Home

Polaris Titan

Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Polaris Titan - 04/12/19 09:06 PM

Picking mine up today!

Attached picture 0EC7F838-D98B-4436-B546-DBB3CCA80CC9.png
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 02:07 AM

Any rebates like a couple of years ago ?
Not much room on the back for that Roof shoveller you have for the camp.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 02:43 AM

no Rebates but got a decent deal. The Xc is built cross country strong which is what we need for this area. I’m already thinking of reducing down time next year and to have a brand new machine means I’ll be worry free for 4 years. That the warranty I got on it. I shovel my own roof so it must be 411 you’re thinking of. My expedition will get some major TLC this summer and I’ll be smiling knowing I’m set with two machines to keep me going.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 03:26 AM

I always keep 2 reliable machines in top shape.Never want to have downtime when fur is running,or its making snow every day.As a matter of fact I keep 2 of everything,except the generator which I don't much use and wouldn't really miss it if it went down.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 03:30 AM

Sorry Ryan my mistake 411 it was
Sure hope they changed their key design....only 5 master keys on the old models.lots of theif because of this.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 03:34 AM

I have 4 snowmobile and for a while three of them were down. I finally have two going now but I missed most of trapping season this year. Good call on investing in yourself Ryan

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 03:37 AM

What'd you do muskrat buy a new one when the other one ran out of gas?

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 03:52 AM

One of muskrats skidoos costed him 20 bucks. Lucky guy won a raffle skidoo last year.
Posted By: SK-Trapper

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 01:15 PM

Have any of you guys put serious miles on one of these titans yet? Good looking machine but Polaris left a bad taste in the past and wondering if they got some issues figured out.
Posted By: Grubstake

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/13/19 09:09 PM

I know a few guys who have with zero issues, I think that those problems have been eliminated and the titan is a real breath of fresh air from a company that seemingly forgot what we use snowmobiles for.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 12:56 AM

It’s got some serious power I’ll tell you that. My lips were just flapping in the wind driving it home. I’ve owned it for about two hours and it’s just bout to hit the trail. I’ve got an industrial big boggan load of lynx carcasses to haul out then clean up and put up the bear fence.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 12:56 AM

I figure I’ll be done at the trapping camp after tomorrow.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 02:18 AM

Congrats Ryan! Cant wait to hear your report on this sled. I've been hearing guys saying good things about it the last year or so. Im headed for the bush again soon, hope you and yours have a great summer!

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 02:29 AM

Looking for a track for my Tundra now. VK540 not sure if I'll ever see again sounds like Yamaha trying to squirm out of there warranty. Yamaha has really gone down hill as a company. Be paying for two more years on a machine that ran for 1 hour since November and may never run again.
Stan Zuray I wonder if his VK is still running. I should have just bought another Tundra. But so much trouble with Jack shaft bearing. I hope the Titan works great. That way will no what to get next time. Impressed with that little Arctic Cat.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by muskrat411
Looking for a track for my Tundra now. VK540 not sure if I'll ever see again sounds like Yamaha trying to squirm out of there warranty. Yamaha has really gone down hill as a company. Be paying for two more years on a machine that ran for 1 hour since November and may never run again.
Stan Zuray I wonder if his VK is still running. I should have just bought another Tundra. But so much trouble with Jack shaft bearing. I hope the Titan works great. That way will no what to get next time. Impressed with that little Arctic Cat.

What happened to your VK ? I bought the Arctic Cat version late last winter. I did have trouble with one plug but other than that its been fine so far. Only have about 1000 km on it though. Its sure better on fuel than any other 2-stroke Ive had.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 06:14 PM

I had trouble with killing plugs right off the start. Then the head gasket went. They reset the oil pump and it was good for the rest of the year.
Then this fall out of nowhere it blew a piston about 2500 km. I sent it to Yukon Yamaha. They had it all winter I finally got it back a week or two ago. It ran an hour and blasted a hole right though the engine housing. Sent it back but sounds like they are trying to weasel there way out of the extended warranty.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 06:17 PM

Yamaha should shoehorn a phaser 4 stroke engine into the VK540 frame.then they would have something.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 07:43 PM

I had trouble with killing plugs right off the start. Then the head gasket went. They reset the oil pump and it was good for the rest of the year.
Then this fall out of nowhere it blew a piston about 2500 km. I sent it to Yukon Yamaha. They had it all winter I finally got it back a week or two ago. It ran an hour and blasted a hole right though the engine housing. Sent it back but sounds like they are trying to weasel there way out of the extended warranty.

Wow that sucks. Did they give you any ideas of why it was killing plugs in the beginning? Wonder what caused it to blow out the side of your engine. That would be interesting to know. I know a guy that has about 2500 km on an arctic cat version like mine and hes been trouble free so far. I will only deal with Listers. They have been good to me for 30-years now. Hope Yamaha fixes it for you. The older VKs were bullet proof machines for the most part.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/14/19 11:31 PM

Interesting your thoughts on Yamaha as a company. I good guy I know and guide thru in Canada is the biggest single user of Yamaha outboards in the country. Every 4-5 years a van load of Asians show up at the base and go over the motors top to bottom and ask us questions thru the interpetors on how to make them better. To this day I cannot think of one suggestion they ever acted on.
To the OP, congrats, great looking sled. I bought my first Polaris sled this year and the Titan model may be coming up here this fall. I really look forward to your review as well.
Osky

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 08:36 AM

After I chased the wolves on the way to my camp I looked down and the odometer said 54 miles. Seen 4 wolves on mackenzie. Had a good chance at one. I think o would’ve got all 4 but the overcast weather made for dull light which is dangerous for going fast. I played it safe and got 1 anyways.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 03:36 PM

Way to go on getting a wolf. Titan already paying for itself. Now come on this side and get that wall eating grizzly bear. I took the stairs off my house and put up an expanded steel deck in front of the door.

Anybody on here have any experience with bears walking on expanded steel? Im hoping they think its a trap and stay away from it. Too bad I could not figure out a way to electrify it.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 03:41 PM

I don't like to run a new machine full bore until the engine is broke in for a few hundred km's.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 03:56 PM

How many tanks of gas you run with mix at the start Boco?

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 04:50 PM

On the two strokes I run the first couple hundred kms with a bit of extra oil,then change out the plugs.
I like to run at variable speeds intermittently no one speed for an extended time,for about the first 200 kms,and I don't run full pin hardly ever,unless I need to if on bad ice or slush.I cant say for sure if that is the best way to break in a new engine,but I have had quite a few brand new snowmachines,bikes vehicles etc over the years and never really had engine trouble,except once on a 2002 tundra 2 which had a bad piston from the oil pump not delivering enough oil.Had to replace the piston,then it ran good for years after.
Basic regular maintenance each spring before storage is also very important to a machines longevity.
I don't believe in paying for extended warrantys.I am of the opinion if you get a lemon problems will show up right off the bat,and should be covered under the regular warranty for manufacturers defects.
Even with an extended warranty,abuse,etc isn't covered anyway.
Buying extended warrantys are a scam in my opinion.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 05:04 PM

I love extended warranty always worth every penny.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I don't like to run a new machine full bore until the engine is broke in for a few hundred km's.

Same here. That’s why I only got one wolf. Still haven’t used more than half throttle. If I was younger and dumber I would’ve tried my hardest to get the four I seen. I chose one and took it easy.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/15/19 08:42 PM

Nothing bad to say about the new ride. One of the smoothest riding I’ve ever had. Power to spare. I expected the gas mileage to be a shocking difference after running 4 stroke for 3 seasons but it’s a lot better on gas than I expected. A high windshield is about all I’ll change for now. Really no rush though since spring is kicking back in now.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/16/19 08:12 PM

Yukon254: Do you have trouble with the VK running on one when you start it on cold mornings? Mine was awfull for that. Had to sit outside about 1/2 hour to keep restarting it. And it would only run on the one side until it warmed up completely. I had them put a primer on it as I heard that that would make a difference. But my VK did not run long enough to find out. Hopefully I get it back and will be able to report on that.
Also do you have trouble with getting steamed out when you go through deep powder snow that flies up the hood and into the fan? Also sticks getting in there? Don't know why Yamaha cant put a plastic guard over them holes?

Way to go on the wolf Neck Shot now go get some cabin chewing grizzlies with that Titan. Your 900 ACE will really curse you up as you leave. Wolverine Joe Veneltsi said he was heading up today try and cut off the bear that was wrecking camps on McPhoo side last summer.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/16/19 08:30 PM

Yeah I might go for a ride this weekend. I’ll be happy to just see the mountains but there’s got to be some tracks worth following.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/16/19 10:59 PM

Yeah that dump bear must be almost 7'6" when it comes out this spring it was huge before it left and it left the dump in early September so it must have had lots of time to grow. Its belly was dragging the ground. So might be worth being picky for a little while.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/17/19 01:46 AM

Always worth being picky.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/17/19 09:48 PM

Yukon254: Do you have trouble with the VK running on one when you start it on cold mornings? Mine was awfull for that. Had to sit outside about 1/2 hour to keep restarting it. And it would only run on the one side until it warmed up completely. I had them put a primer on it as I heard that that would make a difference. But my VK did not run long enough to find out. Hopefully I get it back and will be able to report on that.
Also do you have trouble with getting steamed out when you go through deep powder snow that flies up the hood and into the fan? Also sticks getting in there? Don't know why Yamaha cant put a plastic guard over them holes?

Way to go on the wolf Neck Shot now go get some cabin chewing grizzlies with that Titan. Your 900 ACE will really curse you up as you leave. Wolverine Joe Veneltsi said he was heading up today try and cut off the bear that was wrecking camps on McPhoo side last summer.

Yes I did have trouble with my VK running on one cylinder when its cold. I noticed it would steam up the windshield sometimes, but its much better in that regard than my old bearcat. I've heard the same thing about the primer helping in the cold, Im going to put one on this fall. Sure hope mine holds up.

Good luck on the bears guys.
Posted By: Inupiaq

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/21/19 08:51 PM

WTG, Ryan. I too have a Titan XC. Best machine I've ever ridden. I have 3 Skidoos in the shop. The Expedition LE still has some electrical issue. No life showing up at all. My two summits are getting their engines rebuilt but I will sell them. The biggest reason for the Titan was I didn't want to depend on electronics to start it. I don't want to be out in the country and have a relay go bad, or a start button, or this, or that. Just turn the key and start and/or turn the key and pull.

I also love the 800 cc power, the gas shocks all around, the big track, rack space on the back. I put the extra wide skis on, high windshield, skid-plate, back rack, and it comes with a hitch. Got them to throw an extra belt and cover in. $15K landed here in Kotz. I also like the displays, I have mine set on the engine temp. Could care less how fast I'm going. My normal temp is 104 degrees or so. When my back flap broke up, my temp went up to 159. Nice to know! What other sleds have that? This XC model is so awesome. Doesn't even feel like I'm riding a widetrack, feels like a cross-over sled.

Drawbacks? I have to add some octane booster. Makes a BIG difference through on the performance. Very smooth. The back flap is plastic (broke to pieces after one year of hauling wood). Also, bc it's a widetrack, it's a little heavy. I got it stuck twice in the same day, but both times as in that fluffy, air-pocket type snow over willow tips. Both times I used a small spruce tree as a wedge to tip the machine over so I can pack the snow under the track and put a couple more small trees under there. The gas mileage ain't that great, but hey, the positives FAR outweigh the negatives, imo. I can't wait to get my Expedition figured out so I can do some same day performance comparisons out in the country.

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/24/19 01:22 AM

Hello inupiaq. I agree the ride is one of the smoothest I’ve seen yet. I’ve been getting decent mileage so I was surprised you mentioned it not having great gas mileage. I have no complaints so far besides the cheap snow flap which will be changed to a semi truck mud flap. I will also change the tow hitch. I don’t really like the hook set up it comes with. I love the power.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Polaris Titan - 04/24/19 04:31 PM

Thats a sweet looking sled for sure. Just looking at it,makes you wanna crack that throttle wide open. grin
Posted By: Three Pistols

Re: Polaris Titan - 08/12/21 01:31 AM

Hey Guys,

I am looking at buying a 2018 Polaris Titan Adventure that has low mileage to use at my off grid cabin in the bush. I found this thread when trying to research the machine. Do you still approve of this sled? Any issues? I read that there has been complaints of tunnel noise/droning when at lower speeds. I guess it is a known design issue. I want to buy this sled but need due diligence before dropping 18k.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks Guys
© 2024 Trapperman Forums