Home

Anyone else here hanging traps?

Posted By: Chuckles84

Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/02/23 09:46 PM

Swarm traps that is. I know you southern folks are probably well past swarm season and starting the honey flow. Didnt hang traps till May last year but spring is running early so went ahead and got mine out. May still be early but rather having out early than late.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/02/23 10:49 PM

Finished hanging my trap’s yesterday. On warm days my bees have been very active.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/02/23 10:51 PM

hung in the barn.

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/02/23 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bowwhitetail
Finished hanging my trap’s yesterday. On warm days my bees have been very active.

My hive and the 8 that my brother has have been packing in the pollen. Mine and 2 of hives are 2 full boxes of bees each. Gonna have to keep an eye on them so we can split them before they swarm.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/03/23 12:18 AM

[Linked Image]
Saw this wild hive in Louisiana the other day.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/03/23 12:33 AM

We won't see any swarming for another 5 weeks. Still winter here.

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/03/23 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
We won't see any swarming for another 5 weeks. Still winter here.

I like winter, but now that hunting and trapping seasons are over I am glad spring is here. I would be really happy if we just skipped summer and went straight to fall though.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/03/23 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckles84

Swarm traps that is. I know you southern folks are probably well past swarm season and starting the honey flow. Didnt hang traps till May last year but spring is running early so went ahead and got mine out. May still be early but rather having out early than late.

[Linked Image]

Now that spring is here? I woke up to six inches of snow this morning.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/03/23 08:32 PM

It was probably a month ago we had a nice day was like 60 something I noticed the bees out almost swarming on the side of the box I havnt seen a bee since idk why they would just up a leave like that no way they made it its been below zero since then ...first real year messing with bees any idea on why they would leave like that
Posted By: warrior

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/04/23 03:05 AM

Swarming is in full swing and tapering off. It was early this year. Our flow though is messed up by these last couple freezes. Everything is early this year then blasted by temps into the twenties. We lost the locust bloom.
Already scheduling cut outs.
Posted By: tom ohio

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/04/23 03:22 PM

Not yet, few weeks at least weather knocked them back hard Northeast Ohio.
Posted By: Minz

Re: Anyone else here hanging traps? - 04/07/23 10:51 PM

I should get my crap back out this year. We used to get two a year at work until they took down a row of old white oaks with a 48" base. It was always just too easy to graft some up and split after a honey pulled.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums