Home

Moyle turnaround time

Posted By: 3 Fingers

Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 07:19 PM

Every thing I sent in 2 months ago is done and some came in 5 weeks. Talked with them today and they said they have new equipment to speed things up. New price list looks like some slight increases. Beavers came back a bit thin and a few more holes than past.
Posted By: Family Trapper

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 08:31 PM

New guys on the round knives. haha
That is an impressive turn around.

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
New guys on the round knives. haha
Ya. That’s what I was thinking.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 09:20 PM

I think Moyles turn around time has definitely improved. However, they are still advertising 7 months.

One of the reasons for the speed up is that the long turn around cost them customers. Folks sending to Great Northern or Tubari or some place else in the hope of getting faster service. Fewer customers shipping = less pelts to dress = faster service for those that ship. smile

Another factor in turn around time is what is included in your shipment. Moyle treats each shipment as an order and the order isn't completed until all the pelts are finished. They don't ship partial orders.

For example, if you ship them 21 beaver, you will get those pelts back faster than if you ship them 10 beaver, 12 Raccoon, 3 red fox, 8 possums and a skunk.

Moyles system doesn't mean they tan all pelts from one trapper at the same time. Different species are tanned in certain batches, according to a formula they use. So if for some reason, all your pelts are finished except for your one skunk (see example above), the rest of the goods will sit there until the skunk is done. And that could be several months.

That is why I always send each species as a separate shipment. When one species is done, I get those pelts back without waiting for other species. Just something to keep in mind.

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 09:32 PM

Nancy, based on some your previous posts I did just that. Broke it down into 3 separate orders for 5 species and I think that helped. Have had great service with Moyles.
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 09:59 PM

That's good news!
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 10:41 PM

When sending in fur does it need to be tried and raw? Have never sent in any to get tanned before. Got a wolf skin and a otter skin I would like to get tanned.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 10:57 PM

Yes. Handled just like for auction. Also need any sealing/tagging required. And an order form and signed Lacy Act form. Not a big deal. You can print them off their site.

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/26/18 11:12 PM

Awesome! Thanks, hopefully get a few more beaver and send a couple in to get tanned.
Posted By: BigSky

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 02:21 AM

I sent them 43 beaver the middle of January and was shocked when they called four weeks later to say they were done. Their work is outstanding as usual.
Posted By: otterman

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 03:02 AM

Good news to hear I have been looking for a faster tannery with limited sucess my wife loves sewing with moyels tan hope they can continue to keep up
Posted By: white17

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: That Fool
When sending in fur does it need to be tried and raw? Have never sent in any to get tanned before. Got a wolf skin and a otter skin I would like to get tanned.

Just a personal quirk on my part but if I am going to have something tanned i prefer to salt dry it rather than dry it for the fur market. It is just easier to pack salt dried hides for shipping.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 03:24 PM

Salt drying is great if you live in a low humidity location. Here on the Oregon coast, "salt dried" skins stay wet!

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 10:29 PM

When shipping to moyles do we just put the check for the amount of the tanning cost and have them call us back to pay the return shipping or do we add on the amount with the box we are shipping in? First time sending out fur to get tanned. Thanks!

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 10:49 PM

I send fur in. Then they send an invoice for tanning charge. Then I call with credit card number to pay for tanning. When it’s done they send an invoice for return shipping and I call again to pay that.

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 10:51 PM

Use their order form printable off the website as it needs a signature for Lacey Act compliance and they want a liscense number

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/27/18 10:54 PM

K, thanks! Will just send it in then with the forms, was filling them out and took a guess at filling out some parts of the form.
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/29/18 01:27 PM

Something with the tanneries may be changing... I dropped off 92 fox at Tubari on March 13 and they emailed me March 23rd for payment and they were on my door step March 26. Not just dressing either I had many of them dyed as well- 3 different colors. Of course the other bits and pieces like muskrats, mink, coon, coyote just a few of each they are saying may be 8 months...
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/29/18 11:24 PM

Probably your batch of 92 fox was large enough that they could do it by itself right away. Or theynhappened to be doing fox for other customers and your timing was just right. If they are saying up to 8 months on the other items, that tells me they are still behind.

Stuff from the March NAFA and FHA sales will be hitting thevtanneries soon, that will add to the back log.
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 03/30/18 12:22 AM

Indeed ms wissmiss- my conclusion is that for us Trappers it is often a crap shoot when sending to the commercial tannery. I have to believe that commercial customers meaning large lot single type skin customers have to be catered to in a more reliable fashion and are according to what I am seeing. Knowing a little more does help the trapper for sure.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 04/01/18 05:07 AM

How much FHA and NAFA fur gets dressed in the US? I've always wondered that...
Posted By: Boco

Re: Moyle turnaround time - 04/01/18 05:15 AM

The majority is dressed in eastern Europe and china,viet nam etc.
International in Winnipeg dresses a lot of beaver.
I suppose any fur that get bought by US buyers may get dressed in the US.I don't believe much fur goes to the US.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums