Home

Off Grid fur care

Posted By: Machias

Off Grid fur care - 11/26/19 05:04 PM

Howdy folks, I currently live off the grid in Northern Idaho. Wondering how you guys who live in a wilderness area deal with taking care of your fur after the catch. Once skinned, fleshed and boarded how do you care for them? Any problems if they freeze and thaw? I do not have a way to put any heat on them. I just have a 16X24 foot cabin that the wife and I live in and we are gone most days to work. Once you get them on the board how do you take care of them? Thanks for any thoughts or advice!
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/26/19 07:40 PM

If your not able to sell them quickly can you hang them outside? I used to hang marten on a string in bundles of 25 or so and hang then outside with a plastic garbage bag over them. They would have to be safe from rodents/squirrels.
By off grid I assume you mean no electricity. You could also keep them in the house till you have enough to send to an auction or buyer.
mt
Posted By: white17

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/26/19 08:12 PM

Same here. Once dry I hung them all on a wire and slipped the wire over a pole. Drop a bag over it with the open end down and hang outside. Keep the sun off of them.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/26/19 10:05 PM

All I ever did was hang them in a cool shaded area of my shop until shipping time, with no problems.

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/27/19 01:04 AM

Thanks, I don't have a shop yet, just a shipping container. And the cabin is really out of the question, the wife hasn't left me yet, but I'm thinking that would be the final straw! smile I was worried about them freezing and thawing.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/27/19 05:00 AM

Once you get the time,build yourself a little fur shed/man cave about 12x16.Insulate it.When you light the fire to go skin and board some fur,the heat in there will dry your fur(don't hang it near the stove).Hanging frozen between sessions wont hurt it.Once its dry and off the boards hang the fur in an outbuilding like a wood shed,or your shipping container.Make sure mice cant get to it.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/27/19 06:07 PM

If you have thaws, meaning humidity, your less oily hides will rehydrate some from the moisture in the air. Therefore you need to protect them from the air.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/27/19 06:43 PM

Following up on what dirt says if it is humid and damp mildew could be a problem over time.

Re: Off Grid fur care - 11/27/19 07:29 PM

Not much humidity here, but I will keep an eye on that. Eventually when we build the house next spring/summer, the cabin we are living in will be my fur shed. Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the advice!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums