Home

Alaskan fish

Posted By: AJE

Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 03:53 AM

How come it's so hard to find Alaskan (or even canadian fish for that matter) here in Wi? No matter what grocery store I go to, it seems impossible to find fish from good sources. Easy to find fish from places like China though. The doctor told me to eat more protein, but I hate buying such foreign fish.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 05:05 AM

Ask the store manager. Call and ask corporate headquarters.
I'm surprised you can't find wild caught fish. What kind of grocery stores are you shopping at? Large chain stores or??
I'm curious what kind of fish you are finding.
What kind of fish are you finding from China? I'd be suspicious of any food products coming out of China.
Posted By: EurekaTrapper

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 06:02 AM

Contact Family Trapper on this forum for the catch of the day.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 03:46 PM

Saw some huge farmed salmon in the grocery store on Maui. Huge!
Posted By: Hupurest

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 05:06 PM

one problem may be that the season is just getting under way, and there isnt alot of supply, and what there is, sells at a premium. I saw some around $60 a lb for the first of the Copper River fish this year.
Its $14.95 a lb for fresh copper river reds here.

I wish i could get a $100 bill for each of the fish I kick back in the water with my muddy boot.... man, I bet the old pair of Burlies i just threw out probably kicked over $100,000 back into the creek...
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 09:06 PM

I get these at Sam's Club. I smoke them up to make the Smoked Salmon Cheese balls, and they work great.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/membe...ozen/prod22761070.ip?xid=plp_product_1_1

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 09:46 PM

"Almost half of the salmon, 43%, was mislabeled—and 69% of that mislabeling was farmed Atlantic salmon being sold as wild. Another type of fish fraud they saw was labeling a cheaper species of salmon with a more-expensive type, like pricy Chinook."

Paul, those pictures of your sockeyes look a might pale?
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 10:47 PM

Fresh Alaska sockeye is blood red.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/21/19 11:07 PM

If you like walleye, look into Red Lake Nation foods, sourced from Minnesota. They occasionally have other species as well.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/22/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt
"Almost half of the salmon, 43%, was mislabeled—and 69% of that mislabeling was farmed Atlantic salmon being sold as wild. Another type of fish fraud they saw was labeling a cheaper species of salmon with a more-expensive type, like pricy Chinook."

The picture on the package is paler than the fish inside. The meat looks similar to the Copper Reds I dipped out when I was up there. They look similar to these I got ready for smoking. These filets also came from Sams a couple years ago. They're darker red because they just came out of the brine.

[Linked Image]

Here are some of those Copper River reds I dipped out when dad came up for a visit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/22/19 12:44 AM

You guys are making me hungry. Actually I'm enjoying a great venison steak right now though.

joe, the doc actually did not mention eggs. But i enjoy about an egg a day on average. I've never thought of separating the yolk from the whites. I really like eggs.

As for where I've shopped for fish...I've never been to a Whole Foods. There's no Whole Foods or Sam's within an hour. I go to Walmart & IGA. The shrimp is the same way...all foreign. I'll look closer next time as maybe I wasn't looking close enough at the premium fish.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/22/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by Dirt

The picture on the package is paler than the fish inside. The meat looks similar to the Copper Reds I dipped out when I was up there. They look similar to these I got ready for smoking. These filets also came from Sams a couple years ago. They're darker red because they just came out of the brine.

[Linked Image]

Here are some of those Copper River reds I dipped out when dad came up for a visit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep. I know you know your stuff, Paul. Yum!!!
Posted By: trapped4ever

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/24/19 01:50 AM

Another good place for top quality seafood is Seafood Producers Cooperative in Sitka and Bellingham. Google search Alaska Gold Brand. SPC specializes in THE HIGHEST quality hook and line caught fish, meaning none of the lower quality gilnet or seine caught salmon is mixed in with the highest quality troll caught salmon. They have available salmon, halibut, black cod, spot prawns, and albacore. This is top quality seafood, so not cheap, but I believe 2 day shipping to your home is included in that price. They have a 75th anniversary sale going now, with $75 off sales over $300. Buying the bulk value/ restaurant packages is by far the best price per pound, if you have friends that want to split a larger volume, or if you want a lot yourself. Check out their website, and if anyone decides they want to order, PM me, and I can get you another 10% off the listed price, with a coupon code. As a producer, I can give out coupon codes to anyone I want to.
Posted By: Cytex

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/24/19 04:12 AM

One thing to look at if you want something less expensive is frozen salmon fillets from places like Walmart, or other big box stores.. If its labeled wild caught it is Alaska fish, it may say product of china but that is only because its been reprocessed there. A fairly large amount of Alaska fish are quick frozen shipped to China to specialty seafood facilities where they are de-boned, skinned, ect. whatever the customer wants. Then shipped back packaged as Great Value wild caught salmon fillets as an example. I am sure there are many others as well. It will bear the product of China label only because it was handled there. You would want to look for Sockeye(Red), Keta(Chum), or Pink Salmon in that product form. Wild caught King or Coho do not go through those plants so if you see Coho or Chinook as a product of a foreign country it will be farmed salmon(avoid).
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/24/19 04:34 PM

Trapped4ever, thanks for the info on Alaska Gold. Looks like they have some good stuff and the prices aren't all that crazy considering what you pay around here (middle of KY) for far lesser quality fish.

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/25/19 02:30 AM

Very interesting Cytex. I was wondering about that, as I have seen the label saying Alaskan fish was a product of China. It seemed sketchy to me when I've seen that labeling.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/25/19 02:36 AM

If it goes to China first,you don't know what the heck your getting back,I'd say.
Posted By: trapped4ever

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/25/19 03:52 AM

The Alaska Gold Brand, Seafood Producers Cooperative salmon, is mainly from the coastal waters of Southeast Alaska, hook and line caught, one at a time, while still actively feeding in the Gulf of Alaska. All SPC fish is processed in either Sitka, Alaska, or Bellingham, Washington, all at USDA approved facilities. This stuff is the highest quality seafood available. As a producer, I can tell you we take pride in our unwavering commitment to quality. All my fish are caught one at a time,bled, gutted, rinsed, and iced within 10 minutes of coming out of the water.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/25/19 06:05 AM

Trapped4ever - the pride in product shines. So do your high standards.
Thank you for the great fish. I will be ordering some halibut.
Best wishes.
Posted By: Cytex

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/25/19 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
If it goes to China first,you don't know what the heck your getting back,I'd say.

I don't know about all fish, but the frozen salmon fillets supplied by Silver Bay, Trident, Icicle seafoods that are reprocessed in China have QC agents through the whole process so your certainly getting the same fish back. Just saying if you can afford $25-$50 a pound the AK gold and such outfits are a great product, if your budget is $5 a pound you can get frozen AK salmon fillets at that price point.

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/25/19 05:29 PM

If you're paying $25 a pound, you may be better off coming up and getting your own. 15 pounds of fillets a day minimum times $25 equals $375. Just kick the net marked ones back in.

Re: Alaskan fish - 05/26/19 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
My thought too.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Alaskan fish - 06/04/19 09:50 AM

My buddy and I ordered some from Family Trapper on here ( Alaskanwildcaught.com) and it was great stuff. It was maybe $1 more a pound than Sams Club wild caught salmon but much better. If we had ordered more it would have been the same price or cheaper, plus was supporting one of our own on this site. I'll be ordering from Len again!!!
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Alaskan fish - 07/04/19 02:18 AM

Cheap, healthy, and renewable protein resource= sardines.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums