Home

HVAC question

Posted By: coonman220

HVAC question - 10/07/23 04:44 PM

My 2 stage gas furnace is nearly 23 yrs old, I put new filter in every month to 6 wks. Keep heat set 72 yr round . Had earlier yrs alot parts an blower motor put in. Not a one problem in at least 5-6 yrs. No rivets in bottom furnace a yr ago. That would indicate a heat exchanger fail. I was told. See no rivers from it lay on bottom furnace . Got appliance repair protection plan now an got free annual HVAC next week. Well not free as I pay for it every month . Anyone know on how u know heat exchanger crack ? My windows in house always fog up moisture alot an lately when furnace on but I think do that for many yrs . I hear if they find bad heat exchanger they shut ur gas off right now, I have CO2 detector upstairs
Posted By: Mando

Re: HVAC question - 10/07/23 04:59 PM

Put a carbon monoxide detector in your basement.
Posted By: kingrat

Re: HVAC question - 10/07/23 09:19 PM

Turn on the fan only. Take a bbq lighter and put it in front of the burner tube, if the bbq lighter blows out or dances lots its cracked. There's lots of good videos on you tube about how to test it. And yes if they find it they will disable your furnace immediately.

Re: HVAC question - 10/07/23 11:00 PM

There a cover on furnace . If take off. Safety switch is released an won't run..I guess find out . I would think there be other symptoms . I rember when they put new gasline in. A technician had go house an look at anything do with gas. He couldn't figure out there safety switch on front panel an kept screw around furnace. Has show him how lite water heater. He wasn't who is come out though . Furnace pretty pricey . There lot different furnaces can buy. Some cheaper but installation is the thing. I read it smell.like formaldehyde . If crack heat exchanger . The windows sometime fog at nite. Something do with dry out an inside not. All I know is I heard rivots on heat exchanger fall down an u see them if shot. No rivots lay around . Some tech was say my furnace last 30 or more yrs. If we're cracked, I have to see them myself
Posted By: jalstat

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 12:39 AM

CO detector not CO2 big difference
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 12:51 AM

Installing a furnace isn't rocket surgery. I replaced the gas furnace and central air unit in our home myself. I had a licensed HVAC person inspect my work after I installed it and it was good to go. Ordered my furnace from Alpine Air in Colorado. I think I paid about $2800 for furnace, A/C unit and all the parts to install, delivered to my door. About $10,000 less than a couple of HVAC companies wanted.

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
Installing a furnace isn't rocket surgery. I replaced the gas furnace and central air unit in our home myself. I had a licensed HVAC person inspect my work after I installed it and it was good to go. Ordered my furnace from Alpine Air in Colorado. I think I paid about $2800 for furnace, A/C unit and all the parts to install, delivered to my door. About $10,000 less than a couple of HVAC companies wanted.

How many people have the equipment to braze the line set or vacuum the lines?
Posted By: nate

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 01:37 AM

Make the door switch then start the furnace and watch for flame roll out,

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mando
Originally Posted by trapperkeck

How many people have the equipment to braze the line set or vacuum the lines?

You're right, I had the fella who checked my work do that part and charge the A/C. The bill from him was $160.
Posted By: charles

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 02:36 AM

Beware of performing tasks requiring a license. If your house burns down, your homeowner policy may not pay. On the application that you signed, there is a question regarding HVAC, electrical, and plumbing done by a licensed contractor.

When I was in the insurance business, an applicant bragged during a telephone call by an underwriter about all the work he had done himself. His application for insurance was promptly denied.

Had another client that did some electrical work himself. House burned down and his wife was killed. The company cancelled his coverage on his renewal date, a few months before the fire.
Posted By: DRF

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 03:28 AM

Our windows used to get condensation on them. Turned out to be a mostly clogged chimney.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by charles

When I was in the insurance business, an applicant bragged during a telephone call by an underwriter about all the work he had done himself. His application for insurance was promptly denied.

Had another client that did some electrical work himself. House burned down and his wife was killed. The company cancelled his coverage on his renewal date, a few months before the fire.

Exactly the reason I've never had nor intend to have homeowner's insurance. It's supposed to be homeowner, not insurancecompanyowner. If I can't fix the AC in my house, or heat my house with wood.... is it really even my house?
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 04:25 AM

I'm a bit confused about all the comments about windows with condensation on them. Is having condensation on the inside of your windows in cold weather NOT normal??

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 04:37 AM

So older furnaces are likely to have crack heat exchangers ? They shut it furnace down if so ?
Posted By: Mike C

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 10:34 AM

A little moisture is one thing, but excess Condensation on your windows is not normal, unless the heated area’s windows are single pane. Condensation forms due to the products of combustion not ventilating properly. Cracked exchanger or blocked chimney are two causes. This moisture also is a sign of higher than normal CO levels which could be dangerous and/or lethal.

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Exactly the reason I've never had nor intend to have homeowner's insurance. It's supposed to be homeowner, not insurancecompanyowner. If I can't fix the AC in my house, or heat my house with wood.... is it really even my house?

Do you have a mortgage? If we don't get insurance or let it lapse, the lein holder will put it on at our cost. Usually more than what we pay.

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I'm a bit confused about all the comments about windows with condensation on them. Is having condensation on the inside of your windows in cold weather NOT normal??

In my case yotetrapper the condensation wasn’t the typical you sometimes see, it was heavy at the bottom of the glass and not foggy, just drops of water. Hadn’t lived here long and just assumed that’s how this house was and I used to just wipe it up. One morning I noticed the furnace would turn off and on much quicker than normal. Short cycling I believe the furnace guy said. He found the clogged chimney and that was the issue. Then he told me to get a carbon monoxide detector in there somewhere close to the furnace. Also don’t get me started on homeowners insurance lol

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 02:26 PM

Just see condensation on windows sometimes in morning. Later in day..nothing . I take the detecter down by furnace but probly most detectors don't go off, unless quite bad

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 02:40 PM

Can't bad leaking windows have condensation too?

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Just see condensation on windows sometimes in morning. Later in day..nothing . I take the detecter down by furnace but probly most detectors don't go off, unless quite bad

Actually, those detectors are very sensitive.

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mando
Can't bad leaking windows have condensation too?

I’m sure they could but in my case once the furnace issue was resolved the condensation went away.

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 06:05 PM

Wonder if in early 2000s years of furnace if heat exchanger is cast iron ?
Posted By: kingrat

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 06:51 PM

did u do a flame test like i said

Re: HVAC question - 10/08/23 07:42 PM

Don't got barbeque lighter. I put co 2 detecter on furnace an nothing happen . I guess find out this week
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: HVAC question - 10/09/23 09:51 AM

If hvac guy red tags it, thank him and buy new.

My 30 yr old one had welded stainless exchanger,
no rivets, did not set off homeowner sensors,
and was cracked. Knew it was past time to scrap it when
burners would not function proper because crack interrupted
normal flow function.

You are smart to have annual inspection of old furnace
by a qualified tech. A good tech has a sniffer tool
that is better than home detector.

Re: HVAC question - 10/09/23 02:21 PM

Hopefully turn out alright. Works good for long time . Used breakdown alot an lots parts replaced
Posted By: charles

Re: HVAC question - 10/09/23 05:07 PM

Go fund me is not a responsible substitute for homeowner insurance. Building codes save lots of lives.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: HVAC question - 10/09/23 10:21 PM

Go fund me is not a responsible substitute for homeowner insurance.

What does that mean?

Re: HVAC question - 10/11/23 02:51 PM

Just had inspection..put a blower motor capacitor in that weak. Say heat exchanger ok but has a ring or dark spot in 1 place, so someday it gonna go bad or crack. Say have inspected in another year. Say last maybe a year or 2 or 3. Did a CO2 test outside by pipe an all good for now. He did say if heat exchanger crack or fail exhaust test there policy is to shut furnace down , I watch technician. Possibly download app on pH for connect to camera that he put in port to look heat exchanger ? Not sure as never ask but he say was look heat exchanger, also used lite on his pH to look inside port

Re: HVAC question - 10/11/23 04:08 PM

I pay $18.95 a month plus tax for my appliance repair plan. Replacement plan is $42.95 mo. So supposably if can't fix appliance cover. Like furnace , replace new for free? I wonder if they really would or try get out it , they say something about max amount on replace cost ? Those warrantee or protection plans always have exclusions like ins co does an try get out stuff

Re: HVAC question - 10/14/23 07:29 PM

Anyone had appliance repair plans with gas co. ? $25 more month with tax included. I can get replace plan. Don't cover pre exist conditions. Furnace is 2001. Other day. Tech say can see dark spot, where likely in next yr to 3 years the heat exchanger well crack . No idea what tech it was that see it or if have appliance repair guy out for something else that be him. Not sure if good idea to spend $25 more mo. for replacement plan . Would they likely say it prexisting if furnace malfunction this winter an say it prexisting an not cover it ? The gas co say they leave this stuff up to tech ? I didn't tell tech I go get replace plan . Just idea mine there exclusions to everything . I dont know if good or bad idea to add $25 more mo for replacement plan just for furnace
© 2024 Trapperman Forums