Home

Coons Get Eaten in Trap?

Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 08:21 PM

Had this discussion the other day with some other folks. I dont remember having a coon eaten by a coyote (or anything else) when trapped in over fifty years of trapping. In fact, not much but buzzards eat them when thrown out - at least where I live. I am sure every now and then a coyote will eat a trapped coon, but in my area, it is far from common.

How common in your trapping area.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 08:27 PM

I've never had it happen.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 08:29 PM

Bald Eagles will eat coons in traps this time of year on our river. I try to hide them from above and check early to avoid it. In body grip boxes anyway.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 08:30 PM

I've never seen it, but I bet fisher have killed trapped coon
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 08:36 PM

Happens but not often. That’s how the Gila monster spot got its name. Lol
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 08:48 PM

Rat Pack, I was going to post and you hit it on the head. Had a big boar in one on my Fisher cubbies this year. When I skinned out the coon he had puncture holes and his tail almost bit off. The guys and I figured he was working on pulling him out of the cubbies but it chewed up the coon pretty good..
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 08:51 PM

Are there any Boco's in your area ??
Posted By: GARY M.

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 09:45 PM

Only thing down my way would be wild dogs that people throw out.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 10:12 PM

Birds will eat a belly up coon in a conibear around here about anytime of the year, but nothing else seems to touch them.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 10:15 PM

I once had all that was left in a DP was a coon's entire front leg. I figured either a coyote or there had been some wolves spotted in the area occasionally.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 10:16 PM

Over the years I have had three coons that were partially eaten by cats, and the rest was completely covered with limbs and debris. I caught two of the cats the next night, but was pulling traps when the other one happened. I had one coon totally eaten by coyotes except for the leg that had the trap on it' Had one area that had many coons killed in traps by dogs. They destroy a good hide.
Posted By: keets

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 10:38 PM

had one in a conibear that got torn up and partially eaten by a bobcat...tracks in the snow told the story
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
I once had all that was left in a DP was a coon's entire front leg. I figured either a coyote or there had been some wolves spotted in the area occasionally.

There wasn't any snow or dirt, just high grass. So, couldn't say for sure what it was that took the coon.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 10:54 PM

Got pics of possums and coons in traps and coyotes and cats (targeted critters) come by and look but don’t touch.
Got pics and video of coyotes and a possum eating on the same peanut pile put out for hogs.
Y’all got some hungry critters up there if they eating coons. Had Peter hop on a trap one time, they left me his lucky foot.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Got pics of possums and coons in traps and coyotes and cats (targeted critters) come by and look but don’t touch.
Got pics and video of coyotes and a possum eating on the same peanut pile put out for hogs.
Y’all got some hungry critters up there if they eating coons. Had Peter hop on a trap one time, they left me his lucky foot.

Not one of those this year our self. But I figured it was an owl or hawk that ate him. Hqd a red tail fly up off what was left of a fox squirrel as I walked up on a set once. Had a great horned owl in a victor 1.75 that the day before had a crow foot and feathers left behind figured a coyote for a free snack untill I rolled up and had the owl the next morning. I guess it came back looking for left overs.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 11:04 PM

Had wolves kill n eat one.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/27/24 11:12 PM

Yotes will kill and maul them here but don't eat them
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 01:03 AM

Had bobcat nibble on them then cover the rest
Posted By: DWC

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 01:33 AM

Had an otter rip the crap out of one, but it wasnt “eaten”
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 01:39 AM

During mating in conis they eat one another. Start at the butt or pecker.
Posted By: nate

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 05:28 AM

Had a fm coyote on a drag dug two coons out of a bank den crushed one's skull and ripped the heart/ lungs out of the other, looked like a satanic ritual act.
Posted By: womper

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 10:21 AM

I've pulled up to a 220 ,in a trail and had a bald eagle standing next to a half eaten coon.

He just stood there looking at me like he was ready to fight me for it, so I just left and finished checking that farm.

He was gone when I came back by later. That's the only one I ever remember.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 12:02 PM

Every time its happened to me, it was a bald eagle. I've seen it a few times.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 12:11 PM

I released a Fisher from a cage trap after season once...next morning it followed my tracks to two sets and half ate two Coons. vindictive animal - or just smart and hungry.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 12:34 PM

Had one ate down to the shoulders in a 220 , bobcats are a culprit they like coons
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coons Get Eaten in Trap? - 01/28/24 01:22 PM

It happens. Not often here but I have come on a few over the years.
This was a big boar in a hind foot catch. Sort of eerie to walk up on it in dark and flashlight.
Dogs were culprit here.
Jim

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums