Home

B1 plane crashed in Rapid City

Posted By: Law Dog

B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 02:05 PM

It crashed on the base during training all 4 crew members ejected safely.
Posted By: jk

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 02:09 PM

I think that half the fleet is gone, one way or the other. They are an impressive expensive huge machine and I have never seen one.....jk

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 02:16 PM

They do touch and goes for practice they are impress flying over the Interstate they have the new planes or will be getting them out in Rapid also.
Posted By: Guss

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 02:56 PM

They better get these plans ready to many people want to fight the US.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:01 PM

Seems like every other night we have helicopters flying over our place. We have a military base about 50 miles from us. Have never had this happen in the past like this.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:03 PM

Same here. The base is about 5 miles away. Chinooks flying every direction some nights. What's the deal?
Posted By: Old coy

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:05 PM

Bad news, but glad the crew got out. Is the base at Rapid City still a hub for the B52s?

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Old coy
Bad news, but glad the crew got out. Is the base at Rapid City still a hub for the B52s?

Not sure if they were phased out or not yet, know the new ones will be there they said.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:21 PM

Dang close call

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:31 PM

When I was a youngster we’d go by the base on hwy44 and you could see the line up of tail sections of the b52s. They are big planes also!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:34 PM

Nephew flew the BUFF B52's for many years while he was in the Air Force. Those fellas had to sit in a shoe box to fly those things. You would think as big as they are they would have better seating accommodations.
Posted By: K52

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:40 PM

Some years back I was working at a National cemetery in Fort Scott,Kansas. There was a B1 fly over one day, they made a pass over the cemetery and banked around and came back over. Right over the cemetery they hit the afterburners, talk about impressive! Hard to believe a plane that large could be gone that fast. I'll bet they were back to Wichita before the smoke cleared. I'll never forget that.

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:41 PM

Bob, that’s for sure! Seems like most military vehicles are pretty utilitarian in the seating!
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:48 PM

B-1s at Ellsworth and Dyess
B-2s at Whiteman
B-52s at Minot and Barksdale

B-1s slated to be mothballed and replaced with B-21s within a few years. We have done most of the legal stuff for bringing the B-21s here to Whiteman to co-exist with B-2. But yes, Ellsworth and Dyess will receive the B-21s first.
Guessing if anything like here a year ago - B-1s will be grounded a few months for investigation. We had 2, B-2s have "incidents" in the last 2 years here with landing gear collapsing or failing
Posted By: BeLiSlE330

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:51 PM

Oh no. Hope everyone is safe!
Posted By: jalstat

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:52 PM

Another air disaster episode, thank god the crew is safe
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by K52
Some years back I was working at a National cemetery in Fort Scott,Kansas. There was a B1 fly over one day, they made a pass over the cemetery and banked around and came back over. Right over the cemetery they hit the afterburners, talk about impressive! Hard to believe a plane that large could be gone that fast. I'll bet they were back to Wichita before the smoke cleared. I'll never forget that.

I watched our old OG commander come back to Whiteman from Barksdale. He made General and was flying back in a B-52. I never knew how agile and tight a circle one of those could fly........it was impressive and the entire time it looked like that aircraft would fall apart.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Seems like every other night we have helicopters flying over our place. We have a military base about 50 miles from us. Have never had this happen in the past like this.

Us too ...out of PineCity
Posted By: BigBob

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Nephew flew the BUFF B52's for many years while he was in the Air Force. Those fellas had to sit in a shoe box to fly those things. You would think as big as they are they would have better seating accommodations.

Those seats have to be small/compact to aid in ejecting in an emergency.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/05/24 11:59 PM

Seemed out dated to me like a sitting duck in the sky when we can shoot missile out of the air. Seems like rockets and missiles would be much more efficient and effective.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: B1 plane crashed in Rapid City - 01/06/24 02:00 PM

I trapped on a couple ranches in se. MT years ago, about a year later a bomber crashed on one ranch and parts flew onto one I trapped on.
Thane T. Was ranchers name, the grass started on fire and ranchers had to put it outthink a couple guys died
© 2024 Trapperman Forums