tree tubes

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

tree tubes - 10/24/23 10:51 PM

this is why I use them. [Linked Image] grass is 2 foot high
[Linked Image]
one year is short one and second year its out of the top be 18 inches
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: tree tubes - 10/24/23 11:40 PM

In addition to browse control, they also stop the deer from rubbing on them. Another benefit is the greenhouse effect to amplify growth. I know they add a significant cost to planting but I use them on seedlings that require a high amount of labor to get in the ground…like hardwood rootstock.
Posted By: AJE

Re: tree tubes - 11/29/23 04:54 AM

I ordered some Plantra 5' tubes the other day

Re: tree tubes - 11/29/23 10:38 AM

I should have said to get the ones with the hole halfway up, hopefully they are most now days do,
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: tree tubes - 11/29/23 01:37 PM

I used them when I planted a lot of sawtooth oaks. I bought a Stihl gas drill with a side handle and a 5-inch auger. It would be a wrist breaker without the side handle. It piles the nice fluffy dirt around the hole, just put the seedling in and push the dirt in over the roots. I also put down a 2x2 piece of black plastic before the tube and stake to keep the grass and weeds from growing around it.

Re: tree tubes - 12/08/23 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
I should have said to get the ones with the hole halfway up, hopefully they are most now days do,

Why do want a hole in them? I would think mice could crawl through, depending on snow depth

Re: tree tubes - 12/09/23 11:31 AM

the holes are only in the top half of the tubes, an a allows the air to flow thru some, the holes are only 1/2 inch , just found some that I planted 3 years ago, during hunting season, I flag them so went I come back I can find them, well they are only about a foot high, the ones that I planted at the same time with the tubes are 5-6 feet with tubes,
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: tree tubes - 12/09/23 12:32 PM

Do you think maybe the tubes help to get the seedling to grow taller to reach light?

Re: tree tubes - 12/10/23 03:20 AM

I've thought about taking a hot nail & putting some small holes near the top of tree tubes

Re: tree tubes - 12/19/23 03:30 AM

I used wood stakes the other day for the first time ever with tree tubes. They work decent but then it occurred to me that mice could crawl up them.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: tree tubes - 12/19/23 04:50 AM

I use tree tubes down here all the time, and it definitely helps. Have to carefully watch them though as fire ants have learned to build inside the tubes and mound dirt up the tube which will kill the tree. I hate fire ants.
Not that ya'll have to worry about that up north, just putting it here for any southern guys.

Re: tree tubes - 12/22/23 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey
I use tree tubes down here all the time, and it definitely helps. Have to carefully watch them though as fire ants have learned to build inside the tubes and mound dirt up the tube which will kill the tree. I hate fire ants.
Not that ya'll have to worry about that up north, just putting it here for any southern guys.

Up here, the forester had told me to lift the tube about 1 week a year to discourage ants.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: tree tubes - 12/22/23 03:41 PM

Ants are like beaver…relentless. Unless you kill them all, they will just build back bigger if you disturb them.

I’ll be planting dogwood whips this spring and thinking about using sections of corrugated sump pump hose as tubes. Cheap and would prevent being browsed all the way to the ground.
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: tree tubes - 12/22/23 04:36 PM

In the south, they are a fireant magnet. I have had them girdle the trees. Also had some trees extending out of the tube get damaged by blowing around and rubbing on the top of the tube and breaking off. I dont use them anymore

Re: tree tubes - 12/28/23 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteCliffs
..had some trees extending out of the tube get damaged by blowing around and rubbing on the top of the tube and breaking off..

That would be bad frown
Posted By: Orlando

Re: tree tubes - 12/28/23 01:03 PM

I plant bare root seedling oaks either with a tree planter behind a tractor, or if not planting many with a dibble bar or spade. Then I drive a 30" x 1/2" rebar beside it and leave a foot sticking out. Slip a 5' PVC over the rebar and attach to the 5' tree tube. Leave it on until the trunk splits the tube.
The pvc is flexible enough to help build girth on the new tree's trunk. It also helps keeping the tree from breaking off above the tube during high winds.
5' tube is necessary here to keep the deer from browsing them off.
I find that if I bury the bottom of the tube slightly with dirt, mice and voles are less of a problem.
I have trees all planted the same day. Those with tubes are 10' tall or so. Those without, are no more than 2' tall due to deer browse.

Re: tree tubes - 12/31/23 06:36 AM

Rabbits are a key reason for tree tubes.

Re: tree tubes - 12/31/23 12:02 PM

tubes work great 3x the growth,

Re: tree tubes - 01/01/24 05:13 PM

tubes work great 3x the growth,

Ok, cool.
I suppose it's partly a result of the greenhouse effect. If the summer is dry & excessively hot, I sometimes wonder if such a greenhouse effect could be a hindrance. I'd be curious to hear others thoughts on that.
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: tree tubes - 01/01/24 05:19 PM

My long experience with tree tubes is some tree species do great in them and some don’t.
Depends on soil, moisture etc too. I’ve found better success by drilling half inch holes here and there in each tube

Re: tree tubes - 01/05/24 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by PAlltheway
I’ve found better success by drilling half inch holes here and there in each tube
I thought about doing that to allow it to vent a little--just be careful the holes are above a mouses level.
Posted By: BeLiSlE330

Re: tree tubes - 01/05/24 04:31 AM

Very smart! Keeps deer and other animals rubbing them or peeling the bark off of them. Nice work! I have done that before!

Re: tree tubes - 01/06/24 03:52 AM

I wonder if mice can climb those white plastic corrugated tree tubes

Re: tree tubes - 01/06/24 11:30 AM

I buy tubes with holes in them I have never had mice in tubes yet

Re: tree tubes - 01/16/24 04:37 AM

https://terratech.net/products/seedling-protection/progro-tubes-36-height-lite/

These tubes say they increase temperature within the tube. Is that really a good thing, considering the hot dry weather many of us have faced the past ~couple years?

Re: tree tubes - 02/03/24 08:19 AM

I buy tubes with holes in them I have never had mice in tubes yet

I can see how the fact that your tubes breathe from the side could be a benefit

Re: tree tubes - 02/28/24 03:10 AM

A problem I have had with tree tubes on occasion is when the tree starts growing above the tube, deer seem to notice it easier, as if the leaves are being served to them on a platter.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: tree tubes - 02/28/24 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by AJE

These tubes say they increase temperature within the tube. Is that really a good thing, considering the hot dry weather many of us have faced the past ~couple years?

Not sure but they're used down here where the avg temp from about April to October is 90 degrees with 90% humidity.

Re: tree tubes - 03/01/24 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by AJE

Not sure but they're used down here where the avg temp from about April to October is 90 degrees with 90% humidity.

Ok. We have decent humidity too, but not that high

Re: tree tubes - 03/01/24 12:49 PM

I have no problem with deer browsing trees in tubes as long as the tubes are 5' tall.

Re: tree tubes - 03/03/24 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Orlando
I have no problem with deer browsing trees in tubes as long as the tubes are 5' tall.

Do you put your new seedings in 5' tubes?

Re: tree tubes - 03/03/24 12:54 PM

yes

Re: tree tubes - 03/08/24 02:24 AM

yes

Ok. Do you ever have issues with critters pushing the tube over?

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Orlando

What kind of post do you use for a 5' tube?
Posted By: Spike369

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 11:31 AM

4 ft Electric fence post

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 11:34 AM

30" rebar driven half way into the ground, then slide a 5' x 1/2" grey pvc tube over that and zip tie the PVC to the tree tube. This lets the tree tube flex in the wind and build stem strength.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 11:49 AM

Here in SE PA I used 1000’s of tubes for silvicuture, riparian buffers etc…. Without them, deer destroy the trees. They do kill bluebirds without the netting on top. I have freed numerous bluebirds and removed enough dead ones. Meadow vole and mice do get under them girdle the bark.
During floods the tubes float down into the Chesapeake Bay, and the MD guys get (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). They work well, but still need maintenance every 60 days during the growing season. Gotta watch the vines like bittersweet climbing up them.

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 12:41 PM

I use rebar cut a 20 piece into 4 pieces
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 01:18 PM

We have stopped using the full length or 5' tree tubes. We found that the seedlings grew fast, but they were spindly or leggy. We now cut down our tubes in to about 18" lengths to put over seedlings to keep the rabbits and other critters from girdleing them. We then put 2" x 4" welded wire fencing about 3' tall and fastened to 2 steel fence posts around the seedings. The fencing is raised up about a foot off the ground, so we can gain a little more height for deer browising protection.

We are not planting as many trees as Trapper Dahlgren, or others have, so our method is more practical for us.

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS
We have stopped using the full length or 5' tree tubes. We found that the seedlings grew fast, but they were spindly or leggy. We now cut down our tubes in to about 18" lengths to put over seedlings to keep the rabbits and other critters from girdleing them. We then put 2" x 4" welded wire fencing about 3' tall and fastened to 2 steel fence posts around the seedings. The fencing is raised up about a foot off the ground, so we can gain a little more height for deer browising protection.

We are not planting as many trees as Trapper Dahlgren, or others have, so our method is more practical for us.

When you end up removing the steel fence post doesn't it damage the roots? Maybe you remove the cross piece at the bottom
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: tree tubes - 04/13/24 06:49 PM

Most of the steel posts we are using don't have the cross pieces on them. We do have some with the cross piece on them, but so far we haven't noticed any problems with the roots growing into or around them. We also try to keep our fencing to about a 3 to 3-1/2' diameter which keeps it away from the seedling pretty good.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: tree tubes - 04/14/24 02:06 AM

I planted my truckload of oaks yesterday and today. Camera caught some action shots. [Linked Image]

There are a few deer around. Should they all be tubed?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: tree tubes - 04/14/24 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
I planted my truckload of oaks yesterday and today. Camera caught some action shots. [Linked Image]

There are a few deer around. Should they all be tubed?
[Linked Image]

only if you want them to grow into a tree.

I have switched to putting welded wire fencing around my trees.
I have pulled the tubes that had trees growing in them for about 4-5 years and haven't amounted to anything yet and replaced the tubes with the wire.
I have planted trees in openings in the woods after a tornado went thru and opened up spots.
Seems to me that when not in full light the tube might be restricting sunlight too much. That plus the leaves that hang on thru the winter that then don't fall down and end up being a block in the tube.
These are White Oak seedlings.

I ended up giving a bunch of used tubes to a guy that was has planted hundred of trees in the Ripon/Green lake area. He also commented on the very low suitability of hardwood trees due to deer..
Claims he planted white cedar and have some that are 25 years old and only 3-4 ft high. The deer heavily prune them every year.

Re: tree tubes - 04/14/24 02:35 PM

I like the idea of some sort of mesh or screen material D.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: tree tubes - 04/15/24 11:10 PM

I don’t need all of them to grow into a tree. Frankly if half survive, I planted way too many. How many per acre do I need to survive to meet the minimum qualifications? I really wish I could do an oak savanna in my MFL plan, but I think they want them thicker than that!

Re: tree tubes - 04/17/24 11:06 PM

I don’t need all of them to grow into a tree. Frankly if half survive, I planted way too many. How many per acre do I need to survive to meet the minimum qualifications? I really wish I could do an oak savanna in my MFL plan, but I think they want them thicker than that!

Perhaps worst case maybe just try some bud capping if you have success problems

Re: tree tubes - 05/19/24 04:57 AM

I think you'll have a good enough survival rate to satisfy you. It sounds like you planted extra, knowing some won't make it, which is smart.
Posted By: Waz

Re: tree tubes - 05/19/24 11:50 AM

So my experience in tree planting some 200 white oak, 25 red oak, 25 scarlet oak, and 25 persimmon on the side of a hill where we couldn't use a tractor for planting was we rented a post hole drill/auger with a 2" bit, bought several bags of top soil, and several 20' sections of fiberglass rebar and I cut those down to 4' sections(wear gloves handling the fiberglass rebar, and expect to go through several blades on your sawzall). Then we drilled holes every 25 feet, put the seedlings in, topped them off with the bagged top soil, and used the natural rocky/clay soil on top. I made a post driver using a 10" piece of black pipe with a cap on one end, and we put a 3' white tree protector over the seedling and then zip tied that to the post we drove in.
The one thing nobody mentioned was looking down the tubes checking on your seedlings, be careful as wasp's luv to build nests inside the tubes, and if the you look in quickly, look out for the guards as they will get ya!!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums