Home

Already shedding

Posted By: dakidsmn

Already shedding - 03/12/24 07:48 PM

Caught my first beaver that's shedding this year. Early for sure.

I'm in central Minnesota.

Has the dispersal even started yet?

Attached picture 20240312_133528.jpg
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Already shedding - 03/12/24 07:52 PM

Wow
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Already shedding - 03/12/24 08:27 PM

Beavers here in southern Georgia never do that.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Already shedding - 03/12/24 08:56 PM

In my experience, that is an unusual shedding. Normally I have seen the underfur start to shed around the legs and not the guard hair. I could be wrong but I think something else happened to that beaver. I have noticed the beaver starting to lose prime already around the front legs. The water level is super low and I think that is going to affect the dispersal.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Already shedding - 03/12/24 08:58 PM

I think that beaver has some other issues. We caught 2 yesterday and they look fine.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Already shedding - 03/12/24 09:29 PM

That could be a rub.
See that occasionally when beaver are squeezing thru a tight spot on a regular basis.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Already shedding - 03/12/24 11:45 PM

Ya that looks like something else bad rub maybe. If you catch more there see if they bad also. Maybe coming from their lodge.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 12:16 AM

I have never seen anything like that. I think there is something else going with that.
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 01:26 AM

Looks like a rub. Either rock or tree roots in the den entrance, or some other run they are using on a very regular basis. This winter I had one bank den entrance that produced 2 beaver just like that. Out of curiosity, I put on waders and lowered myself through the ice. After feeling around with my foot, the unusually narrow entrance was bored through a mass of cedar roots.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 02:42 AM

Looks like a rub to me.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 02:48 AM

Did you lay him down on some ice,or bust a chunk of ice off him with the axe?
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 03:45 AM

[Linked Image]
Bet you MN guys wish you had some of these Eastern MT blond beauties.
I get green with envy every time you fellas post one of those almost black beaver.

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 10:16 AM

I'll take more pictures today. Last beaver in the lodge. Adult male. All the rest were beautiful and fully furred. Took me 2 weeks to get him. No ice.

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by MT bowhunter
[Linked Image]
Bet you MN guys wish you had some of these Eastern MT blond beauties.
I get green with envy every time you fellas post one of those almost black beaver.

Catch a couple light ones a year. I actually like them more.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 12:20 PM

Many of the ponds here are all but dried up and I suspect I may see some beaver like this from rubbing on sticks and ice trying to get to the feed pile. I am actually expecting fairly high mortality in many of the small, new ponds. The water dropped too much and froze making them unable to reach much of the feed pile.

Re: Already shedding - 03/13/24 07:34 PM

Upon further review, it appears to be a rub. I was confused by all the loose fur where 330 hit him. He had been getting by the traps on the lodge entrances. I finally got him on a castor mound set using the big females castor/oil sack set. First night after the pond was ice free

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums