Home

Ground Hogs... Yuuk!

Posted By: Actor

Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 05:34 PM

A friend of mine is a city fire fighter, in the town I live. He stopped by the other day and asked if I could trap some nuisance ground hogs. They have an older station that is only used for storage of misc. equipment and supplies. The building is at the edge of town with no occupants. He told me at the rear of the build right next to the wall there are several ground hog holes and several have been observed.

So, I went out the other day and found within about 15 feet, three holes that appeared to being used. My usual M.O. is to fill in the openings to see which holes are being used. The next day I checked... and all three holes were opened up. Since Ohio doesn't permit the use of #220 BGs on land at such holes, I would either have to try and lure them into live traps or use #120 BGs. I decided the #120s would be better since they have a lower profile and less likely to be stolen.

I set 2 - #120s and 1 - round BG, that measures about 5.5" in diameter w/ double springs. I have used this trap to catch coon, muskrats and mink. So, figure if I could get the groundhog to stick his head through the loop I would have him. The round trap fit perfectly with one spring up and the other spring down.

Well, this morning, I went to check them and... I had a perfect catch... right behind the head, around the neck. It appeared to have been a quick catch. The animal didn't even get completely out of the hole.

[Linked Image]

I stuffed the carcass down the hole and filled it in. I don't know if there are others in the other holes or not but will give it a couple more days.

Now, the other part is what kind of trap is the round trap I have? The specs don't correspond with those of the RBG. I can't find any markings on it. I got the trap at the 2009 NTA convention at Lima, Ohio. The dog has only one notch, it has a cable, not a chain, double springs and round metal safety hooks, not flat like RBG. They are great traps for odd, shaped situations.

Any ideas???

Garry-
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 06:58 PM

My RGB from Nick in Holland Indiana have cable not a chain just like that.

I like snares and RGB a lot for groundhog.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 06:58 PM

I think Bill Crum was making a round BG before he sold it to RBG.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

Bill Crum originated RBGs. That was the name he marketed them under. I believe he sold the whole company, name and all.

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Bill Crum originated RBGs. That was the name he marketed them under. I believe he sold the whole company, name and all.

Yeah but the company was called CTM before the sale
Posted By: Actor

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 09:52 PM

Do you know if Crum was at Lima in 2009, Sniper? That name rings a bell and so does the CTM.

Garry-
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 10:20 PM

Good job. Looks like it was quick for the little devil.

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Actor

Do you know if Crum was at Lima in 2009, Sniper? That name rings a bell and so does the CTM.

Garry-

Im pretty sure he was there.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 11:40 PM

All the conventions from back then tend to run together a bit these days but I think I remember Bill and Amy being there with some wicked cherries in a mason jar, lol.
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Ground Hogs... Yuuk! - 05/19/24 11:51 PM

I've caught 46 of them in the past 8 years on my 1/4 acre property. Got tired of them eating my veggies. Got a hole under my back deck next to my foundation that I'm also trapping at. Have caught possums and skunks going in and out of that one too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums