Home

Tree and shrub thinking time

Posted By: Jkme

Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 02:29 AM

I'm always looking for a diversity of shrubs and trees on my place that will feed wildlife and myself. Currently I have elderberry, chokecherry, Aronia berry, service berry, grey dogwood, hawthorn, viburnum, and snow berries. I have about 25 red maples and 4 birch. I have a diversity of conifers and a bunch of fruit trees. Anyone have any good recommendations of trees and shrubs to plant that you see benefit wildlife or have value to you.
Posted By: aknome

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 02:37 AM

Oak
Hackberry
Black Cherry
Posted By: Guthrie

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 03:46 AM

Need good nut production trees like oak and hickory
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:11 AM

American Plum
Posted By: AJE

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2poor
American Plum

X2
Posted By: 160user

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:13 AM

Domestic apples. I can look up the Latin name if you need it.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by 160user

Chief River Nursery has a good 1.
Posted By: John Carter

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:22 AM

Hazelnut & Honeyberry

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by 160user

Chief River Nursery has a good 1.

Yes they do! I found another WI supplier that is far cheaper but I haven't seen the trees yet to speak to the quality but I ordered another 100 to try.
Posted By: BeLiSlE330

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:26 AM

Plum, Crab apple, and Apple trees are the best. Wink Wink, add in some corn stocks near them! Then it is legal to hunt that area.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 02:59 PM

What are you going to do with Hawthorne? They're invasive, have massive thorns that have will make you swell and very sore if you're poked by them. I try to kill every one but they grow faster than I can cut and spray.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 04:56 PM

Planted about 30 apples and 10 pears a month ago and have 20 more apples coming. This is in and around oak hickory forest
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 06:05 PM

Hazel nuts an chinkapin chestnuts.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/05/24 06:12 PM

hackberry should do well and they grow well also....plenty in the woods round here

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/06/24 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
What are you going to do with Hawthorne? They're invasive, have massive thorns that have will make you swell and very sore if you're poked by them. I try to kill every one but they grow faster than I can cut and spray.

I planted 4 in my shrub line. Maybe I should rethink them. They are washington hawthorn, I can replace with something else.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/06/24 12:17 AM

Anyone have luck with gambel oaks. The nrd sells them for this area and might pick some up
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/06/24 12:31 AM

Persimmon for the wildlife, if they will grow there.

I hear people eat those as well.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/06/24 12:39 AM

I like the hazelnut and wild American plums, however here the last few years the plums haven’t done anything as the freeze when in bloom and they don’t have any fruit on them.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/06/24 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jkme

I planted 4 in my shrub line. Maybe I should rethink them. They are washington hawthorn, I can replace with something else.

Just be careful with them when handling. You don't want to get poked. If you intend to use the berries, keep them. The birds with distribute the seeds far and wide. Otherwise get rid of them.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/17/24 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I like the hazelnut and wild American plums, however here the last few years the plums haven’t done anything as the freeze when in bloom and they don’t have any fruit on them.

Are plums challenging to grow?
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/17/24 01:55 PM

Plant thornless Hawthorne varieties!

Crabapples like Red splendor have persistent fruit that doesn’t drop. I had a Robin eating fruit at -20 yesterday. Cedar Wax wings hit the tree weeks ago.

Kerr apples for deer. Check out Blue Hill Nursery for apple trees for wildlife.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/17/24 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa

Very prolific here, grows thick almost like buckthorn if conditions are right, nice little trees, highly recommended.
Posted By: Cheever

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/17/24 02:33 PM

North forty apples, in Michigan. Started taking orders on the 15th,might have some left.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/18/24 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cheever
North forty apples, in Michigan. Started taking orders on the 15th,might have some left.

Interesting website, thanks. I'd never heard of them. Too bad they require buying package/minimum quantities.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/18/24 04:22 PM

DO NOT PLANT CALLERY PEARS! Or whatever name the nursery's are using to fool folks. Crab apples make good people/wildlife feed and make good shelter. Always good to plant common local fruit/nut trees.
Posted By: charles

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/18/24 04:33 PM

Pear and sawtooth oak.
Posted By: 30-06 Trapper

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/18/24 06:29 PM

pear tree
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/18/24 06:52 PM

Wild plums, wild apples, domestic apples, crabapples, persimmons, pears, hazelnuts, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/19/24 02:09 AM

Some probably like the way plums can root sprout and create thicker wildlife cover
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/20/24 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
DO NOT PLANT CALLERY PEARS! Or whatever name the nursery's are using to fool folks.

Correct!
Pyrus calleryana, or the Callery pear, is a species of pear tree native to China and Vietnam, in the family Rosaceae. It is most commonly known for its cultivar 'Bradford' and its offensive odor, widely planted throughout the United States and increasingly regarded as an invasive species.

I don’t think this tree is sold in nurseries anymore.

Lots of good pear trees to plant.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/26/24 02:31 AM

I'm always looking for a diversity of shrubs and trees on my place that will feed wildlife and myself. Currently I have elderberry, chokecherry, Aronia berry, service berry, grey dogwood, hawthorn, viburnum, and snow berries. I have about 25 red maples and 4 birch. I have a diversity of conifers and a bunch of fruit trees. Anyone have any good recommendations of trees and shrubs to plant that you see benefit wildlife or have value to you.

Great post, thanks. I too am trying to learn more about wildlife shrubs. For whatever it's worth, here's the list of wildlife shrubs WisDNR sells. The forester told me all of these on the list work for deer. I should add that Amercan Plum was also on the list, but didn't fit in my screenshot

[Linked Image]

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 06:25 AM

White cedar is great for deer.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by AJE

Very prolific here, grows thick almost like buckthorn if conditions are right, nice little trees, highly recommended.
I suppose it's hard to get them to grow without the deer eating them. I wonder how they do in the shade

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Crab apples make good people/wildlife feed and make good shelter. Always good to plant common local fruit/nut trees.

I have never seen people eat crab apples, but have wondered how they would be.
Posted By: keets

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

What I can't seem to find, is if I cut down tag alders, can I plant white cedar with success?
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by keets
Originally Posted by AJE

What I can't seem to find, is if I cut down tag alders, can I plant white cedar with success?

Too early for me to declare success but I planted Alder shear #1 with red osier dogwood and Alder shear #2 with white cedar and balsam fir. I didn't select cedar for the browse content just thermal break eventually, the browse line is set at the highest snow fall year and on cedar is typically unreachable. My objective with #2 was to create buck bedding areas away from the doe groups that bed closer to the Aspen clear cut shown and food plot shown in corn this year. After shearing the Alder you'll see natural openings to dump in trees and shrubs that thrive in a moist habitat.
[Linked Image]

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 07:36 PM

Are there any downsides to high bush cranberry & are they good to plant for deer?

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Are there any downsides to high bush cranberry & are they good to plant for deer?

I have planted a few and also have some growing wild. I have never seen the deer eat them but the grouse LOVE them and they hold berries fairly late into the winter.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 01/31/24 09:39 PM

I have them but not sure- as 160 said supposed to be grouse candy… I thought it was a member of the viburnum family

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/01/24 02:09 AM

ttt... thx Eagleeye for the input...I'm hoping to be ontp something by cutting 1/4 acre of tag alder and replanting cedar for bedding areas..just don't know if the cedar will like that soil or not... there is 1 forester I do beaver control work for that could answer this, but I hate to bother him for free info..although I could possibly hire him for alder shearing? maybe

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/01/24 04:43 AM

Wildlife shrubs are an interesting concept. I've planted tons of trees for decades but never a wildlife shrub
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/01/24 09:51 AM

I'm ordering burr oaks, this spring, 50, of them.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/01/24 10:32 AM

Planted some around my house a few yrs ago. I forgot the name but the second winter snow hit and the deer ate them to nothing. the tracks told the story..no more shrubs

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/01/24 12:34 PM

ttt... thx Eagleeye for the input...I'm hoping to be ontp something by cutting 1/4 acre of tag alder and replanting cedar for bedding areas.just don't know if the cedar will like that soil or not... there is 1 forester I do beaver control work for that could answer this, but I hate to bother him for free info..although I could possibly hire him for alder shearing? maybe

I can't take credit for this but tamarack is another good option, I was in here last week and won't be back in until next winter, it's a tamarack island with an elevation change of about 2' surrounded by alder shear #3. With the mild winter and no yarding, you can see some preferred seasonal bedding areas. Single beds and a series of rubs exiting the bedding gives some good insights. This winter is not conducive to shearing but I actually prefer to have my shearing done with a CAT vs, forestry mulcher on a Skid Steer- the CAT is just as effective and floats a larger footprint- I've done both and the results are the same. Cedar is a good choice and tamarack seems to perform better with longer periods of standing water. Good Luck.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/01/24 12:39 PM

Lots of great options. In Eastern Nebraska we don't have white cedars. I ordered a bunch last year and added them to my place. It'll be interesting how the turn out

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/03/24 08:15 AM

Lots of great options. In Eastern Nebraska we don't have white cedars. I ordered a bunch last year and added them to my place. It'll be interesting how the turn out

Sounds good. The deer will like you.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/03/24 01:13 PM

I might try propagating some shrubs with cuttings. I've got a pretty good collection around here and have been researching it. I bought myself some rooting hormone that should be here in a week. I have access to a heated greenhouse so if I can get an early start. Might try plum, cedar, and chokecherry. I don't know how well they propagate but I guess I'll find out.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/28/24 02:53 AM

I might try propagating some shrubs with cuttings. I've got a pretty good collection around here and have been researching it. I bought myself some rooting hormone that should be here in a week. I have access to a heated greenhouse so if I can get an early start. Might try plum, cedar, and chokecherry. I don't know how well they propagate but I guess I'll find out.

Supposedely red osier dogwood can be propogated from cuttings. My friend offered me some so I'll try it soon.

I ordered 50 white cedar but given how much deer supposedly like them, I'm not sure if I should plant them in a thicket or spread them over my 90 acres

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/28/24 11:26 AM

I guess you can stick the dogwood straight into the ground with success. I've got a couple of them coming the spring
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 02/28/24 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by AJE

I ordered 50 white cedar but given how much deer supposedly like them, I'm not sure if I should plant them in a thicket or spread them over my 90 acres

at the last place I lived (se WI) I planted 500 White Pine and 1500 Withe Cedar. I planted them in thickets on about 2 acre area. The deer never bothered either one. This was farm country so they had lots of other options I suppose.
The deer did like bedding in the cedars when they became large enough to completely shade the area.

I moved about 20 miles, planted some White pine there, the deer nipped the tops off of all of them. What deer will eat seems to change very dramatically even in a short distance.

I ordered some more White Oak to plant in openings in the woods, I will cage them due to deer tho.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 03/03/24 05:36 AM

Good choice w/ white oak D. I plant white oak acorns.

This year I ordered 50 bur oak seedlings to try.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 03/07/24 01:19 AM

With this odd weather, we might have to think about planting trees earlier this year. I guess it mostly depends on when the nurseries ship.

Last year when I planted my 1st tree of the year, a fruit tree, there was still snow on the ground.

1 exteme to the other.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 03/07/24 02:06 AM

I ordered 100 white cedar, and 100 red osier dogwood to plant ...he said april delivery, yellow river nursery by Marshfield

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 03/07/24 03:03 AM

I ordered 100 white cedar, and 100 red osier dogwood to plant ...he said april delivery, yellow river nursery by Marshfield

Cool. I have some of each of those coming too, for the 1st time ever, but from a different nursery. My land is barely more than 1 hour from Marshfield, but I am unaware of that nursery.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 04/04/24 02:26 AM

I wish WDNR sold wildlife shrub variety packages

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 04/17/24 11:00 PM

This year I ordered trees from WDNR. They seemed more vigorous than trees from private nursery. Perhaps best was they arrived so early & the state keeps them refrigerated even in transit.

Re: Tree and shrub thinking time - 05/02/24 02:45 AM

The other day I found something cool on my property. Serviceberries. I looked them up online and the DNR sells them as a wildlife shrub otherwise known as Juneberry. It looks neat, at least now when it is flowering.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums