Home

Getting out of sticky situations

Posted By: Gary Benson

Getting out of sticky situations - 01/22/24 11:30 PM

Even with a 4WD a guy can get in a little trouble. I got in too much snow today but had a shovel and got out. What do ya'll carry along to help out? I've heard of cat litter and other things. I found a couple racks in an old refrigerator once that got me out of a bind on a muddy road. I'd like to find 4 short lengths of expanded metal to carry along.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/22/24 11:36 PM

A high lift jack has gotten me out of more than one pickle. Jack the truck up in the air and either shove stuff under the wheel or shove it off the jack sideways out of your rut.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/22/24 11:37 PM

Oh yes! That's standard equipment! I'm talking traction assist.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/22/24 11:44 PM

Cell phone and a chain to call for a tractor, but otherwise chicken grit.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/22/24 11:45 PM

A log chain around each tire on the end you are trying to go. Hook it to a deadman. As the wheel spins it will either wrap around the wheel and pull you out fast or break an axle stub. I have done it several times when stuck alone in slush on the lake. It works......all except that one time that it didn't.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:02 AM

You can lay the chain on the ground and drive on it also.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
A log chain around each tire on the end you are trying to go. Hook it to a deadman. As the wheel spins it will either wrap around the wheel and pull you out fast or break an axle stub. I have done it several times when stuck alone in slush on the lake. It works......all except that one time that it didn't.

My old m 715 kaiser jeep had lugs on the center cap to hook up for air lifting it. The manual also showed putting the lug wrench in the lug and a chain or strap wrapping around it to pull it out. Had to try it at least once. It worked but would have been better it it had a rear locker or turning breaks like a tractor because itt didn't move it much before the other side started spinning and it quit moving
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:10 AM

When I’m stuck it’s cuz I’m hung up. Just a shovel.
And good tires!
Posted By: Nate L

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:17 AM

I use tire chains to make sure I get in far enough to get really stuck. Then a Wyeth Scott More Power Puller 3 ton come along to pull me back out

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:21 AM

No Deadman here to anchor to![Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:25 AM

I carry a Phone and shovel I will call a landowner with a tractor if I can dig myself out.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:37 AM

Shovel, 30 ft tow straps, come a long & wire lath, the honey comb type, 4 ft lengths, doubled up under the tires works for me.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by trapdye
Shovel, 30 ft tow straps, come a long & wire lath, the honey comb type, 4 ft lengths, doubled up under the tires works for me.

Like chain link fence? Not a bad idea.
Posted By: Squirt

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 01:44 AM

Unfortunately handyman jacks are about impossible to use with the modern truck bumpers but matt tracks are pretty useful and of course tire chains but most new trucks can’t be chained up on the front
Posted By: adam m

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 01:47 AM

Snow chains, tow chains, cheap table salt, shovels (trench and regular) axe. Used to carry a pack of roof shingles in the bed (weight and traction).
Posted By: Savell

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 01:48 AM

… straps and come a long… a couple tee Post and a driver doesn’t hurt either
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:01 AM

5000lb winch on front of SxS. Sunk the Honda last week. Took me an hour and 2 pulled up willow trees to get out.

But...I drive that Honda right up to the beaver dams if possible...thank goodness for that winch.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:15 AM

laugh. You must be about 67
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
laugh. You must be about 67

59....too old to be carrying around sheets of expanded metal, chain link fence t-posts, etc....lol

Ha..I just realized you may have meant 67°...lol

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:26 AM

It does look a little deep there.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:28 AM

We got 9" of snow and 18" of wind.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:30 AM

Lol I don't even carry a spare tire. I just don't drive places my Honda Civic or 2 wheel drive truck might get stuck.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:36 AM

In my 2500 Chevy, I have 4 tire chains, a 5 ton Lug All, a 25 foot chain, and a 50 foot cable with hooks. Truck has studded winter treads also. The Subaru Forester also has studded winter tires, and I have a 2 ton come a long, a 20 ft chain, and a 30 foot cable.

Battery jumper boxes in each also.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Lol I don't even carry a spare tire. I just don't drive places my Honda Civic or 2 wheel drive truck might get stuck.

I'm about 30 miles from you..I'm guessing you're not venturing out much lately!
Posted By: snowy

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:49 AM

Chains and common sense. Even thinking about putting chains on, bring me to my common senses. I usually know if I'm going to get stuck so now, I'd rather not try knowing I will get stuck. Common sense has kept me out of a lot of work, but it was the school of hard knocks that taught me the most. The chains are going to rust to dust if I just use my common sense.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:58 AM

What's this thing you call common sense? Just go for it.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:01 AM

You haven't been stuck until you have been stuck on a lake or in the slush. In the slush, minutes matter sometimes. On the wet, slick, polished ice................
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:06 AM

At all times. Backcountry style snow shovel, small spade, 36” disston cross cut, little boys axe, 30’ tow strap, two small D ringed straps 3’, shackles, shackled tow stinger. All fits under or behind my tundra seat minus the shovels

thinking about carrying my new 3 ton 35’ Wyeth come along. Its been super handy at work. Will pull anything.

Chains in the truck half the year.

I pull lots of people out of sticky situations. Christmas tree season on the line is hilarious.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:08 AM

A couple T-posts, a driver, and a come-a-long ride around with me where ever I go. I keep a shovel handy, but those things don't fit my hands very well.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:10 AM

That ought to cover it!
I wouldn't drive out on any thickness of ice. Call me phobic!
Posted By: trapperpaul

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:11 AM

Sand bags for weight and if needed open one up and spread on shoveled tire path. If in rut put whole unopened bag in rut

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:18 AM

Nothing likes slush not even track machines. Getting stuck in slush is the worst IMO.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:33 AM

That ought to cover it!

As soon as you spin a tire on the lake you are hosed. The more you spin, the more deep and polished the ruts gets that the tire is sitting in. Any moisture runs into that hole. It is SUPER frustrating. If you are lucky, you can jack it up all the way to the top with a hi lift jack, shove it sideways off the jack to get out of the ruts and away you go. Other times I have drilled a 10 inch hole in the ice and used a dead man and a come along to pull the truck 8 feet at a time and of course it is always windy on 20 below zero. This may be why I don't ice fish anymore.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:34 AM

I fixed all of my snow problems by renting a moving van and did what people with sense do and moved south...
Our fur primes up just like Yankee fur does.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 05:41 AM

I have a 10k warn in a cradle mount that can go into any receiver hitch. It's cable, synthetic would have been a lot lighter to move around but I figured cable had more durability plus it's what was in stock whan I had to pull out the tractor.

I figured a mount that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle was more likely to be able to be used when it's needed. For example it won't be on a nice aftermarket bumper on a vehicle that's broke down when a winch is needed. Instead it and a battery can be picked up and used on any vehicle with a receiver mount. Not as convenient as a permanent mounted winch but has more options.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 09:19 AM

I have several hundred feet of 1" diameter rope and 60' of heavy logging chain, that I have used a lot.

Keith
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
That ought to cover it!

As soon as you spin a tire on the lake you are hosed. The more you spin, the more deep and polished the ruts gets that the tire is sitting in. Any moisture runs into that hole. It is SUPER frustrating. If you are lucky, you can jack it up all the way to the top with a hi lift jack, shove it sideways off the jack to get out of the ruts and away you go. Other times I have drilled a 10 inch hole in the ice and used a dead man and a come along to pull the truck 8 feet at a time and of course it is always windy on 20 below zero. This may be why I don't ice fish anymore.

We ice fish on snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and by foot. No need to get truck stuck and you can still ice fish grin
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:06 PM

Every vehicle I own has a winch on it, except my new snowmachine, where I switched to packing a rope-along rather than an electric winch. They all have a shovel in them also, and the pickups all have four tire chains, jumper cables and a cigarette lighter air compressor. The four wheelers have an air compressor also and I own tire chains that fit them but they aren't usually in them. A shovel is used most often, that and airing the tires down. It is amazing how much better your rig will go in the snow if you let a bunch of air out of the tires.
Posted By: John Carter

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:11 PM

Lewis winch
Posted By: warrior

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 12:20 PM

I see "overland" vehicles here running up and down the interstate with high lift jacks and traction boards bolted onto their bed racks. Funny thing is none have any mud or scratches on them.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 01:10 PM

The main difference between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive is that when you get stuck with 4 wheel drive you are a lot more stucker.

Winch of course is the best. Handyman jack, come along and a box of kitty litter can all help a lot.

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
I see "overland" vehicles here running up and down the interstate with high lift jacks and traction boards bolted onto their bed racks. Funny thing is none have any mud or scratches on them.

I marvel at the hood mounted Jack's. Brilliant for a new $80k vechile. [Linked Image]
Posted By: MJM

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 02:54 PM

The good part about snow is, you can dig out if you want too. I always felt digging out was good mental therapy. I don't seem to need as much as I used too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 03:00 PM

I got tired just looking at that. I need a nap.
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 04:51 PM

I carry a 4x8 sheet of 5/8 plywood ,that fits great in the bed of my pickup.
The rear end went thru the ice and I was lucky to jack it up and slided the
plywood under the tires. Worked great that time!!
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 04:54 PM

I use a couple chunks of old carpet, just stick em in front or back of the tires depending in which direction you need to go. 60% of the time it works everytime
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 05:16 PM

A 70 pound Bruce anchor a 12000 pound winch with 90' of Amsteel on it .... tree saver steps, snatch blocks, soft shackles and kinetic rope. Since I have all that in the truck together with a chain saw I have not managed to get stuck and use it mostly to get others out of the pickles they got themselves into. Got the neighbor out of a ditch yesterday. No one was hurt and just a bit of plastic of the bumper splintered. Good tires are a big help when it gets white outside.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 05:23 PM

Yukon jack
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 08:01 PM

[Linked Image]

All gas - no brakes

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
The good part about snow is, you can dig out if you want too. I always felt digging out was good mental therapy. I don't seem to need as much as I used too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have done that a few times myself. Lust last fall needed to get through low spot that had drifted and was to deep to make it through. Didn't take long to do and got a good path through and poured the inion to it and saved me about 3/4 of walking to get where I needed to be.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Getting out of sticky situations - 01/23/24 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
I have done that a few times myself. Lust last fall needed to get through low spot that had drifted and was to deep to make it through. Didn't take long to do and got a good path through and poured the inion to it and saved me about 3/4 of walking to get where I needed to be.

I was running snares and in the first picture you can see my track up ahead. I was headed south and the NW wind just piles the snow in on the south side of the hills. I am running stubble so the tops are pretty open. It would have been a lot shorter a dig to go out forward, until I came back. Then I could dig out what I did to back out. There was no way I was getting out to the south and then making it back north to the house with out more of these therapy sessions. I know what it will look like over the next hill from what the last one looked like. We have a small ground blizzard going now. You can see, just not far.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums