Home

Well I bit the bullet

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:33 AM

I've been wanting an over/under combination 20 gauge/.22lr for probably 20 years now but was always too cheap to buy one. I still cringed a little... ok a lot... over how much I had to pay for it, but I am now the proud new owner of this guy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:37 AM

Dang, that's pretty!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:41 AM

I had a .22lr over .410. Always wanted a .222 over 20 ga. myself. Congrats on the new (to you) gun!
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:44 AM

Don't matter what you paid. Outstanding Purchase! Congrats!

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Dang, that's pretty!

Thanks! It's the engraved fox that sealed the deal. Every trapper needs a gun with an engraved fox on it, lol. I passed up 3 of these guns in the past couple months that had the fox engraving and kept kicking myself for it. This one sold for a couple hundred less than the ones I passed on and I just couldn't pass up another, lol.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:44 AM

Very nice,I own a couple over under guns.
222 over 20 and a 22 mag over 410.
Killed tons of stuff with both.
Best gun to carry on the line-bag fur and pot meat.
Posted By: DVinke

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 05:22 AM

Dang, that's pretty!

What he said!
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 06:34 AM

Got a Tikka 222 user 12 gauge. Was outlawed a year or two ago for fall turkey in Pa. only use it for predators now
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 07:23 AM

I have been eyeballing those off and on myself. But the price has gotten so high on the ones I found I always talk myself out of them. Let us know how it shoots for you.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 08:19 AM

Very nice! One fine gun.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 08:22 AM

Very nice and I wholeheartedly agree about the fox
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 08:24 AM

if it is just what you wanted it , it doesn't matter it cost you more

you aren't likely to ever sell it so it's value is it's use

this is what I told myself when I customized some shotguns that I would probably never get my money out of , it didn't matter if I never intended to sell them.
I was building something that didn't exist in that barrel length and configuration because it was how I wanted to shoot.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 10:36 AM

Nice gun.
Posted By: coop

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 10:38 AM

Friend had a .22 Mag / 20 ga. w/ a Weaver K-3 that was his dedicated turkey gun in college.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 10:43 AM

Nice gun!
Everyone needs a new toy now and then.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:13 AM

I have had a 22 mag. 20 ga. O/U for near 50 years. I was attracted to them the first time I saw them. I would have liked to have a 222. with a 20 ga combo that I never purchased. A bit old now to get one and really enjoy.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Very nice,I own a couple over under guns.
222 over 20 and a 22 mag over 410.
Killed tons of stuff with both.
Best gun to carry on the line-bag fur and pot meat.

The reason I first wanted one many moons ago was for that purpose... when I would be trapping I'd often see rabbits, pheasants, and even deer during season. I thought it would be great to have a gun capable of dispatching trapped animals and also harvesting these other animals I was constantly seeing. But it'll also be a great gun for squirrel and coon hunting. Or just for generally ambling around in the woods.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
Got a Tikka 222 user 12 gauge. Was outlawed a year or two ago for fall turkey in Pa. only use it for predators now

Great coyote combo.

Osky
Posted By: 160user

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Dang, that's pretty!

Thanks! It's the engraved fox that sealed the deal. Every trapper needs a gun with an engraved fox on it, lol. I passed up 3 of these guns in the past couple months that had the fox engraving and kept kicking myself for it. This one sold for a couple hundred less than the ones I passed on and I just couldn't pass up another, lol.

That is a Savage 24 DL or Deluxe with the engraved nickled receiver. Very nice!
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:58 AM

I started hunting with a 22/410, I sure wish I had it.

I have had the chance to buy different configurations but not what I want.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:59 AM

A real Beauty
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:10 PM

Probably my favorite of all my guns I own. All mine are 223/12 and I have 5. Mine are deadly accurate and I regulated the barrels to precision. I'll put the pattern of TSS #9 (or any other shot #) up against any modern turkey gun. I only shoot Indian Creek chokes. Savage uses Winchester threads by the way. Dead on with the rifle at 100, use the same crosshair on a turkey's neck and dead on at 40 with the shotgun. Amazing how people trash talked these for years just because they wouldn't hit same POI but now try to find one, let alone for a decent price. Regulating the barrels isn't that difficult.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:14 PM

I've used a 22mag/20 guage with that same fox on one side and birds on the other. An old guy that my dad grew up hunting with (and I did also) owned it, and my dad always told him that when he died my dad wanted that gun. Well Sherm is still around, but pushing 90 and a couple years ago he gave the gun to dad. Quite a nice little gun, and pretty accurate, but the 20 gauge in the one I've used is an open choke and not good for any distance.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:32 PM

Paying what is to most of us a lot o money is never easy .Over time I had a few that I also could not bring myself to pay the going price In some cases I got over my desire to own that particular gun .At other times I put off what I really wanted to do to start with In the late 1970's Ruger introduced their 20 gauge Red Label over/under I paid almost $600.00 for it To me that was alot of money at the time Many of my friends told me at the time ir would never be anything worth having because it would never get out of the house The Red Label is not fancy in my opinion but they just look like a nice gun to hunt with . And hunt I did small game waterfowl doves woodcock and grouse It was a nice gun to shoot as well as look at It is quite possible I might have killed more game with that gun than any other one I owned But the time came when
I sold it Not because it was part of my plan. . But I t had to revaluate my priorities In spite of it 's signs of it's many trips to the hunting fields I had always kept it clean I hunted with it for more than 40 years in cold rainy and sun weather Open grass fields and some of the nasties briar and thorn infested spots I never should have went into .So I last summer I sold it for $1075.00Forty years of hunting with it left me feeling rather melancholy All I CAN DO WITH THE MONEY IS LOOK AT IT. It does not provide any joy or happiness to make my day. But all good things come to an end sometime And 40 years of hunting with that gun and making a profit of nearly $490.00 proves that paying too much for something that really gives you happiness is and investment in both financial and mental or spiritual terms Most of us work hard to make ends meet I f we do not allow ourselves some things we have just because we want them And only send money to pay bills and the other mondain requirements of a daily lifestyle it makes for a very boring time . TREAT IT WELL AND YOU WILL NEVER BE SORRY YOU HAVE IT
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:40 PM

I ain't got one; so I must need one.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by WV Danimal
Probably my favorite of all my guns I own. All mine are 223/12 and I have 5. Mine are deadly accurate and I regulated the barrels to precision. I'll put the pattern of TSS #9 (or any other shot #) up against any modern turkey gun. I only shoot Indian Creek chokes. Savage uses Winchester threads by the way. Dead on with the rifle at 100, use the same crosshair on a turkey's neck and dead on at 40 with the shotgun. Amazing how people trash talked these for years just because they wouldn't hit same POI but now try to find one, let alone for a decent price. Regulating the barrels isn't that difficult.

Do you mean Winchester choke tubes work on this gun?

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:45 PM

Absolutely, can swap the same choke out of my old Winchester Ranger pump with the Savage 24. But IC are so awesome, I bought one for each. I do have a JEBS choke in one but it does not compare to IC.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:49 PM

That’s a good one
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 12:50 PM

I had a Savage 222 over a 20 mag. Killed a lot of stuff with it. Had a 3-9 redfield on it.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 01:02 PM

Nice with that adjustable rear sight on it.Good gun.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 01:11 PM

Absolutely, can swap the same choke out of my old Winchester Ranger pump with the Savage 24. But IC are so awesome, I bought one for each. I do have a JEBS choke in one but it does not compare to IC.

Good to know, thanks. If the barrel is open choke as someone else on here said I'll probably want a choke for it. I'll look into the indian creek ones I guess.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 01:39 PM

Nice looking gun. Enjoy it.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 01:48 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hippie

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 02:46 PM

Nice!

I have one of those but mine isn't engraved.

The one I have is old and doesn't have screw in chokes either.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 02:54 PM

You only live once and you can't take it with you! So, do what I do and buy everything that I ever wanted and more!
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:28 PM

Nice gun!! I have 2. The first one I almost didn't get. We went to the shooting range and I had quickly looked over the used guns but missed it. After we were done shooting and heading out the door I caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye. It was a .22 mag over 20ga. I had been looking for a .22 long over 20 ga. My wife talked me into leaving with it that day. A couple months later I found a .22 long over 20ga in a auction. I got that one for a sweet deal and I am not sure that it had ever been shot before.

Congrats on your new toy.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:33 PM

That's a dandy for sure!
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:35 PM

Sweet
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 03:41 PM

Had one once, couldn't get rid of it quick enough! 20 ga was fine the .22 shot a foot LOW at 10 yds, and was not adjustable.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:34 PM

Phrase A) "Man! I'm sure glad I didn't overpay for that gun."

Phrase B) "Man! I should have just went ahead and bought that gun!"

I have never uttered one of those phrases... The other I have uttered multiple times. Take a guess as to which is which.

It's a safe bet that at some point you'll realize that even though you paid more for that gun than you should have... you'll think that the price was a bargain anyway.

Mike
Posted By: headache73

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:37 PM

I got the exact same gun for my 12th birthday. My great grandfather bought it new, and my grandmother gave it to me. I gave it to my oldest son a few years ago when he had his first child. I'd hate to guess how many shells I ran through that thing..... dang, thanks for the memories

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

I have never uttered one of those phrases... The other I have uttered multiple times. Take a guess as to which is which.

It's a safe bet that at some point you'll realize that even though you paid more for that gun than you should have... you'll think that the price was a bargain anyway.

Mike

It really wasn't THAT expensive. The sold price was $550... with taxes and shipping about a hundred more. No idea if that's a good or bad deal but know it was less that they've been selling for. Still a lot for me though.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:46 PM

Mike

unless it stinks it up that bad and you can't even sell it for close to what you have into it because everyone else knows it also. the R51 comes to mind.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:51 PM

Mike

It really wasn't THAT expensive. The sold price was $550... with taxes and shipping about a hundred more. No idea if that's a good or bad deal but know it was less that they've been selling for. Still a lot for me though.

I better not tell ya what I paid for mine 35 years ago!

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:53 PM

Mike

You did fine Angela. Enjoy your gun.

Mike

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:54 PM

looking at prices you did well that seems to be about the going price

if you look at your muzzle does it have a choke tube in it now ?

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

looking at prices you did well that seems to be about the going price

if you look at your muzzle does it have a choke tube in it now ?

I don't have it yet.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 04:58 PM

Mike

unless it stinks it up that bad and you can't even sell it for close to what you have into it because everyone else knows it also. the R51 comes to mind.

Meh... I'm picky about guns I buy to begin with. But the pile of "should've bought" is way bigger than the "why did I buy that" pile.

Mike
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 05:13 PM

That’s a nice gun, I like that.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 05:59 PM

I like it too Angela. Congratulations. I would think that will be a great little grocery gitter.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 06:24 PM

[Linked Image]

What are those guns. I am in the market for a combo also?

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 06:36 PM

Ugly?
Posted By: G Hose

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 07:00 PM

Nice gun. I’ve been looking for a 30-30 over 20ga.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 07:11 PM

Everyone of those I’ve handled had a terrible hard trigger pull. They can be worked on and and made better. My dad had a 222 over 20 gauge and trigger broke at 9 lbs

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Had one once, couldn't get rid of it quick enough! 20 ga was fine the .22 shot a foot LOW at 10 yds, and was not adjustable.

It's a common issue with these. Hopefully she gets a good one.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 10:32 PM

I was trapping in WY with a buddy that had one in 223 over 12 gauge. Had a 3 inch load of buckshot in the shotgun. went to shoot a coyote at about 200 yards. leaned into the scope with those see thru rings he had installed. shot the 12 gauge rather than the rifle. bloodied his eyebrow. I thought it was hilarious. He whined like a fresh spanked puppy.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Ugly?

So aren't long haired bearded faded 1970s tattooed...... hippies. But "far out dude", you do you. I appreciate your compliment though because I do not own "pretty" guns. No worthless safe queens in my house. They are built to kill, not the red carpet. As to what you paid for yours back in the "freedom" days bout the time of that 3rd "I Love Mom" tattoo, $289 brand new. At least that's what my uncle told me about his.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:05 PM

The 24 is a heavy gun.
The one I got has got to have the tightest choke of any shotgun I have ever owned.
it will blow the heads off partridge at 60 yards.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/02/23 11:28 PM

Very cool. Have one in 22 Hornet / 20 and 222/20. The 22 has been awesome. Haven’t used the 222 much
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 12:49 AM

Lol WV Danimal, I like your style. My guns get used too, the scratches and blemishes all tell stories.

Are they both Savage 24s? Good to know about the Winchester chokes, I’ll have to keep an eye out . I need another gun, haven’t bought one in a few weeks grin

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:01 AM

That gun SHOULD be too old to have screw in choke tubes. The later models did but most of those were 12 gauge.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:03 AM

That's sweet, it's only money just as well spoil yourself.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:07 AM

Those are savage 24s. I also have a couple Russian Baikals. They are opposite barrel placements. Rifle on bottom, shotgun on top. They also shoot really well but I prefer the Savage over Baikal, even the Valmets that put rifle on the bottom.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:28 AM

I better not tell ya what I paid for mine 35 years ago!

even if you just run the inflation calculator 550 today would be 215 in 1988

now yours was probably 150 or so back then but they were also still making them.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:36 AM

The last couple I got rid of were 22/410's and I got $550 each for them but they were NOT deluxe. I think you did just fine, especially if it was something you really wanted.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:40 AM

if you find it doesn't have a screw in choke and doesn't pattern well , it is very likely many of them came Mod choke .
you may well still be able to have a smith install chokes in it. it depends on the thickness of your barrel metal.

one of my shotguns , l paid 125 for the gun used , I got a good deal on it and 250 to have it threaded and get 3 chokes as a package.
even with 2x the money in the choke threading and chokes , no regrets. it would cost me 600-700 to buy that gun the way I wanted it and even that would be piecing together parts they never sold together.
I also later put new stock and forearm on it adding another 150.

a gun that fits and swings right for you is worth cases of wasted ammo missing.

there are people who will spend 300 on gas to get to a hunt , 100 on tags , 700 on lodging and complain that sighting in their rifle right cost to much.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:44 AM

I gave 90 dollars for it at an auction that was mostly household stuff, this was the only gun there. Model 24 S series.

[Linked Image]

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:56 AM

That's really "pretty" gun. I'll give you $150 for it just to rescue it from some non-hunter/even user's hands. Shame to get a scratch on it....

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:59 AM

Thin skinned bugger ain't ya? lol

I did the rescue. wink

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 03:39 AM

I'd be absolutely fine if it's a modified choke. That's actually what I'd prefer. An open choke on the other hand could be an issue.

I'm also nervous now about the people saying the .22 will shoot a foot low, lol.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 03:42 AM

It is a pretty gun, but neither of your's are near as pretty as mine so just go argue about it somewhere else, lol.

I can't stand plastic stocks, or camo'd guns.... I'm all about wood and bluing. But if someone else likes them it's no skin off my nose, I ain't gotta look at them lol.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 09:02 AM

One my buddy had was scoped with see thru rings for the shotgun. I doubt it shoots a foot low. I dont know if he had to have his drilled and tapped or not but you can put a scope on one. Just make sure the selector switch is on the barrel you want to use.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 12:13 PM

I bought one new when I was a young man. Then gave it to my dad. He never hunted but had an old single shot .22 for cows and pigs when we butchered. He had a few groundhogs he wanted to try to shoot on the farm. So, he had it for 30 some years. I put a scope on it for him since he couldn't seem to shoot well with open sights. When he passed, I took it back home with me.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:09 PM

it appears they used a 3/8 scope groove behind the rear sight on some , so a 22 type scope mount fits

also they appear to still be making some reproduction parts for them
https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=597
sights included

a foot low seems odd if you have a rear elevator on your sight , I wonder if the elevator was missing

the rear sight looks to be a 3/8 dove tail so there are other options there also like a marbles bullseye sight they are fast and let you see more of your target but give good accuracy also https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:18 PM

I believe mine is a modified choke and most of those older models were as well.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 01:30 PM

I'm also nervous now about the people saying the .22 will shoot a foot low, lol.

Your has the adjustable rear sight so you should be good.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 02:19 PM

I'd definitely prefer to keep open sights on it for as long as my eyesight will allow. Always been a big fan of open sights.

That marble bullseye one you posted Pete, looks pretty cool. I might have to try one of them at least on one of my many other 22s to see how I like it.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 03:03 PM

I'd definitely prefer to keep open sights on it for as long as my eyesight will allow. Always been a big fan of open sights.

That marble bullseye one you posted Pete, looks pretty cool. I might have to try one of them at least on one of my many other 22s to see how I like it.

I have them on a couple muzzle loaders
I have a couple 22s with other peep sights but they were already drilled and tapped for a peep so I went that way.
they work very well on the muzzle loaders and I may end up with one on my 20ga slug gun yet

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 03:40 PM

Yes Pete, the one I have has had he 22 barrel grooved for the scope mounts. Catch tho, you're not to fire the shotgun with scope attached.

Says that right on my gun.
[Linked Image]

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Your has the adjustable rear sight so you should be good.

So did the one I had. You couldn't move the sight far enough before it ran out of adjustment. I'm sure Veteran BigBob knows how sights work as well.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:05 PM

too low can sometimes be adjusted be lowering the front sight

we do it on muzzle loaders all the time file the front sight till the group comes up to point of aim

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:07 PM

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=104372 - it's not the end of the world if you got a bad one, but yours will likely be just fine.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:11 PM

Mine had sights like Hippie's gun (set high on the ramp now), yours appear different (and are its low on the ramp now, not that means anything but often used guns are fairly close to sighted in) I bet you have no troubles with it.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:13 PM

too low can sometimes be adjusted be lowering the front sight

we do it on muzzle loaders all the time file the front sight till the group comes up to point of aim

Right.The V notch can also be filed if need be.Also,,the V notch can be brought up higher than the slide ramp that is on it will allow.New higher slide ramp can be made in a few minutes.If someone had a gun like that shooting too high or low,,It can be fixed in short order.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:14 PM

Yes Pete, the one I have has had he 22 barrel grooved for the scope mounts. Catch tho, you're not to fire the shotgun with scope attached.

Says that right on my gun.
[Linked Image]

I would assume the recoil is too much for the groove sight bases a traditional scope having too great of mass, I do wonder if a micro red dot having so little mass , the type that ride on the slide of a handgun , could be made to work

compared to the whiplash they take on a pistol slide a 12ga shotgun magnum load recoil isn't even a workout.

when I toured Vortex they have a special machine they built to replicate the motion and frequency of gun recoil , they can run 10,000 cycles in fairly short time torture testing optics . bases and mounts. and do it at significantly less cost than firing 10,000 rounds through the gun , they follow up with that test when they have a product ready to go. clearly that is an expensive test.

by the way the FN 509 and FN scar have the harshest recoil cycle of any current production firearm , the Kimber M84 mountain accent in 300 win mag takes the worst for a bolt action , it is a 5 pound 300 win mag after all.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:16 PM

Pete, they probably just don't want sued for someone getting a busted eye from the scope.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:19 PM

WellI just got my shipping notification. Says it won't be here until Monday. cry I was hoping it would come Friday or Saturday so I could play with it this weekend.+

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/03/23 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Pete, they probably just don't want sued for someone getting a busted eye from the scope.

for a short time my son had a taurus shotgun , not bad with trap loads , supper easy to carry as a it was like 3 pounds 12 ounces , oh the pain of trying a turkey load it would shake your fillings loose

fist gun he bought on his own when he turned 18 , first gun he sold also

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 12:18 AM

Well I got it today. Didn't have time to sight it in, but took a few shots and it seemed fairly accurate, didn't shoot a foot low at least, lol.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 12:32 AM

Well I got it today. Didn't have time to sight it in, but took a few shots and it seemed fairly accurate, didn't shoot a foot low at least, lol.

good to hear

does it have a choke or no choke?

screw in or fixed marked on the barrel?

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 12:51 AM

good to hear

The suspense is killing us!
Posted By: trappergk

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 01:46 AM

Me And my 2 brothers were each given a savage 24 in 22/410 one year for Christmas as our first guns. That was probably 50 years ago. All were consecutive serial numbered. My youngest brother’s came up missing when his boy’s friends started coming over. I still get mine out every so often.

I once owned a 223/12 for about 5 minutes. Bought it at a gun Show and was headed out the door when a guy stopped me and offered me $50 more than I paid for it. Lol.

I now have a 17hmr/12 also. Neat gun. Killed a groundhog with the 12 today. It’s a newer one so it also has a cross bolt safety that I forget to disengage most of the time.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 02:15 AM

good to hear

No screw in choke and not finding it marked on the barrel either.

I did find this little tidbit online... no idea the veracity of it though.

#9: "What choke is in my gun?"

The 20ga barrels seem to all be modified, accept for the Camper C models, which are cylinder bore. As for the .410 and 12ga???

But THEN I saw another one that said they were all Full choke, lol.

So who knows???

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 08:35 AM

i bet pete has a set of micrometers or a caliper. measure the bore at the muzzle

[Linked Image]

this isnt exact. different manufacturers use different numbers but will give you an idea
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 02:42 PM

It's a 20ga Danny, but good point. A set of calipers will tell you what it is. Can also send the barrel to be threaded for choke tubes for a relatively low cost

[Linked Image]

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/09/23 04:34 PM

so technically choke is not entirely constriction based although it typically is with most barrels.

think about the Mossberg 835 as an example it is actually over sized in the barrel compared to say a 500

most choke manufactures do use constriction but technically it is performance based

a 30 inch circle at 40 yards you shoot at the middle and

IC =50%
Mod =60%
Full = 70%

% of the shot should land inside the 30 inches

so bring some big cardboard home from work and make a 30 inch circle and use one of your hunting loads and shoot it at 40 yards and get to counting and marking , do a little math

or say well I know what it does now what it exactly is matters less

what is actually more important is pattern to know where to hold and at what distance you should pass because a rabbit , dove , squirrel , ect could possibly not get hit by the pattern , when does it get open enough pellets could go all around it and not hit it .

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/15/23 12:53 AM

Well, it doesn't shoot a foot low, lol. This was shot freehand when it was way too dark out to be trying to see how a gun shoots but it's really been the first chance I got. Hopefully sometime within the next week or so I can get it in a lead sled and see how it actually shoots.

BUT twice now it's failed to eject the shell enough to grab on to it, so that's not good. Have to see if I can figure out how to fix it because I really would like to keep it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/15/23 12:57 AM

Well, it doesn't shoot a foot low, lol. This was shot freehand when it was way too dark out to be trying to see how a gun shoots but it's really been the first chance I got. Hopefully sometime within the next week or so I can get it in a lead sled and see how it actually shoots.

BUT twice now it's failed to eject the shell enough to grab on to it, so that's not good. Have to see if I can figure out how to fix it because I really would like to keep it.

[Linked Image]

Could be years of dried oil and gunk in the ejector/extracter I'm not sure which it has.

Re: Well I bit the bullet - 05/15/23 02:46 AM

Get you can of Brake Klean and blast all them ejection parts real well and see if that don't help. Then just a light spray of lubricant.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums