Home

The best compliment you've ever...

Posted By: waggler

The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 05:53 AM

...been given?

I like viewing the thread, Memes of the month. Many of the posts feature "The Far Side".

Even though Gary Larson has not been creating "The Far Side" in years, I still enjoy his humor, as I'm sure many trappers do.
Many years ago, I met his parents while working at our trappers association both at the Western Washington State Fair.

After talking with his folks for a while, his mom said to me; "You think just like our son". That's one of the best compliments I've ever received.
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 07:40 AM

Old proverb.
The only worthy compliment comes from your own worktable!
Roy
Posted By: James

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 07:48 AM

I twice had different opposing counsel, at the conclusion of trial, tell the jury in final argument that they should not base their decision on the skills of the lawyers.

Jim
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 08:02 AM

It's more who comes front when what it is honestly . Have had a few trappers who are so far above me in skill level and knowledge to the point I pm would never have considered them knowing I existed compliment one of my creations or ideas or something I wrote up and really ment the world to me......also kinda scary how some of these folks have feelers out so much that if they wanna chat they can get ahold of you pretty easy lol
Posted By: 160user

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 09:48 AM

On more than one occasion I have had women tell me I wasn't the worst they have had.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 10:17 AM

I know this is going to be hard to believe but…

“Life is better just being around you.”
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
On more than one occasion I have had women tell me I wasn't the worst they have had.

Hahahaha grin
Posted By: jalstat

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 10:50 AM

Thanks for helping me fish today. From dad when he was getting up in years
Posted By: learch

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 10:52 AM

You were a good son to your parents
Posted By: Striperfred

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 11:01 AM

Once had a treehugger refer to a fellow trapper and I as “a blight to wildlife”, I turned to the fellow, acted as though I wiped a tear from my eye and informed him that was the nicest thing anyone ever said to me
Posted By: MD22-250WV

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 11:11 AM

I’ve had a few guys hire me to build them a rifle for a once in a lifetime hunt, as a Gunsmith that’s a good feeling knowing they trust and value your work that much.
On another note, when someone tells me how great my kids are, there’s not much better than that.
Posted By: hippie

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 11:21 AM

I'm not sure if it was a compliment, but its one I remember...

I was taken to jail after doing a "performance" with my car and my parents came to get me since I had a Cinderella license and it was after midnight.

I heard our sheriff tell them that he thought I was nuts! Mom calmly said..."nah Tom, he's just simple".

A compliment??? lol
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by hippie
I'm not sure if it was a compliment, but its one I remember...

I was taken to jail after doing a "performance" with my car and my parents came to get me since I had a Cinderella license and it was after midnight.

I heard our sheriff tell them that he thought I was nuts! Mom calmly said..."nah Tom, he's just simple".

A compliment??? lol

It is if that’s the way you want to take it. lol

I walked up to a couple co-workers that had gone to school as psychologists majors having a discussion, the one looked at me and informed me I was a psychologist’s nightmare. Compliment? I took it as one at the time. lol
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 11:55 AM

The Dr told my parents I was half nuts. I took it as a compliment but my parents seemed upset....

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 11:56 AM

OMG you're huge!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
OMG you're huge!

In reference to your gut, Gary. whistle
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Hahahaha grin

I think we all have been lied to before. I always figured they are lying except for the ones that act like stray cats you feed and won't go away after. Those I tend to believe but it could just be the success and dominant male thing they like. Nothing says I'm loaded and successful like 20 to 30 year old vehicals and work clothes. Grew a beard to be a repellant and that does not work neither does the tattooed wedding ring apparently. Never would have dreamed a woman working at a gas station I said hi to and was just friendly with would wright her # down and tell me to call if I wanted to have some fun. Told her I thanks for the offer but my wife would frown on that.

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 12:33 PM

I rely on my looks and personality to repel women and it seems to work just fine.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 01:11 PM

My wife and I stopped at a local restaurant and were waiting at the bar for a table. Were chatting with the bartender and a lady at the end of the bar looked over and said my name, first and last, I thought uh oh. She gets up comes over gives me a hug, I have no idea who she is at all. My wife is looking at me like who or what to heck is going on, I am dumbfounded.
I grew up about twenty miles from where we now live and I have no idea who this nice-looking lady is. She steps back and states: "You saved my life!" I'm like who are you and then she explains was a foster child (teenager) who lived with an old pastor and his wife for a short time across the road from my childhood home. Apparently and I had no recollection of this, I would on occasion walk home from school with her, talking and listening and I helped her through some bad times when she was going to kill herself.
I certainly didn't realize or know it but what a shock to me and she stated she recognized my voice and eyes.
It was pretty amazing, to hear that, I guess it was the start of my careers helping people I have been in.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 01:20 PM

I have two.

1. A woman teller at the bank looking at me and smiling as my daughter answered all her questions with yes and no ma'am. I felt like I did something right.

2. This one literally took my breath away. In the garden picking salad tomatoes, I explain to my dad how each year my daughter and I decide which little tomato type she wants to grow. As he was eating the fresh tomatoes he looks at me and says, "I wish I would have had a dad like you." A breeze hit me in the face and took all the air from my lungs. That day will remain one of the best days of my life. My dad approved of me as a father.

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 01:58 PM

Some very good stories here!

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
OMG you're huge!

In reference to your gut, Gary. whistle

My gut is as big as my rear. I don't have one. I'm 6'3" and 153#. I can't go out if the wind is blowing. laugh
Posted By: warrior

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 02:41 PM

Retired four star once told me that I would've made a fine command sergeant major.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 02:52 PM

what is a compliment?
Posted By: Boco

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vinke
what is a compliment?

Another definition of "buttering you up"
Posted By: Vinke

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Vinke
what is a compliment?

Another definition of "buttering you up"

only did that onces with a gal in so cal,,,,,,,,Lucky she was a Cornish game hen not a Butterball turkey (compliment to her). But yes a simple pleasure.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 03:16 PM

I just spit some coffee out.Hahahahaaaa
Posted By: Posco

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Most of you guys probably can't relate but I've had a couple of beautiful women profess their love for me. Not the platonic type of love you may or may not be familiar with but the swooning type of love that made them weak in the knees. If I'd have been more in the moment I might have asked for context. I had it goin' on. I wouldn't expect you guys to understand.

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

I will take that as a compliment. smile
Posted By: charles

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/29/23 03:59 PM

The ultimate comment someone can give to to complement another parent's child
Posted By: Wife

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 01:12 AM

2 compliments same ideas..........Years ago when I was struggling, putting myself through college, trying to survive, working 45-50 hours/week and a 12-14 credit load at MSU, I had a terrible boss at work, disliked him immensely and had run in after run in. He was a rear kisser and I ran a small warehouse. One of the assistants told me at a higher up staff meeting that the boss had made the comment that was "disagree or say what you want but mike is always right as much as I hate it". The second one was when I retired from USDA and prior to that the political state leaders were trying to get rid of me because I did not adhere to their policies of using fed resources to benefit their behinds so they could advance in government circles. My Boss at the time (a gal younger than me) told them"that he's the only one who gets the work done !!! so I'm not reprimanding him"! ---------- Two times I smiled at 2 different employments when the Bosses admitted there might be someone less paid who knew something. .........................the mike
Posted By: bleeohio

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 01:52 AM

My bride tells me i'm not just good, but i'm fast.......I hope she's talking about my cooking eek
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 02:04 AM

" it may be short .... but it sure is skinny".

eek blush
Posted By: Starbits

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 03:24 AM

I had finished showing a general (1 star) what we had done to make the Rapid Deployment units ammunition loadout much faster. He asked me if I had PCS (transfer) orders. I replied "Yes Sir". He said do you have orders in hand? "Yes Sir". He replied "S**t ! ", got in his vehicle and drove off.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 04:05 AM

I've been blessed to have received some very nice compliments over the years.

One of my very favorites was this short, simple Facebook message, from the former kid next door, Little Thad, now known as Big Thad, who is 8 years younger than me. I've known him since he was brought out from the car, from the ride home, from being born at the hospital. I got him interested in animals and nature. I frequently showed him what I caught and taught him how to do stuff. He, his parents and my family credit me with saving Thad's life, when a racist, large white guy tried to club him. I stepped in, taking the blow on my shoulder and arm and got the club away from the racist. The racist fled. Thad's dad, Big Thad, caught up with the racist and shattered his jaw with one punch. Big Thad looked like a larger, more muscular George Foreman. Thad's parents gave me a boat and trailer afterwards.

"What's up Keith, we live in Chicago now, I actually am a wilderness guide. You have yourself to thank for that one. What are you doing now? Hope all is well."

I've received much more elaborate compliments, but this one meant a lot more to me.

Thad now has a very successful barbecue restaurant in a Northern suburb of Chicago. He and his team, Boar's Night Out are frequent winners of the World Champion Barbecue competition, in many categories and have been the grand champs for the event.

Keith
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Posco

Most of you guys probably can't relate but I've had a couple of beautiful women profess their love for me. Not the platonic type of love you may or may not be familiar with but the swooning type of love that made them weak in the knees. If I'd have been more in the moment I might have asked for context. I had it goin' on. I wouldn't expect you guys to understand.

Thanks Posco. For the longest time I thought that I was alone out there in the world with the curse of which you speak.
I'm not 25 anymore. I am well into my thirties and have been for over 25 years, but I still have trouble keeping them off me.
I got married 37 years ago to the girl of my dreams. That's my go-to escape hatch.
I can't help but wonder how many more women I could have disappointed in all of those years.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 10:38 AM

We had a young couple move in next door several years ago, they had a little boy named Kole. Well me and Kole hit it off pretty good he was always coming over to help me in the shop or whatever else I was doing. Pretty soon it was uncle Joe, his parents didn't mind so that's who I became lol. Kole developed cancer at 5yrs of age and passed at 6. At his funeral his Dad spoke about how he liked to go to uncle Joe's and build things ( I didn't handle that to well). Anyway Kole's Grandma called me about a week later and thanked me for letting Kole hang out with me and said I was a man amongst men. Sure did like that little dude
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl

Thanks Posco. For the longest time I thought that I was alone out there in the world with the curse of which you speak.
I'm not 25 anymore. I am well into my thirties and have been for over 25 years, but I still have trouble keeping them off me.
I got married 37 years ago to the girl of my dreams. That's my go-to escape hatch.
I can't help but wonder how many more women I could have disappointed in all of those years.

Ya caral I told my wife she was pretty stingy not only to all the other ladies but to the world taking me off the market. If I made more children to Cary my genes the world would be a better place and a lot of wemon could look back and smile remembering the best times in their life.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 02:03 PM

"You're dumb and ugly. Well that's too harsh, I guess you're not all that dumb."
Posted By: k snow

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 02:10 PM

After helping me move in to my new to me house I am in now, my dad was standing on the deck, looking out over the yard, creek and the woods past it. He simply said, "Your grandpa would be proud."
Posted By: slydogx

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 02:20 PM

"That was, hands down, the best steak I've ever eaten." - Wife's nephew after eating a NY strip I cooked. My SIL bought 18 real nice steaks and volunteered me to BBQ for the family LOL.
Posted By: doublesettrigger

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 03:36 PM

Never use this one, "You don't sweat much for a fat girl".

Rickey
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 04:10 PM

my Grandfather on my best trapping year on foxes came down the cellar to watch me put up some foxes. As he watched and critiqued LOL he asked how many I said 75, he said "Your Dad and I never caught that many." He sighed deeply and looked out the small window at the blowing snow and turned to me, "You could write a book with you methods" he said, then went back upstairs. I am glad he did as I had tears in my eyes. I don't recall Pop ever giving anyone a compliment, and I could tell he meant it.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 04:19 PM

"You raised a great kid."
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 04:42 PM

A number of yrs ago my Wifes oldest son and I were hunting. We were talking about Dads. Now Gabe was 4 yrs old when his Dad was killed in a construction accident. So he does not remember his dad at all. And growning up he never had a father figure to teach him and just do dad stuff. Gabe was 23 when his Mom and I got together. Shortly after we got married I made sure the boys go there hunter Ed card so they could go hunting. When we were talking about dads I said I'm sure you would give anything to have your dad back in your life. He turned to me and said. No, then I wouldn't have you in my life. It was the best compliment I have ever had.
Posted By: Philip Stancel

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 04:52 PM

Been said about me "you're not as dumb as you look", of course I talk to myself a lot.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 05:02 PM

Been called old fashioned and an old soul in a derogatory manner many times. I took it as a compliment. Most often in regards to my preaching, child rearing, or outdoors activities.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 06:01 PM

My wife and I been told many times how well behaved and what great workers our 2 boys are. I tell them only with the help of God. They are 23 and 27.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 06:11 PM

I was headed out the door to go run some errands when my wife asked where I was going. I joked, "going to go chase women for a while."

She said, "If they knew what I know, they wouldn't run."
Posted By: teepee2

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 06:12 PM

My 8yr old grand daughter said to me. "You'er the greatest."
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 07:55 PM

My son, now 45 loves to bow hunt for deer on my 25 acres. Last night he hit his mark and got a nice 6 point buck.

He didn't go very far and was done. I commented on the good kill he made and that my dad, his grandpa would be proud of his accomplishment.

Not long after we were in the house cleaning up. My son was talking about things.

He all of a sudden says,"yah if Grandpa is looking up, he probably has smile on his face"! I looked at him, "WHAT"? He laughed.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 09:14 PM

My Mom once said maybe I should pastor her church and she was serious. I'm no public speaker, but I was just amazed that she thought i was a good enough person to be their pastor.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 09:52 PM

[quote=upstateNY][quote=160user]On more than one occasion I have had women tell me I wasn't the worst they have had.[/quote

Your right again
Posted By: SJA

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 10:16 PM

"Your reputation precedes you". . . it's a subjective point of view. . . of course. grin
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 11:25 PM

I love you Dad and I love you Puppa (Granddaughter can’t say Papa)

Not sure if those are compliments, but to me, it’s the best thing a man can hear in my opinion.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: The best compliment you've ever... - 10/30/23 11:37 PM

From my son the day he left for The USAF. Thanks for pushing me all these years dad. The grey and hair loss prior to that paid off. He has served going on 8 years. Proud Dad for sure.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums