Home

ammo shortage......again?

Posted By: danny clifton

ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 06:05 PM

Posted By: hippie

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 06:17 PM

Again..or still?

I haven't seen any primers for several years at my usual haunts.
Posted By: Osagian

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 06:30 PM

I'm seeing primers. For 120 dollars per thousand.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 06:43 PM

It will be many many years before I see a shortage of ammo. Im maybe a little slow but I figured out after Obama a person better stock up before the next Democrat president. If you didn't start building the inventory after covid again I'm not sure what to tell you. There's a lot of places to buy ammo and reloading components than just locally.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
It will be many many years before I see a shortage of ammo. Im maybe a little slow but I figured out after Obama a person better stock up before the next Democrat president. If you didn't start building the inventory after covid again I'm not sure what to tell you. There's a lot of places to buy ammo and reloading components than just locally.

I think that it is , years before you will be effected by the ammo shortage , you don't have to be effected to see it on the shelves.

120 dollar primers that still sell out in hours , isn't a surplus by any means
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 07:47 PM

Primers online everywhere if you want to pay 100 a thousand.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 07:50 PM

There is still a lot of ammo that not available. A huge shortage in fact. The common stuff is out there but others not so much. They should be opening more manufacturing. There is a huge demand for anything affordable.
Posted By: danvee

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 07:57 PM

Just found a bunch of 410 ammo bought it all been looking for that for over a year.
Posted By: k snow

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by danvee
Just found a bunch of 410 ammo bought it all been looking for that for over a year.

Hoarder....:)
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by danvee

What did you pay for it and what was it? 3" or 2 1/2" #4, 5, 6, 7.5, 8, 9? Brand?

I've seen lots of it if you want spend $18-20+ a box of 25.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 08:01 PM

There are more ammo manufacuters than there were 10 years ago

Freedom
ammo inc
PSA
fenix
they primarily make the high volume stuff however

223/5.56
9mm
38spl
357mag
300blk
30-06
30-30
7.62x39

so if your waiting on 257 Roberts or 6mm rem it might be a while.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 08:06 PM

Loaded up on some .22 LR today no telling what’s coming down the pike in the near future.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

223/5.56
9mm
38spl
357mag
300blk
30-06
30-30
7.62x39

This list right here.

You can add to that 12 gauge, 20 gauge and .22 LR. If your firearms are one of these you can almost always find ammo somewhere, loading components and brass.
Everything on this list except for 5.56 is a good candidate for cast bullets also. Maybe 5.56 too. Wolfkid says he is getting good accuracy out of his cast 5.56 fluorescent painted bullets. Seems like a lot of trouble when you can buy 55 grn. bullets bulk for 8 cents a piece but then you gotta love an experimenter.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 08:53 PM

I did just that. Took $10,000 dollars and invested in reloading components after obumer left office. I now have an inventory of nearly $25,000 worth. It will only appreciate over time.
And before anyone wonders. It is in a very secure location and insured.
Sarge
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 09:11 PM

Just bought a box of 00 buckshot 3 inch 15 shells for 18 bucks

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Osagian
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

223/5.56,9mm,40,45,38spl,357mag,300blk,308,30-06,30-30 , 7.62x39

This list right here.

You can add to that 12 gauge, 20 gauge and .22 LR. If your firearms are one of these you can almost always find ammo somewhere, loading components and brass.
Everything on this list except for 5.56 is a good candidate for cast bullets also. Maybe 5.56 too. Wolfkid says he is getting good accuracy out of his cast 5.56 fluorescent painted bullets. Seems like a lot of trouble when you can buy 55 grn. bullets bulk for 8 cents a piece but then you gotta love an experimenter.

really focus on 223/5.56 your primary pistol round for me that is 9mm, one hunting round for me 308 , 12ga or whatever your go to shotgun is and 22lr or what ever rimfire you use is
the basic 5 gun plan

for some it will be only 3 or 4

best if you can keep your loads the same so you don't have some 150s , some 155 , some 165 some 175 and some 180 find what your rifle likes and what works for you and stock up on it.

when I was 14 the first 2 guns I bought were a 12ga and a 30-06 people used to say all a WI hunter needed was a 12 ,22lr and a 30-06.
I remember the guy at the archery shop we frequented he hunted gun also but he was into oddball hunting calibers , I didn't get it he was just one of those people who had to be different , I wanted to be able to walk into any hardware store buy a box of my 150gr Super-x 30-06 ammo and go shoot or hunt.
I started buying a box of ammo with every pay check but stopped when the price went from 7 to 11 dollars a box it seemed like a lot at the time it wasn't long and 11 was a heck of a good price , I should have kept buying , I think I do still have 2 boxes of that stuff left.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 09:21 PM

Might want to add to your inventory. If it hits again may be a lot longer this time. Right now factory ammo is pretty dear. 2 bucks a bullet and up for anything except 556 223. Pistol ammo is around a buck a cartridge for a lot of stuff. Spend a day shooting and you could spend enough on ammo to buy a savage axis. barnes tsx bullets are almost a dollar per. They aint getting any cheaper either.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 09:21 PM

The stores in this area are pretty filled up but still missing a few different calibers.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 09:26 PM

12ga ammo was high Winchester AA loads are about double what they were in the past simple pheasant loads nothing fancy $20.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 10:58 PM

I was in 2 different Scheels stores yesterday. They had quite a bit if rifle ammo with most common calibers represented. Good selection of powder and primers except long rifle. Long rifle primers are a unicorn.

Good selection of 410 shells 14 to 18 a box. Sub 10 dollar 410 are a thing of the past.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 11:14 PM

I'm still having trouble finding 20 gauge shot in anything bigger than 8 shot locally.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 11:18 PM

X2.When Trump got elected I told everyone,,this is a reprieve for a few years,,not a solution.Get what you need NOW.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

X2.When Trump got elected I told everyone,,this is a reprieve for a few years,,not a solution.Get what you need NOW.

What does a couple people having enough have to do with a supply/production shortage?

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 11:25 PM

I sold off a lot of the stuff that I wanted to replace during the last run on ammo, just waited for it to go back down or rebates to come out then replaced it.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 11:30 PM

Hippie
It's a suggestion to plan ahead. I doubt ammo is going to get cheaper as a whole across the board and I have a feeling it going to keep getting hard to get. My suggestion is get online and find what you want or something that will work for you and stock up. Got to be careful ordering online and do a little research on the company you order from but if you wait for it to come to a store near you or the price to come down to what you consider normal you might find yourself out in the cold for a long time. Way this government is going they are going to limit gun and ammo purchases every way they can.
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I sold off a lot of the stuff that I wanted to replace during the last run on ammo, just waited for it to go back down or rebates to come out then replaced it.

I hope you get a good chance to resupply at a good price.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/30/23 11:55 PM

As mentioned before, made the call to start reloading 2 years ago and main reason why was to always have a reliable source of ammo. Guns won't go cold for lack of means.

I figured it could take 2 years or more to get up to speed. Closer to 6 months and in past two years, have had ample opportunity to pad the stash to the point I won't have to worry about it for the rest of my time.

Even 6mm Rem. No ammo.......but if you can get the brass, you are golden on the rest.And even with that, if there is a will, there is a way........and a place:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/75153

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 12:06 AM

Yes fellas, i've been reloading for decades and have enough components to load ammo that hadn't been available for years......key point, NOT AVAILABLE when it should be in the best country of the world.

So, imo we're still in an ammo shortage.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 12:12 AM

We have new outdoors men coming into the gun world everyday, how do they "stock up" as we did years ago?

Even just someone just starting to hunt and buying a gun. They don't have the choices we had back in the day, they have to buy a caliber that they can also get ammo with, and pay triple what its worth. I jyst looked at some 257 Roberts ammo.....71 dollars a box.that's crazy!
Posted By: danvee

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 03:21 AM

410 shells I bought were old stock Remington 4 and 6 shot paid 14 a box dealer said they are making ammo based on amount that can be sold quick and that is in high demand. 410 he said was not in high demand so they turn there attention to 12 and 20 but I see tons of 28ga
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 01:27 PM

I don't know if you guys know this or not but what something is worth has changed, probably forever.

Unlike 18 mos ago new shooters have access to all the ammo they can ever shoot. Prices might suck or if the intend on buying it local.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 01:34 PM

Unless you’re shooting some exotic caliber AKA fancy clubs and don’t reload good luck like said NATO rounds are everywhere now from the looks of it, not offered one day then out of stock the next day. Prices have come down from the crazy days higher then before but what’s not higher today.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I'm still having trouble finding 20 gauge shot in anything bigger than 8 shot locally.

Weel, Just came back from town. In the local WM and beings you mentioned 20gauge are hard to get, thought I'd cruise through sporting goods and pick me up a couple of boxs of 20g 1oz #5s just to top off my supply. I like them to shoot squirrel and other things....
They had them at $19.00 for a box of 25, Win, or Fed. That's just too rich for my blood.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 07:45 PM

X2
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 08:21 PM

My hand needs a rest. I just trimmed and primed a bunch of 308 brass ready for filling and corking
Posted By: Castormound

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 08:35 PM

I don't have any guns or ammo.

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 03/31/23 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Castormound
I don't have any guns or ammo.

I don’t think you and I have a lot to worry about like other states do but who knows today this Nation has gone mad it seems.
Posted By: j lord

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 04/01/23 03:41 AM

I bought 4 boxes 2 3/4. $12 a box
Posted By: j lord

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 04/01/23 03:45 AM

Angela, I hate Walmart but they had 6 shot in 20 gauge in 2 different stores. One in Mississippi. They didn’t have a bunch tho.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: ammo shortage......again? - 04/01/23 03:51 AM

Plenty up here, 6, 5 4 shot most in 3". let me know, Let me know I'll send some your way..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums