Home

lighting up the fur shed

Posted By: That.darn.coon

lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 09:44 PM

What lights do you guys use for the fur shed inside
Posted By: Trappin Arkansas

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 09:48 PM

I use Solar powered LED lights motion detected around 65 bucks on amazon for 2 pk 36 inch lights
Posted By: newfox1

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 09:54 PM

I have floresents, and one led shop light, I think I’m going to change to all led. They are bright.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 10:43 PM

If lights inside how do you get sun to charge up lights unless you take out of shed into sunlight. If so sounds like a bit of hassle
Posted By: Trappin Arkansas

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 10:58 PM

They come with solar panel for each light and a 18 foot cable that attaches to the light from the solar panels just instal lights and solar panel and attach wires
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 11:03 PM

Florescent lights for me. Tried two different LED lights and both quit working within 6 months. Not sure why, but maybe because my barn isn't heated
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 11:37 PM

I put LED tubes in my new wood shop four years ago. I used double four-foot fixtures and 5,000K tubes. I was shooting for 100 lumens per square foot and ended up at 97. It is very bright in there, very little task lighting needed. I'm in that shop about every day, often times all day. I bought good quality, 50,000-hour lights. they were expensive. So far no issues except static on my AM radio.

I'm going to use the same in my new fur shed/summer kitchen.

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 11:39 PM

Turtledale, I have the same lights I described above on the back porch of my wood shop. They are still working after four years.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/14/24 11:54 PM

5 - 4 ft leds fixtures and leds lamps in the ceiling fans .
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 12:28 AM

LED lights for sure. I have a led shop light and a led folding four panel light. Plenty of light now.
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 01:27 AM

LED's. 2 in the corner sockets and a 4 footer over the skinning table. In the past I had less and softer light, now the place is lit like an operating room. Having better lighting makes work more enjoyable and less fatiguing
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 01:33 AM

The UFO style 15,000 Lumen LED lights that you can get off of Amazon. We only have 6 in an 80' x 24' building as it is very bright in there. I am going to change all work area lights over to them as time and resources permit. The older my eyes get the more light I need to work comfortably.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 09:25 AM

I've got 12 -4 foot led light.
Posted By: EdP

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 11:39 AM

I rewired a lot of the fluorescent fixtures in my horse barn to use the LED tubes. It involved removing the ballast and was quite simple. Now my lights work regardless of temperature whereas the fluorescents would not work when cold.
Posted By: jk

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 12:46 PM

Edp and finally you dont have to buy anything to do this, use your old fixture and throw away the ballast. You are done......jk

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 07:00 PM

Lugnut, what brand LED light did you mount outside? I don't mind paying the extra money for something of quality
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 08:37 PM

Led is the way to go, so much more light for the electric usage.

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Lugnut, what brand LED light did you mount outside? I don't mind paying the extra money for something of quality

I used Euri Lighting 4 ft. T8 LED Tubes - 2100 Lumens - 15W - 5000 Kelvin - 120-277V.

I installed them in PLT Solutions non-shunted, direct-wire, LED strip fixtures. Each fixture holds two 4 ft. T8's

At the time the tubes were $8.99 a piece and the fixtures were $12.99 each. That was five years ago. I'm sure prices have increased since then.

I ordered everything online from 1000 Bulbs in Texas. I got a dozen fixtures and twenty-four tubes. Shipping was salty.

I am very pleased with them. No problems in five-plus years. I can't tell you how many times I've smacked them moving the loft ladder around or flipping long work pieces (even though I purposely built high ceilings to avoid that). Those plastic tubes are durable!. Fluorescents would have given me a glass shower a dozen times.

As I mentioned in my other post, the outside lights don't seem to mind the temperature extremes.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/15/24 11:23 PM

Two double four foot lights with hoods ECT. Free at my local dump at the take and leave section.
Posted By: obaugh

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/16/24 12:02 AM

Inverter for DeWalt batteries on Amazon, and LED bar lights

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/16/24 09:12 AM

Thanks Lugnut
Posted By: trapdye

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/16/24 09:40 AM

Been using LED shop lights from Harbor Freight, five years & still going.

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/16/24 10:28 AM

You're welcome Turtledale.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: lighting up the fur shed - 04/17/24 11:41 AM

I put up porcelain fixtures and "daylight" 27W (100W equivalent) screw in bulbs all around on the posts. I split the room and put 1/2 on one switch and the other half on another switch. It worked good enough to see around the barn but not bright enough for me to change my breaks. Maybe would have been bright enough but there were shadows since they were wall mounted and the lights on the other wall were on the other side of the car. Then I went with a high bay LED fixture (14' ceiling) I could get for cheap at the supply house. I laid them out in that pattern and split them up with two more switches. Plenty bright in there now but I can just flip one of the first switches on just to go in and grab something if I want.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums