Home

Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th

Posted By: k snow

Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/25/24 06:38 PM

Looks like the wife and I will be driving though the area and have the day to spend there. Any ideas on what to do/see? I realize the holiday may interfere with some things. We like parks, museums, hiking trails.

Or any other ideas for a half way point between Chadron, NE and Green Bay, WI?
Posted By: 30-06 Trapper

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/25/24 06:42 PM

mount Rushmore railroad museum helicopter mt rushmoor dino museum, black hills, sturgis, devils tower, badlands...
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 12:56 AM

I'd stop about half way between Chadron and Sioux Falls and take in a little prairie dog shootin'!

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I'd stop about half way between Chadron and Sioux Falls and take in a little prairie dog shootin'!

That sounds tempting, but the wife is gonna need something to do.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by k snow
Originally Posted by trapperkeck

That sounds tempting, but the wife is gonna need something to do.

Reload?
Posted By: Tray

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 01:33 AM

I like to hike Newton Hills state park which is 25 miles south of SIoux Falls. Would want to do so early morning before it gets too hot.
Pallisades state park in a cool area as well.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 02:18 AM

Sioux Falls has Falls park
Posted By: DWC

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 04:01 AM

I would hug the NE/SD state line for a scenic drive and look around or even stay in Yankton. There is a latge state park that has hiking to the far western edge. Newton Hills by Canton is a pretty neat place, largest section of timber on this side of the state, at least it appears to be from Google maps. Falls Park in Sioux Falls is kinda cool, but not much else to do for hiking/history. Palisades state park, by Garretson, as previously mentioned, is a neat spot. A mile or so away in Garretson is Devils Gulch. Supposedly there’s no bottom to it and Jesse James is to have made an impossible jump over it to get away from a posse.

Assuming youre doing the Fur Trader Museum in Chadron? The state park south of Chadron is great.
Posted By: Osagan

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 04:14 AM

X2 on Fur Trader Museum in Chardon. LOTS of history there. Take your camera.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 05:48 AM

LOL,,,, just dont park were you are not allowed.

We have been running 3 tow trucks there for 20 years for the 4th and for sturgues.......Paid for the trucks every year....almost..

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/26/24 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
I would hug the NE/SD state line for a scenic drive and look around or even stay in Yankton. There is a latge state park that has hiking to the far western edge. Newton Hills by Canton is a pretty neat place, largest section of timber on this side of the state, at least it appears to be from Google maps. Falls Park in Sioux Falls is kinda cool, but not much else to do for hiking/history. Palisades state park, by Garretson, as previously mentioned, is a neat spot. A mile or so away in Garretson is Devils Gulch. Supposedly there’s no bottom to it and Jesse James is to have made an impossible jump over it to get away from a posse.

Assuming youre doing the Fur Trader Museum in Chadron? The state park south of Chadron is great.

Yep, doing the museum. We are swinging that way coming home from a family reunion in Pueblo, CO. We are stopping in Cody and Pinedale on the way out.

I'll look into Yankton.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Sioux Falls, SD, July 4th - 04/27/24 05:48 AM

I'll check out if any Sioux Falls museums will be open on July 4th but probably not. You could walk around the outside part of the USS South Dakota (BB-57) park after checking out the Falls. The inner part of the museum will probably be closed but the ship's outline and pieces of 16 inch cannons (and 5 inch) will be touchable.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums