Home

Social Security

Posted By: wy.wolfer

Social Security - 08/13/23 07:51 PM

Anyone here know for certain, or at least have a good accurate idea why the Federal Government is changing Social Securities name to "Federal Benefit Payment".? Serious answers and questions please. This is a real question.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 07:53 PM

Should be, “Here’s your take of the monies we stole and made interest on over your last 60+ years of labor” but that my be too long of a title.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 07:59 PM

I was supposed with amount I can get at 65, especially for being homeless and unemployed.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 08:05 PM

Just a guess , but maybe it sounds better as a payment/benefit instead of an earned return on a savings plan.
Twisting the truth is a common factor of the government of today.
Just like our resident lawyers love to twist the truth.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 08:05 PM

Marketing to the masses. Probably gave some PR firm run by family members a bunch of money to come up with to boot.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 08:09 PM

They want retirees to look like govt dependents.
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

That won't work, we paid into that system our whole working lives. Anyone that thinks different can go...... well, you know.

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 08:17 PM

They will be here soon to comment, Tommyran...
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tommyran
Originally Posted by Gary Benson

That won't work, we paid into that system our whole working lives. Anyone that thinks different can go...... well, you know.

You have to remember the people of today are just gullible enough to believe anything they hear .
They defiantly aren't smart enough to think for themselves.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Anyone here know for certain, or at least have a good accurate idea why the Federal Government is changing Social Securities name to "Federal Benefit Payment".? Serious answers and questions please. This is a real question.

That's from a viral email from back in 2012. The name is not changing.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/federal-benefit-payments/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-been-known-federal-benefit/5526299002/

Keith

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 09:26 PM

I'm in the process of applying for Social Security right now. I went to the Rifle Colorado office and the senior SSA advisor referred to it twice as my Federal benefit payment?
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 09:29 PM

I'm in the process of applying for Social Security right now. I went to the Rifle Colorado office and the senior SSA advisor referred to it twice as my Federal benefit payment?

I did it over the computer 3 years ago. Piece of cake. It's NOT a benefit, it's YOUR MONEY. I would have said something to him. He wouldn't like it.

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

That's from a viral email from back in 2012. The name is not changing.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/federal-benefit-payments/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...s-been-known-federal-benefit/5526299002/

Keith

Keith , Google your "Fact check Bias Chart" and you'll notice that both Snopes and USA today are rated as left leaning. You can also see who presents a center based view and which reporting entities are right leaning.
Posted By: charles

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 09:40 PM

Never was a savings plan, but insurance for widows, minor children, disabled, and elderly.

Not familiar with the name change. Think of all the office signage that would need changing.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 09:41 PM

You always believe everything you read wolfer?
Posted By: James

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 09:46 PM

So who authors and publishes this "Fact Check Bias Chart"?

Jim
Posted By: Guss

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 09:58 PM

2034 then social security gives 800 dollars not what you get be f ore 2034! mad

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Never was a savings plan, but insurance for widows, minor children, disabled, and elderly.

Not familiar with the name change. Think of all the office signage that would need changing.

And Senior citizens beginning at age 62

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 10:06 PM

Some restaurants acknowledge Sr Citizens as 55 yrs

Re: Social Security - 08/13/23 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by James

Jim

That's a good question Jim. Why don't you look in to your question and get back to us? This should be an easy, small task for an attorney..... I just looked and it's called "All Sides" they rate opinions from thousands of readers and make the determination based on an opinion poll. Kind of like the opinion poll you asked for on this site a day or two ago, the one that got deleted.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:30 AM

It doesn’t matter what they call it, at it’s core it’s highway robbery at best. For the amount of money most people pay into it through the course of their lives retirees should all be living like kings. Glad I don’t pay into it anymore.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:45 AM

50 yrs ago, I was 17 and they needed laborers to lay sod at the school. I helped, and they needed my SS# so they could keep part of the wages. Probly 1.75/hr then if that.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:48 AM

8.7% increase last year. Didn’t hear any complaints from retirees. Will increase this year as well. Military retirements will get an increase as well.

I used to tell my insurance clients that no widow has ever returned a life insurance check or complained that they should have never taken out the life insurance. They always said thank you.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:52 AM

Nobody paying into it anymore-Print baby Print.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:53 AM

It might have to do with the fact that Medicare and other programs comes through that department, and not just a social security check.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:54 AM

I hope employees and employers are still paying. Whatever makes you think otherwise?
Posted By: concrete man

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:57 AM

With inflation so high not really a increase.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:57 AM

Same for all of us. I started at $1.60 and no overtime until 54 hours. Did farm work as a kid for $.50/ hour, payable at Christmas after the crops were sold.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 12:58 AM

I hope employees and employers are still paying. Whatever makes you think otherwise?

Its marxist-aint nobody got time fo dat.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 01:18 AM

8.7% increase last year. Didn’t hear any complaints from retirees. Will increase this year as well. Military retirements will get an increase as well.

I used to tell my insurance clients that no widow has ever returned a life insurance check or complained that they should have never taken out the life insurance. They always said thank you.

Life insurance has nothing to do with SS
And the life insurance was paid for. And you got your cut out of it.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 02:23 AM

The increases last year and those for next year will not come close to keeping up with the numbers the liars publish for cost of living increase. Bidennomics sucks!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Fact is,If a Pakistani comes to your country,,they can bring their elderly folks with them,,who automaticly get an old folks pension,,,on YOUR dollar.You should pay more attention to your own country,,,Pakistanada.Keep catching beavers,,a Pakistani is depending on ya.Trap baby trap. grin
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 02:54 AM

I hope employees and employers are still paying.

So do the EBT card holders!

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1
I hope employees and employers are still paying.

So do the EBT card holders!

Bingo !

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by Boco

Fact is,If a Pakistani comes to your country,,they can bring their elderly folks with them,,who automaticly get an old folks pension,,,on YOUR dollar.You should pay more attention to your own country,,,Pakistanada.Keep catching beavers,,a Pakistani is depending on ya.Trap baby trap. grin

Pakis are working all over the place,paying me to trap and live high on the hog.,lol.
I'm gonna start selling them fur this winter when they are freezing their tropical arses off,lol.
Posted By: James

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by James

Jim

That's a good question Jim. Why don't you look in to your question and get back to us? This should be an easy, small task for an attorney..... I just looked and it's called "All Sides" they rate opinions from thousands of readers and make the determination based on an opinion poll. Kind of like the opinion poll you asked for on this site a day or two ago, the one that got deleted.

No, it's not like my request for opinions. I didn't promote my thread as accurate or containing anything more than opinions.

But I can see how you'd confuse the two. "Fact Bias" is only surveying opinions also.

Jim
Posted By: Guss

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 01:00 PM

SS has been a ATM for crooks for so many years.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 03:41 PM

Jim, I don't believe I promoted my thread as a fact. In "fact" I did say it was based on an opinion poll. And suggested you look at the opinion poll.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 04:46 PM

From what I hear there is a real push right now to do away with the tax you pay on SS when you start drawing checks. The money you paid into SS when you were working was taxed before it went in. They tax you again when you start drawing it out. Double taxation by the IRS. They get you going and coming. May not get it done this year, but next year is election year. Hopefully then.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTrash 88
From what I hear there is a real push right now to do away with the tax you pay on SS when you start drawing checks. The money you paid into SS when you were working was taxed before it went in. They tax you again when you start drawing it out. Double taxation by the IRS. They get you going and coming. May not get it done this year, but next year is election year. Hopefully then.

If I remember correctly, both Democrats and Republicans pushed for this retirement tax on SS. Both groups are crooks.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 04:54 PM

I've just given up on the idea that I'll be able to use it
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 05:27 PM

A good start to fixing Social Security would be dropping the fraudsters on Social Security Disability--you know guys that can travel, hunt, trap, fish, garden, post on the internet all day but supposedly can't get a job.

And, don't just drop them--make them pay back the money they stole from honest hard working Americans.

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 07:11 PM

This I can't understand, if you have underage children and you are over 65 yrs. old. Why do they get $800 and change a month? I have a very wealthy neighbor that decided to dump his old wife at 56 years of age and got married to an Hispanic woman that was 27 yrs. old. when he was 62, and they started having kids when he was 64. When he turned 65 his kids, that he chose to have, get Social Security until they turn 18. I live in a very wealthy ski town, and this neighbor is worth many millions, and his kids qualify for Social Security?
Posted By: yousowise

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 09:11 PM

Me too, start dumping 25% of your gross pay into retirement accounts invested in the market. If you’re young enough it won’t matter what the state of social security is.

Replying to Wolfie
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 10:34 PM

Wow. Does your new wife have to be Hispanic? I dont speak Spanish. Can your current wife still live with you after you divorce her? My current wife might go for that if I can find a young one that will do all the housework too.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 10:49 PM

PS can you put those kids on food stamps and medicare too?

Re: Social Security - 08/14/23 11:21 PM

This I can't understand, if you have underage children and you are over 65 yrs. old. Why do they get $800 and change a month? I have a very wealthy neighbor that decided to dump his old wife at 56 years of age and got married to an Hispanic woman that was 27 yrs. old. when he was 62, and they started having kids when he was 64. When he turned 65 his kids, that he chose to have, get Social Security until they turn 18. I live in a very wealthy ski town, and this neighbor is worth many millions, and his kids qualify for Social Security?

This sounds like one of those old math questions.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Social Security - 08/15/23 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
A good start to fixing Social Security would be dropping the fraudsters on Social Security Disability--you know guys that can travel, hunt, trap, fish, garden, post on the internet all day but supposedly can't get a job.

And, don't just drop them--make them pay back the money they stole from honest hard working Americans.

You do realize that those are different programs with different funds?
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Social Security - 08/15/23 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er

You do realize that those are different programs with different funds?

I do. How does that change what I wrote?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Social Security - 08/15/23 01:11 PM

Don't know

Re: Social Security - 08/15/23 11:44 PM

It doesn't as long as you are aware of it. Many to most people don't realize that OAS(retirement) and SSI(disability) are different programs and have different accounts.

The OP is asking about OAS not SSI.
Posted By: Mando

Re: Social Security - 08/15/23 11:47 PM

That can go for other taxes too.

Re: Social Security - 08/15/23 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Should be, “Here’s your take of the monies we stole and made interest on over your last 60+ years of labor” but that my be too long of a title.

Interest? You think they sat on this money? They spent it. Rob Peter to pay Paul.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 01:28 AM

No problem with taxing social security incomes of the very wealthy.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 11:24 AM

Define very wealthy.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
PS can you put those kids on food stamps and medicare too?

They freakin are! He's a retired CPA, shows no income from finance manipulation and has the kids enrolled in all the programs.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 02:36 PM

It doesn't as long as you are aware of it. Many to most people don't realize that OAS(retirement) and SSI(disability) are different programs and have different accounts.

The OP is asking about OAS not SSI.

Who funds SSI (disability)?

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 02:39 PM

People only pay Social Security taxes on the first $160,200 of their income. The rich don't have to contribute after they make that amount.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 05:59 PM

The tax payer does.

We should first explain the 3 programs. OAS is the retirement program, SSI is supplemental security income and SSDI is disability.

Funding for SSDI and OAS is through the FICA and self employment taxes. FICA is 13.4 percent of income to 160k or so. Of that 12.4 percent .9 percent goes into SSDI fund and the rest goes into OAS fund. Each fund has its own balance and each fund will go tits up eventually. Many people erroneously think that people on SSDI are draing the OAS fund. Not true. That doesn't mean the program is rigged with fraud.

SSI is funded through the general fund.

Nothing can fix OAS, it's been doomed to fail from the start

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 07:04 PM

The tax payer does.

We should first explain the 3 programs. OAS is the retirement program, SSI is supplemental security income and SSDI is disability.

Funding for SSDI and OAS is through the FICA and self employment taxes. FICA is 13.4 percent of income to 160k or so. Of that 12.4 percent .9 percent goes into SSDI fund and the rest goes into OAS fund. Each fund has its own balance and each fund will go tits up eventually. Many people erroneously think that people on SSDI are draing the OAS fund. Not true. That doesn't mean the program is rigged with fraud.

SSI is funded through the general fund.

Nothing can fix OAS, it's been doomed to fail from the start

It has only been doomed since the Gov. started tapping into it for their own "special" projects.Goose that layed the golden egg,,except they killed the goose.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 07:44 PM

Why does everyone go after the wealthy. Most are not evil people.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 10:22 PM

It was doomed from the start. The math is undeniable

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 10:33 PM

Anything/everything that requires perpetual growth for sustainability is doomed to crash/fail sooner or later.
What goes up MUST come down.

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 10:51 PM

NOW you're referring to the coyote market!
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Social Security - 08/16/23 10:52 PM

Define very wealthy.

Most people define wealthy as anyone that makes more than they do. That's why it is so easy to drum up hatred for wealthy folks, because no one thinks it's themself.

Re: Social Security - 08/17/23 12:18 AM

I owe nobody nuthin. Except property taxes. I'm rich, but not wealthy.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums