Home

Slime line

Posted By: The Beav

Slime line - 02/07/19 07:11 PM

Got a young fellow here that wants a summer job cleaning fish. Any advice as to what he needs to do get hired on?
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Slime line - 02/07/19 08:03 PM

Is he looking to get paid?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Slime line - 02/07/19 10:39 PM

OP, are you talking about cleaning fish for a fish processing company , or at a sport fishing lodge?

Re: Slime line - 02/07/19 11:07 PM

Canning company work.

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 12:45 AM

Most of the Alaska fish processors hire Filipinos, Hispanics, Samoans and other folks who are quick with a knife for the actual fish cleaning work. The same companies however do have positions available that might better suit your friend. Does he have any particular skills, welder, fork lift operator, etc.?
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 04:42 AM

Any of the fish processing plants will take anyone with half a work ethic. They used to recruit and hire alot of college kids back when I was in college. It up any of them and I bet he can get signed up.

-TJ
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 09:48 AM

Find phone numbers and call. It might be a little early now for the salmon-only outfits, but some of them will answer the phone year-round.

If he’s interested in Kenai call:
Snug Harbor Seafoods: 907) 283-6122
Pacific Star Seafoods: (907) 283-7787

Snug Harbor also has employment info on their website.

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 03:54 PM

Thanks guys I'll have him make the calls.

The kids a hard worker but he doesn't have any skills like a welder or mechanic.

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 04:31 PM

Can he swim? Any experience around boats, even if it's just skiffs with outboards? I often hear from guys looking for crewmen for salmon fishing. Some of the guys I fish with are from the Minnesota/Wisconsin area and prefer to hire guys from that region due to the fact they usually know how to work.
He'd have a lot more fun and make more money fishing than processing.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
He'd have a lot more fun and make more money fishing than processing.

That’s for sure!
Posted By: otterman

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 09:51 PM

sometime in the net month or so most of the major processors will be advertising for help. the State of Alaska has a job services web site go look there he will have to register first. I know the anchorage job center usually has seafood processing days where that is the focus of the day for people seeking employment use to have all that info but it got left with the job but I am sure a little surfing around and a guy could find the info

Re: Slime line - 02/08/19 11:59 PM

I have sort of been trying to politely steer your friend away from processing work. But I'll be a more blunt; unless he wants to hangout with tweekers, other drugies, and folks who don't speak much English I wouldn't direct him to processing. I worked on a processing ship back in the 70's.... it isn't the 70's anymore.

If you want to PM me I can give you some tips on finding a job as a crewman set netting for salmon on Bristol Bay. It's not huge money, but it can be sort of fun, plus a good experience.

Re: Slime line - 02/09/19 04:13 AM

I will get a hold of him this weekend and see what he wants to do.

Thanks.
Posted By: Bloodtrails

Re: Slime line - 02/14/19 06:16 PM

I am an owner of 60 north seafoods in Cordova Ak. Bunks and cookhouse onsite. Plenty of overtime if you are willing to put in the work. We’ll be hiring for the suummer season soon. Have to be 18 yrs old. NO Drugs. You can give me a call 9078308814 or email john@sixtynorthseafoods.com
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Slime line - 02/14/19 09:12 PM

There you go.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Slime line - 05/02/19 06:20 AM

Did he find a job Beav?

Re: Slime line - 05/02/19 06:10 PM

He got a job as a crewman on a Bristol Bay drift boat.

Re: Slime line - 05/03/19 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
He got a job as a crewman on a Bristol Bay drift boat.

This year that is a lucky thing lots of guys looking with prices approaching or exceeding the $2 mark

Re: Slime line - 05/03/19 09:30 PM

I'd be happy with $1.50, but dont tell my fish buyer I said that.

Re: Slime line - 05/04/19 03:24 AM

I got told by a Leader Creek guy he was at $1.90 with all bonuses and incentives for last year and the price is suppose to go up with sockeye pretty much sold out world wide

Re: Slime line - 05/05/19 02:44 AM

I just read a market outlook for sockeye in National Fisherman. It looks like the stars may be lining up for a very good season; price-wise. Now let's just hope some fish show up.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Slime line - 05/05/19 04:36 PM

I'd much rather buy Alaskan fish than foreign fish. I go to the grocery stores around here and it seems like all the fish is product of some foreign country.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums