Home

A few marten for the auctions.

Posted By: Boco

A few marten for the auctions. - 01/06/18 11:12 PM

Bagged a few marten for the upcoming auctions.
Posted By: bob1454

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/06/18 11:12 PM

Nice Boco
Posted By: yukon254

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/06/18 11:42 PM

Nice haul Boco!
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/06/18 11:43 PM

Very nice looking marten Boco!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 12:12 AM

Right on! I’m hitch hiking up to your line next year and trapping some Marten, ok? grin

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 12:26 AM

Thanks Guys,Come on up for the under ice spring beaver run,Jordan,I'll put you to work.You aint sceerd of work eh?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 12:41 AM

Lol not scared of work one bit. When beaver prices go up I’ll think about learning how to catch them under ice lol.
Posted By: Mac

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 01:41 AM

Nice bunch of fur.
Mac
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 01:45 AM

How do those grade, color-wise? They are very "orange", compared to what I get. Just curious.

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 02:05 AM

I get mostly br lbr and pale.Some years there are a lot more pales and xpales.This year it is opposite.A lot more browns and lt browns than pales and xpales.Normally get 20% dk xdk,Less xdk and dk this year than normal too.Get very few red and orange.

Got this orange marten a couple years ago.
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 04:13 AM

Nice put up Boco.

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: alaska viking
How do those grade, color-wise? They are very "orange", compared to what I get. Just curious.

I wondered about that too. If any of you guys watched Fox News tonight, maybe you saw that lady come by and say a few words when they were out on the street talking about the weather?? She had on a sable coat that looked just like Bocos marten...colors looked exactly the same. They all said it was a beautiful coat too....no anti fur nonsense thankfully. Mine are usually darker in color.
Posted By: beaver trapper

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 01:41 PM

Beautiful fur boco
Posted By: Blkpwda

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 03:01 PM

Well done, all the way around!
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/07/18 04:11 PM

Nice work Boco, good luck at the auction
Posted By: wolf1199

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 12:36 AM

Nice catch of marten Boco. Do you catch any dark marten or our they all pale and light browns. You might be in a area which has very little dark marten.

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 01:10 AM

Usually get about 20% darks but it varies as the bush changes.

There are a few blacks buried in the pile somewhere.
My northern line produced a lot of pales back 25 years ago. Mostly browns and lt browns now.

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 02:50 AM

Wow those two are about as dark as they get. Looks like you get good sizes too.

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 02:54 AM

Lg(female juv) is the smallest we get here.Majority xl and xxl.Some that come down from around the bay are xxxl.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 03:08 AM

Good luck!

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 04:27 AM

Boco I know your lines are smaller than ours but looks like you can still get some good numbers. Whats a good average number of marten each season out there?? The most ever taken off my line was just over 300...but that was exceptional. I can average 150 if I go hard. The line that my daughter just bought east of me is higher elevation and the guy that owned it would regularly take 250 and sometimes 300.

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 05:38 AM

The bigger lines can produce 300 marten,likely a lot more if more than one trapper is working.These lines start just north of my Northern line and are around 1200 to 1800 sq km.These are mostly native lines and the natives who trap them trap mostly marten.For lines that are not trapped up there you can get authorization from the MNR to go trap them for management purposes if you are young and ambitious.Many of these lines are undeveloped so tough trapping.When fur prices were higher,lots of the northern lines were trapped by guys with aircraft.Paul Millette trapped with an aircraft for years when he put up his record breaking catches of beaver,marten and otter,trapping the northern lines under MNR authorization.There are still a few guys in the councils who trap with aircraft.
My Northern line is around 300sq km and I have taken 165 marten off that line on occasion when juvenile recruitment is good.The safe number for that line is 80.When I was younger I trapped 4 lines.There are some guys that trap 3,4 or more lines and pile up fur.One guy a few weeks ago set up a line just west of here and after a 14 day soak pulled over 70 marten on his first check.
At one time the lines were a lot bigger around here,but they came with large mandatory beaver quotas of 300 or more,and as trappers got older,and less people made their living off fur,the lines were broken up smaller.
The line my son bought last year is a part of a line that was broken into 4 smaller lines,quite a few years ago.
There is unlimited opportunity to trap here for anyone who wants to trap,trouble is everyone wants easy acess.
I could be trapping right now on at least 5 traplines that guys have offered me a licence on.I'm too old for that now,I only trap 2 right now,maybe 3 next year.
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 06:06 AM

Hey Boco ... nice pile!
I just finished doing the same thing. Sent 40 to NAFA and 60 to FHA.
Where are yours going ?
Good luck with your batch!

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 06:19 AM

Sent a bunch to Nafa today,plus some mink,next week is the fha pick up.I split mine up also.I will ship cats,fisher marten and mink and other fur to FHA,for the Helsinki sale.I will have some fur for the later sales too and some for the tanner,as I am not caught up on drying fur in the freezers.
I got a bunch of beaver at the sale for the 9th,the lotting is up-good grades.
Posted By: red mt

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 10:07 AM

Nice work Boco
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 02:29 PM

Great job Boco.. Congrats..

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 02:31 PM

We used to be able to break our lines up too, but they don't allow that anymore. Lots of unassigned lines up here too, but its almost impossible to get Fish/Game to allocate them. Talked to a guy last night that is trying to get a trapline his neighbour owns. The guy has had it for 25-years and never set one trap on it, and its just north of town.
Posted By: Osky

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/08/18 11:21 PM

Great job Boco, top shelf as always.

Osky
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/13/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Osky
Great job Boco, top shelf as always.

Osky

x2
Posted By: Starvalleytrappe

Re: A few marten for the auctions. - 01/16/18 09:44 PM