Home

Do U rent a car?

Posted By: Mando

Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 09:06 PM

.....for long road trips or just use your own?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 09:10 PM

Too poor, just use my own
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 09:10 PM

Have always used my own but one time we rented a 14 passenger van to go to a expo to save on number of vehicles and parking it worked out really well and will do again in future
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 09:11 PM

depends

last summer when wife and youngest went out east OH, PA and NYC they were leaving the car at train station in PA for 3 days while in NYC
rented a car

all my stuff is old and one out of town repair could cost more than a weeks rental

also the little car they got did about 30mpg and the best I can do is 17

if I were driving had my tools with and not leaving it unattended at a train station for days out east I would drive my truck , we drive all over WI , up , MN ,IA and IL but it made sense sending them on their own to rent a car.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 09:16 PM

Rent with added insurance protection.

I go dry camping and beet the snot getting in and to areas of mass casualty of deer
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 09:28 PM

Also rent with added insurance
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 10:32 PM

Beaverpeeler and I rented an SUV to go in a coyote hunt in Wyoming one year. Brought it back undamaged but with about 1/2” of bentonite caked on every square inch on the outside and in the engine well. Surprised we didn’t get hammered for cleaning!
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 10:36 PM

Rent if a long trip as both vehicles have right close to 300,000 miles on them
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 10:40 PM

Occasionally
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 11:02 PM

I have
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/27/24 11:36 PM

Rentals are fun

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cotton

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/28/24 12:11 AM

Long trips are rare for us but, will jump in my f350 and go.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/28/24 12:30 AM

If you are going to drive a lot, renting a car is a no-brainer. The standard govt mileage rate of $0.67/mile is pretty close to what it actually costs to drive your own vechile. Do the math on a fuel efficient rental and you will, likely, come out ahead. It costs me about $40/day for the car + whatever fuel is used. Basically, if your trip is going to average more than 85 miles a day, renting is the way to go. I rent cars 6-8 weeks a year for work or vacation. I wish I had realized the benefits of renting sooner, would have saved a ton of wear and tear on my personal vechiles!
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/28/24 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Too poor, just use my own

Ditto.
Plus I maintain my vehicle and know it well enough if it is capable of a long trip.

I have driven a 20 year old car to south Florida and back , plus driving around the state while there for a total of 4k miles total trip.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/28/24 01:24 AM

A friend was moving out to Washington several years ago, and totaled his truck when he hit a deer in North Dakota. I rented a car and drove back there and picked him up. I had the rental car returned on the second day, drove 2,400 miles The rental car cost $19.95 a day, with unlimited mileage. I would much rather spend spend $40 and put that wear and tear and risk on someone elses vehicle.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/28/24 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I had the rental car returned on the second day, drove 2,400 miles

Dang! That's some wheel time!

I have friends that rent for long car trips. Seems like a solid idea. I'll definitely look into it in the future. The wife and kid want to drive to FL vs fly one of these years.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/28/24 12:58 PM

I found we could get a good deal on one week rentals but the price really jumped if trying for longer.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Do U rent a car? - 03/28/24 01:04 PM

Nearly always cheaper to rent for a whole week than just a couple days. $203 for a week for a Maxima in S. Florida couple weeks ago. A Florida Fruitloop backed into the side of it while we were sitting in a drive through on the 2nd day. Called the place and they said as long as it was driveable, no problem, keep on trucking. No additional fees for the damages either. Absolute no brainer!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums