Home

What states allow you to sale coon carcasses?

Posted By: martyd

What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:25 AM

Was hoping to get some feed back on this question … what states allow you to sale coon carcasses ? I know IL does not. I know people do sale them but was wondering what states it is actually legal in ? Thanks. Marty
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:29 AM

It depends on what they are selling for, meaning the intended use of them. If they are selling for alligator bait for example vs. for human consumption. Most people I've heard of around here sell them as alligator bait or alligator food. That is what it said in the memo of the checks from the buyers.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:30 AM

Some questions just shouldn't be asked sometimes. I would consider this one of those.
With all the talk these days of all the people who are walking around hungry, who really cares?
Do your civic duty. Feed them.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:34 AM

Not Georgia.... frown
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:44 AM

ks does but there is no market
Posted By: charles

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:47 AM

No wild game sales in N C. We can sell the hides of fur baring animals but no deer hide or antlers.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:50 AM

You can sell them here,
Posted By: The Beav

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 02:25 AM

You can sell them In SC.
Posted By: Savell

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 02:33 AM

Round here….a man is allowed to give people some coon …. And people are allowed give a man some money next time they see him
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
Round here….a man is allowed to give people some coon …. And people are allowed give a man some money

Savell if u could teach all the tourists coming across the border to appreciate gourmet coon we'd have reason to target them again
Posted By: Savell

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 02:41 AM

… we have a differnt demo in east Tx that likes them… but the younger ones don’t have the same taste it seems

.. but yeah .. you get those pepper bellies on it and they’d keep you in business lol

… they like goat heads more than anything though
Posted By: Roger Ringgold

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 08:06 AM

allowed jn Maryland.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 10:10 AM

michigan, you can sell any and all parts of a furbearer
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 10:37 AM

Legal in Ohio, just not for human consumption.
Posted By: cotton

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 11:53 AM

pretty sure we can in vA..
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 01:40 PM

Legal in NC.....
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by charles
No wild game sales in N C. We can sell the hides of fur baring animals but no deer hide or antlers.

You can’t sell deer hides??? Strange.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by charles

Charles, I do not have time to look up the chapter and verse for you right now but selling raccoon carcesses for consumption is legal in NC.

Generally, you are correct about the prohibited sale of wild game but there are exceptions like raccoon meat and some other species also.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 06:07 PM

MS LA FL. $10 all day long and I don't have to dunk around with fur handling.

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 07:23 PM

Yep i sold a lot of coon In MS
Posted By: Boco

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 08:29 PM

Can sell furbearer carcasses here for personal use of the buyer-not for re sale to public in restaurant etc.
Have to provide note to buyer that meat has not been gov't inspected.
Lots of locals come to our skinning workshops to by lynx meat.The frenchmen buy castors to put in their bottle of gin to make a tonic.
Beaver is also in demand for smoked beaver.(sagabon)
Posted By: russ32

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 09:12 PM

Beave i remember a lot you sold in Mis'
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/26/23 09:39 PM

Yep we can in Louisiana. Coon are at hot item around Christmas, New Years and Super Bowl.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 12:05 AM

One time some guys from S. Miss. made the long drive to Iowa to pick up a truck load full of frozen raccoon carcasses. I think they nearly died as it was dark and 8 degrees at the time. Never heard folks complain so much about heavy sweatshirt weather. LOL

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 01:43 AM

I bought coon from several Iowa trappers when i was In the coon carcass business.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

That's not totally true, it's more like buyer choice as to what they do with it.
I know I read somewhere that a Wildlife officer could inspect the carcasses , and approve them for sale, but never seen or heard of a trapper or fur buyer going through the process.
The market is getting smaller as the older generation is leaving us. RIP .
My biggest concern was to make sure of how the coon carcass was obtained. The use of fly bait got very heavy for awhile , and sure didn't want some that were taken that way.
Last I knew any fur bearing animal could be sold in carcass form , less the hide.
Check the laws , as they change every year it seems.
Same with turtle , they can't be sold alive but can be sold as meat.
The size limit has changed within the last 4 years or so also.
Rabbit and squirrel are game animals, same as deer , and game birds , can't be sold.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

That's not totally true, it's more like buyer choice as to what they do with it.
I know I read somewhere that a Wildlife officer could inspect the carcasses , and approve them for sale, but never seen or heard of a trapper or fur buyer going through the process.
The market is getting smaller as the older generation is leaving us. RIP .
My biggest concern was to make sure of how the coon carcass was obtained. The use of fly bait got very heavy for awhile , and sure didn't want some that were taken that way.
Last I knew any fur bearing animal could be sold in carcass form , less the hide.
Check the laws , as they change every year it seems.
Same with turtle , they can't be sold alive but can be sold as meat.
The size limit has changed within the last 4 years or so also.
Rabbit and squirrel are game animals, same as deer , and game birds , can't be sold.

Turtles are the only ones you can sell explicitly as for human consumption. All the others the buyer can do whatever they want with thrm. You can go to a grocery store and buy expired meat they haven't thrown out yet . They just can't sell it to you as food for human consumption. If you go home and cook it up and eat it, that's not their problem.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 03:59 PM

In Oregon we can sell all parts of fur bearers including coon carcasses. Never heard of anybody wanting them here though.

But the government agency that permits those sales (ODFW) is not the same as the Oregon Dept of Ag which takes a dim view of selling wild meats to consumers.
Posted By: gcs

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 07:11 PM

Have no idea if it's legal here, but a friend of mine sold a bunch to a guy that resold them to his people, friend was happy, middle man was happy, customers were happy...Nobody bothered to ask permission...
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 07:14 PM

All 50 states allow it, as long as you keep your mouth shut and don't make a big deal about it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/27/23 07:15 PM

Never thought to ask permission to do anything with a carcass sold a few when I was trapping in IL but no interest here in SD I’d give them away anyway.
Posted By: Bearcub

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/28/23 12:29 AM

New Jersey
Posted By: claycreech

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/28/23 12:44 AM

Legal in Missouri.
Sold thousands when we were killing coon.
Posted By: IllinoisTraps58

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/28/23 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by martyd
Was hoping to get some feed back on this question … what states allow you to sale coon carcasses ? I know IL does not. I know people do sale them but was wondering what states it is actually legal in ? Thanks. Marty

I’m not sure who told you but selling coon carcasses is legal in Illinois. You’ll need a “Processed Wild Game Permit” for $25 and you’re supposed to keep a log of how many you sold. It’s required to show a game warden but not reported to DNR. Believe me when I tell you this as I went through the whole Magilla with DNR, County Health Department, local newspaper and 2 game wardens. It’s in the thick game codes book in detail. Far be it for me to tell anyone right from wrong, you do what you please.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: What states allow you to sale coon carcasses? - 09/28/23 02:36 AM

Unlawful in Pa.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums