Home

Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves

Posted By: Gulo

Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 01:59 PM

Haven't done a Photo Phridy on wolves in about a year. It's time. Usually, I'm well into my trapping season for wolves to get them collared, but am not doing it this year. Here's some random shots trapping and collaring wolves in north Idaho. Adventures never cease.

This is Gusto, my Hangin' Tree Cow Dog, in training. He turned out to be a wonderful help at locating trapped wolves. Can't be without him any more.
[Linked Image]

Mid-June late snowstorm in the high country. Imagine tracking a trapped wolf through this crap that was caught the night before the storm.
[Linked Image]

Gusto finally found him and we got him collared and released.
[Linked Image]

This is a rancher using fladry to try and protect his herd out of Halfway, Oregon.
[Linked Image]

This is a big, old male from the Clearwater.
[Linked Image]

This is looking for trap locations. Usually, the sign isn't so obvious. I might drive 500 miles of back roads looking for sign before setting a single trap.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hickoryridge

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 02:18 PM

good stuff . . really enjoy your pictures
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 03:03 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Robert Martin

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
This is a rancher using fladry to try and protect his herd out of Halfway, Oregon.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pictures. Do you think that fladry works?
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 04:27 PM

Here in Wis the Feds use flaging, lights that go on when a collared wolf comes near and music.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 04:35 PM

Very nice.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Martin
Originally Posted by Gulo
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the pictures. Do you think that fladry works?

What is Fladry?

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/26/24 08:31 PM

Fladry is the hanging tape, flags, whatever, around stock. Seems to work when first put in place. After two weeks, no, it loses it's effectiveness on wolves. They seem to get used to it. Same as putting up cameras. I don't care what kind of "stealth" camera you use, wolves (some of them) will avoid it for two weeks. Once they are used to it, you start getting images.

Jack
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 01:08 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here’s some pics from this winter’s predator control plan. Southern side of Alaska Range. Land and shoot from a small plane. This area has really well furred wolves.
Gulo, got any pics of follicular displasia? Maybe white does. Interior Alaska is having a bad problem with it!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 01:40 AM

With all do RESPECT of what you do/ have done in your career Jack, I find capturing / collaring animals for " research" is a tremendous waste of $$/ time.

At least now days.

Wolves/ bear are gonna go where the food is....
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 02:04 AM

3 Wolf skulls I just finished up today. 1 male and 2 females.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 02:09 AM

Good job JP.

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
With all do RESPECT of what you do/ have done in your career Jack, I find capturing / collaring animals for " research" is a tremendous waste of $$/ time.

At least now days.

Wolves/ bear are gonna go where the food is....

I wholeheartily disagree, b & b. To maintain both trapping and hunting seasons in Idaho, the Feds made us "guarantee" there were at least 20 pairs of wolves that were successful at raising litters (that is, brought at least two pups to 1 January). This was only possible to tell by radio-collaring pack members and following them 'til the new year. After de-listing, we were only able to keep our seasons open by collaring and monitoring the productivity and survival of litters.

I will agree with you that radio-collaring is used way too often for wasteful purposes.

Jack

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 12:00 PM

Those skulls are absolutely beautiful, JP. Kudos!

Jack
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 12:44 PM

Calendar worthy pics there Gulo!
Nice skulls JP. I sold mine to a taxi.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Photo Phriday 133 - Wolves - 04/27/24 03:38 PM

Those skulls are beautiful. Like carved and polished ivory.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums