Home

Wolf snare locks

Posted By: Grizzly

Wolf snare locks - 10/13/18 01:22 AM

What are good and bad, going to build my own snares. Thanks Roy
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Wolf snare locks - 10/13/18 01:54 PM

Have a look at some of the recommendations in the Alaska Wolf Trapping Manual.... see green banner at top of this thread!

Pete
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Wolf snare locks - 10/21/18 05:14 PM

I posted some pics last year of the 3/32 berkshire locks that i wasnt a fan of....in 3 different instances the lock failed to stay "positive" and created one melon head, and 2 of them were alive like cable restraints. I do like the cam locks with teeth and know several trappers here love them. I believe the issue with the berks was the metal in the lock is soft and allowed the cable to wallow out the hole to a bigger diameter. Isnarewolves says the old Thompson locks are the ones he likes.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Wolf snare locks - 10/21/18 05:35 PM

Good read from the wilderness archives...
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2470980/snares_buy_or_build?#Post2470980
Posted By: AKscott

Re: Wolf snare locks - 10/24/18 06:23 AM

I’m using cam locks with teeth and the seneker lightning springs and break away s hook. Zero experience with how it works but after losing a wolf out of a snare last year I put a good chuck of research into high performance wolf snares and this seems to be a solid way to go. Fingers crossed I’ll get to see how it performs this season.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Wolf snare locks - 10/24/18 02:42 PM

For whatever it's worth herewith the results of a Canadian poll re wolf snare locks:

What is your preferred wolf snare lock?
Poll runs till Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:59 am
Berkshire lock
4% [ 3 ]
Kieper lock
0% [ 0 ]
Cam lock-regular
19% [ 13 ]
Cam lock-toothed
49% [ 34 ] x
Amburg lock
14% [ 10 ]
Bullet lock
0% [ 0 ]
Thompson lock
4% [ 3 ]
Micro lock
7% [ 5 ] x
Slim lock
1% [ 1 ]
Other(specify in comments)
1% [ 1 ]
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Wolf snare locks - 10/24/18 05:34 PM

Depends on your conditions. I use the Sennecker kill springs and cam locks with teeth a lot, or even just cam-locks, but cam-locks are prone to freezing up if you get any freeze/ thaw conditions. Last couple of years we've had a lot of freezing rain that put most of my snares out of commission. IME the Thompson locks are hard to beat in that regard, as they dont freeze up like a cam-lock will.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Wolf snare locks - 10/24/18 08:15 PM

Another option for freeze/thaw conditions is the micro lock used along with a kill spring.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums