Home

Traffic powers wind turbine generator

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 04:35 PM

Absolutely love this ! Never would have thought about it but makes a ton of sense !!!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 04:36 PM

I will be happy when they start producing oil again
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 04:37 PM

Very cost effective too I'm sure. And headlights at night can power solar generators.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 04:47 PM

I wouldn't doubt if that solar panel on top is what's making the turbine spin.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 04:49 PM

I'm betting they're wired with 120V when there's no wind or sun.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 04:52 PM

I believe that it makes sense to you..... crazy

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:00 PM

Y'all ever stood next to a busy highway? Felt that heavy wind coming from passing cars and trucks ? What makes that any different then natural wind ? It's still a force that can turn that turbine and create electricity. I mean...it's a pretty simple concept. And in places with almost const moving traffic I mean what would be the problem ? Could use them to power small stuff like idk cross walk lights or something
But lemme guess this is just more woke lunacy or something right ? tired
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:02 PM

I'd bet more energy is used to manufacture and install them than they ever produce

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Y'all ever stood next to a busy highway? Felt that heavy wind coming from passing cars and trucks ? What makes that any different then natural wind ? It's still a force that can turn that turbine and create electricity. I mean...it's a pretty simple concept. And in places with almost const moving traffic I mean what would be the problem ? Could use them to power small stuff like idk cross walk lights or something

spend $20,000 to power a crosswalk light....makes perfect sense to you.... laugh
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:04 PM

I wouldn't call it woke lunacy, but I would question weather the investment in the infrastructure to build these is worth the effort.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:06 PM

One of my favorite quotes is " the finest candle makes in the world could never think of the electric lights"
Still seems to reign true

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:09 PM

One of my favorite quote is " the sheep are easily lead"

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
I like the quote stupid is forever.... smile

You know what man ? Your completely and totally right. Thank you so much for enlighten me to my ignorance......
If only guys like you where always around so we'd never have any innovations. Probably from the invention of the first cave man trying to harness fire

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:13 PM

Natural wind generators are lunacy too. It only makes sense to the politicians that own the production companies and receive the grants.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:16 PM

I'm not one bit against other forms of energy but they have to cost effective. My understanding is a lot of the so called green energy isn't. Uses more energy to produce, install, and maintain it than it ever produces. Alot of the solar stuff is made in China because of cheap production. Save the planet with green energy made in the worst polluter of the world. Kind of doesn't make sense to me.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Natural wind generators are lunacy too. It only makes sense to the politicians that own the production companies and receive the grants.

How ? Ok you know what take all the friggen political crap and corporations out of the mix who keep making it worse to try and make an extra buck and what wrong with trying to harness an energy source that's all around us and is free to try and power stuff. The logic that thats lunacy makes no sense to me at all. I mean look at stuff like geo thermal energy. Some guy in Iceland was like "HAYYYY FREE HEAT WHY DONT I FIGURE OUT A WAY TO PIPE THIS TO MY HOUSE SINCE ITS ALREADY HERE AND FREE !"
What about .
What about the free energy we can get from moving water ? Got a flowing creek ? Slap a little turbine in it and your making free energy what's the problem?

Again take out the cooperations and politics fro the idea because that just poisons everything it touches. I don't care about that I care about the possibility for innovation and to make the world better
Posted By: Blaine County

There's something to be said for innovation and trying to protect the earth. Even if the economics don't currently make sense.

Plus, y'all can throw homos and cross dressers into the spinning blades.
Posted By: TC1

Wolfie, delve into the actual costs and maintenance of these systems. One can not acquire knowledge of things thru only You Tube. Trapping, shooting, reloading, or energy systems, you only handicap yourself and show a shallow knowledge base when that is all you base your thoughts on. I have a nephew that is a “wheel” in the wind generation field. What he tells me after a couple drinks would spin your head. Fact!

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:22 PM

I like the quote stupid is forever.... smile

You know what man ? Your completely and totally right. Thank you so much for enlighten me to my ignorance......
If only guys like you where always around so we'd never have any innovations. Probably from the invention of the first cave man trying to harness fire

I was referring to the people who propose these ideas. Plus I deleted that post in less than a minute to avoid any misunderstanding once I saw that there could be one.

You really need to realize that not everything is about you....and what exactly are "guys like me"?

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:23 PM

I am fine with research but jumping into a whitewater rapid to learn how to swim aint a good idea
Posted By: hippie

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:26 PM

I use as one of my indicaters , towards if something is good or not.......does it sell itself or does it need propped up with gimmicks or money(subsidies)?

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:28 PM

once people realize that the whole green energy thing as it exists today is a scam we will be better off. But, alas.....

what we have now for green energy would be like parading around a plane that did not fly.....while saying 'look at me fly'.......like a man dressing as a woman saying 'look I am a woman'. stupidity supported by ignorance.

put that effort into making something that works instead of wasting many tens of billions on bs that does not work while abandoning things we need.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
Wolfie, delve into the actual costs and maintenance of these systems. One can not acquire knowledge of things thru only You Tube. Trapping, shooting, reloading, or energy systems, you only handicap yourself and show a shallow knowledge base when that is all you base your thoughts on. I have a nephew that is a “wheel” in the wind generation field. What he tells me after a couple drinks would spin your head. Fact!

I have and yes it's nuts the cost but that's not the point. The point is the idea in it's self .like I'm super against electric cars because they're just horrible for the environment but the idea of getting away from fossil fuels which are FINITE I think should be a common sense deal. Like yes we have plenty now Andy many we will for the next 400yrs idk but it's going to run out eventually. So why are we not interested in trying to make something better for future generations? Because I'm sorry I don't want my great great great great great great kids to still be sitting each other's throats for oil if we could find some other way.
Heck it seriously wouldn't surprise me if there was some invisible friggen energy floating around us 24/7 we know about and could harness to power stuff with next to no back lash but it's being suppressed . Trying not to look for better ways is just pure lunacy in my book. And people will say stuff like there is no better way or if there was wd be doing it so on and so forth but heck people have probably been saying that since the dawn of man. I can imagine the first caveman who said we was gonna harness from a lighting struck tree or something was probably getting told alot of the same or similar stuff. " You must feed fire ,fire could mess up meat we have always eaten raw meat fire just soming other tribe want us to mess with so we get hurt and weak"
Why would we not want to do better ? What is the point in just sting with what works because it works ? I mean if that's the case why arnt we still riding around on horses ? Or have tractors instead of hand picking crops ? It's doesn't and probably NEVER WILL make sense to me that when people did it in the past it was ok because their stuff works and now we use it but to follow in their foot steps and try and constantly push the envelope is a bad thing. I mean listen to the documentaries when it came to people who made oils a big energy source! All the coal and steam powered people where telling them the same stuff , cost of pipe lines , cost of drilling , cost of refining, " coal and animal fats have always worked we done need to change !" Well I'm pretty sure everyone here is happy they have a gas or diesel run truck and they don't have to shovel coal into a steam engine.
AND YES we're in a different time where all these big wigs mosce stuff the way the want to control and make money but still the idea of innovation and making a better future I don't think should be frowned on simply because " we have something that already works"

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:39 PM

Volcanic activities affects climate more than man could ever come close to. Ever. Man trying to influence climate with green energy is like spending trillions of dollars on nerf bullets to control coyotes.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:48 PM

good ideas sell themselves. green energy it paid for by all of us and would never sell itself because it is impractical. supporting the widespread use of technology that is so impractical no one would pay for it is lunacy.

once planes were able to actually fly and were safe they were used all over the world. before they could fly no one used them.

supporting the widespread use of a plane that does not fly because one day it will fly is lunacy.

research is great as danny already said. govt paying trillions for tech that does not work is lunacy. and to top that they are also abandoning the things that work....

if your wanting to save energy then disconnect from the grid and use only green energy for EVERYTHING.

that is not possible at this point because that plane does not fly yet...but the government is closing in on forcing us to do just that and if you support that...it is a very dangerous thing.

that is as simple as I can say it..

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 05:49 PM

I'm all for hydro generating which was used for years but mostly abandoned. Why? Not enough profit for the powers to be. I also think solar makes sense for the individual home user but not commercially.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by TC1

I have and yes it's nuts the cost but that's not the point. The point is the idea in it's self .like I'm super against electric cars because they're just horrible for the environment but the idea of getting away from fossil fuels which are FINITE I think should be a common sense deal. Like yes we have plenty now Andy many we will for the next 400yrs idk but it's going to run out eventually. So why are we not interested in trying to make something better for future generations? Because I'm sorry I don't want my great great great great great great kids to still be sitting each other's throats for oil if we could find some other way.
Heck it seriously wouldn't surprise me if there was some invisible friggen energy floating around us 24/7 we know about and could harness to power stuff with next to no back lash but it's being suppressed . Trying not to look for better ways is just pure lunacy in my book. And people will say stuff like there is no better way or if there was wd be doing it so on and so forth but heck people have probably been saying that since the dawn of man. I can imagine the first caveman who said we was gonna harness from a lighting struck tree or something was probably getting told alot of the same or similar stuff. " You must feed fire ,fire could mess up meat we have always eaten raw meat fire just soming other tribe want us to mess with so we get hurt and weak"
Why would we not want to do better ? What is the point in just sting with what works because it works ? I mean if that's the case why arnt we still riding around on horses ? Or have tractors instead of hand picking crops ? It's doesn't and probably NEVER WILL make sense to me that when people did it in the past it was ok because their stuff works and now we use it but to follow in their foot steps and try and constantly push the envelope is a bad thing. I mean listen to the documentaries when it came to people who made oils a big energy source! All the coal and steam powered people where telling them the same stuff , cost of pipe lines , cost of drilling , cost of refining, " coal and animal fats have always worked we done need to change !" Well I'm pretty sure everyone here is happy they have a gas or diesel run truck and they don't have to shovel coal into a steam engine.
AND YES we're in a different time where all these big wigs mosce stuff the way the want to control and make money but still the idea of innovation and making a better future I don't think sh ?ould be frowned on simply because " we have something that already works"

I can agree with much of what your point is, or you're trying to get across.
The problem is that politicians have destroyed the best way to go about it.
Hydroelectric dams have been used for hundreds of years.
Why are they being decommissioned ?
Many hydro dams are removed every year , because of twisted politics .
Weather you want to believe it or not , animal rights groups are behind it more than you realize.
Stop and think about it , shutting down our oil and coal production isn't the smartest thing to do.
We still need them to build the things you're talking about.
I agree those wind generators along a highway like in your OP , are feasible , but we need to have the power/electricity to produce them.
It's an idea that needs more research , and yes it could work.
But to go about it the way politicians have gone about the " GREEN NEW DEAL " is stupid !
It at this point is just a scam by the greedy politicians .
More tax money is all they care about.
Getting back to the animal rights movement, think about it , more laws against hunting, trapping, fishing , and just about anything to do with raising meat animals.
Why? Because it generates more taxes or permit fees for the government.
We all pay for the ignorance of the animal rights organizations , weather we want to or not!
Higher food prices , and higher taxes .
Wake up to just what the WOKE are doing to the world.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 09:36 PM

WOW Killed another thread.
80 Years ago we fought and died for our rights, and others rights.
Now we're so soft we don't care any more.
Don't any of you realize the emotion game being played on you?
BOCO posted a thread , you all should check it out.
I hope it opens your eyes to just what's going on today.
BOCO best thread you ever posted.
Still think you're a liberal ( modern day liberal , not the real liberal of the past ) , and can't agree with you on so many points.
But at least you're trying to learn about governments and politics .
As a trapper you amaze me , and would love to spend time on the line with you.
As a what seems to me a follower , not so much.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
WOW Killed another thread.
80 Years ago we fought and died for our rights, and others rights.
Now we're so soft we don't care any more.
Don't any of you realize the emotion game being played on you?
BOCO posted a thread , you all should check it out.
I hope it opens your eyes to just what's going on today.
BOCO best thread you ever posted.
Still think you're a liberal ( modern day liberal , not the real liberal of the past ) , and can't agree with you on so many points.
But at least you're trying to learn about governments and politics .
As a trapper you amaze me , and would love to spend time on the line with you.
As a what seems to me a follower , not so much.

.....what ?

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 09:52 PM

LOL Too hard to think about it?

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 10:31 PM

Another great example of political power interfering with people’s lives is the current idea that we must ban or basically eliminate gas and wood fired furnaces. I don’t know how big of an area the Canadian forest fires smoke plume covers, but I know for the better part of 2 weeks you could look directly at the sun nearly all day and hardly squint. Just a hunch, but I would bet that all the wood furnaces smoke expulsions combined for the past 50-100 years would not even come close to what happens naturally every single year in North American forest fires alone. The sooner one realizes that the politicians only care about their pockets being lined the better off we will all be. They don’t know crap about our planet, and listen only to those who have an agenda to push and money to steal from our coffers to grease the political pundits with.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 10:36 PM

He will not even consider that he is mistaken.

grin

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/21/23 11:17 PM

Now we have some thinking about the real problems !
While those turbines could work along a busy highway, you still need the fossil fuels to build them.
Making life harder for the people to live , isn't the goal of a real caring government.
Yet this government is giving hand outs to those that have no idea about how to live in the first place.
Then taking away the simplest ways of staying warm during the winter.
Taking away the easiest way to cook meals, and to make life easier by, putting up the summers harvest.
It's almost impossible to grow your own food in too many areas.
Yet this green new deal is doing away with everything needed today.
They don't care if people do without, as long as they control every aspect of the peoples lives.
Look at what has happened in the last 3 years.
Now go to the videos that BOCO's post is talking about.
Too many have no idea what happened 80 years ago.
To me it's happening now !
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 03:12 AM

Hydro, Nuclear, natural gas, and turn the lights on.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 05:40 AM

A bad idea ... a shopping center installed 7 vertical turbines to power their atrium. In two years, the bearings were shot. After repairs and maintenance for 5 years they gave up on them, it was costing them more than they were saving.

Put those things down the center of the road as lane dividers? Has anyone seen what happens to barrels and those posts they put out when a commercial truck goes past them? Imagine getting hit with a wind turbine when it comes loose from the roadway!
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 06:07 AM

I will say this a few years ago a state trooper was standing on shoulder of I 55 and was sucked under a semi and killed so that's something right there

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 11:47 AM

The ONLY reason there are wind generation farms is because of govt subsidies ( our tax $ ). They lose more money than they gain. Otherwise, we would all be owning one already. They have been messing around for decades now with them here and it’s still the same ol same ol. The tax funded companies hang around long enough to get them out in the ground the poof, they disappear once the maintenance kicks in. It’s all a sham.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 12:01 PM

IF it is creating electricity then why does it need solar panels on top???

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 12:12 PM

good ideas sell themselves. green energy it paid for by all of us and would never sell itself because it is impractical. supporting the widespread use of technology that is so impractical no one would pay for it is lunacy.

once planes were able to actually fly and were safe they were used all over the world. before they could fly no one used them.

supporting the widespread use of a plane that does not fly because one day it will fly is lunacy.

research is great as danny already said. govt paying trillions for tech that does not work is lunacy. and to top that they are also abandoning the things that work....

if your wanting to save energy then disconnect from the grid and use only green energy for EVERYTHING.

that is not possible at this point because that plane does not fly yet...but the government is closing in on forcing us to do just that and if you support that...it is a very dangerous thing.

that is as simple as I can say it..

BINGO!!!! Just look at KKKalifornia. They are forcing Green energy and because of it they have constant Brown and Black outs and now Hair Sniffer wants that for EVERYONE!!!
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 12:21 PM

Any more when i try to read a thread on here , i always hear the Twylite Zone music in my head ,is it just me. or my old age getting to me?
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 12:28 PM

The general population said the same things about the Wright brothers and Tesla. The government needs to stay out of the way and let business do the research and development. The public will let the winners surface and survive while the losers sink and feed the scavengers.

There are times when this forum resembles a flock of chickens. One spec of blood and they rest single out the injured one and keep after them until it is pecked to death then move on to the next.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 01:02 PM

Innovation and capitalism is what made this country great. Perpetual motion is a good idea, but just don't seem to work..
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 01:03 PM

You have to factor in the added aerodynamic drag created on the moving traffic.
That burns more fuel. Truckers are doing everything possible to optimize, this would put a bit of a damper on those attempts.
Like one truck drafting another. One gets a break, while the other suffers.
It all ads up.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 01:09 PM

And, that are mashable !
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter
The general population said the same things about the Wright brothers and Tesla. The government needs to stay out of the way and let business do the research and development. The public will let the winners surface and survive while the losers sink and feed the scavengers.

There are times when this forum resembles a flock of chickens. One spec of blood and they rest single out the injured one and keep after them until it is pecked to death then move on to the next.

Good post.

You are spot on about some of the old hens on here. No clue about much but they love to cluck the same posts over and over.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by randall brannon

IF it is creating electricity then why does it need solar panels on top???

Why not double dip if you have a generator already set up at that location??
Do you always just make one set of one type at each location you set up traps.
Geeze..

Mac
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 01:39 PM

Any of yall remember the meme that was a picture of surge protector / power strip plugged into itself? The caption said "Bernie Samders plan for free electricity"
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Drifter

You were making sense right up until you appled up the oranges.
Wind farms and solar panels are not free enterprise driven.
The folks who are pecking at the hind end of the bloody chicken can see that, and are calling it out for what it is.
Who is picking the winners and letting the losers fail in the scenario of government subsidised "green" energy?
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

Me too
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

Absolutely not true. It makes sense to the people that own the companies that build them too smile One of my clients builds wind farms all over NA. and he says they are a joke.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 10:02 PM

The government needs to stay out of the way and let business do the research and development. The public will let the winners surface and survive while the losers sink and feed the scavengers.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 10:04 PM

I have been using wind power to save gas on long trips since I started driving.
Just get right up on the bumper of a big truck,once you are in the slipstream you can feel it-it will drag you right along and if you stay there for a couple hunderd miles you will save a ton of fuel.
You gotta be dialed in behind the wheel though and not be inattentive.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 10:06 PM

The government has been picking electricity as a winner for a loooooong time. At least back to the REA. Welfare for rural people.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Just get right up on the bumper of a big truck,once you are in the slipstream you can feel it-it will drag you right along and if you stay there for a couple hunderd miles you will save a ton of fuel.

grin
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 11:36 PM

….meanwhile every city and town is lit up like a Christmas tree 24/7 365.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/22/23 11:42 PM

Boco I am confident you are not that reckless. People do try it though. I just slow down till they pass. Have at times literally came to a stop to get someone to go around.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 02:24 AM

Conservation, mass transit, live smaller, keep thinking and think bigger.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 09:59 AM

Interesting thought there, reminds me of the American/Canadian relationship. America is the big truck with Canada forever stuck in the "slipstream" behind the truck. Not much of a view either. grin grin
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 12:02 PM

A guys pocket watch quit. He took it to the watch maker to get it fixed. When he popped the back off of it a dead cockroach fell out. He said there is the problem, the engineer died.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 12:16 PM

LOL….I tried that when I was a kid, you gotta be dang close for that to work. That’d be a few hundred miles of sweaty white knuckled driving

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 12:51 PM

I knew a guy that had a new pair of roller skates. He grabbed a hold of a Model T and held on for a half mile. First his feet got hot, then no bearings then no wheels, lol.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254

Me too

Me three

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 01:03 PM

I am sure the smart people will know that bTailgaiting leads to accidents. I used to drive a Big Rig and would slam on the brakes when someone did that to me.

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 01:09 PM

You would really kill somebody to teach them to drive safe?

Re: Traffic powers wind turbine generator - 05/23/23 01:21 PM

You would really kill somebody to teach them to drive safe?

Maybe you missed the key words, "used to drive a Big Rig".
© 2024 Trapperman Forums