Home

Boat and LAWN Mower batteries

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 02:50 PM

Is are there any really good boat or lawn mower?Batteries made anymore?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 02:52 PM

there might be , I haven't found them.

if you don't find them , store the one you do find in the house on a board , with a battery maintainer on it once a month , while you have them out of the mower or boat
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 03:52 PM

For lawn Interstate is good. But remember, lead acid batteries are only good for about 4 years now a days. Including car batteries. According to my mechanic.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 03:53 PM

Mower batteries? I don't think so, seems all the reviews on the ones I looked at were poor, 1 year at best usually dies right after any warranty, As for boats, I use a deep discharge starting marine battery that holds up well. I think the last one was from Walmart. They are expensive though. My boat battery is hooked up in the boat year round with a 60 hp Honda outboard, I often work through the winter with it. The big thing I found with boat batteries is they tend to boil the water out of them faster than you'd think, exposing the plates which hastens the batteries failure, I top off the cells several times a year with distilled water.
Can't say for sealed batteries, I've never used them.
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 04:08 PM

I just replaced the battery in my zero turn mower. It was 4 years old and had been dragging a little the last couple of years. I just bought another from Menards, $38 if I remember correctly. My flat bottom aluminum jet boat has a deep cycle cranking battery from Sam’s. I think it is Duracells if something like that. 3 years old and still strong.

I sold my bass boat last year that had blue top Optima trolling batteries that were 8 years old and would last all day on the lake.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 04:16 PM

I mostly buy Duracell batteries for all my stuff like lawn mower, ATV, boats, etc. I run battery savers on several of them. It seems to extend the life of the battery
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 07:08 PM

There are so many good boat batteries out there it's impossible to even remember them all. You almost have to not look to ask the question.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 07:39 PM

I've found it depends on the charging system on whatever you put the battery in as much as how good the battery is.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 07:48 PM

I have such faith in the mower batteries I keep at least 1 new spare in the shop at all times. One thing get the 350cc power over the 240cc
Posted By: run

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 08:20 PM

Cold weather is hard on these batteries. Plus you don't run your mower in the wintertime like Uncle Jbyrd63.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 08:27 PM

I always wondered why a battery for a quad costs double what it costs for a riding mower battery. Most of the time, the mower battery is the larger of the two.

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 08:33 PM

Battery tenders help to keep them working longer
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 08:49 PM

Interstate
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 08:51 PM

I take lawn tractor and boat battery out in the winter and put them in the cellar on a float charger. Have no problems both batteries were bought around the same time 6 or 7 years ago. These are lead acid batteries and whatever generic kind Walmart had at the time. Make sure you top off with distilled water when necessary.
My snowmobile and four wheeler were the battery eaters until I changed them over to gel batteries 3 years ago. I have had no problems and leave them in the machines year round. I do make sure I start them on a regular basis if I'm not riding
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 09:22 PM

everstart from Walmart. They are mostly the same just Walmart is easier to get warranty
Boat and lawn mower....
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 09:39 PM

Dakota Lithium. But they are spendy.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 09:44 PM

As above I take my several batteries and put them in the basement for the winter. I don't use or have a float type charger.

Bryce
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/04/24 09:49 PM

I really miss the Sears Die Hard's !!!!!
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 03:23 AM

Batteries are a crap shoot. One will last 10 years and the next will last 10 months. This was told to me by the guy who owns the battery store down the road. I've found this to be true.

As far as lanwmower/ATV batteries, I've had the best luck with the cheap Fleet Farm batteries personally. I've bought high end/Spendy batteries that didn't last a year. The cheapo from Fleet Farm for my ATV is close to 10 yrs old now. I have a cheapo in my Ice fishing flasher that's almost that old and it gets banged around a LOT.

I was also told that heat kills more batteries than the cold does. I'm not sure if I completely believe this but a week after someone told me that (on the hottest day of the summer) my car battery went belly up.

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 03:41 AM

The last mower battery I bought was the better one not too long ago it has a 6 month warranty on it that says a lot.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 08:35 AM

I've been buying Batteries from Napa...but they've recently cut their warranty
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 11:20 AM

Got a duracell battery on the mower, this will be it's 5th year but i bring it in the house for the winter. As for boats, check out the lithium battery's that are out now. Real light compared to the old marine battery's, pricey too. I use them to run camera's on my hog traps.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 11:28 AM

Spend up and put in an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery and not a disposable lead acid battery. The vibration and constant jarring will usually cause the plates to touch in an acid battery. You lose a cello and it no longer has 12 volts. That’s what causes slow or no cranking ability.

I ran the same AGM battery in my motorcycle for 13 years. A typical acid battery would have needed replacement by the 3rd summer.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 12:14 PM

Off season maintenance/charging/storing/ are key. I get about 6 to 8 years on the cheaper brands.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 12:17 PM

factory bactory on my jd zero turn, no problems yet. my 4 wheeler cant keep a battery for 6 months...
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 12:23 PM

All batteries suck eventually, but they're great until they aren't.

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
Off season maintenance/charging/storing/ are key. I get about 6 to 8 years on the cheaper brands.

This ^^^ many will freeze in the colder climates due to lack of use. For the $40 cost having an extra one sitting around is a cheap investment for me.
Posted By: coop

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 02:09 PM

Walmart... 2 years... repeat.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Boat and LAWN Mower batteries - 04/05/24 02:54 PM

All of the marine batteries I've ever bought has died in under a year. Now I just buy regular car batteries and they last a few years.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums