Home

Unlucky Beaver

Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 08:33 PM

Setting up a beaver job today. Landowners says that he built and installed a heavy grate at the state highway culvert to keep beavers from plugging up under highway (state DOT not very responsive to beaver problems at their culverts.)

So, I drive to culvert to take a look and discover an unlucky beaver...that was travelling upstream. Beaver came thru culvert, under highway, and tried to get thru the grate...got stuck and checked out. But, he dislodged that heavy grate b4 he died.

The hips don't lie...lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 160user

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 08:35 PM

I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that before.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 08:36 PM

What are those, like 4" square openings? That beaver was determined to get through.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
What are those, like 4" square openings? That beaver was determined to get through.

I believe the squares are 6x6. That beaver is a biggun.

That's 5/8" rebar.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 08:38 PM

That is something odd for sure.
Wont see that every day.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 08:44 PM

Here is the quagmire swamp that beaver was trying to get to....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Guss

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 09:43 PM

It sure is green.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 09:50 PM

Never seen anything like that either. So that beaver got half its body into the 6X6" square? Wow. Must figure since he's a rodent whatever he can get his head through the rest of the body can follow.

Always nice to see the country others trap via photos. Thanks!
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 09:50 PM

Guess it wouldn't have been conibear (square) shy
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:07 PM

Grates or bars just j
help a beaver START Building

that beav. won't do that again
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:25 PM

6" x 6". That's sure to start a heated 220's for beaver post.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
It sure is green.

Mostly thick duck weed.

Hides cottonmouths and gators real good....and water depth amd submerged logs. All 4 are things that could mess up a good day in the beaver swamp.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Grates or bars just j

Yes..but then they can't pull all that mess into the culverts. And they won't do it from the downstream end of the culvert. Ever tried to clean a plugged culvert that was plugged 30' up in the pipe...from either end?

Much easier to lift grate and let current blow it out...then put grate back.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Grates or bars just j

Yes..but then they can't pull all that mess into the culverts. Ever tried to clean a plugged culvert that was plugged 30' up in the pipe...from either end?

Much easier to lift grate and let current blow it out...put grate back.

Exactly correct.
What used to bug me is rr workers would pull the grate before the water had come up to near the top of the culvert and the crap wouls wash inside and not flush thru,then half the time they would not replace the grate and the beaver would plug inside.Big culvert not too much of a problem,the small ones were anther story altogether when that happens.
A beaver fence is easier to maintain than the grate,Hard to pull a grate when water is high,lots of pressure.The fences we used had bars that could be pulled one at a time until all were out and the crap flushed thru.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Never seen anything like that either. So that beaver got half its body into the 6X6" square? Wow. Must figure since he's a rodent whatever he can get his head through the rest of the body can follow.

Always nice to see the country others trap via photos. Thanks!

I think the beaver got that far thru but it's hips were a no-go....and there was nothing he could grab ahold of out front....stuck! And couldn't back up. Weight of grate held his head under.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:57 PM

Landowner uses a backhoe to lift this grate amd put back in place.

To clean out plugged pipes, we've had to get a straight log or power pole, chain it to backhoe bucket, and push out pipe with a horizontal plunging action. Takes a little work.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:57 PM

Looks like a gman set lol
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 10:58 PM

And what gravy water to read.....
But I am guessing me toes would get worse
Posted By: Guss

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/10/24 11:04 PM

I think the beaver should of lost weight first before
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/11/24 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Brooktrout906
6" x 6". That's sure to start a heated 220's for beaver post.

Not recommended, caught this guy in a otter set. Belisle 220, put him down but it was a good thing it was anchored for an elephant. weighed him, 58 Lbs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/11/24 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vinke
And what gravy water to read.....
But I am guessing me toes would get worse

they really cant
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/11/24 03:21 PM

LMBO @ they cant!

SW this is the first time I have ever heard of something like that but it goes to show how important securing and trap is.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 01:07 AM

New one on me, amazing your duck weed is still green! Watched a nutria nearly laying flat on his back in shallow water one time raking that stuff in his mouth with both front feet like he was eating soup, lol. Until then I didn't even know that ate that stuff, imagine beaver do as well.

Seen culverts with log chain going all the way through them to a old tire wheel laying out in the water, other end of chain tied off to the side of culvert. Beaver's clog the culvert they just hook the chain to a tractor and take off, dragging that wheel through the bottom of the dam it all blow's out.
Posted By: wws

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 01:32 AM

I had an opossum last year at a customers house push a wooden gate open and got stuck under it, the gate swung in and the further it pushed the tighter the gate got on it. Easy service call for sure. Should had snapped a picture.

Western Wildlife Services.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 02:29 AM

Who knew you could basically gill net beavers!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 03:41 AM

After years of this I've come to the firm conclusion animals can find the strangest ways to die. Hold my beer doesn't just apply to young humans.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by MnJag

Netting beaver was made illegal for a reason.
Its the old way the Cree took beaver in winter before steel traps.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by MnJag

Netting beaver was made illegal for a reason.
Its the old way the Cree took beaver in winter before steel traps.

Crazy! Did not know that.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 03:57 AM

I need me some of those 220 grates around here.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Landowner uses a backhoe to lift this grate amd put back in place.

To clean out plugged pipes, we've had to get a straight log or power pole, chain it to backhoe bucket, and push out pipe with a horizontal plunging action. Takes a little work.

Exactly what our township does except they use a frontend loader. They actually leave old telephone poles next to problem culverts just in case.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 05:15 PM

Ive walked and crawled into plugged culverts with chain and other adaptations hooked into large wood and then scrambled out and let backhoe with boom pull out.

Re: Unlucky Beaver - 01/12/24 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx
Ive walked and crawled into plugged culverts with chain and other adaptations hooked into large wood and then scrambled out and let backhoe with boom pull out.

Come on down to the deep South. I need somebody who'll do just that. Job requirement: Must NOT be scared of snakes or syringe needles. Go ahead and get a anti-venin shot b4 your 1st day on the job.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums