Home

Sask Trapping

Posted By: Jasonj

Sask Trapping - 09/27/15 02:52 AM

I thought I'd start a thread detailing this seasons trapline starting with a few pics of the new cabin. I had to move several miles from my other cabin due to a massive plough wind that cut off all access to it.

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/27/15 04:29 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/27/15 04:37 AM

Here's a few more

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/27/15 04:39 AM

Posted By: g smith

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/28/15 01:46 AM

Thanks Jason, what is your main species that you target in that area.

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/28/15 02:22 AM

I have a bit of everything except wolverine. My bread and butter is marten fisher and Lynx but I do set for everything.

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/29/15 08:27 PM

Couple pics I took by cabin other day. Can't wait for season
Posted By: beaver trapper

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/29/15 10:22 PM

Very cool. Do you do much beaver trapping?

Alex

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/29/15 10:38 PM

Yes even with the low prices beaver are vital to my trapline success. Best bait for everything plus I make and use castor lure for all sets as well. Our season starts Oct 1 but I'm gonna try and wait a week or so let them fur up a bit more.

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/30/15 03:04 AM

Hope I'm not to nosey but are you north of the big river (Sask.)Nice looking country

Re: Sask Trapping - 09/30/15 03:20 AM

Yeah you bet Smith up in north central Saskatchewan. All lakes and heavy boreal forest and lotsa muskeg. Very similar to what you saw around Cumberland House.

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/01/15 01:45 AM

Looked like great fur country! Enjoy it BEFORE you get too old and crumpy !
Posted By: Trapfever

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/01/15 02:00 AM

Hey Jason, great job on the cabin, good luck this season!

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/01/15 03:19 AM

Thanks fever I just got down from cabin trying to get inside done before I start beaver trapping. Seems to be lots of fur around this year. Just before I was leaving I took a walk to the beach and suprised a lynx. We just looked at each other for at least 5 min and then he walked off. Was truly a special encounter.
Posted By: Trapfever

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/01/15 06:38 PM

LOL...so you were both eyeing each other up! And you prob didn't have your camera with you right?

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/13/15 12:41 AM

So been taking a few yotes off my farm last week to thin out the varmits. Then went up this weekend to try and get the sheeting finished in new cabin an the stove hooked up then hope to start on some rats and beaver as well as get a moose.

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/13/15 12:42 AM

Posted By: Klemke

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/13/15 02:13 AM

Keep the pictures and story going. Please

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/13/15 03:01 AM

Jason the coyote looks to be a nice pale one .Great going hope you get all set before weather sets in.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/13/15 03:35 AM

Nice looking area Jason! Cabin is very nice!
Posted By: Hiline Bob

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/13/15 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Klemke
Keep the pictures and story going. Please

x2!

Thanks for sharing. cool

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/23/15 07:57 PM

So we couldn't find a bull that wanted to come to the call on my son and I moose hunt. But it was time well spent and we still have late season so maybe then. Lots of grouse though. Now it's time to set out the muskrat and beaver floats on the bay. Was a little choppy this morning but unreal warm out still. Barely freezing at night I hope this doesn't last as we need a good freeze up.

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/23/15 07:59 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/23/15 07:59 PM

Posted By: The Spruce

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/23/15 08:53 PM

Awesome, I will start with a tarp or 2 tonight and then full bore next week! Best of luck

Spruce
Posted By: saskamusher

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/23/15 09:25 PM

looking good Jason wich lake u on

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/24/15 02:08 AM

Hey Sask I'm on Stoney Lake (Delaronde)

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/24/15 02:15 AM

Thanks. Have a good season yourself Spruce.

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/24/15 02:43 AM

that's a great lake Jason no shortage of fish to smoke ...do u have problems with geese and loons landing on ur floats

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/24/15 03:38 AM

No I don't have much trouble with ducks and geese on the lake. I've seen it happen more often in spring on sloughs and dugouts though for some reason.
Posted By: Rick Otts

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/24/15 11:49 PM

Nice looking cabin I sure miss going up there when I drove truck.I always seen big deer.Good luck this year.

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/25/15 09:45 PM

Nothing better than when a fellows kids wanna come out trapping on the line. And yes he helps in the skinning shed too!
Posted By: lorne

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/26/15 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Jasonj

Nothing better than when a fellows kids wanna come out trapping on the line. And yes he helps in the skinning shed too!

that's awesome smile
Posted By: Hiline Bob

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/27/15 05:48 PM

Nice job on the rats!

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/28/15 02:20 AM

A priceless blessing to have your son along !

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/30/15 04:36 PM

I know this is my trapping thread but thought you might be interested in the whitetail I'm pursuing......

Re: Sask Trapping - 10/31/15 03:47 AM

He's a whopper.
Posted By: dirt&water

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/01/15 01:23 AM

Jason nice cabin. If that boat load of floats all fill up you better have another boat for the carcass's. Great too see the younguns out with ya. Really nice buck. thanks for your thread. IF it has to do with the outdoors please post it. GOD BLESS

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/01/15 04:11 PM

that's nice deer Jason . years ago I logged on the meetoose that was nice country with incredible wood ,back in the bodman days , does anyone trap that country from chiteck north to the meetoose or is it just laying vacant like a lot of country

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/01/15 08:06 PM

Hey Saska unfortunately your right most of that country is not being trapped at all. It's a real shame. That is a native group block over there and it seems like none of their young people are interested and many of the old people are gone. Very beautiful country indeed and lots of fisher on them ridges. In my area north east of there we have individual lines and a good group of active trappers both old and young which is good to see. I think all trappers with lines should have to be active fur harvesters/managers or someone who will be should be put in.

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/01/15 10:18 PM

that is a shame there are millions of square miles of traplines like that , most native blocks arnt trapped . I did enjoy logging in that area tho

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/23/15 12:59 AM

So I've been busy trapping beavers and cutting trail and doing camp work. I've been waiting and waiting for normal weather to set in to start laying out lines. By normal I mean cold and snow. But unfortunately it looks like it's going to be crazy warm going forward do I started putting out marten sets where I can get to. Checked seven sets today and got two which look not bad at all. Headed north again tomorrow and gonna go hard. As u see in one pic we had some cool nights and the bay's are frozen over. I guess skidoo will stay in shed and its quading for foreseeable future

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/23/15 01:03 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/23/15 01:04 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/23/15 01:05 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/23/15 07:46 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/23/15 07:50 PM

A couple of k9's picked up using power Rams set in precut trails leading to a piece of hide smeared with snare paste bait. Ok I will check back in a few days.

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/23/15 10:08 PM

looking good Jason hows the marten look im scared to set up marten line thinking there going to grade as light weights , how heavy were the ones u caught

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/24/15 04:12 AM

Great looking fur Jason.

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 12:40 AM

Hi saskamusher hows it going? The marten I've caught so far are looking good and will all grade semi heavy or better. I find late November is usually a good time to start as they are very active and they still grade well in my area. I've started to get a few fisher as well and they are looking great.

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 12:41 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 02:11 AM

right on Jason nice fisher guess I better head into the bush and take my chances im hoping to leave Friday night or I ll be hear till spring waiting for winter ha ha

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 02:20 AM

Yeah with the weather we are having winter might never come. Have a good safe season saskamusher.

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 03:36 AM

thanks u2
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 08:16 AM

Way to go!

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 09:55 PM

Some vintage trapping technology To bring back memories for some of our more veteran trappers

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 09:57 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/26/15 09:58 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/29/15 08:55 PM

Just got back from the Maria Creek section of my line. Brought my oldest boy along as he has a break from hockey this weekend. He's 6'2" and 14 years old. Seems like yesterday he was just a little boy sitting in front of me on skidoo checking traps. Enjoy every second you can with your children outdoors.......

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/29/15 08:58 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/29/15 10:30 PM

Looks like he had a good time running with you! Congrats on the fur!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/30/15 02:04 AM

Looks like some of Mel's design boxes in use.
Have a good season

Re: Sask Trapping - 11/30/15 02:20 AM

Your absolutely right! I got a couple off Mel at the rendezvous a few years back and liked them so much I've kept building same design.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/03/15 04:55 PM

So just came down from line. Had to cut trip short as I got a stomach flu like you can't imagine. The big lake has frozen over with no snow on it creating some of the most amazing scenery u can imagine. Truly the reason this place keeps calling me back.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/03/15 04:58 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/03/15 04:59 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/03/15 05:01 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/04/15 12:16 AM

A Blessing to be able to enjoy that !

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/08/15 11:50 PM

So been back on line picked up 5 marten and a couple yotes. Last time I was up I set 4 urine post sets and got first wolf of season. He was pretty fresh catch early this morning. I never picked up anything in my perimeter snares but if he'd been there longer I think I would have. I'm sure he's Alpha cause he's a beast. For reference I'm 6'4 275 lb. Sorry no field photos this time camera died and no charger.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/08/15 11:58 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 12:06 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 12:25 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 12:53 AM

Because of our major lack of snow the wolves aren't trailing at all. Usually by this time of year they have some pretty established trails to hang snares. Anyone have any ideas on snaring wolves with little to no snow?

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 01:23 AM

Way to go! That is a nice looking one! Love the trapper parking sign to!

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 03:03 AM

Lol thanks HFT. I just got the bark off him. 64" from nose to base tail.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 05:07 AM

Good job ! That's a big dog .

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 05:35 PM

Throw out some chunks of beaver on a known travel line, and a bunch more in the bush. Set openings going to the "chunks", and a few to get any circlers. Like a mini bait. Same conditions here, can't tell where they are travelling at all. Even worse for Lynx.

Spruce

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/15 11:09 PM

Thanks Spruce I'll give er a try. I never got any road kills yet for my big baits which works great for me. I will have to go for the beaver chunks. Have u ever tried spreading dog food? It works great for yotes throw it around bait station when I'm low on scraps

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/15 10:26 PM

Hi all I've been super busy getting fur ready which I shipped Monday. Coyotes are rolling in. I've been getting fish waste from commercial fishermen so that helps the bait stations. Marten are steady to so that's good. Fisher have been slow. I've spent last couple days setting up for Lynx so tomorrow will be first check. Hoping for the best.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/15 10:28 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/15 10:31 PM

A huge yote

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/15 10:32 PM

Probably the blackest yote I've ever seen in my neck of the woods

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/15 10:38 PM

Some big timber country on my line

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/15 10:40 PM

Hope some of these hold cats tomorrow
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/18/15 02:01 AM

Thanks Jason for sharing your trapline with us! The photos are excellent as well!

chris

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/18/15 02:18 AM

Thanks for that Hodagtrapper I will try and keep em coming!

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/19/15 09:29 PM

We do father and daughter bonding time a little different than most....... We had a fun trip checking snares today. My girl loves the trapline we picked up a couple

Posted By: Krause

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/21/15 09:27 PM

We do father and daughter bonding time a little different than most....... We had a fun trip checking snares today. My girl loves the trapline we picked up a couple

Father daughter bonding time done right!!! I got my first little one due in may, looking forward to bringing him/her trapping!!
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/15 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Krause

Father daughter bonding time done right!!! I got my first little one due in may, looking forward to bringing him/her trapping!!

So your having twins!! smile

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/26/15 02:10 PM

hope everyone had a blessed Christmas. We spent some time last couple days trying to get some fur put up as I've just been rolling off pelts and freezing them. Now family and I are headed to cabin for rest of holidays for our New Years family trapline trip!!

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/26/15 02:12 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/26/15 02:23 PM

11 year old asked for a new skinning knife for Xmas and snowshoes. No vid games here lol
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/26/15 07:35 PM

Nice catches, thanks for sharing, keep it up and have a safe trip with the family over the New years.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 12:13 AM

Happy New Year I sure hope everyone had a good one and your traps were full. We had a great time on line we caught some fur did some fishin and played a lot of cribbage in the evening. I'm having a terrible time with walk byes at my Lynx cubbies this year so I guess it's time to really diversify and show them a little bit of everything. On the plus the coyotes are rolling in and marten and fisher have picked up in this mild spell. Does anyone have a theory on whether this huge lack of snow might effect Lynx and them comitting to cubbies?

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 12:15 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 12:16 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 12:46 AM

Not quite the Disney version of what happens in nature. Hope I don't get to many like this
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 12:50 AM

awesome pics
Posted By: Hankit

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 01:18 AM

Looks like a fun time.
I usually get walk bys in cubbies when the rabbit population is just coming back. So I add trail sets or snares right by the cubbies. Also a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) post or lure post works good when they are walking by cubbies.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 01:52 AM

Thanks Hankit that could be it as rabbits r just coming back here. I have a couple snares by every cubby but I will try a trail snare close by each cubby. We only have 3 inch of snow and as of yet the cats don't seem to be follow my trails. Their just wandering aimlessly lol. I'm gonna get some Lynx urine and try the posts too. Ty
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/16 05:54 AM

+1 for pee post.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/16 10:22 PM

Well I been pulling marten and fisher sets as I check them still catching a few as I go. The rabbit population has really crashed so I'm also gonna pull my cat sets. I spent some time at cabin and just enjoying winter. Set some fresh wolf sign the other day at a bait and was rewarded today. My friend came along for the trip and we left after a couple extra cups of coffee trying to let things warm up as it was -35c with wind. Caught a large male we weighed at 105 lbs but he is the most unique colour I've ever got. He's different tinge of blue and white throughout.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/16 10:22 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/16 10:24 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/16 10:25 PM

Posted By: takotna

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/16 10:28 PM

LCool looking wold!
Posted By: Dale Torma

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/16 11:38 PM

Nice wolf!
I'm really enjoying your posts, that scenery is awesome too!

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/16 01:42 AM

jason that is a a nice wolf u better make him into some long jons for next winter

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/16 04:35 AM

Nice Wolf Jason
Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/16 04:38 AM

Great wolf
Posted By: Akmike84

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/16 06:13 AM

That wolf is definitely a blue and will fetch very good money if handled properly. Definitely want to sell that one to a taxidermists, or better yet a rug for yourself. Most guys are fortunate to ever catch a blue wolf.
Mike

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/16 06:30 AM

Akmike84 I took my time with it and it's skinned for taxidermy and in freezer now. I'm very tempted to keep him for myself but might have to run it by the Sgt. Major lol

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/16 06:31 AM

Saskamusher....yeah I coulda used them long johns today

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/21/16 08:35 PM

Caught this black today. The pack had just killed a whitetail on my trail about a mile further up early this morning. I caught this one in a trail snare I had set the last time they came through. She failed to make a getaway this time lol

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/21/16 08:47 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/21/16 08:49 PM

Here's what's left of the deer
Posted By: TeamRedneck

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/22/16 12:12 AM

Hows the fur quality holding up? Looking lime I may finally have some time to set some wolf masters. If the hide isnt decent i dont think i would bother. Seen enough half haired coyotes for one year ...

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/22/16 02:18 AM

This one is a bit thin on the belly but the others have been good with no mite or mange. We've been lucky this year with well furred yotes also

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/02/16 05:37 PM

ive been moving pretty slow for the last week or so. I partially dislocated my knee when I was pulling a road kill into a wolf bait and damaged ligaments pretty bad. I spent about an hour sitting on skidoo before it popped back. Anyway I've been watching the auction and very happy with my coyotes and not so much about my rats. Marten sell today and got my fingers crossed. Weather has been crazy with above freezing temps and rain. I've pulled my wolf traps until weather returns to normal. Because of injury I didn't get all the fur put up that's in freezer so once again I won't have it all ready for last receiving date. I seem to do that every year.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/02/16 05:42 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/02/16 05:44 PM

That's a huge fisher that got into a lynx set and got caught in 2 snares both neck shots. I thought pretty neat

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/02/16 05:51 PM

A couple of real dark marten and some furs put up ready to ship

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/03/16 01:13 AM

looks good jason good snag on that fisher , personally those fisher irritate the out of me they seem to wreck every marten set they can before they finally get nailed , i got one right now on one line that is really begging for a beating .

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/16 08:57 PM

I was pretty bummed out over marten clearances yesterday on NAFA sale. My heavies sold but most my semi heavy never. We all knew things would be poor but it still sucks. Anyway I just got back from a great run on line had beautiful day and a dusting of fresh snow and despite prices I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. Caught the biggest darkest marten of my life today. Everything's good!!

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/16 09:02 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/16 09:03 PM

Decent fisher

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/16 09:07 PM

This is close up of the big marten. That's a 160 belisle to give perspective.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/16 09:41 PM

awesome, nice big marten too

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/05/16 01:58 AM

nice fisher jason and that marten looks black good to see some positive action .

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/18/16 09:03 PM

Haven't been keeping up with this post lately. Should have been taking more pics and posting but spent last couple days with my boy shutting down the north end of line since kids have the week off school. Always a bit sad when a fellow is closing it down but I hope to get out for a few beaver and otters yet. Anyway I snapped some pics yesterday and I might put up a couple from earlier.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/18/16 09:05 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/18/16 09:07 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/18/16 09:08 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/18/16 09:11 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/20/16 01:45 PM

great bunch of pics jason wont be long that boy is going to take that line over , hopefully he lets u hold a helpers licences lol , to keep ya in the loop
Posted By: nube

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/20/16 02:19 PM

Awesome pics
Posted By: danvee

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/20/16 09:05 PM

Great posts and pics what a variation of color in your marten? Nice to see your out with the kids and keeping them away from the TV and video games most of all keeping them healthy, active and teaching the the arts of the bush! Where are you at in Saskatchewan?? Been up there many times fishing lots of friends and always meet great people on my travels up that way.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/20/16 10:48 PM

Ya Saskamusher the boy would take the reigns right now if I let him lol.
danvee I get from orange to black marten on my line but I think that's pretty normal for Saskatchewan. Although I do have some black spruce muskeg country that produces mostly darks. I'm north of Big River in north central Sask.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/20/16 10:57 PM

Thnxs nube I really enjoy your posts!

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/21/16 12:29 AM

thats good to hear its good to keep it in the family , i made sure i had my wife and kids voted in as partners to save a legal pain in case i get bored and fall over dead the trapline is automatic theres

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/22/16 08:12 PM

Another black wolf. Real nice fur!!

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/22/16 08:15 PM

awesome
Posted By: Kusko

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/22/16 08:41 PM

Awesome is right!!
Posted By: bwhelz89

Re: Sask Trapping - 03/06/16 12:34 PM

This is awesome. the diversity of game up there has always peaked my interest...add in the bear and deer hunting and it might be enough to make the move..im sick of NY to begin with..again awesome job!

Re: Sask Trapping - 03/06/16 01:33 PM

top notch stuff jason i wish you would chaseat least one black one my way for breading stock surely u could spare one lol . have you started on your spring beavers in your area

Re: Sask Trapping - 07/14/16 03:04 PM

Hope everyone's been doing well and having a good summer. I haven't posted for long time as have been dealing with some medical stuff but thought I'd show a few pics to let you all know that we're still in the outdoors.

Re: Sask Trapping - 07/14/16 03:07 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 07/14/16 03:09 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 07/14/16 03:12 PM

last pics were boys from fire protection battling a fire behind my line cabin. Lighting strikes got th blowdown burning good. All trappers in the bush are thankful for the fire fighters! They hit it first with bombers then they started bucketting with chopper right in front of cabin. 2 minute turnaround!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Sask Trapping - 07/15/16 11:53 PM

Great pics,hope you get over your medical issues soon.

Re: Sask Trapping - 04/28/17 03:17 PM

Well it's been a challenging winter weather wise. We started out with more than a foot of snow in early October which knocked down thousands of trees on my trails and then alternated between very cold temps and thaws throughout the winter. Just part of trapping though. Everyone is healthy and I got to spend some time with the kids on the line. My youngest son also was able to get his fur license this year and did well for himself.

Re: Sask Trapping - 04/28/17 08:09 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 04/28/17 08:12 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 04/28/17 08:14 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 04/28/17 08:50 PM

Nice mix of fur and got to share it with your kids. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/17 03:20 PM

Ive been reading others journals and have been enjoying them so much I thought maybe I should try and keep a running journal again this year.I never took many photos during early season however I did some dirt hole trapping during our brief nice weather window. Also went beaver trapping and ended up with about 25.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/17 03:26 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/17 03:29 PM

My boy struggled carrying some of them flatails out lol

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/17 03:39 PM

After early season we cut alot of trails harvested some deer and some birds. We had a pretty good freeze up and I was able to get out on lakes fairly early with just enough snow to get around. Set out for marten and fisher mid november and just started to set out for lynx in early december. First lynx of year was eaten by her kittens overnight. I set snares less than 24 hours earlier....I hope its not going to be one of those years

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/17 03:46 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/17 03:58 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/09/17 04:00 PM

Here is something you don't wanna see after freeze up
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/16/17 01:22 AM

Nice pictures and catches

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/17 09:03 PM

I’ve never seen these warm of temperatures in December before , it’s been going above freezing for over a week. It’s also been raining which has my trails beat up something terrible. This warm weather has caused the fisher marten and mink to really move and investigate sets. Seems to have caused canine and lynx to shut down though or maybe I should say they have no reason to follow any trails because they can go anywhere with ease.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/17 10:01 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/17 10:15 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/17 10:18 PM

Son caught first raccoon we ever caught south on our farm in a fisher set.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/17/17 10:23 PM

Posted By: PmbnaTrpr

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/18/17 03:04 PM

Jason, was the raccoon caught in a box off the ground? Looks like you're having a good season!

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/18/17 03:12 PM

Pmbna yes it was a box on a leaning spruce about 5’ off ground, trap was a 160 Belisle. I have heard of a few coons just south of us being caught but this was our first one. They must be moving north with warming temperatures.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 02:33 PM

Came back from another good run got 1 fisher 5 marten a mink a coyote and some weasels. going to start pulling marten line soon so as to not over harvest.Still catching juveniles and males but also picked up a prime female which I don't like.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 02:36 PM

Some end of day chores when opening camp

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 02:39 PM

Thawing out the fur to get my traps off and wrap in newspaper then bag to transport down home

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 02:41 PM

Ghosts of trappers past....

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 02:43 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 02:45 PM

Here a pic I took of fur I was working on before I went on last trip

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 02:48 PM

lol looks like I was a little cross eyed on that one fisher tail. Anyway I would like to wish everyone a wonderful Christmas and full traps.
Posted By: hum

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 03:10 PM

wow can you still hunt them

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 04:38 PM

Still hunt what?
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 05:05 PM

Nice catch of fur.
Posted By: JMF

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/22/17 05:56 PM

Excellent journal! Thanks for sharing, and keep it going.

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/23/17 09:50 AM

Nice work and Merry Christmas to you as well

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/26/17 08:51 PM

Well I cant complain temps are to warm anymore -35 this morn and strong wind but happy to pick up these two extra large fluff balls this boxing day morning

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/26/17 08:53 PM

Also got some marten pelted out
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Sask Trapping - 12/27/17 01:31 AM

Sweet! Merry Christmas!

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 09:20 PM

Well its been a real cold stretch over holidays but kept at it and the fur added up. Best thing about Christmas break is being able to spend time on the trapline with the family. Ive been trying to get caught up in the skinning shack so I can get as much fur shipped as possible but I always seem to cut it a bit short so some will have to wait tell next time.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 09:22 PM

The last picture was as pitch black marten as Ive ever seen.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 09:25 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 09:27 PM

-35c and the Elan fired up first pull

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 09:31 PM

This fox got caught leaving the scene of the crime......him and his buddies have been stealing from my bait cache at cabin for too long

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 09:32 PM

Have a great happy and healthy 2018 everyone!
Posted By: Barryf

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 11:43 PM

Same to you Jasonj

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/04/18 11:47 PM

Looks like your having a pretty good year!! Congrats on the critters!

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/18 04:06 AM

Way to go.There are two fur pick ups here.Nafa first and FHA 2 weeks later.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/18 05:07 AM

Same here Boco there is a Fur Harvesters pickup later this month I’m going to ship beavers and whatever I don’t get done for first sale. I’m also thinking maybe I should send them my marten because last couple years have been disappointing results.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/18 05:42 AM

Think I'll go half and half with my marten fha and nafa.Was gonna ship all to fha,but not positive what the market will be doing and want to hedge my bets.Got a number of good beaver on the Jan 9 fha sale which has been best beaver sale for quite a while now.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/18 05:59 AM

You've got some nice dark marten.
Posted By: spotter

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/05/18 09:20 PM

Congrats on the fur Jason , looks like you’re having fun.
Posted By: Nunamiut

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/08/18 02:57 AM

Nice pile of fur!

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/18 12:58 AM

I have got most of my marten and fisher sets pulled now as I like to have them shut down shortly after new years so as to not over harvest. bringing in fur at a steady pace but I don't post pictures of each catch because it gets repetitive. Mostly catching canines now and maybe go after under ice beaver in February. Picked up a double on wolves today so that was good.

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/18 01:00 AM

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/16/18 04:31 PM

Nice catch, wolves have left my area for the time being...but they will be back.

Spruce

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/18 12:45 PM

Checked north end of line yesterday and pulled remaining marten boxes. Picked up a small lynx the last couple marten of season and this beaut......

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/17/18 06:32 PM

Way to go!!!

Re: Sask Trapping - 01/18/18 07:00 AM

Nice work, way to go.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 04:40 PM

Hi trappers I havnt been updating regular because I find it a pain to download pics from my phone onto computer then upload onto here. It used to be much easier when I could do it off my iPhone. Anyway that's a very small complaint in the grand scheme but that's my excuse for not updating. Fur came in slow and steady in January but you always get a lull this time of year. Ended up with 6 link some more yotes and 1 beautiful 105 pound male in a pee post.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 04:48 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 04:52 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 05:06 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 05:19 PM

Also shipped out fur to NAFA and Fur Harvesters. Coyotes look really good still.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 05:23 PM

Picture of the boy beside the pee post wolf.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 05:27 PM

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 05:34 PM

Some pics of furs ready to go. My son likes to get pictures of the final product haha.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 05:40 PM

Nice work, good luck at the auctions

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 08:01 PM

Nice wolf! Hoping the auctions are good to all of us!
Posted By: AK TRAPR

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 08:45 PM

Nice looking furs hope the auction,s treat you well
Posted By: Osky

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 10:13 PM

Great job, kudos to you guys.

Osky

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/04/18 10:23 PM

Looks like a black coyote hanging there? How many you get like that? Would like to snag one of those up here sometime.

Nice pile of furs there, good luck at the sale.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/05/18 03:48 AM

That was a black wolf hanging there I was thinking that picture didn’t show much perspective. I’ve never caught a black coyote here although I seen a couple.

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/05/18 05:20 AM

I'd take wolves any day!
Posted By: spotter

Re: Sask Trapping - 02/05/18 05:52 AM

Nice put up. Lots of work and shows your love of the outdoors.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums