Home

New wolf snares?

Posted By: alaska viking

New wolf snares? - 08/23/19 01:26 AM

Looking to have 3-4 dozen 3/32"x19 snares made up with "toothed", (notched), cam-locks. With 6' of pigtailed #9 attached
I see the Snare Sop now want's $40.60, per dozen for their wolf snares, including inferior Berkshire locks.
Guess the tariffs on cheap Chinese steel is catching up?
P.M. me, or just post suggestions.
Posted By: Newt

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/23/19 12:48 PM

3/32"

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/23/19 02:37 PM

Oops. Thanks, Newt.
Might consider micro-locks with kill-springs, but have no experience with them, yet.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/23/19 04:12 PM

I have not caught a lot of wolves, but both the toothed cam lock and the micro lock, both with a 50# compression spring have work very well for me on both the wolves and coyotes I have caught being DOA and most with very little site disturbance.

My preferred and most efficient coyote/wolf snare:
--6 ft of 1X19 5/64 cable with end swivel for attaching +/- 6 ft extension to it.
--using a 3/32 micro lock on 5/64 loaded cable.
--50 lb compression spring
--double 3/32 ferrule for a whammy

Good success in wooded areas requires tying off high and SOLID in most situations to a tree or something that does not bend. A solid tie allows for solid locking and tying high keeps the snare and lock high up on the back of the neck by forming an angle of about 45 degree from the animal to the snare tie/anchor point. This will make the snare set up on the neck just behind the ears where the carotid arteries are most exposed, which is the desired kill zone for a snare. Also, if the coyote/wolf pulls backwards the snare will be over top of its head and it won’t be able to chew.

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/23/19 04:33 PM

Thanks, BC. Where does one buy such snares?

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/23/19 04:36 PM

I don't know, I have always built my own.
Posted By: isnarewolves

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/23/19 04:36 PM

Save money and made your own. Not really necessary to have 9 wire pigtail.
Posted By: trapper ron

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/24/19 02:51 AM

My snare very close to what Tom described only using the Magnum springs for wolves . Build myself for about $5.00 Can each. I use #9 support wire in a drilled hole at an angle in the anchor tree and then goes through a whammy on the snare.
Marty Senneker in Alberta is the person who has the toothed cam locks, springs, and triggers made up for the Senneker snaring system. Although not on his store page he does make and sell snares. Marty snares around 600 coyotes a year. I closely follow his snare making instructions. https://www.martysenneker.com/ Website: https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Moose maniac

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/24/19 03:57 PM

Trapper Gord’s in debolt Alberta will have what you need you can go on his website and look
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/28/19 08:02 AM

Thru trial and error,
I found i liked the setup as described by BC tomcat
6ft 5/64 1×19 with 50 # kill spring, except with 6 ft of #9 pigtailed.
I build dozens each year. You couldnt pay me to use those garbage Berkshires. I have 2 pigtail bender jigs. Buy all the parts and i would be happy to show you how I assemble them. It is pretty satisfying to catch a wolf....or 8, in snares that you made yourself.
Posted By: 160user

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/29/19 01:34 PM

Rally Hess on here will build you whatever you need.

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/29/19 04:08 PM

I sent Rally a p.m., as well as a text.
No answer, yet.
Posted By: martenpine

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/29/19 08:42 PM

You sure you want to use camlocks in Southeast? I would think you would have problems with the locks freezing up in that climate. Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't snare when I was living down there, but I know it's a issue up here when we end up with a warm spell, especially if there's rain involved.
Posted By: white17

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/30/19 02:17 AM

X2 On Martenpine's post.

I refuse to use camlocks. Just a nightmare !!
Posted By: 160user

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/30/19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
No answer, yet.

He's killing Beaver like a mad man for the county right now.

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/30/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by white17
X2 On Martenpine's post.

I refuse to use camlocks. Just a nightmare !!

Agreed. After further consideration, am looking at micro-locks, and compression spring.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: New wolf snares? - 08/31/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
No answer, yet.

He's killing Beaver like a mad man for the county right now.

I was going to say the same .He gose after alot of beaver. Spend alot time out after them.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/01/19 02:31 AM

Yep, couldn't believe how much the price had jumped on snares last year, so I am building my own. I am trying the kill springs with surelocks/berkshire. I had issues with those locks bending, so hoping the kill spring will help with that. I'm assuming it is possible to get multiple uses out of a kill spring? Or is it a one and done type thing?

Another note, anyone have experience using snares after a forest fire? Had a chunk of my line burned over this year and imagine some snares took a hit. I'm thinking they should be gtg as long as they look decent.

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/01/19 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper
I'm assuming it is possible to get multiple uses out of a kill spring? Or is it a one and done type thing?
Generally no, occasionally yes. I have no experience with the surelocks/berkshires but have had very good success with micro locks with compression springs.
Posted By: Boco

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/01/19 04:33 AM

I wouldn't take a chance on snares that have been thru a fire.One or two nice Alaska wolves lost would pay for a lot of new snares.Snares are cheap if you make your own.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/01/19 06:41 PM

I don’t think I would use any snares that went through a fire either. I know I have had a lot of traps rendered useless and I would think on a snare internal corrosion may have ruined them already.
Posted By: wyo marten man

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/20/19 07:59 PM

typically you can get multiple uses out of kill spring for most animals anyway. I have not used surelocks in years (my first snares made 20 years ago I used them) I prefer ambergs now. Now I have only taken one wolf with the amberg locks/kill springs but I can tell you, set up right you will get a good number of catches where there is no catch circles or disturbance of any kind due to the quickness of the kill. I have caught loads of coyotes with the set up and the one wolf I did catch in the set up had no disturbance to the sight. just my two cents. I enjoy making snares. I would be happy to show you the set up sometime if interested.

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/21/19 02:19 PM

Always interested in new things.
Our very own hft ak built me a dozen 5/64x1x19, with 3/32 slim-locks, and Senneker kill springs. Bought the tool for setting the springs, and looking forward to trying them.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/22/19 11:29 PM

I hope you connect with one smile

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/22/19 11:44 PM

You will be the second to know!
Any moose luck?
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/23/19 06:54 AM

Seen a few, just no shooters. Almost pulled the trigger tonight but wasn't 100 percent sure it was a fork. Always tomorrow smile
Posted By: wyo marten man

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/24/19 12:09 AM

Always interested in new things.
Our very own hft ak built me a dozen 5/64x1x19, with 3/32 slim-locks, and Senneker kill springs. Bought the tool for setting the springs, and looking forward to trying them.

I have used slim locks for cat snares in mountain west and really liked the smoothness of them and simplistic design but they are two relaxed and wouldn’t stay cinched tight would see this on canines especially. Now mine did not have kill springs which might have kept that from happening but decided to switch to a nonrelaxed lock. I am sure with the senneker kill spring it will be lethal will be curious to see how you like them!!

Re: New wolf snares? - 09/24/19 12:36 AM

Yeah, just fooling with them in the garage, I agree that they can slip without the spring, but with the spring, they don't budge.
Hopefully, time will tell.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums