Home

Cabin for Sale

Posted By: Wolfwoman

Cabin for Sale - 10/28/16 09:07 PM

Realtor link:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/36297-E-Bestline-Ave_Sutton_AK_99674_M79953-15121

Link to Facebook page that has more pics than I uploaded here. I only added 10, there are more than 25 on the Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/Wolfwoman.Alask...6784&type=3

Please message me here or on Facebook with comments and questions! Thanks!

This is a 635 sf cabin, on .29 acre (just over 1/4 acre) corner lot, located in Chickaloon, Alaska.

There will be quite a few usable items left with the cabin to get you started:
*11 5-gallon gas cans
*Assortment of 4 and 5 gallon water jugs to haul water
*5 or 6 20lb Propane tanks - some already filled
*2 100lb propane tanks
*King size pillowtop bed
*8 drawer dresser
*Ice chests
*Dining table corner nook with bench and chair
*5000w Generator that needs work, possibly just a switch or a breaker - also has a battery for the electric start
*Fenced area with steps for dogs which can be a back/side entry
*Handicap accessible ramp into the house for main entry - ramp can easily be removed so you can use the stairs instead.
*2 1/2 cord of wood seasoned and ready to burn
*Wood stove is a Blaze King Princess installed with 5 feet of single wall black stovepipe and then double wall the rest of the way up through the ceiling with spark arrestor on top.
*Chimney Sweep brush outside

Additional information:
*4 miles in on a year round maintained dirt road
*No water or electric. Power thru generator, battery or solar (you provide)
*Phone and high speed internet are available through MTA
*Cell phones will work if you add a Micro Cell to your internet otherwise you can occasionally get 1 bar in various places on the property.
*Cabin is 15 years old
*Floors, walls and ceiling insulated with R24
*All walls are either T&G or Cedar, with a few areas of paneling. No sheetrock.
*Floor tile in living room area has a few pieces that need replacing.
*Some wall and ceiling areas were not completed on the inside, could be finished to your liking
*Wildlife in the area include moose, bears, migratory raptors, coyotes, fox, wolves and many various birds.
*King mountain can be seen out the front window, and Castle Mountain is in the back
*1-4 hours drive from salmon fishing and dipnetting
*30 Miles to Palmer, 40 Miles to Wasilla, 80 miles to Anchorage.
*Taxes are approximately $425 per year
*Game Management Unit 14A
*Showers and water available 7 miles away at RV Park

Outbuildings:
*Canvas covered chain link dog kennel shed (used for storage)
*Pallet barn that is approximately 15' x 13' (used for a rabbit barn)
*Stick built shed that is approximately 7' x 8' (used for chicken coop)
*Generator Shed
*Outhouse

Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Cabin for Sale - 10/29/16 09:20 PM

If that was only 29 acres instead of .29!!

Re: Cabin for Sale - 10/29/16 11:05 PM

lol The price wouldn't stay the same tho... wink
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Cabin for Sale - 10/30/16 01:32 AM

Here you go, dreamers. Let's see how many pony up, eh?

let.s

Re: Cabin for Sale - 10/30/16 02:19 AM

AV, right? lol
Posted By: PAJeeper

Re: Cabin for Sale - 10/31/16 12:01 PM

My problem is getting the wife to bite on it. I've tried several properties that I've liked and the answer is always no from her.

Re: Cabin for Sale - 10/31/16 07:44 PM

Why the 'no' - if you can determine why she doesn't like them, maybe you can go forward?
I'm a wife, I've lived here a long time. wink
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/01/16 03:46 AM

You are one of a kind, Bonnie. Most here know that.
Does the price include the kerosene heater? That could be a kicker. smile
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/01/16 05:55 AM

if i ain't living in alaska already i'd buy it and move there, i got me lots of country and a home already

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/01/16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: alaska viking
You are one of a kind, Bonnie. Most here know that.
Does the price include the kerosene heater? That could be a kicker. smile

Not sure if that's a compliment or an insult!! LMAO!

There is a propane heater that will be left here, we use it for quick warm ups...lol
Other than that, no other heaters except the wood stove!
Posted By: PAJeeper

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/07/16 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Wolfwoman
Why the 'no' - if you can determine why she doesn't like them, maybe you can go forward?
I'm a wife, I've lived here a long time. wink

She doesn't like cold. But most of the stuff I've looked at is farther out in the bush. Maybe if I keep it a little closer to town and the road system I could get her to bite. If not, I can always send her to florida for the winter smile
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/07/16 02:31 PM

Why is it transferring via quit claim deed versus traditional deed? Around here it is very hard to sell property with just a quit claim, banks will not lend money on them. Is that natural in Alaska?
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/08/16 11:46 PM

Cash only.

Nice place.

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/11/16 06:42 AM

No answer? Are quit claim deed the norm in Alaska?
Posted By: jeremiah52

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/11/16 03:50 PM

Hi,
Quick claim deeds are not at all unusal in Alaska. Lots of properties with buildings that are not in a town would be very hard to get a bank loan on. For example where I live we have no fire protection with in 15 miles so you cannot get hoome owners insurance where I live. That would stop a bank right there. However you can still buy for cash but you might want to go thru a title company if you can. but in a word quick claim deeds are quite common here.
Posted By: piperniner

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/11/16 06:22 PM

For what it is worth - some companies do offer insurance on remote homes/cabins - if you insure it as a second home under your main home owners insurance. Many will not insure if it has a wood stove and many only offer fire insurance, or limited coverage. But some do offer full policies. You have to shop around and often bundle all your policies with the same company ( home, vehicle, life, boat, etc, ).

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/12/16 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: VaBeagler
Why is it transferring via quit claim deed versus traditional deed? Around here it is very hard to sell property with just a quit claim, banks will not lend money on them. Is that natural in Alaska?
It's how I bought it and the easiest way to sell without using a realtor and tons of fees and %s.

Originally Posted By: VaBeagler
No answer? Are quit claim deed the norm in Alaska?
Sorry, I've been busy packing and getting ready to go - we leave Monday. Yes, it's a very normal way to sell things here.

Originally Posted By: piperniner
For what it is worth - some companies do offer insurance on remote homes/cabins - if you insure it as a second home under your main home owners insurance. Many will not insure if it has a wood stove and many only offer fire insurance, or limited coverage. But some do offer full policies. You have to shop around and often bundle all your policies with the same company ( home, vehicle, life, boat, etc, ).

Many will also not insure a home/cabin without a foundation - this is on 12sx12s (or larger, can't remember, it's been years since I looked at time) sunk into the ground.

All that aside, this would make a great weekender or hunting/trapping cabin.

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/12/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jeremiah52
Hi,
Quick claim deeds are not at all unusal in Alaska. Lots of properties with buildings that are not in a town would be very hard to get a bank loan on. For example where I live we have no fire protection with in 15 miles so you cannot get hoome owners insurance where I live. That would stop a bank right there. However you can still buy for cash but you might want to go thru a title company if you can. but in a word quick claim deeds are quite common here.

Definitely. Chickaloon has a fire service, but I know how it (doesn't) work and I refuse to pay $200 a year for it.
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/13/16 02:36 PM

Boy, wish I had the cash. Looks like a great place
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/13/16 11:24 PM

The reason you can have issues with a Quit Claim deed over a Warranty Deed is that a Quit Claim transfers ownership in the property but does not certify from the seller to the buyer that it is free of all claims or liens. A warranty deed does this, so that if there does arise an issue, the buyer can go back against the seller. Usually, a warranty deed is provided when there is also title insurance involved, that backs the seller in case there is an issue. Quit Claim deeds are usually used in private party sales in Alaska. From personal experience, I would not buy a piece of property where the buy/sell was not handled by a title company to make sure I owned it when all was said and done. You wouldn't buy a car without getting the title, why would you spend that kind of money on a piece of property and not make sure of the same? My 2 cents.

I can see why many financial institutions in the lower 48 may not like a Quit Claim when doing mortgages due to the long history and possible inability for a title insurance company to research and to certify there was never an issue down the line. Alaska is a fairly young state and so the ability for the title company's to research the title to a property is pretty easy. Having a quit claim somewhere in the line doesn't cause as many issues here. But I have seen a few that have had issues and you had to go through a quiet title judicial process to get full ownership of the property.

-TJ

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/14/16 02:52 AM

Top Jimmy, not an issue here. I knew the guy that built the cabin, and I bought it cash Quit Claim Deed from him 14 years ago. It's pretty easy to research property in the Mat-Su Borough as well, just have to go to their website and type it in. Additionally, I think you can see liens on the property on the Borough site as well. So - all someone has to do it LOOK. Really quite simple.

Posted By: waggler

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/14/16 03:00 AM

I have bought several properties via a Quit Claim Deed (QCD). It can actually be to the buyers advantage if you do your research. Properties conveyed with a QCD can usually be bought at somewhat of a discount since the seller is not warrantying the title. In other words the seller is selling you what they may or may not own. For example: I could legally sell you Trump Tower with a QCD, and when you found out that I had no legal ownership interest in TT you would have no recourse.

When you find a property that is for sale, and the owner wants to transfer possession with a QCD, simply go to a local Title insurance company and get a preliminary commitment to insure title. They will conduct a title search to ensure that there are no outstanding liens or other encumbrances against the property. Common liens are for child support, labor or mechanic's liens, divorce judgements, etc., other encumbrances could be things like mortgages and other unpaid notes that were secured by the property.

A more complicated sale might involve a property that was never properly severed from the public domain, or more likely the records of patent were never recorded properly. Or maybe one of the previous sales from years ago was never recorded. However, if it's obvious the current owner is the legal owner, the title can usually be cleared up by going to court and suing to "quiet title". That means anyone other the the alleged owner who thinks they have a legal interest in the property has the opportunity to make their claim of ownership. If no one shows up to make any claims the court then grants a quiet title judgment. Sometimes a title company will require this before they will insure a property with a clouded title.

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/14/16 02:12 PM

Purchased some timberland here way off the road in the boondocks via qcd. When I sold the timber I had people coming out of the woodwork saying they were descendants of the estate that have never been
settled. These people were great-great nieces and nephews. The man I purchased the land from had been paying taxes on the land for 47 years. After the lawyers were paid I almost broke even. Alaska may be different but I would never purchase property in the lower 48 via qcd again.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/14/16 02:18 PM

^^^^^^^
That is a perfect example of the need to have a title company perform a title search and insure the title. You could have still purchased it through a QCD and been protected if you had title insurance.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Cabin for Sale - 11/21/16 04:14 AM

Bonnie,

The borough tax site does not have all the history of the property, or list every lien. You are better to go to the DNR website and view all the transactions there. And even then, they might not have everything, as they don't go back and add all the paper transactions from pre computer days in the state. As VA Beagler points out above, you can have issues with heirs, native allotments, land that was staked for several different programs under the feds, etc., in Alaska.

You can get a title prelim from a title company for $250. It doesn't insure the transaction, but it is what they provide when you want to get title insurance. The state sets the minimum cost of the prelim, and for most smaller transactions, that is the cost of the insurance, as they credit that fee to the insurance.

Also, the seller doesn't have to pay for it if they don't want to. All of these things are negotiable between the buyer and seller.

-TJ

Re: Cabin for Sale - 12/20/16 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Top Jimmy
Bonnie,

Also, the seller doesn't have to pay for it if they don't want to. All of these things are negotiable between the buyer and seller.

-TJ

Good point!

Re: Cabin for Sale - 02/26/18 02:49 PM

Ok, no longer quit claim deed
.. Listed thru a realtor. Here's the link:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/36297-E-Bestline-Ave_Sutton_AK_99674_M79953-15121
Posted By: madcotrappwr

Re: Cabin for Sale - 02/26/18 11:35 PM

Are the roads kept in the winter? I had 3 or so more other questions that I've just forgot.

Ok. Do you get a bunch of snow.

Is a snow machine a must?

Re: Cabin for Sale - 02/27/18 01:45 PM

Yes, roads are maintained.
No, a snowmachine isn't needed.
Snow depends on the year...1 foot to 8feet or more ...lol
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Cabin for Sale - 03/03/18 03:10 PM

Is it decent moose hunting in the area?

PS we still have the great coyote hats you made for me and get compliments every time we ware them.

Re: Cabin for Sale - 03/04/18 01:58 PM

Lots of moose in the area. Friend had 10 acres just a few miles up the road and he took a moose every other year, could have taken one every year but didn't need to.

Great to hear about the hats!
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Cabin for Sale - 03/07/18 12:42 AM

Its awesome,im too old and feeble now

Re: Cabin for Sale - 03/07/18 01:44 PM

Thanks smile
We loved it there.

Re: Cabin for Sale - 04/26/18 02:20 PM

Still for sale, now thru a realtor:

Posted By: otterman

Re: Cabin for Sale - 04/26/18 04:20 PM

Please make all further inquiries about this to PMs
© 2024 Trapperman Forums