Home

Smoked fish recipes share please

Posted By: nvwrangler

Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 04:31 AM

Looking to smoke some cutthroat and kokanee and favorite recipes your willing to share.

Ive been practicing keeping them lit for you wise guys.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 07:57 AM

Regular matches, or butane lighter? (didn't want to disaapoint you!) laugh
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 09:58 AM

I take my steelhead (average 7 to 8 lbs.) Cut them into three sections Tail, middle , and towards head pieces.
Soak them in one cup pickling salt to one gallon of water mixture for 10 to 12 hours.
I've tried adding every thing from spices to orange juice to the mixture and found out I don't seem to taste much of anything different except for the salt, smoke and fish. I smoke with a fruit and hardwood mix at around 180°F for 12 hours. I will warn you about putting anything with sugar in your brine as that will be the first thing that wants to caramelize and possibly char. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get a bunch more opinions
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 10:38 AM

For every gallon of water
1 cup salt
2 cups maple syrup or 1 cup brown sugar
Soak for 12-24 hours
Smoke to internal temperature of 175 for carp
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 11:02 AM

In Wisconsin they add salt to the Brine until it floats an egg. then soak overnight and use a combination Hickory and Applewood smoke until done
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 11:15 AM

Turtledale...1 gallon of salt to 1 gallon of water???

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by randall brannon
In Wisconsin they add salt to the Brine until it floats an egg. then soak overnight and use a combination Hickory and Applewood smoke until done

Yes the egg floating is the proper way to do it.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 12:31 PM

I have to go along with Mad Scientist. I never liked racking my fish, I always hung them. I left the smoker door open for 30 minutes or so to let the Moisture out.
Posted By: GARY M.

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 01:12 PM

Way I smoke my trout on a brinkman smoker, half a cup of salt , cup of brown sugar, and a garlic bulb cut up, in a couple inches of water mix all , place fish marinate overnight, pat dry, then put on smoker, simple and tasty.
Posted By: nate

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 02:02 PM

What's the reason for soaking in salt brine?
Posted By: gcs

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 02:12 PM

I don't smoke a lot of fish, but I just dry rub the fish after drying it to form a pellicle and smoke it, comes out fine....this is hot smoking so cold might need a different technique?,
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 02:13 PM

Smoked laker

I just did this with 25 lbs of laker. Its awesome. Not brining to long was a problem of mine. Last year i left it brine overnight. Salty is and understatement. I also canned some per 160’s advice. Tbsp of oil and fish. Had it the other day with cream cheese on a bagel for breakfast at the 3D shoot!!! Was great
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 02:46 PM

Al I want to add is I once had some smoked salmon from someone in Alaska and after smoking they had canned it with some sweet baby ray's bbq sauce added, it was by far the best smoked fish I have ever eaten. Well worth the added effort to do a few 1/2 pint jars IMO.
Posted By: GARY M.

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 02:57 PM

To each there own on salt, I like my fish a little salty.
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 04:41 PM

I use 2 parts demettria brown sugar, one part salt. Put fish in pan flesh side up.
Mix salt and sugar together then sprinkle liberally over fish. Fill pan with water to top of fish and refrigerate for min 12 hrs. After 12 hrs rinse fish and pat dry, then smoke until done. I prefer alder for smoking.

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by nate
What's the reason for soaking in salt brine?

I thought that was the only way to do it.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/04/23 07:52 PM

Don't get too fancy. Just 50/50 brown sugar and salt. Dry brine for a few hours depending on size of fish. Rinse off, air dry with a fan until dry to the touch, then smoke.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/08/23 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rat_Pack
Turtledale...1 gallon of salt to 1 gallon of water???

Sorry cup of salt to gallon of water lol
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Smoked fish recipes share please - 06/08/23 10:41 PM

How do you know when it is done?
Asking for the guy that over cooks everything lol.

I like the canning with bbq idea.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums