Home

New gun?

Posted By: trapperkeck

New gun? - 03/21/24 10:48 PM

Kicking around this in a .22 mag. Any input is appreciated.
[Linked Image]
Or maybe this?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Guss

Re: New gun? - 03/21/24 10:55 PM

I like the old west gun
Posted By: Foot Tickler

Re: New gun? - 03/21/24 11:14 PM

I think the wrangler is a good gun and I almost bought one myself once. Only thing that held me back was the diamondback sidekick and if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the sidekick. Unless something has been updated with the wrangler since I last looked, it was either .22 (wrangler) or .22 mag (super wrangler). The diamondback comes with interchangeable cylinders with the purchase of the gun so you can swap out whenever. Other thing that leaned me toward the diamondback if I remember right, it is a double action where the wrangler is only single (unless that's changed). And since I was looking for a good snake gun I thought double action may be more beneficial in those "high stress" situations lol. I've also held the diamondback side by side with the wrangler and it wasn't lacking for quality. So if you want the wrangler I'd say you're still making a good purchase, but if you want more versatility for your money, maybe keep your eye out for the diamondback instead. Hope that helps!
Posted By: BandB

Re: New gun? - 03/21/24 11:23 PM

I bought one in December. I like it so far. Both 22lr/22mag cylinders included and adjustable sight. Double action would be nice. I didn't want the Wrangler because of the fixed sights. One drawback is the front sight (at least for me). It's pretty wide. It would be a little more accurate with a little thinner ramp with a contrasting color on it.
Posted By: 160user

Re: New gun? - 03/21/24 11:27 PM

I can say it is FAR cheaper than the J frame Smith 22 mag I bought this week.

Re: New gun? - 03/21/24 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 160user

So, you bought another kayak anchor?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 12:12 AM

I like my wrangler but the sights leave a little to be desired

I looked at a super wrangler last week , I hear you on the front post is a little wide for that rear notch , I feel like it is a part borrowed from something with another 2 inches of barrel to put some light on each side of the front ramp.

on the other hand it is held on with a screw so the only thing keeping it there is a screw
looks like Williams has a set of sights that fit probably not long till someplace else does also.
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/ruger-super-wrangler-sight-upgrade.363496/

if your looking at a 22mag pistol to get more power , it is a bit negligible in that barrel length.

22mag really shines in a longer barrel

it depends what your looking for

if that is more power then let the 22mag shine in the longer barrel

if your looking for a pistol , the super wrangler does get you better sights than the wrangler even if you use the 22lr cylinder

I would be curios the accuracy of the 22lr in the barrel that is .224 not .223 but probably not too much of an issue.

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I looked at a super wrangler last week , I hear you on the front post is a little wide for that rear notch , I feel like it is a part borrowed from something with another 2 inches of barrel to put some light on each side of the front ramp.

on the other hand it is held on with a screw so the only thing keeping it there is a screw
looks like Williams has a set of sights that fit probably not long till someplace else does also.
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/ruger-super-wrangler-sight-upgrade.363496/

if your looking at a 22mag pistol to get more power , it is a bit negligible in that barrel length.

if your looking for a pistol , the super wrangler does get you better sights than the wrangler even if you use the 22lr cylinder

I would be curios the accuracy of the 22lr in the barrel that is .224 not .223 but probably not too much of an issue.

You seem to be under the illusion that I have a purpose for this purchase. laugh
I was just thinkin' I haven't bought a gun, lately.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 12:36 AM

I’m not a revolver guy, but the boys bought me a Wrangler for Christmas a few years ago and that gun don’t miss. I can hit a snake in the head at 5yds with ease and I’ve shot a hog at 25yds just to see if I could (Yeah, had a backup, lol) but that pig dropped in tracks with an ear hole shot. Snuck in on them.
Great gun for what I use it for…mainly a truck/trap/burn gun. I haven’t babied it at all and she looks as good as the day they bought it. Mine is only a regular .22. Sights are what they are, but they’re on!

Editing to mention they make a holster strictly for the Wrangler and it holds it right and tight.
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 01:01 AM

They are decent guns for the money they could be better but for that price very good gun
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 01:21 AM

A 22mag would sure be nice.
Posted By: Rally

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 01:23 AM

Awww, that was nice of you to buy me a late birthday present buddy!
Posted By: 160user

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rally

Awww, that was nice of you to buy me a late birthday present buddy!

How did you know? That thing should be a hoot on Spring beaver! Model 51 I believe, 3.5 inch.

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

You seem to be under the illusion that I have a purpose for this purchase. laugh

I think about uses or if it was just because I would be thinking something historic military peice.
but that is just me
lately if I don't have a USE then I just buy more ammo because I get more from shooting than owning things without purpose.

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

Editing to mention they make a holster strictly for the Wrangler and it holds it right and tight.

is that a Ruger holster or another brand , I am looking for a better wrangler holster than the old hunter I have that was for another gun , it works but is a little sloppy and longer than it needs to be.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 01:18 PM

Not available in MN by law ! Low melting point alloy frame is the problem.
Posted By: k snow

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2poor

Just read an article on the new Super Wrangler, and it sounded like it has a steel frame now?
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 01:32 PM

Buy the Henry. Stock up on 22 mag. Great round.
Sarge

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 02:06 PM

if I was getting a henry the 2 I would be looking at
the small game carbine 17 inch barrel with a skinner peep sight , I like peep sights and short rifles for carrying around. in 22mag load the tube and your ready to rock when that vermin that needs shooting shows up with a flick of the wrist.
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-small-game-carbine-rifle/
the second

the other one I would be looking hard at
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/frontier-model-threaded-barrel-24/
24 inch suppressor ready
I would do 22lr for that the whole purpose to be a quiet gun , from a longer barrel CCI quite is already shut the car door quiet , and with a can the standard velocity ammo get to that level.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck

grin
Posted By: 2poor

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

Just read an article on the new Super Wrangler, and it sounded like it has a steel frame now?

I looked and it appears that’s the case. The Super Wrangler also has an adjustable site. Quite a bit heavier probably more comparable to a Single Six but available in Cerakote .
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 02:20 PM

I won a Henry Golden Boy in a raffle and gave it to my granddaughter when she finished firearms training. She shoots it a lot and loves it.
A Henry chambered for 22 mag would be an awesome rifle, IMO.

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 02:53 PM

I looked and it appears that’s the case. The Super Wrangler also has an adjustable site. Quite a bit heavier probably more comparable to a Single Six but available in Cerakote .

I think machining the steel frame isn't that much more time consuming and they save a bunch of time on finishing because of the Cerakote , you can apply that over a bead blasting and it doesn't hardly take any prep.

the Cerakote cleans up nice when you get blood all over it , where blood on bluing can take it off.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 03:05 PM

They are ok I guess for a zink gun for a cheap gun in a tackle box or truck. But I would and did spend more on a single 10 single s would have been fine also.

Then again I could have bought 3 wranglers for what I paide for the single ten. I prefer steel and adjustable sights though. Have been around and my 13 year old has a cheap h and r he was giving. Cheap don't shoot to point of aim and they get out of time easly. My son's barrel can loose and it is slightly out of time. In my opinion pure junk but I have not through it away becu it's his and was a gift. He used it as a trap line gun some this year and it s about all I think it's good for point blank to 5 yards.

The wrangler reminds me of the same thing so I never bought one. Buy once cry once.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

is that a Ruger holster or another brand , I am looking for a better wrangler holster than the old hunter I have that was for another gun , it works but is a little sloppy and longer than it needs to be.

That I don’t remember, it may have been. All I remember it is was made for the Wrangler. I don’t worry about running, riding a 4-wheeler, or jumping ditches with it on my side.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: New gun? - 03/22/24 06:58 PM

I bought 2 last year one for me and one for one of my boys. No issues good guns lot of fun to shoot. The only two things I would say are they are exceptionally loud and only really like to eat the cheap ammo.
Posted By: 30-06 Trapper

Re: New gun? - 04/03/24 07:18 PM

Ruger Wrangler btw is that the Scheels catalog for the upcoming sale.?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums