Home

douglas rifle barrels

Posted By: sako22

douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 01:49 PM

Kicking around the idea of having a winchester model 70 carbine 30-06 rebarrelled to a 25-06. Looking at douglas barrells as they are fairly close to me. Anybody have any input on these barrells good or bad. Thanks in advance
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 03:00 PM

I just got one for a 20BR on a Howa action, l have used their barrels for years and have had nothing but good results. Before that I got a 300 WSM for a 700 Rem action.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 03:25 PM

I have a 25" stainless steel Douglas barrel on my t.20
It is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned
A barrel, gun maker in town said about one out of three were good, but then he probably want people to buy his barrels

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 03:29 PM

thank you. The rifle the way it is shoots pretty good but the recoil is very bad in that lightweight rifle and my papaw always said if he deer hunted he would have a 25-06 so i will kind of be killing 2 birds with one stone. I have read good things about douglas but wanted to confirm here with trusted first hand experiences
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 03:42 PM

I never used a douglas barrel but they been around awhile. must be doing something right. 25-06 does not have a lot of recoil. Less than a 12 gauge field load. If it does bother you these add weight but decrease felt recoil pretty good.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/recoil-pads-reducers/standard-stock-recoil-suppressor/

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 03:52 PM

thanks danny. I am not recoil sensitive but that rifle is brutal to shoot off the bench and is no joy to shoot and i have wanted a 25-06 for a long time
Posted By: BeLiSlE330

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I never used a douglas barrel but they been around awhile. must be doing something right. 25-06 does not have a lot of recoil. Less than a 12 gauge field load. If it does bother you these add weight but decrease felt recoil pretty good.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/recoil-pads-reducers/standard-stock-recoil-suppressor/

I haven't tried them either.

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 03:58 PM

All together we have used close to 20 barrels over the years for custom builds, never a bad barrel blank from them.

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 04:08 PM

Thank you flipper. Trying to decide whether to stay with a featherweight or go to a regular sized sporter with maybe a slightly heavier contour barrel
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 04:22 PM

My barrel is .80" at the muzzle
Posted By: cmcf

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 04:44 PM

Douglas barrels are good stuff. I’ve built serval rifles using their barrels and never had a bad one. As far as contours are concerned, how much work do you want to do on the barrel channel? I would recommend a number three contour with number four being a heavy sporter. Since you’re having the action re-barreled, you might as well have it glass bedded and freefloated. You might also ask Douglas if they have any recommended gunsmiths to do the fitting and chambering of your new barrel.

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 04:56 PM

You can send your action to them, and they will chamber it and fit it to your action if you don't have someone to do it for you.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 04:59 PM

It would depend on the barrel you want, I think and could be wrong but I think Douglas barrels are button rifled, and like Bartlien, rockcreek, Shilen are cut rifled. Cut rifling uses less stress in the process.

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 05:22 PM

from what i read on their site they will do it all in house as far as fitting to the action and stuff. I f i go the heavier contour sporter route i will find another stock to use
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 05:49 PM

A sporter barrel recoil isn't bad ,if your gonna hunt with it a sporter is probably the way to go less weight to hump around.

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/04/24 07:07 PM

recoil is not the reason for the build. It's just simply a rifle that doesn't get used and would make a good donor action for a build in caliber that i've never had but have wanted. The weight won't be much of an issue either for the type of hunting i do.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/05/24 12:36 PM

Good choice on the caliber.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/05/24 01:15 PM

Put a .308 Douglas barrel on HS Precision stocked Remington 700 back in the '80s and shot the crap out if it at Silhouettes. Shot great!

Also had good results with Kreiger, Hart, and Bartlein barrels.
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/05/24 08:44 PM

If you go with Douglas take the gun to them. I took them my 17/223 and got a tour of the shop. Really amazing. I was standing next to the guy that did the rifling. Cant imagine the pressure it takes to "form" rifling. Looks like it was built in the 50's or 60's.
Posted By: Jmack

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/06/24 02:56 AM

I have had 2 rifles built with their barrels and have nothing but good things to say about them. Kicking around the idea of one more build coming up in the future. Good choice on the caliber also. One of the furthest shots I have ever seen was with the 25-06. Dumped a good mule deer buck with one shot and it didn't go 10 yards.
Posted By: longrangekilla

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/07/24 01:57 PM

I did a rem 700 in 2506 with a douglas number 9 contour. It shoots literally one hole with both of the loads i have put together for it. Started with a nosler ballistic tip, currently shooring a berger vld.

Highly recommend them
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/07/24 02:45 PM

I cant tell any difference in my 257-06 and my 277-06. Have not shot any game with the 257 but near identical on paper shooting 117 grains in the 257 and 130 grains in the 277.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: douglas rifle barrels - 01/07/24 09:13 PM

My beef about douglas last time I checked, you can buy a barrel, or a match grade barrel, or an air guaged match barrel and they all are differently priced. deal with most other makers, they make a barrel or it goes in the scrap pile. the price should not reflect poor workmanship or sub par materials. check out lilja , kreiger, bartlein.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums