Home

Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska

Posted By: flowingwater72

Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/01/19 10:46 PM

i believe it is time in alaska to have trap tags and tmanditory trap checks in alaska maybe evan a trappers education. i see alot of unethical things going on. around talkeetna and the parks highway. what is evryones opinon? keep it cleen.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/01/19 11:05 PM

Trap tags are good for anti's to place your trap somewhere and blame you!
Trap check times are a good way to make trapping in Alaska so expensive that many will quit doing it.
Perhaps trapper education would help some but would also just make it more difficult to become a trapper! Our numbers are decreasing as it is.
mt

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/01/19 11:23 PM

see my problem is i found traps a day before season set and some close to a comon fishing spot right by a trail and last year i found a trap that was set for beaver. i came back a week laiter to see if some one was still trapping there and the trap was still set but it was 3 feet under water. my problem is that it was in the spring and if the man would have got a beaver it would have been no good. The trapper education i think is a must becouse some of these guys just have know idea or havent been tought right.

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/01/19 11:27 PM

[Linked Image]
this was the set i found last year. that i came back a week laiter and it was under water. but to me if this guy was properly tought maybe we would have les educated animals and he might have beter luck. granted i am not the best trapper in the world bit come on

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/01/19 11:28 PM

Just like gun control..................a few poor individuals make it OK to change things for everyone! I'm not on that idea train. Spring beaver are plenty good!
mt
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/01/19 11:45 PM

Checks and tags, NOPE will never support it. All for the educational aspect though, that way when a dumb butt gets caught there are no excuses. Agree with martentrapper, one dumb butt shouldn't constitute change and all three of those topics, mandatory trapper education, tags, and check times are all hot button topics here in AK.
If you found gear set illegally did you call the troopers?

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 12:22 AM

yes but they have no idea who set them.
Posted By: nooksack

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 01:00 AM

So if I understand you... Create more laws for those who don't abide by laws to not abide by?

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 01:04 AM

What was illegal about the picture you posted?
mt

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 01:17 AM

that is the trapper education part
Posted By: jeremiah52

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 02:28 AM

Sounds to me like some one is NEW to Alaska. For trapper education there is always the ATA schools and code of ethics. However if you do not have ethics then the education will not work either.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 02:37 AM

James, stop trolling.....
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 03:58 AM

I’m ok with trapper education and even more for non trapper education. Could be the guy was checking that beaver set every day ??
Posted By: Stan Z

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 04:48 AM

I'm 70 now and don't run as much line but for most of my years since 1973 when I started it normally took 5 - 7 days to run my line with my dogs depending on trail conditions. Then I'd spend some days at home and off again. It's still like that but less days and miles. I'd quit trapping so fast if they ever went to 48 hour checks. Not interested. It's barely worth it any more anyway and that would be the death of trapping here. I will admit I would run less line and check more in beginning of each season and do the same in spring when trapping late wolves and wolverine because of the warm weather and the problems that brings for trapping. I suppose if you trapped close to a populated area where people are against trapping you have to do things to get along with people but that is why I live in Tanana, Alaska and trap where nobody else hardly ever goes. Happy trapping this year. Stan
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 05:50 AM

My partner and I run a 250 mile loop on snowmachines to trap. We run it once a week, it takes 24 hours to run, we overnight. No way we could do it every 48 hours!
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 02:52 PM

ATA has constantly fought against MANDATORY trap checks and tagging for years. If you wish to tag your traps and check them every day (or 3X per day for that matter....) Knock yourself out. As Stan points out above, requiring trap checks in most of Alaska is just plain dangerous.

ATA also advocates VOLUNTARY trapper education. A smart new trapper will avail he/her self of the opportunity to do so. But to require it is overkill.

When I talk to new trappers who want to pass a bunch of new regulations to make Alaska like the L-48 states they came from, I urge them to broaden their horizons and think about all the other thousands of trappers out there. Don't get fixated on trying to pass a statewide law to make yourself happy. Your situation is not the situation for all trappers all across the state.

May we be assured that you reported the violations you witnessed? Is there something that leads you to believe that your local F&W Trooper is not smart enough to catch a violator? That seems to be a bit presumptuous to me.

Pete
Posted By: white17

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 04:20 PM

Bad idea !! Wouldn't support those ideas
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 08:29 PM

Where I operate, it would be impossible. Any mandatory time frame, other than "as often as is deemed safe by the trapper".
I trap in a nasty marine environment that is not what lower 48 folks envision when they think of such.
And others here operate in even worse.
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/02/19 09:55 PM

I think we need to have mandatory spelling/punctuation check requirements on here... At least once every other post.

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/03/19 12:07 AM

Care to elaborate, self-professed greenhorn?
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/03/19 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Care to elaborate, self-professed greenhorn?

Wasn't thinking of you, AV smile

But if the shoo fits where it, lol.

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/03/19 02:39 AM

I no. Jyst kidung.
On anuther nooit, piked the zookeeny today, bee4 the frost hitts. Perty gud, butr stil a lurl grewn.

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/03/19 02:40 AM

At least it's in the mail.
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/03/19 11:30 AM

Speaking from experience in my state, once the regulation train starts rolling, it becomes almost impossible to stop. You'll wish you'd never brought it up.
Posted By: yask65

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/04/19 12:51 AM

so you just joined the page and one of the first post you are going to make is to put limitations on trappers ? not quite sure how appropriate that is but . i would be with keeping the laws the way they are and not try to add to the ones are in force . trapper education now every one could use some of that .
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/04/19 05:15 AM

I think a common sense approach to the Ops issue would have been to leave a kind, friendly non derogatory note near said trap....sounds like a " one off " situation. Trying to implement a statewide regulation based on one situation seems rather foolish. The tag issue has been thrown around and dismissed in SE. I'd also like to know if the OP is a member of a state or national trapping organization.

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/04/19 02:14 PM

I notice that the OP has not come back to answer any of the comments....

Pete
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/04/19 03:53 PM

Welcome to Alaska. You will see a lot of fish and game violations among other inconsiderate stuff. Get use to it.

Posted By: danvee

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/06/19 02:55 AM

Not from Alaska but don't give up any freedom you have. I do believe in trapper education mostly to bring in young trappers and keep things going but as far as trap checks and tags leave it be. Call the game warden and let them deal with it or just let it be.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/10/19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 20shortlong
yes but they have no idea who set them.

If this is what the troopers told you then that is a cop-out. Anybody can set a trail cam or 2, even you.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/10/19 11:11 PM

Enforcememt in Alaska is a joke. Your picture is small potatoes compared to the stuff that I watch all summer that has longterm conservation implications.

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/11/19 01:40 AM

thanks evryone i probaly made my self look stupid. but i realy apricate evryones opnion. you guys changed my mind on how i feel about it. and yes i cannot hardly spell

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/11/19 04:46 PM

No one wants you to look stupid. Lots of folks want you to understand how the situation here may be different than where you came from.

Pete
Posted By: WBG

Re: Trap tag requirement/ 48 hour trap chek in alaska - 10/13/19 04:33 PM

jwood, I was at the furbearer meeting in the spring of 2013 or 2014 when Dana and Depue first proposed the exclusion devise as a means of setting on the ground. My question was if we introduce them, how long before the antis require their use. You know the answer. What has happened in Maine is a good example of what trying to appease the antis leads to. Never give an inch.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums