 PM

Lol....reminds me of a friend's car. Years ago we had safety inspections on 10+ year old cars getting registered. He had an old Plymouth that was set up for track use ( drag car ) I went with him to the DMV for the safety inspection. We had gone over the car one end to the other as it was being used for track use. Everything was up to par and a bunch of it was overbuilt for extreme use. It had massively oversized brakes for great stopping power.
Part of the inspection was a brake pad with steel belts attached to a gauge to test your brakes. As he rolled up to that point at about 10mph , the Inspector would tell you when to hit the brakes. He hit the brakes so hard the car stopped so hard that all the suspension crouched down and kinda nosedived in the front. When he let go of the brake pedal the car actually rolled back about a foot or two as the suspension flexed back.

The Inspector told us he had never seen that.....lol

The car passed inspection.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums