Home

••• Louis l’Amour fans•••?

Posted By: the Blak Spot

••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/09/23 11:06 PM

Just wondering who on here is a big Louis l’Amour book fan?
Posted By: nightlife

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/09/23 11:12 PM

I am have been since I was a kid and would wait impatiently for his next book to come out
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/09/23 11:15 PM

Bringing up some bad memories…
I had every book he’d ever written before the military and somehow they were thrown out at my parents house during the Flood of ‘94. I still have some books I bought since then though and will probably spend some retirement money someday to buy the entire collection just to have for my kids to keep up with when I’m gone, lol.

I loved his writing and books.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/09/23 11:23 PM

Yes and I had boxes of them among other western. But whan I mover out from moms and the few other moves thay all vanished. I did like his last of the breed a different style of book for him.. if I ever take time to build my floor to celling book shelf by the fire place there will be room for more.

I had a few duplicates. They would update the cover so I would think it was a new book and buy it only to have it already. But in high-school I would read 3 or 4 books a week so was easy to loose track of titles.
Posted By: Bass1

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/09/23 11:29 PM

Louis Lamour and Zane Grey
Posted By: yousowise

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/09/23 11:49 PM

I didn’t own the books, but read every one the local and school libraries had.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/09/23 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by yousowise
I didn’t own the books, but read every one the local and school libraries had.

Have you read his autobiography?
Interesting life.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:05 AM

My name is Chancey. I was named after a Louis Lamour Book.

My mom, the English teacher did not like the spelling so she put an E in the name.

I grew up reading his books as my dad was a huge fan, and think he is one of America's greatest authors. I try to read his memoir every 2-3 years. One of the goals in my life was to read every book he mentioned in his "Education of a Wandering Man" I have so far failed miserably in that task.

Did a senior research paper in highschool over the "Last of the Breed". Loved the "Haunted Mesa" and all the Sackets. I really, really like his short stories.
Posted By: James

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:06 AM

I met the guy once when he guest appeared in a poetry writing course at Ohio State around 1977. Never knew he wrote poetry, but there he was.

Used to read every one of his books I could get my hands on in junior high and high school.

Jim
Posted By: Wiregrass

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:07 AM

Big fan here. Really liked the Sacketts series. Still have all of his books.

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by James
I met the guy once when he guest appeared in a poetry writing course at Ohio State around 1977. Never knew he wrote poetry, but there he was.

Used to read every one of his books I could get my hands on in junior high and high school.

Jim

That's awesome James! I can't imagine what it would be like to share a cup of coffee or a beer over a campfire with him.

He was quite the writer and researched heavily. His memoir is just WOW!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:11 AM

I have his whole collection in leather bound books. Found them in a gun store for sale for like 3 or 4 hundred dollars. Had already read most all of them by that time. His novel " Walking Drum" 8s probably my favorite. Wasn't a western but a great book.
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:13 AM

I have way over half, some even hardcover. Sacketts are my favorite. Any one read The walking drum? Thats a real good one.

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:23 AM

Thanks Yes sir and ozark trapper!

I have never read that one. Going to order it, thanks for the recommendation.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:27 AM

It's a long read but it's great.
Chancey I always thought of LL whenever u posted. Glad to hear that's where your name came from
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 12:33 AM

I'm a fan. I've read most of his books. Bought and sold a ton of western novels over the years.
Posted By: blackoak

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 01:01 AM

Mr L'Amour is my favorite author. All of his works are clean family entertainment. I have learned so much about life by reading his works. I hated reading classes in school until I read one of his books. I am 59 years old and still love reading his books and I have read them all many times. Reading his books made me a better man.
Posted By: Starbits

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 01:19 AM

One of my favorite quotes:

"Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum
Posted By: DRF

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 01:23 AM

I have his entire collection of paperbacks. I believe 101 or something books
Posted By: Wptourist

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 01:45 AM

Love the Sacketts, middle name of my oldest is William, my daughter is Emma and call her ‘Em last dog is named Milo

He was a great writer
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 01:47 AM

I had and sold the Leatherbound collection in the 90's
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 02:10 AM

Have read everything he wrote...multiple times.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 02:17 AM

I have pretty well every book he's written
Posted By: gman

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 02:49 AM

I think I have every one of his books. Might be missing one or two but that would be it. Great books!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 03:02 AM

Never have read one but my brother in law was a huge fan of his. To be fair I haven't read more than a dozen books in my life. I just can't keep my mind from wandering. I'll read 10 pages and then not even remember I was reading, lol.
Posted By: Osky

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I had and sold the Leatherbound collection in the 90's

Still have that leather bound collection boxed up around here somewhere.

Osky

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 03:30 AM

I reckon “ride the dark trail” and “mustang man” and “ride the river” are probably my favorites. Daughter named her oldest boy Jubal. She has all my paperbacks.
My wife found these at an antique store.

Attached picture DCA8A34F-02F7-4C0D-BE7D-15E27BD4A0E6.jpeg
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 03:53 AM

Louis L'Amour web site has a lot of interesting information- https://www.louislamour.com/
Posted By: snowy

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 03:55 AM

Ohh Yeah, I read alot of them and I had about 125 of his books and have them away. I still have some hard copies though. I couldn't get enough of his books.
Posted By: Savell

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 03:58 AM

.. got a little stack of them … my oldest boy is reading them now
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 04:56 AM

I have all his books in paperback. Re-read them every few years. It’s about that time.

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 05:02 AM

LL was incredible. Not only could he tell a heck of a story, but he also put so much truth in them that there was much to learn and gain from his writings.
LL is a True American treasure.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 09:21 AM

I'm pretty sure I've read all of his books and have worn many of them out when I was younger. I've started to replace those old ones.
Posted By: mole

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 09:39 AM

Ride the Dark Trail
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 11:21 AM

Black Spot I have that set also. Someone gave me the set as a christmas gift years ago. Treasure Mountain has always been my favorite LL book.

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 11:50 AM

I remember when he died, my Dad was little upset because there were stories of people that LL wrote about that had gaps in their timeline that LL said he would was going to write about(Tell Sacketts civil war time). Also people he mentioned only briefly that he wanted to write about (like Mordecai, Trulove, or Emily Sackett). Or how did Finian, Dorian, Ronan, Owen, and Clive Chantry fit in the lineage of Tatton Chantry(Fair blows the Wind)?
Now there’s only speculation.

If you like the Sacketts, there’s a book called “the Sackett Companion” that is worth getting. Has a family tree in it.

First one I ever read was “Hondo”, love the book and the movie.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 03:54 PM

I think I have read and own everything he wrote. After he died there were several that came out that were from his magazine writings. Think I got them all but not positive.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 04:24 PM

I read most of them forty years ago
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 04:59 PM

I’ve read a lot of them, one of my favorite authors

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 05:24 PM

This is an extra copy I have. Three books in one. Anyone interested in having it?

Attached picture 2FBBCD88-E170-46EF-A6B5-45B40505F6DE.jpeg
Posted By: eric space

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 05:43 PM

Crossfire Trail was on Grit TV over the weekend. Starred Tom Selleck, beautiful background scenery.
Posted By: riverratdm

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Never have read one but my brother in law was a huge fan of his. To be fair I haven't read more than a dozen books in my life. I just can't keep my mind from wandering. I'll read 10 pages and then not even remember I was reading, lol.

I use audable and listen to it like the radio on trips or while working. Sacketts are a must. Got a grandson named Owen.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: ••• Louis l’Amour fans•••? - 11/10/23 07:04 PM

Pretty sure I have all of them in paperback, wish they were the leatherette set, Hard to pic a favorite, but I'll go with "The Last Mountain Man", He died in the middle of the 2nd book, and his kids were supposed to finish it, but I've never heard of it being done.

Also a big fan of Frank Roderus and Elmer Kelton.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums