Home

Fleshing Beam Questions

Posted By: ecgreen

Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/11/08 09:11 PM

Here they are:

1. Do they have to be made from hardwood? can I just use a regular 2x8?

2. Related to the first question. What about cleaning? HOw do you clean them and how often.
Posted By: SaskCantrapper

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/11/08 09:53 PM

I just used a regular 2x8, narrowed the top for the head area and routered the edges to make them round.

Then I mixed up a batch of fiberglass resin and gave it 2 coats.

Cleans up very easily and will last a long time.

Brandon
Posted By: westtrapper

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/12/08 12:31 AM

saskcan were abouts to you live in saskatchewan??
Posted By: itrapny

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/12/08 01:15 AM

Hardwood boards will last a lifetime, a pine 2X8 is a bit soft but will work in a pinch. As beforementioned, shape with a saw and then use a plane or drawshave and sandpeper to finish. By the time you buy the board & put the work into it, you may be better off just buying a finished hardwood board.
Posted By: Trapliner

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/12/08 01:36 AM

Your fleshing knife will dig into the softer wood when you scrape off the edge of the pelt, after doing that several times you will have some deep gouges that will make you cut thru some of your skins, ben there and done that.
This year i built one uot of 4 inch pvc pipe and if it does'nt work I will go back to my oak beam.
Posted By: Trapper Knox

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/12/08 01:39 AM

What are the measurements for a fleshing beam to fit a coyote?
Posted By: Pete

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/12/08 01:39 AM

If you can find an old 2x8 fir plank it will work very well. You will want to make sure that it fits you properly, meaning it is the right height. I have made mine adjustable for when I am instructing courses so it will fit everyone in the class. When shaping the beam try to get you beam to match the curve of your fleshing knife. It will make fleshing all that much easier.
Posted By: Trapper Knox

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/12/08 01:45 AM

That's all I need to know thanks!
Posted By: SaskCantrapper

Re: Fleshing Beam Questions - 10/12/08 04:07 PM

westtrapper, 40 mins. south of Moose Jaw in the town of Mossbank.
© 2021 Trapperman Forums