Home

Motor oil

Posted By: Guss

Motor oil - 05/25/23 11:47 AM

How long do you let the oil drain? . That's one of the reason I don't use thoes oil places.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 11:49 AM

As long as it takes.
Posted By: BigJoe.

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 11:51 AM

Let it drain until you think most of it is drained out. If you just ran the car to drive up on ramps, or moved it into the garage, it will continue to drain for hours. There is oil slpashed everywhere inside your engine. From the bottom of the pistons to the oil pan. If you let it drain until it starts to drip, you've got 99.9% of the oil.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by newfox1
As long as it takes.

This^
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 12:27 PM

When they suck it out with a tube, I doubt they get the heavier off the bottom.
A lot depends on where your drain plug is, I try to get it where I'm parked so it is at the lowest point. I've seen the screen on the bottom of some oil pumps pretty clogged up. The oil filter filters out what it what is going thru the critical places such as bearings and lifters. Still I don't like sludge on the bottom of the pan or other collection points.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Originally Posted by newfox1
As long as it takes.

This^

X2
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 12:39 PM

Only Coonman knows for sure, lol.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 12:46 PM

Only thing about oil change places is you drive it there so oil is hot and flows lot faster. Most that do it them selves let it cool of or even sit overnight
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 01:56 PM

Instructions from my tractor mechanic is to get engine hot, then let it drain overnight.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 02:14 PM

I usually pull drain plug In evening and change oil the next morning.Pull the filter in the morning and let that drain for a while if time allows.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Only thing about oil change places is you drive it there so oil is hot and flows lot faster.

This is key. Hot oil drains much faster.

I always drain my oil hot. It only takes a few minutes for it to drain until it drips.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Only thing about oil change places is you drive it there so oil is hot and flows lot faster.

This is key. Hot oil drains much faster.

I always drain my oil hot. It only takes a few minutes for it to drain until it drips.

Agreed, I also believe faster draining oil is more likely to wash any possible particles in the bottom of the pan out the drain plug along with the oil. Could be wrong, but it makes sense in my mind.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 02:37 PM

Drain and pull the filter the night before. Next morning screw on the Filter screw in the Drain Plug fil the motor start the motor and check for leaks then shut it off and Check the level. Don't forget to check all the fluid levels including the rear Differential.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 02:50 PM

This thin oil used in most vehicles today doesn't take long, even cold. If it's warm/hot, it comes out a hoot'n.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 02:50 PM

besides as long as it takes

when was an "oil Change professional" back in 96 start draining , remove filter , go do my underside inspection , grease and tire measurements and pressure

wipe the oil filter mount , lube the gasket , install oil filter. then wipe and put my plug back in , lower and fill

now that I am just a guy in the drive way with a set of ramps doing my own , I am not trying to make any time , but I still start the drain , go check other things or get my funnel , line up my oil bottles , lube the gasket on the filter and put the filter on.
Monday I found I didn't have a gasket so it got a Long time to drain while I took the other truck to napa to get a new filter , so much for saving money buying filters on amazon. no savings if you have to go buy a filter mid old change.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 03:42 PM

Mechanics are like cops, one or two bad ones give the whole bunch a bad rep.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 04:46 PM

I drain and then go back inside the house for awhile.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 04:49 PM

My take on it is the same as Uncle J!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 05:32 PM

Do it warm it takes a few minutes.
DONT over think it.
What few drops are left mean nothing if you regularly change your oil
K.I.S.S.

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 05:58 PM

you will warm it up on a day you can stand to lay on the ground in 5 minutes

at least on my truck the filter is in a descent place , when I was changing oil and they were coming in HOT we wanted to hang the engineer by his toes that put the filter on the back of the engine above the exhaust manifold

also even if you left a cup 8 oz of oil on a 6 quart oil change 196oz that is 4%

if your oil is so bad that 96% new oil isn't good enough you shouldn't have waited so long to change it what's doing the damage not getting 4% out or driving it with 100% bad oil
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 06:34 PM

I was shopping for oil a couple of weeks ago and it appears all the oil is called" synthetic" of some sort now? I always thought oil was a synthesized product since at least multi weight or before?

synthetic :" noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin: confused

Re: Motor oil - 05/25/23 08:19 PM

if you Costco watch their oil for deals , my co-worker keeps telling me about deals on full synthetic motor oil at Costco

I don't have a membership

Farm and fleet had a stock up sale on oil this winter bought a couple cases of synthetic blend for 2 something a quart
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Motor oil - 05/26/23 02:11 AM

Just crawled undah the pick up this afternoon....and changed my oil and filtah. Put a little coat of oil on the filter gasket and hand tighten. Soon as it staahts dripping ..I put the plug back in. Add oil and go.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Motor oil - 05/26/23 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
I was shopping for oil a couple of weeks ago and it appears all the oil is called" synthetic" of some sort now? I always thought oil was a synthesized product since at least multi weight or before?

synthetic :" noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin: confused

Most of the 'synthetic' oil is actually just homogenized like milk meaning the molecules are all the same size.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Motor oil - 05/26/23 03:39 PM

Don't over think that one. I take the plug out, get the rest of the stuff together, change the filter, put the plug back in and fill her up. Sweating if ya got that last shot glass full out of the engine or not just aint worth it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums