Home

If you could do it all over again...?

Posted By: Gary Benson

If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:12 PM

If you were graduating this spring, what would you do for a career? Or recommend for a young person today.
I think I'd go into investing and money management
A couple people in my family are doing well at it.
My eldest Granddaughter is going into Lasik eye surgery.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:15 PM

Go to Alberta and get a job in the oil fields.
Posted By: harrison72

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:18 PM

One of my biggest regrets is not joining the military after graduation. 18 year old kids never think about it, but you can get a lot of benefits and serve the greatest country in the world at the same time.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:37 PM

Barber. Steady business not effected by economy, short schooling, work for yourself, low overhead and clean
compared to other jobs I've had. Do 3 or 4 an hour and your making pretty good money
Posted By: Boco

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:40 PM

Mining geologist.
Get to travel all over the world to some remote places and make very big money.
Posted By: Old pup

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:45 PM

Personally, I wouldn't go to college. Become an apprentice electrician, plumber or carpenter or some trade. Earn decent money, promising future and no student loans. Just my old opinion.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by harrison72
One of my biggest regrets is not joining the military after graduation. 18 year old kids never think about it, but you can get a lot of benefits and serve the greatest country in the world at the same time.

Retire at 38 if you want. Then be in the front of the line for every job that comes along...
Posted By: spjones

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:48 PM

Wouldn’t do anything different,,,,,

Find your your passion,,,love your job,,,work hard,,,save/invest wisely

Investing/money management, like most white collar jobs are likely going too be crushed by AI. But is a important life skill

Learning to speak mandarin would likely help getting a high paying career
Posted By: KeithC

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:49 PM

I would skip college and grad school and do what I am doing now, but right away. I would be a huge amount better off financially. College is a waste for most students with liberal arts majors. People can learn more by experience and save a fortune.

Keith
Posted By: TrapperDR

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/09/24 11:50 PM

I think I did it but it's hard to know without doing it again.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Mining geologist.
Get to travel all over the world to some remote places and make very big money.
That's what I thought when I started college. The description is pretty much accurate,

Stated another way.:Sleeping in a tent in the most remote places on earth with no chicks, booze, nightlife within a light-year.
Posted By: Posco

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:12 AM

I'd go EOD if I had the chance to do it again. Maybe try out for the SEAL teams.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:22 AM

Join the Marines, serve the country.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:27 AM

Politician. Hire people to answer the phone when a voter is mad. Hire people to write speeches.. Go to parties, take bribes (campaign contributions), get inside investment tips, free vacations, free body guards, unbeatable retirement and health care, just vote once in awhile and read the speech writers speech, pretty cushy I'd say.
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:29 AM

One of my brothers is a Dr. He encouraged all of the nieces and nephews to go to college to be a pharmacist. His speech to them was (go to college take out what loans you need to be a pharmacist. Then pick where you want to live and you will have a job within 25 miles.)

My thoughts would be to join a trade.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:31 AM

I wouldn't change a thing as far as a career.
I'd trap, rendezvous, live market, and work seasonal out door work in between.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Politician. Hire people to answer the phone when a voter is mad. Hire people to write speeches.. Go to parties, take bribes (campaign contributions), get inside investment tips, free vacations, free body guards, unbeatable retirement and health care, just vote once in awhile and read the speech writers speech, pretty cushy I'd say.

And no repercussions or consequences for anything you do!

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:36 AM

I know a fella that retired from the Air Force after 31 yrs as an officer. Way up there. He gets over 8000 a month retirement plus bennies.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:36 AM

Baxter State Park
Posted By: Marty

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:52 AM

Army-sf-D.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:57 AM

I considered strongly the army. Parents discouraged it, post Vietnam era, I understand the concern. Wish I had. I would have gone to college sooner and started teaching sooner. Love it, still miss the kids, not the rest. Would teach and coach again all over.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:09 AM

An acquaintance I went to school with is a lawyer for lawyers.According to him,a lot of big time lawyers get themselves in a lot of trouble.
He makes around 2g an hour but he has to live in New york city to work.
But he has some nice places all over the world where he can kick back.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:14 AM

Ya, for some reason lawyers end up thinking they're better than others and are invincible. Kinda like...........never mind.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:15 AM

I'd go to Alaska.
Become a hunting guide.

Die beat up and broke but... smile
Posted By: lechwe

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:19 AM

Couldn't agree more. My only regret is not having served.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:25 AM

I did some time in the Army. It ain't all glorious. You gotta have a real laid back attitude to play the games.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:27 AM

[Linked Image]
Basic training
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:37 AM

I'd think long and hard about what I do in my spare time that I am passionate about and look for a career that best matches that. Big money is cool, but it clearly isn't everything.
I don't have to do it all over again. I'm living it.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:43 AM

I don't know what specifically I would do-- probably electrician. I would not choose the labor end of any ag industry (the route I chose). The only 2 knowns are long hours and low pay in anything farm related.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:55 AM

I wouldn't change what I had. I never made any money, but I never spent any, either. Maybe I'd skip over a couple of wives. To me, lifestyle and adventure was more important than making a lot of money.

Jack
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
I wouldn't change what I had. I never made any money, but I never spent any, either. Maybe I'd skip over a couple of wives. To me, lifestyle and adventure was more important than making a lot of money.

Jack

I like your way of thinkin!!
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:31 AM

Wouldn’t change a thing. I did it My Way!!!! [Linked Image]
I am in the middle. We have been friends since we were 9. Now we are turning 60. We are still learning. Trying new things. And doing it out own way.
I never have looked back. Regretted anything. Life is a learning curve. My only advice is never turn down an opportunity. You are only limited by yourself.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:33 AM

Gigilo, I totally missed my calling!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Ya, for some reason lawyers end up thinking they're better than others and are invincible. Kinda like...........never mind.

grin

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:38 AM

Tk Gets it....^^^ Hahaha
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:47 AM

I like my life how it turned out. If anything I’d have joined the military immediately after graduation and not waited a few years afterwards.
But I’d only do that if the end result is what it is now. I love my life despite a lot of boneheaded decisions along the way.
If my wife and boys aren’t a part of changing things, then I’d keep things just as they are.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:57 AM

For years had plans of joining the military once graduating from high school but my father said no, too many drugs. Then sent me off to technical school. No drugs there.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 03:39 AM

If I were graduating this spring, I wouldn't choose the course I took back in 1968. Today's military isn't what it was back then. I had a ball through my whole service doing a job that was exciting and challenging. I would do it again if I could do it again back then.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 03:59 AM

for me I am not sure there is an answer besides fixing something

I went the path of electronics school and I support phone systems not bad work do wish I was outside some days , of course not when it is 35 and pouring rain and blowing sideways.

my cousins kid just went Navy and is an air frame mechanic green shirt on the flight deck , that could also be cool.

I just need something to fix never been good at paper shuffling or money manipulation I want something tangible that I can work on and measure even if it is moving at the speed of light.

my son is working on a CNC technician program goal being able to program and fix the CNC machines. which is what I had been thinking going into electronics school, work on cnc machines fixing them.
but phones happened
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 04:06 AM

I am in school now majoring in finance because I'm pretty sure I can get a job about anywhere with a finance degree.

That said, if I was graduating tomorrow, I'd do what I wanted to do when I was a kid... become a veterinarian.... a country vet. I'd charge yuppies and greenies through the roof so I could work on kids' dogs and poor folks hunting dogs for close to cost.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 04:07 AM

Join the Air Force then go to college under the GI bill and learn something practical that I liked and could get me a job upon graduation anywhere in the country.
Posted By: waggler

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 05:18 AM

A college degree is not worth nearly what is was a few years ago, unless you are aiming at a particular career such as law, medicine, etc..

The trades are where the big money is now. Very few people want to really work; that is, to be productive.

In my part of the Country, guys who are motivated and not afraid to work are pulling down six figure incomes in their early 20's, doing things like flooring installation, tile, interior painting, radiant heat, kitchen remodel, real estate services, etc..

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't recommend the military to any young person today. I may change my opinion if the political climate makes a big and permanent change. The few career military folks I know are all scrambling to retire due to the woke direction the military is taking. I have one friend who has been in for 20 years, he has about 800 guys under him, he is now taking orders from a 23 year old lesbian.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
A college degree is not worth nearly what is was a few years ago, unless you are aiming at a particular career such as law, medicine, etc..

The trades are where the big money is now. Very few people want to really work; that is, to be productive.

In my part of the Country, guys who are motivated and not afraid to work are pulling down six figure incomes in their early 20's, doing things like flooring installation, tile, interior painting, radiant heat, kitchen remodel, real estate services, etc..

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't recommend the military to any young person today. I may change my opinion if the political climate makes a big and permanent change. The few career military folks I know are all scrambling to retire due to the woke direction the military is taking. I have one friend who has been in for 20 years, he has about 800 guys under him, he is now taking orders from a 23 year old lesbian.

I was thinking about in 1965 when I graduated from high school. Yes, today I may think about a technical program. As far as a four year program maybe a degree in Civil Engineering or something similar.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 08:48 AM

Professional trapper and lure maker
Or..
A butcher
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 09:53 AM

the only thing I would change is I would invest when I was young early teens, when I was 16 I had 9 guys working for me all summer, if I would have had the advice from someone to invest, I would be rich by the time I was 50
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 10:30 AM

i wouldn't do much, if anything, differently. I 'm pretty happy the way things turned out.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 11:38 AM

Loved what I did . Would recommend trades to the up and coming workers

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 11:59 AM

Move West when I was Young...
Posted By: Jingles

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:37 PM

Was in a similar position so joined the Navy, (couldn't get in 1st or 2nd choice due to having had polio then still ended up spending most of my 22 yrs with 1st choice) if person decides to enlist pick a field ( NEC/MOS) that can be used after getting out that they enjoy
Posted By: newtoga

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 12:39 PM

I wouldn’t change a thing. I like how things turned out.
Posted By: gcs

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:02 PM

If your good at math consider a mechanical or electrical engineer, need college but you can actually get a job, same with pharmacist.
Otherwise the trades are all high paying and low cost to get into.
Posted By: bass10

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:09 PM

Lineman, two of my buddies boys got into it and great money, no college debt. When they are out
on call they make upwards of $95 an hour depending on area plus per day money. One was in the navy
for 4 years first, the other went right in after a 2 year associates degree
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 01:50 PM

My son retired after 20 years last summer.
He gets a pension, health care is covered and he just signed up for GI bill.
Started a electrician apprenticeship last summer.
Between all his benefits and pay he'll be pulling down close to 100K without any OT.

Myself, I don't know, I did pretty good, I'm happy with my choice
Quit college after 1 semester, figured it was a waste of time and money.
Went to a tech school, went into the trades (Tool & Die) ended up owning my own business, sold it and retired at 50.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:02 PM

I agree with this.

College is a waste of money and time for most of the degrees, only ones worth anything are in the STEM fields.

Another advantage of the trades is its easy to start your own business and or do moonlighting depending upon your field.

As far the Military my Son who just got done with 20 in the Navy says the same thing, its becoming a joke.

No matter which way one goes the secret to doing well is not as much as what you do but how you do it. Put your hours in, watch and learn form others while keeping your trap shut, always try to do better, admit your mistakes freely and be willing to do more.
Your investing in yourself, if your current job doesn't pan out quit and change jobs, leave on good terms.
Bosses, workers and customers talk to each other, if your a stand up guy the word gets out, will always have people willing to hire you.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D

My son retired after 20 years last summer.
He gets a pension, health care is covered and he just signed up for GI bill.
Started a electrician apprenticeship last summer.
Between all his benefits and pay he'll be pulling down close to 100K without any OT.

Myself, I don't know, I did pretty good, I'm happy with my choice
Quit college after 1 semester, figured it was a waste of time and money.
Went to a tech school, went into the trades (Tool & Die) ended up owning my own business, sold it and retired at 50.

Jeez I'd Say!!! Congratulations
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:14 PM

I would also consider very seriously doing what Wolfie is doing , the river boats particularly if I had no interest in kids.

work when at work and find a place to call home base when not on the boat where I could do the things I wanted.

shoot ,hunt, fish.
Posted By: 30-06 Trapper

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:40 PM

I would become a gun designer with my last name being thompson and the thompson machine gun patent up I think I can make a new line of thompson guns for the military
Posted By: Gulo

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:51 PM

The American Dream. Most of the discussion above centers on making big money. I am surprised at this. We all profess to a wish for a good life, and yes, it does include making money. But, honestly, would you be happy having a boring, no-excitement job for 20-30 years, or would you rather look back with good memories? To me, it was worth the meager paycheck to jump in the plane or the boat every day, work the extra 4 hours for no pay 'cause it was fun, put in that weekend for no pay 'cause it was exciting, live a life of memories? I can honestly say that I looked forward to each and every day; work that I loved. I was on a 20-year retirement, 'cause the mortality rate was so high (airplane/helicopter crashes). I worked 27 years (7 years past what I needed) and can honestly say I looked forward to every day I was at work.

Jack
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:53 PM

My dad always told me I had 2 choices , 1 go to college and be a professional ( DR, Lawer, Nurse) something that absolutely needs a degree and people can't live without, Or be a service provider (trades) that the professionals can't live without ie. heating and air tec, auto repair, plumber etc.

So I became a cowboy lol

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 02:54 PM

Couldnt agree with you more Gulo.
If you do what you enjoy the money seems to pile up anyway.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 04:19 PM

I agree with this.

College is a waste of money and time for most of the degrees, only ones worth anything are in the STEM fields.

Another advantage of the trades is its easy to start your own business and or do moonlighting depending upon your field.

As far the Military my Son who just got done with 20 in the Navy says the same thing, its becoming a joke.

No matter which way one goes the secret to doing well is not as much as what you do but how you do it. Put your hours in, watch and learn form others while keeping your trap shut, always try to do better, admit your mistakes freely and be willing to do more.
Your investing in yourself, if your current job doesn't pan out quit and change jobs, leave on good terms.
Bosses, workers and customers talk to each other, if your a stand up guy the word gets out, will always have people willing to hire you.

Well my 28 year old son got a degree in Business Management/Sales, he has made over $100K every year and will make roughly $300K this year IF he does next to nothing the rest of the year. This influx is due to a big Ford
project so he'll be back to his measley $150K again. He sells dock equipment for Arbon/Right Height. My 30 year old daughter got her degree in Business Management/HR (like her mom) and is now in charge of HR, Benefits and
Payroll at Carter Lumber. She makes roughly $120K a year plus gets 4 lump bonuses which are roughly $10-$15K each. She is on their stock plan where she has to contribute nothing and is estimated to be worth several million
when she retires. We live 20 minutes from Akron University so I told them both we'll pay half their tuition but if they want to live on campus thats all on them. They both graduated with less than $20K debt. SO I would be very hesitant
to say college is a waste of money. But I get you that there are many degrees that I wouldn't have let my kids go after?
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 05:23 PM

Back in 86 or 87 an AM country radio station had Earl Pitts American on every day and he had a lot of fun with yuppies who bought water in a bottle when it was free from the tap.

I should have invested a couple of grand in one of the companies doing it. Probably be worth millions now.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 05:30 PM

Very good responses!
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 05:42 PM

Wouldn't change a thing, I'm a retired Army officer, working toward my second pension. Wife and kids are healthy and happy and I've got no worries. Couldn't ask for anything else

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 06:01 PM

One thing I would do different is buy a bunch of Microsoft stock when it was initially offered in '86 instead of spending entirely too much money on cars.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 06:10 PM

Trade school no college

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by bass10

Well my 28 year old son got a degree in Business Management/Sales, he has made over $100K every year and will make roughly $300K this year IF he does next to nothing the rest of the year. This influx is due to a big Ford
project so he'll be back to his measley $150K again. He sells dock equipment for Arbon/Right Height. My 30 year old daughter got her degree in Business Management/HR (like her mom) and is now in charge of HR, Benefits and
Payroll at Carter Lumber. She makes roughly $120K a year plus gets 4 lump bonuses which are roughly $10-$15K each. She is on their stock plan where she has to contribute nothing and is estimated to be worth several million
when she retires. We live 20 minutes from Akron University so I told them both we'll pay half their tuition but if they want to live on campus thats all on them. They both graduated with less than $20K debt. SO I would be very hesitant
to say college is a waste of money. But I get you that there are many degrees that I wouldn't have let my kids go after?

Very good for your kids. The average for Business management degrees is alot less than what your kids are making.
I suspect your kids are go getters and that has more to do with what they make then the degree. More often than not the degree gets them in the door, After that its on the individuals. I suspect your kids are well above average.

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by bass10

Very good for your kids. The average for Business management degrees is alot less than what your kids are making.
I suspect your kids are go getters and that has more to do with what they make then the degree. More often than not the degree gets them in the door, After that its on the individuals. I suspect your kids are well above average.

Well you are right there. One of my best friends son graduated from Ohio State University with a degree in videography. He bragged how he graduated in 3 years (took college classes in HS). I don't ask much about him as its a sore
subject with him but last I checked he was still living in moms house delivering pizzas at age 27. On the other hand there may be cases of kids doing really well with that degree??
Posted By: Posco

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 06:45 PM

Regrets, I have a few. I'd love to relive the years I was raising my kids. I love them and they love me but I wouldn't miss a thing involving them.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 06:58 PM

I would of left out NY as soon as I quit working, always try to look ahead. I feel that my mistakes helped to form me into the wonderful person I am today!!!?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 07:38 PM

If I was going to live forever....sure ..

I would have chose a different path.

But...we don't live forever....and wouldn't change a thing

Got to see both my sons baseball games...soccer games...4H Fairs... everything...

Because I wasn't working for the man.

Seen plenty of my friends sacrifice family for the all mighty dollar..

Work 60 hours per week....then Drop dead at 63...and nevah enjoyed anything.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 07:50 PM

Why be the richest man in the cemetery ?
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/10/24 08:40 PM

The title reminds me of the Robert Frost poem, "The Road Not Taken".
I would do a total reversal of what I did after I graduated high school.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: If you could do it all over again...? - 04/11/24 02:04 AM

Join the coast guard at 18. Do 20 years and “retire” at age 38. Start another career , don’t really need benefits because you have the option to purchase them back from the CG reasonable . Two of my friends did this and both live very successful lives.

I have no regrets. Studied wildlife and fisheries management at WVU for 4 years, graduated then decided to farm on our families grain operation alongside my uncle and grandfather.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums