Home

Lynx lures and trapping prep

Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/04/18 04:10 PM

What’s your go to lynx lure? I use whale oil and beaver castor mixed but just looking for opinions on what else gets good results. Sometimes the big old cats seem to know the scent and avoid my set but then switching to plain fish or switching lures will get them. BC lynx lure? I think that’s one I’ve used. Ultimate bear lure in an orange bottle was another killer lure that I don’t see around anymore. Probably order a couple different lures just to have them on hand once we get started. I got some lightly used plywood and should be able to make 10-12 more wolverine boxes. Also making a small order for snare parts. I’ll be making some 3/32 swivelled and cam locked snares again this year since I liked the ones I made last year so much. They felt slower than the ones I’m used to but the results were the same, they worked. 12 more days and there will be some beaver traps and snares to look at.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/04/18 05:45 PM

Good to shoot some straggler ducks. Cook up a couple, make a cooking video then use the wings and feathers for bait.
12 more days; ice going to be thick on the lakes by then, -10C on sunday.
You get any fishing done I hear lots of coni running. You should fill up the Pokiak Ch. fish pit might put you over the top for King of the Swamp and a black bear or two in the spring.
I thought I was going to have enough snow to run a mountain line but it all melted.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/04/18 08:34 PM

Sharpe's BC made lynx lure is an effective one I have used as well as a very effective home made lure as follows:

It is made by rotting lynx livers in a jar all summer. Then take a pint of this rotted liver and add six drops of aniseed, six drops of Valerian, a small bit of powdered catnip and six drops of lynx urine. Throw in about five tablespoons of powdered lynx droppings and one finely chopped beaver castor and mix well.
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/04/18 09:15 PM

Last season i tried out Jameson's "Sierra Mist", it worked good on Lynx.
Most of the time I just use beaver castor but like you said some of them just walk past it.
Posted By: martenpine

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/05/18 05:35 AM

Haven’t chased them in a few years but pacific call and backbreaker worked pretty good for me.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/05/18 06:10 AM

Order some Fergus Lure Felix Special. Works great and Fergus lives in Quebec.
Posted By: Moose maniac

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/05/18 02:44 PM

I tried it didn't work well for me
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/06/18 12:40 AM

Dobbins Purrfect BackBreaker, Skunky BackBreaker,is all I use. It produces.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/06/18 04:26 AM

Dobbins AK Purrfect is what I use most. Has some skunk in it and stays working at colder temps.

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/07/18 12:39 AM

I use a homemade lynx lure made from lynx innards it takes awhile to make it but works like no other lure I have tried for them
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/07/18 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Moose maniac
I use a homemade lynx lure made from lynx innards it takes awhile to make it but works like no other lure I have tried for them
Is it similar to recipe I posted.

Re: Lynx lures and trapping prep - 10/07/18 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: bctomcat
Originally Posted By: Moose maniac
Is it similar to recipe I posted.
No it's different you take all the guts from the lynx and cut them up put them in a pail to rot for a summer it turns into a brownish paste when it's ready add some bacon grease and glycerine to keep it from freezing, I used to use beaver meat and lynx meat now I use a bait stick and a snare, I have literally tried every commercial lynx lure made and none come close, I catch at least 50 a season.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums